PDA

View Full Version : Neuroscience The Truth About Free Will

daledo
7th March 2011, 07:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G88_UqYha7E

Teakai
7th March 2011, 22:22
Hi Daledo - I've been having a think about this since you posted it and while very interesting I don't think it determines and binds the concept of freewill.

I wonder how the results would go if there were four choices to make.
Or if the person had to choose within less than 6 seconds.
Or if the person meditated prior to the experiment.

Depending on what we put into - or what we take out of - our sunconscious mind, by our own reactions or thoughts to a situation that may then change a particular timeline or life choice along the way.

There's so many variables to take into account that this experiment doesn't cover.

daledo
8th March 2011, 00:26
Hi Daledo - I've been having a think about this since you posted it and while very interesting I don't think it determines and binds the concept of freewill.

Depending on what we put into - or what we take out of - our sunconscious mind, by our own reactions or thoughts to a situation that may then change a particular timeline or life choice along the way.

There's so many variables to take into account that this experiment doesn't cover.

Teakai, thanks for your imput. I know that this is a slimmed down test with only 2 choices but it is showing that your brain knows and shows 6 seconds before the actual response is displayed by the individual. I just thought it was interesting and hopefully will lead to more advanced tests in the future.

Flash
8th March 2011, 01:37

Teakai, thanks for your imput. I know that this is a slimmed down test with only 2 choices but it is showing that your brain knows and shows 6 seconds before the actual response is displayed by the individual. I just thought it was interesting and hopefully will lead to more advanced tests in the future.

I had such an experience with a more complex situation. I was taking a course in non verbal language and part of the concept to analyse non verbal language was a bit difficult to me but I had not realized it yet.
As I was listening, I suddenly scratch the top of my head. The instructor, an expert in non verbal language, saw this and asked me: yes - my name - there is something that you do not understand, may I help you, what is it? To my astonishment, I then realised she was right, I did not understand but was not aware of it yet, she was in front of my own consciousness.

I realised then that it is worthless to hide anything, most of us could see everything unconsciously anyhow, even if were are never conscious of it, better be yourself in truth all around.

I also realised that our ego is very mistaken into thinking that we have freedom of choice.

I concluded that freedom of choice, being limited at first, comes from making the unconscious conscious and then deciding about our values, beliefs, and what we want to change, in thinking and behavior. this demands quite a lot of discipline, will and heart and is related to what mystics and spiritual masters tell us since aons.

This is my humble take on something I do not catch completely yet.