PDA

View Full Version : Sound, the first human musical instrument, and a bit on Evolution

Omni
27th April 2011, 11:04
Hey all. I was curious about the premise of the first music made by humans of our type. A good portion of me thinks the human voice was the first musical instrument we ever used. Although it's possible some sort of percussion was the first music done, possibly some sort of wind device like a flute that was stumbled upon. I just had while writing a telepathic package sent to me depicting humans chanting, and one person being inclined to do percussion to it(as a theory, not presented as fact to me).

I just searched the subject of the first human musical instrument and got this bit:

There is a legend about this, but it is pure fancy. According to a Greek myth, Pan invented the first musical instrument—the shepherd’s pipe. One day he sighed through the reeds on a river bank and heard his breath produce a mournful wail as it passed through them. He broke them off in unequal lengths, bound them together, and had the first musical instrument! The fact is we can never trace the first musical instrument because all primitive people all Over the world seem to have made music of some sort. It was usually music that had some religious significance and it was shared in by the spectators who would dance, drum, or clap hands and sing with the music. It was done more than for pleasure alone. This primitive music bad a meaning as part of the lives of the people.

from http://www.badhonhara.com/Article_Body.php?Article_ID=214&Sub_Sub_Category_ID=117

I think rhythm is embedded into our core(s). Sound speaks to us on so many levels. Going around watching primitive alien races and documenting how they first figure out sound would be interesting to me. ETs may have influenced us to do music possibly before we would have found it naturally to effect us genetically. Get the ball rolling in that way.

I have been told by my contacts there are certain things that inspire genetic change in races as they evolve, as per an intelligent design of progression. The premise is all races are subjected to certain things once they reach certain levels of sophistication. Variables produced by the progression of technology and other things in a culture ultimately act as a guide for evolution to trigger new changes I am told. Once the pertaining variables are reached evolution is effected by that jump in lifestyle. I can fully see it's logic in being included within the grand design of things in the universe. I think sound will be one thing on that list to change us. In other words once subjected to the right sound sequences, and listening to music more often, this may effect our evolution as it's not random mutations leading to it IMHO. I am very interested in the science of hz. So if you know about that please feel free to share in this thread.

I have experienced sound in amazing eye opening ways by beings claiming to be extraterrestrial. I have learned all sounds have mental variables that can be applied to them. It's like sound and consciousness were designed side by side. Whether they were designed at all or not is not something I know. But I do know they work very well together, sound and consciousness. I attempted to explain my experiences in mental alteration technology for the enhancing of music here (http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?14854-A-glimpse-How-extraterrestrials-experience-music.-And-my-music-for-free-download). I really wish everyone could experience the end game aspects of sound. Not that I have, at least "end game". I have experienced the next level, and a level beyond that. So basically 2 tiers above what is natural to experience when listening to music for us.

If you don't get what I'm saying about evolution let me know. It's a complex concept to explain. I will be writing an article about it more in depth in the future for my website(s). I hope this topic doesn't sink fast with little replies.. I think it's a good topic. Your thoughts?

KosmicKat
27th April 2011, 12:31
I think rhythm is embedded into our core(s). Sound speaks to us on so many levels.

circs. intervene, I don't have much time to comment on this, but agree wholeheartedly with this statement. Think heartbeat, not just the vertebrates. Consider the movements of the stars and planets - all rhythmic. If you have time, google the song "Rhythm of Life".

27th April 2011, 12:44
voice, clapsticks & didgeridoo

Poly Hedra
30th April 2011, 12:05
I love music a lot. Especially electronic music.
I'm interested in how, with all the endless possibilities of sounds that can be created electronically, how we can affect our own brains.
I dont know much about it really though.. but I do have an opinion lol
I think that the first human instrument was the drum and the voice in unison.
Rhythm is so ingraned in us to our core.

I remember watching an interview on the conscious media network a couple of years ago (unfortunately I cant remember who it was) who said that we all have our own sound that is the most soothing to that individual and that sometimes we may notice it when we hum to ourselves, and that humming is a very good thing to do. I suppose a lot of people hum when they are happy, but I dont mean a pop tune, more like a tune we make up ourselves. I do this a lot.
It went on to say that they worked with people to find their own particular sound, kind of like a therapy.
and that it could help them to heal themselves from turmoil, both physical and mental.
I found this fascinating. What do you think?
(Does anyone know who the person I'm writing about is?)

I find that electronic music is very beneficial to my well being.
Autechre use a lot of very interesting sounds, they use a lot of patterns. They are a good exapmle of well considered use of sounds. When you first hear them it might sound a bit crazy but the layers are complex and masterful. It sounds like electronic classical music to me. Their music can be full of beats or beautifully etheral.
I wonder what your contacts think about Autechre :)
Here is a link to two of their tunes I especially like, hope you enjoy. ps listen with good speakers please :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urHFGXeWg78&feature=channel_video_title

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSGj_Q6VLMk

Omni
3rd May 2011, 16:02
I think rhythm is embedded into our core(s). Sound speaks to us on so many levels.

circs. intervene, I don't have much time to comment on this, but agree wholeheartedly with this statement. Think heartbeat, not just the vertebrates. Consider the movements of the stars and planets - all rhythmic. If you have time, google the song "Rhythm of Life".

Great post :) Thanks. When I first started making music I would take the BPM of my heart, and make that the BPM of the song I was making(I had to choose it before I got into the making of the music - Garageband). It fit perfectly with the BPM I like. Around 95.

Peace of Mind
3rd May 2011, 16:25
I know a few dudes who can make complete songs just by using their mouths alone. Beat boxing, is an urban term used to describe it. Also… whistling, humming, chanting, hand clapping, finger popping, feet tapping are other bodily musical instruments within the band. Most of today’s music is done off the rhythm of the heart…which is why so many find themselves drawn into it…even if they don’t like the contents of the lyrics. Music is a very powerful tool that has always been used against us…for obvious reason. Just imagine if the verbal (vocabulary) displays matched the brilliance of the instrumentals. Think of the effect that would have on us? Beautiful…

Peace

TimelessDimensions
3rd May 2011, 17:16
First Sound? Grunting?

Ommmmm.......

White Phoenix
3rd May 2011, 18:02
Hello Omniverse,

Sound is indeed a very interesting phenomenon. You are probably already aware of Cymatics and the work of Dr. Hans Jenny, but if not you should really check it out! :)
Also, the work of Masaru Emoto, and his books "Messages from Water".
These both present the scientific possibilty that matter is inherently influenced by sound and feeling (thought + emotion). From this it would be logical to introduce the possibility that evolutionary steps could manifest through the application of sound.

White Phoenix
4th May 2011, 19:29
Oh yes, and Binaural Beats! Quite a fascinating topic. I've had some experience with these in the past, with good yet unquantifiable results. There are some dangers with using binaural beats however, so please be careful and invest some time in research before attempting to use them. I'd avoid using the ones on Youtube too! :)

Also, I've been interested in the origin of words over the years. There are a lot of hidden things that most people wouldn't think to look at in our everyday language. One word that seems relevant to this thread is "person" (also "personality" and "persona"). This comes from the Latin words "per" and "sonare", which translates as "through sound".

Another interesting word is "universe", from the Latin "unus" meaning "one", and "versus" meaning "to turn". There is another interpretation of this word however, which I feel resonates at a higher level. The prefix remains the same, but the word "verse" can be taken in the musical sense, giving us the harmonious notion of "one song".

Steve C
5th May 2011, 09:40
Hey Omni,

I like to think a birds song would of inspired early man to use his own voice to make music.

Native americans use there voices really well to make music,i love to hear them sing and chant.

A barbers shop quartet has a super sound,have you heard of...erm...i think they were called ladysmith black lambada,they were an african group,they sounded brilliant!

Peace

Steve C
5th May 2011, 09:46
Hey Omni,

I like to think a birds song would of inspired early man to use his own voice to make music.

Native americans use there voices really well to make music,i love to hear them sing and chant.

A barbers shop quartet has a super sound,have you heard of...erm...i think they were called ladysmith black lambada,they were an african group,they sounded brilliant!

Peace

I got there name wrong....lol.

here's the link,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiB6vT5HT3U

Peace