PDA

View Full Version : What is religious tolerance and what is not

stardustaquarion
30th April 2010, 11:54
Having being victim of harrasment I thought it will be useful to know the difference between religious tolerance and intolerance

The days of the inquisition are over and for know we are free to speak, for how long, well it is not know

Here is what I found

Overview:

First, consider the opposite to religious tolerance:

The English language has many words to describe various forms of bigotry, including racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. But it has no single word to refer to forms of bigotry based on a person's religion or faith group.

We feel that the English language needs a new word. We suggest:

"Religism", meaning "the expression of fear towards, hatred towards, or discrimination against, persons of a specific religion affiliation, usually a minority faith."

The word is gradually catching on. Until English speaking people reach a consensus on a new term we can always use "religious intolerance."

More information on "Religism."

In this website:
The meaning of the term "religious tolerance" does not involve:

.Believing that all religions are the same. In fact, religions differ greatly in their beliefs and practices. So do divisions (denominations, traditions, etc) within a given religion.

.Believing that all sets of religious beliefs are equally true. Again, religious differ greatly. Many people consider their own beliefs to be true and others to be at least partly false.

.Believing that all faiths are equally beneficial and equally harmless to society. In our opinion, some religions are less beneficial to society society because they teach racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, religism, etc.

.Believing that all religious groups are equally beneficial and equally harmless to their followers. Some religions expect their members to follow practices that are hazardous to their mental and physical health, and may shorten their lives -- avoid medical assistance, spouse beating, child beating, etc.

.Refraining from criticizing religious practices of others. Some religions teach their followers to actively discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, etc. Such practices, in our opinion, should be open to analysis and criticism.

.Refraining from talking about your beliefs to others. One should feel free to discuss beliefs of all types. Of course, if the other person indicates that they don't want to talk about religion, then continued proselytizing would degenerate into harassment.

.Ignoring your own religious ideas. It is not necessary, nor is it desirable, for an individual to suppress their own religious beliefs, in order to accept the right of another person to follow a different religion. It is not necessary to accept others' beliefs as valid. A tolerant person merely extends to all people a fundamental human right: freedom of religious belief.

In this website:
The meaning of the term "religious tolerance" does involve:
.Accepting that followers of various religions consider their own beliefs to be true. Most people believe that their religious beliefs are true, perhaps even true on an absolute basis.

.Allowing others to hold religious beliefs that are different from yours. No society is truly free unless there is freedom of religious association, speech and belief for everyone.

.Allowing others to freely change their religion, or denomination or beliefs. Freedom of religion includes the right to change one's faith.

.Allowing others to practice their religious faith, within reasonable limits. Religion is more than belief; it involves practices as well.

.Refusing to discriminate in employment, accommodation etc. on religious grounds. People who follow minority religions have the right to be treated fairly in the workplace and society generally.

from http://www.religioustolerance.org/rel_tol3.htm

Food for thought

starsmoonmtns
1st May 2010, 15:28
The Ancient One

by Bearwalker

Ancient One sat in the shade of his tree in front of his cave. Red People came to him and he said to Red People, "Tell me your vision."

And Red People answered, "The elders have told us to pray in this manner, and that manner, and it is important that only we pray as we have been taught for this has been handed down to us by the elders."

"Hmmmm," said the Ancient One.

Then Black People came to him and he said to Black People, "Tell me your vision."

And Black People answered, "Our mothers have said to go to this building and that building and pray in this manner and that manner. And our fathers have said to bow in this manner and that manner when we pray. And it is important that we do only this when we pray."

Then Yellow People came to him and he said to Yellow People, "Tell me your vision."

And Yellow People answered, "Our teachers have told us to sit in this manner and that manner and to say this thing and that thing when we pray. And it is important that we do only this when we pray."

Then White People came to him and he said to White People, "Tell me your vision."

And White People answered, "Our Book has told us to pray in this way and that way and to do this thing and that thing, and it is very important that we do this when we pray."

Then Ancient One spoke to the Earth and said, "Have you given the people a vision?" And the Earth said, "Yes, a special gift for each one, but the people were so busy speaking and arguing about which way is right they could not see the gift I gave each one of them." And the Ancient One asked same question of Water and Fire and Air and got the same answer. Then Ancient One asked Animal, and Bird, and Insect, and Tree, and Flower, and Sky, and Moon, and Sun, and Stars, and all of the other Spirits and each told him the same.

Ancient One thought this was very sad. He called Red People, Black People, Yellow People, and White People to him and said to them. "The ways taught to you by your Elders, and your Mothers and Fathers, and Teachers, and Books are sacred. It is good that you respect those ways, for they are the ways of your ancestors. But the ancestors no longer walk on the Face of the Earth Mother. You have forgotten your own Vision. Your Vision is right for you but no one else. Now each of you must pray for your own Visions, and be still enough to see them, so you can follow the way of the heart. It is a hard way. It is a good way.

Peace
Hvm Chi
All you need is inside you...

stardustaquarion
1st May 2010, 15:48

So true :wave:

Teakai
3rd May 2010, 05:50

I absolutely agree, Stars.
And anyone who says otherwise is, IMO, telling you lies. And unfortunatley that's just what some religions do.

BTW: I thought the story was lovely.

Lucrum
3rd May 2010, 07:19
In my opinion...it's boiled down to:

Religious tolerance is to aknowledge the religion and beliefs of an individual.

Religious intolerance is to force religion and beliefs onto other individuals.