PDA

View Full Version : no food or water for 70 years? indian man now undergoing trials at hospital

Vidya Moksha
30th April 2010, 05:57
there was a thread about not eating, but i cant find it (ok im too lazy)

this guy claims he's up to 70 years now without food or water

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8652837.stm

Grizzom
30th April 2010, 09:03
A joint and a happy meal should make him feel much better :p

Swanny
30th April 2010, 09:29
I bet Tesco's don't like him :)

Anchor
10th May 2010, 11:01
How does he live? Starving yogi 'blessed by goddess' astounds doctors
May 10, 2010 - 5:04PM

http://www.smh.com.au/world/how-does-he-live-starving-yogi-blessed-by-goddess--astounds-doctors-20100510-uo80.html

An 83-year-old Indian holy man who says he has spent seven decades without food or water has astounded a team of military doctors who studied him during a two-week observation period.

Prahlad Jani spent a fortnight in a hospital in the western India state of Gujarat under constant surveillance from a team of 30 medics equipped with cameras and closed circuit television.

During the period, he neither ate nor drank and did not go to the toilet.

"We still do not know how he survives," neurologist Sudhir Shah told reporters after the end of the experiment.

"It is still a mystery what kind of phenomenon this is."

The long-haired and bearded yogi was sealed in a hospital in the city of Ahmedabad in a study initiated by India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), the state defence and military research institute.

The DRDO hopes that the findings, set to be released in greater detail in several months, could help soldiers survive without food and drink, assist astronauts or even save the lives of people trapped in natural disasters.

"(Jani's) only contact with any kind of fluid was during gargling and bathing periodically during the period," G. Ilavazahagan, director of India's Defence Institute of Physiology and Allied Sciences (DIPAS), said in a statement.

Jani has since returned to his village near Ambaji in northern Gujarat where he will resume his routine of yoga and meditation. He says that he was blessed by a goddess at a young age, which gave him special powers.

During the 15-day observation, which ended on Thursday, the doctors took scans of Jani's organs, brain, and blood vessels, as well as doing tests on his heart, lungs and memory capacity.

"The reports were all in the pre-determined safety range through the observation period," Shah told reporters at a press conference last week.

Other results from DNA analysis, molecular biological studies and tests on his hormones, enzymes, energy metabolism and genes will take months to come through.

"If Jani does not derive energy from food and water, he must be doing that from energy sources around him, sunlight being one," said Shah.

"As medical practitioners we cannot shut our eyes to possibilities, to a source of energy other than calories."

AFP

greybeard
11th May 2010, 22:03
What one can do, all can do.
But not yet!!!
India the home of mystics has produced many yogis who have genuinely done amazing things.
Lots of frauds also but thats the way of it.
Even in Western culture there have been miraculous things done by Christian Saints and others.
Levitation, surviving on just the "host".
Padre Pio was seen at several locations at the same time. The sigmata dissapeared within a short time of his death but the blood stained hand bandages were proof of the validity of his stigmata.
More in Heaven and Earth than we know of.
Chris

Swanny
12th May 2010, 08:14
Have they still got him in the hospital?

Peace of Mind
12th May 2010, 15:55
^^ I want to know too. I hope this story dosen't just dwindle away like the spiral lights in Norway did...

Peace

giovonni
14th May 2010, 00:15
An 83-year-old Indian holy man who says he has spent seven decades without food or water has astounded a team of military doctors who studied him during a two-week observation period.

Prahlad Jani spent a fortnight in a hospital in the western India state of Gujarat under constant surveillance from a team of 30 medics equipped with cameras and closed circuit television.

During the period, he neither ate nor drank and did not go to the toilet.

"We still do not know how he survives," neurologist Sudhir Shah told reporters after the end of the experiment. "It is still a mystery what kind of phenomenon this is."

The long-haired and bearded yogi was sealed in a hospital in the city of Ahmedabad in a study initiated by India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), the state defence and military research institute.

The DRDO hopes that the findings, set to be released in greater detail in several months, could help soldiers survive without food and drink, assist astronauts or even save the lives of people trapped in natural disasters.

"(Jani's) only contact with any kind of fluid was during gargling and bathing periodically during the period," G. Ilavazahagan, director of India's Defence Institute of Physiology and Allied Sciences (DIPAS), said in a statement.

Jani has since returned to his village near Ambaji in northern Gujarat where he will resume his routine of yoga and meditation. He says that he was blessed by a goddess at a young age, which gave him special powers.

During the 15-day observation, which ended on Thursday, the doctors took scans of Jani's organs, brain, and blood vessels, as well as doing tests on his heart, lungs and memory capacity.

"The reports were all in the pre-determined safety range through the observation period," Shah told reporters at a press conference last week.

Other results from DNA analysis, molecular biological studies and tests on his hormones, enzymes, energy metabolism and genes will take months to come through.

"If Jani does not derive energy from food and water, he must be doing that from energy sources around him, sunlight being one," said Shah.

"As medical practitioners we cannot shut our eyes to possibilities, to a source of energy other than calories."

original story here;
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.ce6e076d355a498ef621bad2bbef1a3 2.f1&show_article=1

TigaHawk
14th May 2010, 13:19
Diddnt take long for them to call it a hoax

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/1052663/experts-reject-starving-holy-mans-tale

BUT SCIENCE SAYS ITS NOT POSSIBIBBIBBLE!!!

East Sun
14th May 2010, 15:28
One of the first things 'they' think of is, how this could be used in war. What an incredible contradiction in understanding spirituality. If anything, it could be used for the opposite--to show that there is far more to humanity than killing to accumulate material riches. There should be no problem in finding out if it is a hoax. Hospital workers would soon find out if he can go on without food or water by not forcing him to eat or giving him nutrition by artificial means and thereby killing the chance of his showing he is telling the truth. But then he might die and they would be responsible. I wonder why he went to the hospital.

onawah
14th May 2010, 18:26
If he is a Breatharian, then his body is able to take the sustenance it needs from Sun, air, pollen, energy from the earth and cosmos. Someone trapped in a a space module or rubble would not have the same access as someone living in a natural environment.

Peace of Mind
14th December 2010, 18:47
As usual, some of the most interesting stories in life are almost always swepted under the rug. I wonder why there isn't an update to this. The last I heard was the doctors studying him for 2 weeks and he didn't drink or eat a thing. Why is this so quite? This story was a hot topic on many news stations...now you can't find anything on it, hmm...this is arguably one of the most important topics to date, imho.

Any one here have any updates to Prahlad Jani? thanks in advance...

Peace

lisa
14th December 2010, 19:03

There is a movie coming out that talks about him: http://www.lemonde.fr/cinema/article/2010/12/14/lumiere-un-film-pesant-sur-la-diete_1452963_3476.html

s36JoehC0Os

Anchor
14th December 2010, 22:00
As usual, some of the most interesting stories in life are almost always swepted under the rug. I wonder why there isn't an update to this. The last I heard was the doctors studying him for 2 weeks and he didn't drink or eat a thing. Why is this so quite? This story was a hot topic on many news stations...now you can't find anything on it, hmm...this is arguably one of the most important topics to date, imho.

Peace

In the 1970's Swami Rama wandered into a Doctrors lab and made cancer grow on his arm. Doc tested it, yup - cancer.

Then he made it go away again.

This is a story you don't hear too often because it p*ss*s people off that there are people who have mastered time and space :)

bashi
14th December 2010, 22:15
exuEPnhVep8

Here another one, enjoy:

WZTUF_cM86M

Samson
17th December 2010, 10:44
Breatharians claim that their bodies do not consume reserves while fasting. Sofar ALL claims are proven to be fraudulent, but i had some fun reading about it.

http://www.rationalistinternational.net/article/20031201_en.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia

lightblue
17th December 2010, 11:45
samson
Breatharians claim that their bodies do not consume reserves while fasting. Sofar ALL claims are proven to be fraudulent, but i had some fun reading about it.

"evidence" below, the one you are employing to conclude that jain's claims are fraudelant is flankly laughable - it is based on assumptions and assumptions alone...though why not carry on having fun if that pleases you ..:wink: l

"It is shocking to see that government officials and scientists are so gullible to believe that a human being can survive 60 years without food and water! The claim does not only contradict experience and common sense, but also ourwell-established biological and medical knowledge about the functioning of the human body. It is absolutely impossible that it is true - if it was, it would disprove the laws of physiology and we would have to rewrite our scientific text books!"

The MoD had sent a team of physicians to Charada village in Gujarat state to conduct medical tests on one Prahlad Jani, a 78-year-old man, who claims he lives without food and water since 60 years. "We are trying to understand how he has been able to remain without food and water for so many years", said neuro-physician Dr. Sudhir Shah, who heads the team, very seriously. "NASA is involved in the project which is being coordinated by the MoD and has issued specific guidelines not to disclose any details about Jani."

MariaDine
17th December 2010, 12:19
Thank you Bashi for the videos. The process of argentinian Victor is most interessing. Again like in reiki the 21 days are very important for soul advencement. The »cleaning process». I already spend several days without eating, but still I drink liquids. :)

It's not easy, because I have intense daily physical acticity , besides teaching Yoga.

.......like everything, one must exercise moderation and non-violence towards one self. Harmony is the way.

Namaste

lightblue
17th December 2010, 12:27
Thank you Bashi for the videos. The process of argentinian Victor is most interessing. Again like in reiki the 21 days are very important for soul advencement. The »cleaning process». I already spend several days without eating, but still I drink liquids

maria, tread carefully...hope you've read and prepared yourself enough prior to going off food.. l

MariaDine
17th December 2010, 12:40
Remenber the the 40 days of Jesus in the desert and ascet John The Baptist....among others «sainsts» that -and I'm only talking about some of cristian examples- experimented that Way to connect to their innerself.

Tss...LghtBlue ! LOL...don't worry ! I have been doing it for decades... Ballet dancers don't eat much. So...it was really easy to continue the pratice.

I'm not anoretic ...as you can see in my profile picture (go to my page profile) ...LOL !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSb1Aud5Gkw&feature=channel

I'm the girl dancing with the soldier in the beginning of the video.

lightblue
17th December 2010, 12:47
Remenber the the 40 days of Jesus in the desert and ascet John The Baptist....among others «sainsts» that -and I'm only talking about some of cristian examples- experimented that Way to connect to their innerself.

maria, you can't just follow the saints' examples..saints for saints, you are not applying for sainthood i hope...why not speak to people who have done it...there's a thread on AV1 (archived) called "no food- no fear" by bashi...he's done it...the regime is not that simple given you want to keep healthy at the same time.... :yu: l

Samson
17th December 2010, 12:51
The fun part was about the breatharian who claimed he could hold his breath for 5 days... hilarious

In 1992, Sanal Edamaruku exposed the godman Pilot Baba who claimed that he survived in meditation under water for five days without breathing. Pilot Baba's under-water feat attracted national and international attention. He constructed a huge swimming pool in a Delhi public park, climbed down in front of a crowd of 4000, ordered water to be pumped in and stayed there underwater for four days. That was at least the claim.

But Edamaruku and his assistants exposed him. They found out that there was a special secret pipeline connection. Though water was pumped in, the tarpaulin-covered pool did not get wet inside, and the Baba had a comfortable time on its dry ground. Four years later, in 1996, he tried it again. This time he claimed to stay for four days buried under the earth. Edamaruku exposed him again in front of television cameras. This time he was sitting comfortably in an underground dug-up room.

And this is funny to

In 1999, there had been the widely reported case of Kumari Neerja from Jalaun district (Uttar Pradesh state), who claimed that she was the reincarnation of the Saraswati, the Hindu goddess of letters and literature. She stayed alone in a small closet and allegedly did not take any food for five years and did not excrete urine or stool. Since her managers announced that she would soon transform into a lifeless statue of Saraswati, the police was alarmed.

In cooperation with the police, our young rationalist investigators and physicians verified her room and found the entry to a little toilet hidden behind a shelf and a brick hole, through which she received food. Blood tests revealed the presence of glucose, indicating the intake of food. When finally a harmless gas, causing vomiting sensation, was released into her room, she vomited pieces of chapatti and potatoes. The confused woman turned out to be a mental case and was admitted to the local government hospital.

I dont see anything wrong in going 21 days off food for detoxing and soul advencement... but the human body is mainly made of water, so its common sence to keep it wet.

lightblue
17th December 2010, 12:57
samson
The fun part was about the breatharian who claimed he could hold his breath for 5 days... hilarious

sorry i thought you said you had fun reading about prehlad jain's example...but then, you were talking about some other people now i see.. :) l

MariaDine
17th December 2010, 13:20
Lighblue...you are right ! :) I 'm no saint ...LOL
I take great care with what I eat and drink. The habit began when I was very young, beause I did many fasts while is christian School. So the body is already use to go without food from early age. Ballet also began in my chilhood years. All that paved the way.

MariaDine
17th December 2010, 13:33
It's not a question to stop eating...that is just a detail. The paranic conscience doesn't lead to stop eating, just a to different stage of conscience. it comes to a point you are aware of your breath. In and out . Cold and warm. With the exercise of the breath we have the possibility of going with in. I way to become of aware of the funcions of your body and of the body energy . Also of the energy that is all around us, Space included.

MariaDine
17th December 2010, 13:41
Yoga Traditions talk about fasting ..but there are also references to fasting in the Old Testament...

The very first commandment of God was, in a sense, to fast; “You may freely eat of every tree of the garden; but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall die” (Gn 2:16). Pope Benedict quotes from Saint Basil as saying; “fasting was ordained in Paradise”. (Thus we see a certain connection between fasting/indulgence and redemption/original sin. In other words, just as Adam sinned by breaking a fast, so too do we, in a sense, make reparation for his sin by fasting before Holy Communion). Fasting was also regularly practiced by the prophets of the Old Testament as a means to gain favor with God and atone for sin. Upon a close examination of Scripture, we find many key moments in the history of Israel began with a simple formula of prayer and fasting -

Esther 4:16 "Go, assemble all the Jews…and fast for me; do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maidens also will fast in the same way. And thus I will go in to the king." At this moment in history, Jerusalem was on the brink of total annihilation. Yet Esther the queen was able to successfully win the king’s favor and save Jerusalem from extinction. And all this was initiated by three days of fasting.

Nehemiah 1:4 “When I heard these words, I sat down and wept and mourned for days; and I was fasting and praying before the God of heaven” Nehemiah laments over the destruction of Jerusalem, and by his fasting and supplication, he obtains favor with God to rebuild the walls of the eternal city. This is a major turning point in the history of Jerusalem.

Exodus 34:28 "So he was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights; he did not eat bread or drink water, and he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandments." One of the greatest moments in the history of Israel is preceded by a forty day fast.

Joel 2:12 “Yet even now, declares the LORD, return to Me with all your heart, and with fasting, weeping and mourning…Consecrate a fast, proclaim a solemn assembly, gather the people, sanctify the congregation…” Again we see this pattern of fasting being associated with a new beginning; a renewal of Israel.

MariaDine
17th December 2010, 13:48
I think is was very frequent and recomended pratice, but not a continous one in those days, except for people that really identified with it in a very within and profond way. As some of the info was lost, nothing is mencioned about the importance of Breath and meditation, in the way that info was preserved in the Asian culture .

MariaDine
17th December 2010, 14:18
http://projectcamelotproductions.com/interviews/dr_jayanath/dr_jayanath.html

From Camelot Forum ...Healing with Water

Merkaba360
17th December 2010, 19:21
I want to believe.

But, when i read about this awhile back, they never mentioned testing his intestines. How easy is that to find out if he has had food in his digestive tract.

Makes me think its fishy. But, a lot of people would have to be in on the scam too.

God, I will obtain the ultimate lie detector abilities if its the end of me. lol It just blows me away sometimes how full of sheet everyone is. Makes me wanna puke on their faces :)~

Tea
29th December 2010, 01:42
Here is some additional information with a few observations from 35 scientists.

"A hermit in India's Ahmedabad City claims to have survived without food and water for the last 70 years."

Video included:

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/34336/

"After 15 days of investigation, India’s Defense Institute of Physiology and Allied Sciences concluded its study of 82-year-old yogi Prahlad Jani on Thursday, May 6."

They had three cameras on him at all times and "could not find any evidence
that Jani ate or drank anything during the 15 days."

"When a person fasts, there are usually changes in metabolism, but that was not observed in Jani."

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/35126/

Lost Soul
29th December 2010, 13:36
One of the first things 'they' think of is, how this could be used in war. What an incredible contradiction in understanding spirituality. If anything, it could be used for the opposite--to show that there is far more to humanity than killing to accumulate material riches. There should be no problem in finding out if it is a hoax. Hospital workers would soon find out if he can go on without food or water by not forcing him to eat or giving him nutrition by artificial means and thereby killing the chance of his showing he is telling the truth. But then he might die and they would be responsible. I wonder why he went to the hospital.

How true your statement is about militarizing information. This is exactly why mankind as a whole is not given the god-like powers that Jesus had. Unfit, if one of us flew into a rage, half the planet would be destroyed (if not the entire place).

Peace of Mind
29th December 2010, 18:32
Thanks, John (I know exactly what you mean)
bashee, Lisa, Tea, I appreciate the links, thanks.

The silence of this is deafen to my ears. It speaks volumes.

We had just had a hugh blizzard that almost frozen the entire city. I had never shoveled so much snow in my life...and I did it with nothing to eat, only a cup of tea before hand. I even help a few other people with their yards and cars stuck in the snow. Later that evening I went back out to shovel more because the snow was still falling. People were tired and hungry but not me. I guess it was because I conditioned myself to be this way. Before I went to sleep for the same 4 hours a night, I ate a bowl of oatmeal. The world is filled with corruption, and many of our leaders are the ones with the dirty hands. This man is a refreshing reminder to something I might be experienceing too. I need to learn more about this fasinating individual...one of the most intriguing threads here. Probably because I can relate...

Peace