PDA

View Full Version : Got IPhone? Warning!!!

Arrowwind
22nd April 2011, 14:20
This article from CNN warns us of the iphones capacity to track your every move.. opting out is difficult. You are being tracked right now!

Why did iphone do this? Who paid them to do it? how do you get rid of it?
the webpage will show you on video how iphone actually maps your every move.[/COLOR]

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/04/21/iphone.tracker.explainer/index.html?hpt=Sbin

(CNN) -- News that iPhones and iPad 3Gs apparently collect continuous information about the whereabouts of their users and store that data in a secret file has lots of Apple fans worried about their privacy.
Two researchers on Wednesday unveiled the details of this secret file, called "consolidated.db," which stores location info going back to June 2010. That's when Apple updated its mobile operating system, called iOS, to version 4.0.
Apple hasn't commented on these allegations, and it appears the company does not have continuous access to this location data, according to the researchers, one of whom says he is a former Apple employee.
All of this may be confusing for iPhone owners, especially since this news terrifies some and seems like a lot of fun to others. To help clear things up, here's a quick round-up of what you need to know about iPhone tracking and your security:
How does the iPhone collect this location data?
It uses cell phone towers to triangulate an approximate location. This isn't as accurate as GPS, which uses satellites to pinpoint a phone's whereabouts.
How often is a location recorded?
At seemingly random intervals, but fairly often, according to Pete Warden and Alasdair Allan, the researchers and journalists who publicized this secret location file.

iPhone tracking your movements? Where is this data stored?
On the mobile device and on the computer the device is synced to.
Who has access to it?
In theory, only you. Apple does not appear to have access to this data, at least not on a real-time basis, according to the researchers. So it appears the company doesn't know where you are right now.

Mobile phone companies also collect this type of data, but, as the researchers point out, that data "normally requires a court order to gain access to it, whereas this is available to anyone who can get their hands on your phone or computer."
The location file is unencrypted, so anyone with access to your phone or computer could, in theory, get access to it and know where you've been. The researchers, in their report, say Apple has "made it possible for anyone from a jealous spouse to a private investigator to get a detailed picture of your movements."
Could someone steal this data?
It's possible someone could look at this file and know where you've been since June. But they would have to gain access to your phone or your computer, where the consolidated.db file is stored.
The researchers see little risk in this, but they note that there are more questions than answers when it comes to who can see this stuff and why it's collected and stored on phones and computers in the first place.
They write: "Don't panic. ... There's no immediate harm that would seem to come from the availability of this data. Nor is there evidence to suggest this data is leaving your custody. But why this data is stored and how Apple intends to use it -- or not -- are important questions that need to be explored."
What if I want to see a map of all the places I've been?
Some people are having fun looking at maps of where they've been over the course of 10 months. The researchers who publicized this file also created an open-source program called iPhone Tracker, which is free for download and can be used to create a map of everywhere you've been since the tracking started.
Which gadgets collect this location info?
Only iPhones and iPads that have 3G connections and have been updated to operating system 4.0 or later. To see which version of iOS is running on your phone, click on the "Settings" app, then choose "General" and then "About." Halfway down the page you'll see a number next to the word "Version." That's the iOS version that's currently running on your phone or iPad.
It's unclear if this type of file is stored on iPhones on Verizon's network or on Android smartphones. The researchers say they're looking into it.
Can I stop this information from being collected?
It's not easy. You can delete this data from your computer, making it less likely a hacker or trolling family member would access it.
To find the file, follow this pathway on your machine: /Users/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backups/
But, the researchers warn, this file will be updated again every time you sync your phone to a computer. So deleting the data is an arduous task.
People who jailbreak their phones -- read more about jailbreaking here if you're not familiar -- can download a new app called Untrackerd, which claims to delete the consolidated.db file as it's created. That app is available from the Cydia app store, which is not sanctioned by Apple.
What else can I do if I'm worried about this?
The researchers suggest encrypting your data through iTunes. This makes it more difficult for anyone with access to your computer to steal this data.
To do this, open iTunes, plug in your iPhone or iPad and click on the device name when it shows up in the "Devices" category on the left side of the screen.
On the device's home screen, scroll down to the "Options" menu and click the box that says "Encrypt iPhone Backup."
A note from Apple on this: "Encrypted backups are indicated by a padlock icon (as visible below in the Deleting a Backup section), and a password is required to restore the information to iPhone."
Is everyone upset about the tracking file?
No. Plenty of people, especially in the tech elite, think it's fun to use the iPhone Tracker program to see a map of where they've been recently.
They point out that cell phone companies already collect this data. This just makes it accessible to users, if they want to see it.
Who discovered this file and how did they do it?
Allan and Warden, two researchers and writers, say they came across it while working on a data visualization about the Japan earthquake.
From their site: "We'd been discussing doing a visualization of mobile data, and while he was researching into what was available, Alasdair discovered this file. At first we weren't sure how much data was there, but after we dug further and visualized the extracted data, it became clear that there was a scary amount of detail on our movements. It also became obvious that at least some other people knew about it, but it wasn't being publicized."
They also posted a video about the experience.
They're not the first to come across this, but they were the first to grab the public's attention with this information. Some bloggers have pointed out that other versions of Apple's iOS stored similar files, but they were harder to find.
Why would Apple collect and store this info on phones and computers?
It's unclear. The company hasn't commented. But some bloggers and the researchers themselves speculate they could be looking toward future applications for phones. From the researchers:
"One guess might be that they have new features in mind that require a history of your location, but that's pure speculation. The fact that it's transferred across devices when you restore or migrate is evidence the data-gathering isn't accidental," they write.
Did they share this information with Apple?
The researchers say they did, but they haven't heard back. Apple has not responded to CNN's requests for comment, either.
U.S. Sen. Al Franken also has written a letter to Apple expressing concern and asking for answers to a few key questons about this file, such as why it's stored in an unencrypted format.

HURRITT ENYETO
22nd April 2011, 14:28
Thanks Arrowwind,
I used to have an Iphone, they are useful but i don't like being tracked constantly or having my photo's tracked to where they were taken.
I don't think i will get another. On another note did you know that people can access your phone anytime and listen to what is going on via the built in microphone? this is one method the alphabet agency's use. And your webcam can be remotely accessed to see what you are doing without you being aware of it?
Privacy is a thing of the past.

Nyce555
22nd April 2011, 16:10
I heard this on the radio yeasterday. This is another article:

http://in.news.yahoo.com/us-senator-questions-apple-using-phone-tracking-software-053100102.html

This is the reason I never bought an i phone. The advertisement for the i phone and i pad has been sooo over done! And it just made me think Apple really wants us to buy this phone for some reason and it is propably going to track our every last move. So I got a palm instead. They discontinued the phone I have so I wonder if it is because they didn't have the tracking device like the iphone and new android phones.

phillipbbg
22nd April 2011, 16:48
Every DIGITAL technology works in reverse if you know what I mean.... Analogue had to have separate components to enable these functions..
Even your digital TV viewing is being tracked.... more easily in the UK as we pay for TV licensing as well...

Just remember digital works both ways... so while you are talking on skype etc others can watch to.. sounds scary but its the world we live in. If you are aware you can minimise your exposure.
By the way the only way to stop a phone tracking is to take the battery out of it.... not just turn it off (it has an emergency function)

TheTwo
22nd April 2011, 17:08
OK, so Apple knows where I've been...so? :)

- your bank knows where you work, how much rent you pay, how much tuna you eat and what you pay for it
- your internet provider knows how much time you spend on the internet, what movies you download, which you-tube videos you watch, what comments you leave on forums, which newspapers you read
- your cell phone provider, in addition to original post, knows who you talk to, what your write in your sms messages...
- Bill Ryan and PA mods know where you post from, who your internet provider is, what you post and how often you visit this site
- ET's have a library that has all your lives and thoughts recorded, and i won't be surprised if they also know all your "future" moves
- your dog knows if you have been visiting other dogs :)

i think, this becomes a problem when you want to hide something.
Why hide anything in this world?

Peace to everyone,
living in fear is a choice :)

Revere
22nd April 2011, 18:02
It's not about hiding or fear to me. But, it is about freedom and privacy. It will be only a matter of time before those who fear the masses will use this to levy more control over those they choose if not already.

If they can get into my iphone anytime, who is to say that my iphone does not take a trip I never took, let's say to a bank robbery or something. This can become another tool to enslave and control if TPTB decides it is so. Even if laws are written around privacy, the PTB do not care to follow them. Why does technology always become a two edged sword in this reality? Please enough already! Stop, leave us alone. I have about had enough! When will we (the masses) say no more?:tsk:

Peace,
-R-

JoshERTW
22nd April 2011, 18:30
Cell Phones are the "smoking" of this generation - 30 years from now (assuming nothing else goes down) we will see a phenomenal increase in brain cancer rates. One of many reasons I don't have a cell phone of any kind and never will.

Lost Soul
22nd April 2011, 19:20
What's new about this? It's not just IPhone. The U.S. government has been tracking its "enemies" via their telephones for years.

Wings
22nd April 2011, 19:31
Cell Phones are the "smoking" of this generation - 30 years from now (assuming nothing else goes down) we will see a phenomenal increase in brain cancer rates. One of many reasons I don't have a cell phone of any kind and never will.

We are already seeing these problems in increased numbers Josh. You are doing the right thing.
I have one for emergencies (only prompted by a serious illness when I couldnt' get a hold of anyone) .... most of the time mine sits at home (my total phone bill for the year is just $60). It sometimes gets loaned out to other members of the family when they go away. I have no attachment to it and that's the way I like it.

I think the tracking device on phones might help in criminal cases, but what about the civil liberties of those who are not criminals.

TheSwede
22nd April 2011, 19:39
I have a friend that works for the police. The best thing they know is criminals using iPhones since they can backtrack their every move and where phone calls were made from the phone alone. Each call or message is stored with triangulation for location and a timestamp in the phone he said, so easy to backtrack the suspects moves and nail them. Just get the suspects phone and its pretty much case closed for the investigators, IF its an Apple phone that is according to him =)

Funny thing is the guys at the police use iPhones as private phones but they all jailbreak them and mod them and most likely remove this function them self as they are mobile engineers working for the police.

TigaHawk
22nd April 2011, 20:55
Sorry to break it to you guys - this is no unique feature of an Iphone.

I once worked for a company that provided technical support to Vodafone Aus and NZ. One night a service i had never seen before went down and we organised people to fix it. When it was suposidly fixed we were asked by the Techs to give it a test.

It was exactly what the Iphone thing was - just looked a tad older - not as flashy to the eyes - btu all the information was there. I had a bit of fun with it and started punching in the numbers from my phone book. Knowing where people were to within a small radius, triangluated further if there were more cellphone towers in the area they were in.

Wait till us Aussies get our carbon tax! We'll get a govt issued credit card - then the GOVERNMENT, not the banks or the marketing companies - will be able to create an even more in depth profile on us because they will be forcing everyone to buy everything with a plastic card - and since they hold the card........

Alecs
22nd April 2011, 22:04
- ET's have a library that has all your lives and thoughts recorded,

Hi TheTwo,

What is you source on this? Thanks.

Wiremu2011
22nd April 2011, 22:43

Hi TheTwo,

urmm..Perhaps Omniverse's AI. Well who knows. In all probability, it's highly likely ET's have this technology to know almost everything about you and I if not absolutely everything.

Regarding Iphones "tracking" the end user, even blind Freddy should know that everyone is being "tracked" through a variety of sources attached to your personal profile. eg: Bank accounts/transactions, TFN, Utility Bills, Employment status, Satellite devices in cars etc, etc, etc. :(

Arpheus
22nd April 2011, 22:52
It's not about hiding or fear to me. But, it is about freedom and privacy. It will be only a matter of time before those who fear the masses will use this to levy more control over those they choose if not already.

If they can get into my iphone anytime, who is to say that my iphone does not take a trip I never took, let's say to a bank robbery or something. This can become another tool to enslave and control if TPTB decides it is so. Even if laws are written around privacy, the PTB do not care to follow them. Why does technology always become a two edged sword in this reality? Please enough already! Stop, leave us alone. I have about had enough! When will we (the masses) say no more?:tsk:

Peace,
-R-

LoL you can't be serious freedom?What freedom?I don't know where you come from mate but lets get one thing straight regardless of what you believe to be case let me tell you one thing that is 100 per cent certain,there is no freedom there hasn't been any freedom for at least the last 10 thousand years it could be even longer then that,so please dont talk about freedom because its kind of pointless really,the birds flying in the sky are free we are not!

Meadowlark
23rd April 2011, 00:18
It's very hard to protect your privacy from all the different corporations trying to gain information on you, but it's the principle of the matter that I try to protect it as much as possible. That's why I haven't gotten an IPhone, and I try to avoid using google as much as I can.

I don't think most people realize just how extensive the information google has compiled about all of us just based on our use of their search engine. I usually use www.startpage.com. (http://www.startpage.com/)It works pretty well for most searches, and then if I can't find something there, I'll use google.

TheTwo
23rd April 2011, 01:53

Hi TheTwo,

PROJECT CAMELOT : BOB DEAN - A CONVERSATION 2011 (http://youtu.be/8s7c15K4kLo)

fast forward to 46th minute for ET part :)