PDA

View Full Version : 21. The lamp that dispels darkness.

Tony
6th May 2011, 06:55
The Lamp that Dispels the Darkness (based on Jamgon Mipham Gyatso's text)

What you are about to read is the basis for enlightenment.
It is not the only path.
It is not meant to convert anyone.
It is just offering a possibility.
Even in Buddhism, there are many paths,
and they still debate the finer details.

If you know something better and it satisfies, stay with it.
If you do not have a view, question this one.
If you have the same view, this may enhance it.

It is impossible to criticise or question anything unless one knows some facts. There is little point is searching if you do not know what you are looking for.
Only then can an intelligent, unbiased dialogue take place.

I believe it is now time for certain information to be put in the public arena.
If it is not to your taste, I will move on. The world is changing fast, and time to rest and reflect may be overtaken by physical necessities. Also, the brain might get clogged up with bad (healthy!) foods and petrochemical medicines, and the mind may be full of confused ideas and emotions about what is real and meaningful.

An intellectual understanding is needed before one can practise with confidence.
May this information become knowledge, and may knowledge become wisdom.
There is a great difference between these three aspects! Being told something doesn't necessarily mean you have woken up.

Remember: the way that these words are used here may be unfamiliar, as they are translated from the Ancient Tibetan Buddhist culture. Of course, the Tibetan words are not necessary, and we can use just English words. It is not easy to find equivalent words in translating. Some English words, such as wisdom, compassion and knowledge, have perhaps become “uncool” and their meaning has been diluted. The wisdom of this text comes from an unbroken linage. It is older than Tibet: Tibet was the library...was!

I have used slightly different approaches in previous posts, trying to gauge the response and hoping that a phrase or turn of words might strike a chord, or spark a light.
So far...well let's say, I'm learning!

There are two aspects to investigation:
1. Learning and reflecting
2. Putting it into practice – leading to realisation.

This is the teaching from Dzogpa Chenpo – Ground, Path and Fruition.

Ground = Our true nature.
Path = Obscuration of that nature.
Fruition = Realising that the nature of the Path is the same as the Ground.

Dzogpa Chenpo = Absolute reality (empty cognisance), with nothing beyond.
Gradually we will come to realise the natural empty nature of self and all phenomena. This means that all phenomena are produced as the result of causes and conditions: they have no inherent nature. If they truly existed, they would always exist, forever, which they do not: they are just a seeming reality (relative truth).

It is the same with the collection of ideas that we assume to be us, ourself. Our essence is pure perception = absolute reality. It is a non-finding, which means that you have stepped back and back until there is nothing left but pure perception.

The Ground

The ground is our basic essence.
The nature of the ground is beyond concepts, lucid, luminous, pure emptiness, not a product, knowing, limitless, never born, never dies...

The way to come to a conviction about the ground is through study, reflection and practice. Gradually, we come to the conviction that the ground of all humans is the same.

Our three sublime qualities are empty essence, natural clarity and unconfined compassion.

Ground, Dzogpa Chenpo, Buddha nature, Absolute reality...all these terms have the same meaning: Awake!

At this moment you might possibly be thinking, “I am already awake, thank you! What a load of rubbish!”
Well, you are aware, yes. Consciousness is very active, yes.
But to realise pure consciousness to its empty core takes training.
We have spent lifetimes covering it up, with lots of interesting things to do and speculated about: things out there, things we believe to be solid and important, but which, on observation, are recognised as an illusion. Reacting to these illusions only serves to strengthen the illusion, which creates delusion. We need something stronger to cut across this habitual pattern.

This conviction that we have Buddha nature doesn't mean we have actualised our basic being. We then have to practise, to go beyond this intellectual understanding. But first, we do need this conviction.

The Path

The path is where we work. The essence of the path is the same as the ground, but it is veiled in obscurations. We currently can't see this basic nature because of these obscurations. Ignorance contaminates space, and the afflictive emotions arising from this generate karma. Our present situation - constant cyclic existence - is based on the confusion of ignorance. All phenomena are like dreams: the confusion is that we take this dream as reality. If we don't examine its nature, we take it just as we perceive it.

There is no difference between the ground, and the essence of the path.

Obscuration is due to ignorance. Ignorance is the reification (making real) and fixation on things that do not truly exist. From this reification, confusion arises and so we generate karma.

There are 6 realms that arise from this confusion, this karmic pattern. Dzogchen's main target is removing these karmic patterns. These 6 realms are psychological profiles or temperaments (although it's not all bad, as they each correspond to a wisdom).

From a Buddhist point of view, the six realms are human (desire), animal (lacking humour), hungry ghost (greed), jealous gods (competitive), gods (pride) and the hell realms (hatred). This is only a very brief description.

The basis for all these afflictions is ignorance – not knowing - but there are, in fact, 84,000 types of afflictive emotions: compounds of attachment, aggression, jealousy, pride etc. Karma (an imprint on the mind, created through our actions) is produced through these afflictions, conditioning our perception and our state of existence in the 6 realms. There are 2 types of karma: one we are born with, and the other which is created through reactions in this present lifetime. We have to cut the root of both these types of karma.

Remember: knowledge is not, in itself, 'waking up'. We have to train in order to become stable. If you can be easily moved to anger (or any other emotion), then stability is not there yet..that is a useful gauge! This includes 'good' emotions..sorry! Clinging to anything as if it is real when it is not, will lead to more suffering. We just have to learn to play with the emotions. The earth is a beautiful place, but there is much more to being here!

The remedy of the path is to remove that which is undesirable, so that we can realise the ground.
One way to remove something is to apply an antidote: we need to identify that which is to be abandoned, and then identify the correct antidote and finally these two aspects must meet. In order to be effective, the antidote must be more powerful than the affliction.

Most antidotes are the opposite of what is to be abandoned, and therefore they can eliminate. Compassion eliminates anger, equality eliminates pride etc. However, this is only a temporary fix.

When there is knowing, unknowing automatically disappears.
This is called liberation upon arising.
That is what Dzochen is all about!
This is the path of the town yogi.
The method is very simple. Wisdom is emphasised, and there is very little hardship: because of the application of a very simple method, one arrives at wisdom.

When one is in a busy state, or in a vacant state, that which recognises those states is your pure essence! This essence not a state. It is your true nature, absolute reality.
Of course we only get glimpses of it. That is why we have to practise.

Absolute reality recognises the nature of relative reality, and sees it to be empty.
This is called The Two Truths, which have to be seen as a unity. Everything becomes symbolic, reminding us of our true nature. Although this is a beautiful planet and the principles of the universe are beautiful, these can ultimately be a distraction.

All you need now is a decent teacher!

This is the path of a town yogi (direct). There is also the path of compassion ( no other), the path of devotion (deep appreciation), the path of meditation ( going through levels)and the path of analysis ( reduction).

Information for spiritual engineers. Dzochgen is mainly in the Nyingma traditions, it is the same as Mahamudra which is the Kagyu tradition. Mahamudra is practised from the front of the book, one learns to meditate then finds the view. Dzogchen one is told the end of the book first, then having the view finds the meditation, meaning remaining in the continuity of the view. In Dzogchen one can walk, talk and play and still know the view. Though we are reminded short moments many times. It's good to break the meditation, to stop any clinging or drifting into vancany.

….................................................

With respect to a previous post, about that fact that we are Stargates. According to teaching, there is the practice of ejection of consciousness. Students do practise this, although not the full version. The full version is only to be practised during the death process. As practitioners, we are here to exhaust all our karma. To leave the body before this process is finished for this lifetime, could interfere with the whole process, and could accrue heavier karma. The ejection of consciousness is a backup plan: realising our true nature is better!
So I am told...

The main point is to realise your true nature. Do not assume you have done this already!

There certain moments that are special. The state between death and birth is called the bardo ('bardo' means 'between', and is present at special moments).

These are very important moments. They are the bardo of death, the bardo the moment after death, the bardo of becoming, the bardo of sleep and the bardo of meditation.

The essence of all this is really simple.
Explaining it is complex...sorry it's a bit long!

Just practise, or not.

Yours
pie'n'eal

shijo
6th May 2011, 12:13
hi Pie (and Eel) in Nichirens Buddhism there are 10 realms, seventh being learning, eighth self realisation, ninth bodhisattva, 10 Buddhahood, totally agree about study and most of all practise though, indispensible, thankyou for this thread always makes me feel im close to the truth when i read about Buddhism whatever the country of origin, Regards Shijo.

Tony
6th May 2011, 12:55
Hello Shijo.
Yes, it sounds the same. Language and numbering can creates problems, but need not.
Just as a matter of interest and if you had time, could you describe the ten realms
from the Nichiren point of view?

kind regards

Pie'n'eal

shijo
6th May 2011, 15:54
Hello Shijo.
Yes, it sounds the same. Language and numbering can creates problems, but need not.
Just as a matter of interest and if you had time, could you describe the ten realms
from the Nichiren point of view?

kind regards

Pie'n'eal

hi Pie n eal, yes be glad to can you give me a day or two?Ive got 8 hours practise tomorrow that should put me in themood!

shijo
6th May 2011, 16:00
Hi Pie n Eal, yes be glad too, can you give me a day or two? ive got 8 hours practise tomorrow, so should be in the right frame of mind! regards Shijo

¤=[Post Update]=¤

By the way im getting old, always repeating myself lol.

Tony
6th May 2011, 16:31
You're getting old!!...I don't even know what lol, means! Is it part of this, neuro-linguistic programming....do you mean lot of love?
If so, right back at you. Of course if it doesn't mean this, I could be looking silly. My wife just shouted out that it could mean,
laugh out loud.

pie'n'eal

shijo
6th May 2011, 16:37
your wifes right Pie n eal, arent they always?

shijo
8th May 2011, 11:16
Hi Pie n eal, to reply to your question, in Nichirens system which stems and goes beyond Tien Tais teaching based on the Lotus Sutra, the Ten Realms or Ten Worlds are as follows, i will be brief.The lower realms are hell, hunger and animality,anger humanity(tranquility),heaven( rapture or joy), these constitute the 6 lower worlds or paths. M ost people spend their time moving back and forth between these paths, and in these states one is governed totally by his or her reactions to external influence and therefore vulnerable to changing circumstance. H owever the Buddha still resides in each of these states as well as the four noble states in which one transcends the uncertainty of the six paths. Learning,Self Realisation, bodhisattva and buddhahood constitute the four noble paths. The Ten Realms are part of a much bigger system called the Three Thousand worlds in any one moment of time, Tien Tai called this the region of the unfathomable, Nichiren called it Nam Myo Ho Renge Kyo. I could go on and on but wont. Regards Shijo.I will re read your thread as questions are bound to occur, and get back to you.

Tony
8th May 2011, 11:32
Hello Shijo,
This is truly fascinating to see the same thing (non-thing!) from a different view point.
Life is too short to investigate every angle. As you say the Buddha resides at all levels.
Sorry to say this, but it's good to talk to someone that actually does something, and doesn't just speculate, about hearsay.
Thanks for the glimpse.
pie'n'eal

Yoda
8th May 2011, 12:02
Hello Shijo,
This is truly fascinating to see the same thing (non-thing!) from a different view point.
Life is too short to investigate every angle. As you say the Buddha resides at all levels.
Sorry to say this, but it's good to talk to someone that actually does something, and doesn't just speculate, about hearsay.
Thanks for the glimpse.
pie'n'eal

I am more amused by the mutual respect and appreciation, than the words. Enjoy!
Pierre
www.energy-oneness.com

Tony
8th May 2011, 12:14
Dear Yoda,
Look on it as a fishing trip for discussion!

pie'n'eal

Tony
8th May 2011, 14:22
Hello Shijo,
Thanks for the glimpse.
pie'n'eal

I am more amused by the mutual respect and appreciation, than the words. Enjoy!
Pierre
www.energy-oneness.com

Dear Yoda,
Which words did not amuse you?

pie'n'eal

TimelessDimensions
8th May 2011, 14:27
a CANDLE in other words.

Tony
8th May 2011, 14:31
a CANDLE in other words.
Dear TimelessDimensions,
Maybe we need something brighter than a candle, that's what we using at the moment...and it's not even lit!

pie'n'eal

ulli
8th May 2011, 14:48
Dear Yoda,
Look on it as a fishing trip for discussion!

pie'n'eal

Ok, here is a fish, nibbling:

Buddhist teachings, while striking a chord with me for years now, nevertheless, there is a major concern.
Looking at the countries where it is practised gives me an idea of it's long-term effects.
Tibet: occupied
China: official religion communism
Japan: population run by corporate agendas.
The teachings of non interference, non reaction create a state of passivity that invites predators.
Am I wrong?
But maybe I am deluded to even perceive predators, since they also are nothing but non-existent phenomena...

Tony
8th May 2011, 15:33
Dear Ulli,
Oh, some great points!
Buddhism is about the our natural open essence, and how it gets clouded by over-reacting to illusory phenomena.
Things still have to be dealt with, investigated, brought back to balance.
There are four Buddha activities: pacifying, magnetising, enriching and destroying. All done out of compassion.
Non-reaction is in the mind, pure consciousness stays put, it doesn't have to get distracted.

The mighty just tie themselves in knots, maintaining their kingdom day in day out.
I know someone who was in a Chinese prison for twenty five years, he said it was the best practise he ever had.

Of course this will not be everyone's choice of fun. It all depends what one thinks life is about.
For me it's all about realising ones true nature.
You mention Japan and China, what about England? It's very oppressive... conform or else!
Meditating in a cave is easy, but one can make faster progress with the negativity surrounding one.
Your so-called enemy is your best teacher.

True it is also easy to become self deluded... that is what practise is all about.

Thanks for nibbling!!
pie'n'eal

ROMANWKT
8th May 2011, 19:10
Hi pie'n'ea,

I hope you wont treat this as jumping on the bandwagon, I had written something very much the same as your content, but suggest RELEASING METHOD as removing all block to the true reality, my regards to you I enjoyed the way you put the knowledge.
roman

http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?15834-Its-all-nonsense-part-1

Tony
8th May 2011, 20:12
Hi pie'n'ea,

I hope you wont treat this as jumping on the bandwagon, I had written something very much the same as your content, but suggest RELEASING METHOD as removing all block to the true reality, my regards to you I enjoyed the way you put the knowledge.
roman

Dear Romanwkt,
I can think of nothing better than working together, to create a good atmosphere

Yours
pie'n'eal

ulli
9th May 2011, 14:20
Dear Ulli,
Oh, some great points!
Snip....
You mention Japan and China, what about England? It's very oppressive... conform or else!
..snip

Thanks for nibbling!!
pie'n'eal

Ok, here comes my non-reactive reaction.
My awareness took in all that you wrote here, realizing it knew all those answers already...hmmm...
It tries to live by them.
My awareness also knows this ulli being has a tendency to escape when the going gets tough,
not quite into the caves, but certainly away from hot spots
(debatable if you think Barbados and Costa Rica are hot spots....they aren't really)
But there was a time when escape was not an option, when I was still living in England...
When you say England is oppressive, and all about "conform, or else" I had a bit of a reaction
since that statement contradicts my personal experience....having been a fashion designer there during the seventies.
Whatever statement one can possibly make about England- the opposite is also true...

Which is why I loved it there...feisty Aries energy....feudal overlords and uppity working class...
Even that statement can be reversed...
But then one day I changed...Now living in Costa Rica which is a Libra country...the opposite energy of England
And the people are non-confrontational...very different feeling from England...

I doubt if Buddhism will ever catch on here....
Whereas the conditions in England could be the perfect breeding ground for seekers of Buddhist principles as those principles address the need for the third condition- that of tranquility after an excess of duality and duelling...
Just musing...

ulli
9th May 2011, 14:24
Hi pie'n'ea,

roman

Dear Romanwkt,
I can think of nothing better than working together, to create a good atmosphere

Yours
pie'n'eal

ulli prefers playing...work is a four-letter word...

shijo
9th May 2011, 14:38
Hi Pie n eal. Could you elaborate on the four Buddha activities mentioned in your post to Ulli,just give me the gist so i can compare and contrast to what i do and do not know? thanks, regards again Shijo.

Tony
10th May 2011, 08:33
Dear Ulli,
Oh, some great points!
Snip....
..snip

Thanks for nibbling!!
pie'n'eal

Ok, here comes my non-reactive reaction.
My awareness took in all that you wrote here, realizing it knew all those answers already...hmmm...
It tries to live by them.
My awareness also knows this ulli being has a tendency to escape when the going gets tough,
not quite into the caves, but certainly away from hot spots
(debatable if you think Barbados and Costa Rica are hot spots....they aren't really)
But there was a time when escape was not an option, when I was still living in England...
When you say England is oppressive, and all about "conform, or else" I had a bit of a reaction
since that statement contradicts my personal experience....having been a fashion designer there during the seventies.
Whatever statement one can possibly make about England- the opposite is also true...

Which is why I loved it there...feisty Aries energy....feudal overlords and uppity working class...
Even that statement can be reversed...
But then one day I changed...Now living in Costa Rica which is a Libra country...the opposite energy of England
And the people are non-confrontational...very different feeling from England...

I doubt if Buddhism will ever catch on here....
Whereas the conditions in England could be the perfect breeding ground for seekers of Buddhist principles as those principles address the need for the third condition- that of tranquility after an excess of duality and duelling...
Just musing...

Dear Ulli,
I take note of what you say. A few months ago I saw a video of a meeting between the Dalai lama and older students.
The first question was about, why are students too ready to put their hands together and leave their brains outside the Dharma centres.

http://www.ecobuddhism.org/multimedia/dalai_lama

I feel people conform too readily, out of a subtle fear, but that is only my personal view.
It's not bad, but there is a subtle bullying going on. People can easily be manipulated,
because they want to be manipulated. We all want to belong, and that is a problem. Clinging!!!
The Dharma has to be taught differently to westerns, we are too alert, too emotional, too uptight.
The east is more sleepy, not bad just different.

I have been to a few Spiritual centres in England.
One I was in for eleven years, then got kicked out for not conforming.

There are times when one just has to move on, it's part of the process.

pie'n'eal