PDA

View Full Version : Religious Intolerance

justpeter
30th April 2010, 09:23
What is the diiference between "having a different opinion" and "religious intolerance"?

If a particular religion says that pink fairies exist then is it okay for someone to disagree with this? I would say yes, because everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But what if, instead of saying they disagreed with this, a person launched a sustained, relentless, sneering, jeering, attack on anything they could find about that religion? What if this attack was actually off-topic in the first place and continued well past anyone asking for it to stop? Is that religious intolerance? In my opinion, it is.

Should a person be hung, drawn and quartered for this? In my opinion, no. If this happened in a forum for people seeking enlightenment, would you expect the mods to at least have a word with the person concerned? In my opinion, yes. Then why not in this case............

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?1459-Dianetics

Comments welcomed.

justpeter
30th April 2010, 10:49
Okay, after speaking to various people about this I'll answer my own question. Today's mantra is "just move on". Apparently religious intolerance is not seen as important in a forum like this because religion itself is perhaps not seen as important as spirituality etc. Therefore if you see someone trashing a religion - just move on. If someone asks for help and someone else tries to stop you helping them - just move on.

Right, I get it now, so........nothing to see here - just move on.

bluestflame
30th April 2010, 10:56
intolerance is when you don't let them believe it either

=[Post Update]=

the right to choose what to believe

Teakai
1st May 2010, 06:58
ooh, well said bluest flame.

Justpeter, I guess the person who is making the sneering jeering ridiculing comments, is really just making themselves look a bit foolish. Whether their comments be aimed at the idea or at the holder of the idea, there's no need to let it hit its mark.
That's my take anyway.
:-)

Samarkis
1st May 2010, 13:00
Ok Folks! I am closing this thread as it is really just baiting people against eachother.....again in the name of religion......

JustPeter.....we mods have been patient with you and now you will be recieving a warning......Avalon is about enlightenment of the mind & soul....of choices that are not dangerous to body & mind and to bring about positive forward motion......If anyone posting at Avalon has other intentions.....they will be shown the door.......We always allow people to show their true hand before taking action. I STONGLY suggest you read the mission statement and the guidelines again before remarking about intolerance.......We mods & Avalon community have been most tolerant of you.......

In Light!