PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Paralysis Survey (Help Make History!!!)

last50cobra
6th May 2011, 15:16
I am helping with an independent study on sleep paralysis. Sleep paralysis is a condition where people are paralyzed at the onset of sleep or upon waking; it may accompany a vivid feeling of a presence in the room, weird sounds, or even the feeling of floating (OBE's)

We think we have a real chance of a breakthrough that will create waves in the medical community. But we need people that have experienced sleep paralysis (either in the past or who currently experience it) to take this short survey (5-7 minutes, no personal information needed)

You can take it here:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SleepSurvey.org (http://sleepsurvey.org)<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

We need to get as many people as possible for the data to really be accurate so even if you have only had it one time, your input is important. Thanks so much!

Jake
6th May 2011, 15:26
thanks for the heads up, last50cobra... I have a lot of experience with SP. Even had a sleep study done to try and figure out more. I will definately participate. thx Jake.

Omni
6th May 2011, 15:49
Filled it out. I'll post it on another forum. Good luck :)

shijo
6th May 2011, 16:49
will definately participate in this one Omniverse, had some strange occurences with SP.Thanks, regards Shijo

Nyce555
6th May 2011, 16:52
I will participate too!! I have been having it for the past 16 years!

Bridey
6th May 2011, 17:22
Me too, I'll fill it out. I have that experience weekly....

magicmanx
6th May 2011, 17:48
Done............. xxxxxxxxxx

Sir Eltor
6th May 2011, 19:44
Interesting ... this happened to me a long time ago but remember like it was yesterday... very vivid

Survey complete

Carmody
6th May 2011, 22:21
Sleep paralysis is the brains components shutting down. NOTHING unusual about that. Which is why it always amazes me when people make a big thing about it being demons or some other such thing.

In the unaware person, the frontal lobes shut down and then the rest of the body.

In the person who has moved toward an awakening or even a bit of meditation, they can have their frontal lobes be awake while the bodily function is shut down. this, while 'sleeping'.

This is generally a GOOD SIGN that you are advancing in your quest to awaken yourself. astral travel, etc... is usually not that much further down the road. So stay on it.

When this situation of the conscious state being awake when the body is shut down, this is described as 'sleep paralysis.' The cobwebs on the face, same thing. the sensory system is sleeping, but YOU are still in there and awake.

These are terrific signs you are on your way to doing these great (and fun) meditative things.

The fear component is a residual ego function thing. unfamiliar territory. The ego also intrinsically fears your freedom form it's influence, so the fear can be deep.

Carmody
6th May 2011, 22:34
I just read an articlew about this exact thing, a few days back. the brain is not fully aware at all times. when someone is tired or the entire focus is not being used, some of the components of the given brain do indeed shut completely off.

I've had different parts of my body shut off, like hands, legs, face, entire body, vision. etc.

The first one I did was when I taught myself the stilled breathing meditation technique at the age of 8. The first thing to shut off, for me, at that time..was my vision. I would literally be wide awake but not be able to see a damn thing..with my eyes wide open. I had shut down my 'visual cortex', as some are wont to say.

Flasky
6th May 2011, 23:11
Done done! I hope it helps, let us know how it goes hey!

Goodluck!!!

silverchimes
7th May 2011, 00:47
Hi Last50cobra:

I've had multiple experiences of sleep paralysis during my life, along with other sleep phenomena (i.e. OBE, flying, levitating, and the sensation of "crash landing" back into my body as I'm waking). The first time I experienced sleep paralysis as a child, it was so traumatic that I was afraid to go to sleep again. The fear lasted for sometime. Now that I'm much older, I've researched the phenomena and have found one explanation is that the paralysis is caused by a hormone secreted during the dream cycle to paralyze the dreamer in order to protect them from acting the dream out. I did complete the sleep survey and I would be interested in seeing the results of the research study when it's completed. Thanks, Silverchimes

Linden
7th May 2011, 01:18
participated

Eikoor21
7th May 2011, 01:35
I wish we could all just be in one big dream at once and fly together holding hands:o

king anthony
7th May 2011, 01:36
I am helping with an independent study on sleep paralysis.

We...

Who is "we" and for what purpose? Any information on the "who" is and so forth? The survey and contact page appears to be "generic".

last50cobra
7th May 2011, 23:47
Hi Last50cobra:

I've had multiple experiences of sleep paralysis during my life, along with other sleep phenomena (i.e. OBE, flying, levitating, and the sensation of "crash landing" back into my body as I'm waking). The first time I experienced sleep paralysis as a child, it was so traumatic that I was afraid to go to sleep again. The fear lasted for sometime. Now that I'm much older, I've researched the phenomena and have found one explanation is that the paralysis is caused by a hormone secreted during the dream cycle to paralyze the dreamer in order to protect them from acting the dream out. I did complete the sleep survey and I would be interested in seeing the results of the research study when it's completed. Thanks, Silverchimes

Yes, thank you, While it is agreed that REM atonia ( normal paralysis when sleeping) is involved it is not necessarily agreed that SP is caused by the intrusion of REM sleep atonia into wakefulness.

But what is even less known is the neurophysiology of the causes of the visual / audio / sensory phenomenon during SP. The current guess is that the paralysis triggers fear which then causes hallucinations, but this seems rather inconsistent as many cases see and hear things before the fear, and others see and hear things with little or no fear at all.

In short the cause is still unknown, that is why currently on wikipedia the causes section says:

This section requires expansion with:
examples of causal neurophysiological factors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis#Possible_causes

last50cobra
10th May 2011, 00:44
Thanks to all that participated, I am impressed with the response here. Keep up the good work Avalon forum, the more data the better.

last50cobra
14th May 2011, 03:26
If anyone would like a link to the completed study when its completed email research@sleepsurvey.org