PDA

View Full Version : What is the American way of life ?

Gaia
12th May 2011, 10:46
In 1981, upset by the creed of the right-wing Moral Majority, producer Norman Lear and other liberals launched People for the American Way. The original mission statement read:

"Our purpose is to meet the challenges of discord and fragmentation with an affirmation of 'the American Way.' By this, we mean pluralism, individuality, freedom of thought, expression and religion, a sense of community, and tolerance and compassion for others. People for the American Way will reach out to all Americans and affirm that in our society, the individual still matters; that there is reason to believe in the future -- not to despair of it -- and that we must strengthen the common cords that connect us as humans and citizens. We work to ensure access for all Americans to economic opportunity and justice."

What is the American way of life ? What is "American" ? In this case it is probably the US way of life because being "American" Can also be claimed by people from any other country from the American continents.

The "American way of life" has often been mentioned during the cold war. At that time it probably was the opposite to the "Soviet way of life" Mentioning it probably was a propaganda instrument of the cold war. But I do not think that it solely was a propaganda instrument.

Is the "American way of life" only about business and getting rich ? Or does it have a cultural component ? I always had the impression that it also was closely linked to the US culture, which was very important to the world since the beginning of the last century. American delude themselves when they insist that they are a peace-loving people who will go to any extreme to avoid violence. Just my own thoughts. Hope to have some good replies my friends !

Gaia

sirac
12th May 2011, 11:05
i'm also outside America, so i wouldn't mind the clarification on the matter from those who know

but i think that you could take anyone from any micro-cosm in the world, and they'd be living the same, except they wouldn't know where they from / or that wouldn't be a relavant factor

i think the expression "the american way of life"...refers to 1st Amendment stuff and things that spring from that 'freedom of speech, freedom of affliation/religion' - the individual in that system being in a capitalist country and therefore can pursue 'full financial dreams'

in my scheme of things, one would have East, then West, and America would fall under the British or english subdivision of west

Gaia
12th May 2011, 11:39
i'm also outside America, so i wouldn't mind the clarification on the matter from those who know

but i think that you could take anyone from any micro-cosm in the world, and they'd be living the same, except they wouldn't know where they from / or that wouldn't be a relavant factor

i think the expression "the american way of life"...refers to 1st Amendment stuff and things that spring from that 'freedom of speech, freedom of affliation/religion' - the individual in that system being in a capitalist country and therefore can pursue 'full financial dreams'

in my scheme of things, one would have East, then West, and America would fall under the British or english subdivision of west

Hi Sirac and welcome to Avalon !

Heartsong
12th May 2011, 17:03
I'm an American and have never lived or visited elsewhere.

When I hear "the American Way of Life" I don't really know what is meant. It's a rhetorical statement intended to raise a nostalgic sentiment something like "the good old days". It's only used in public rhetoric and seldom in personal conversations.

It connotes the the ability or even right to prosper through personal effort and perseverance. To some, this is a God given right sometimes thwarted by social standing, economic adversity, "the powers that be", or even Mother Nature.

Opposing political parties will throw the "American Way" into their platforms to sweeten statements to attract followers as will the American religious conservatives.

The "American Way" is as individual as the listener.

jackovesk
12th May 2011, 17:36
What I really think Gaia's question, "What is the American way of life?" relates too is not a sterotypical view?

Gaia, is asking to SHED your skin and give us YOUR OWN personal view!

Nothing More, Nothing Less!

Does any American feel they can Answer this question, not as an American but as a Human Being with individual views?

Please will someone in America answer this simple question, "What is the American way of life?" in a personal view, without the Star Spangled Banner playing in the background?

crosby
12th May 2011, 17:39
as an american, this is what i think "the american way of life" should purportedly mean: we are born into a democracy where we have choices that we can make, we have freedoms that some countries have never known. in the cultural aspect, we are born in hospitals, doted on by our families and such. we grow up and go to school, we are educated - - we move on to secondary educations and post bachelor degrees. we are able to choose our career paths, if we can reach the aptitude required. we buy our homes, and our cars, so many to choose from. we have apple pie, baseball, football, and other professional sports. we are schooled in 'you are a boy' or 'you are a girl' and you behave according to the standards set forth for each sex. we go fishing with our grandpas, and bake with our grammas. we celebrate christmas, halloween, easter, the fourth of july, thanksgiving. each family has the right to choose how and what religious beliefs it will follow, or perhaps not follow. we watch endless hours of television programs and talk about it with our work colleagues. we become entrepreneurs. some become rich. others remain poor. we have the opportunity within our communities to elect officials whom will serve our best interest. we have the opportunity to elect a man to run our country for our betterment. we have a fantastic military service, dedicated to our protection.

here is what it really is: we are born in hospitals and tagged by dna. we have a consumerism society based on only that. we have become a nation of consumers. purposely trained, from birth to be the uber shopper.we have enormous televisions sets that turn us into non-thinking lumps that can no longer communicate with our friends and family. we give away our money to purchase things we do not need, but think that we have to have. we are taxed on everything including our death. we lose our homes and vehicles to bankster mortgage and credit companies. we are trained to watch the professional sports and drink alcoholic beverages and are exposed to drugs that will keep us from looking at what we really are: AN EXPERIMENT ON THE HUMAN POPULATION. they tell us that we have so much freedom. but do we really? are we really any different than any other society? did we ever have the constitution to have any freedoms and individual rights? to the unawakened soul, the aforementioned statement is the qualified definition. to the awake and aware, we know better.
warmest, corson

Lefty Dave
12th May 2011, 18:27
If you really want to know what "the American Way" means TODAY...then get a Superman comic from the passed called Bizzaro...that's what it is in US of A....right is wrong...good is bad....
Everything is being orchestrated...as if there is NO TOMORROW !!

Fred259
12th May 2011, 18:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_caz4qMxTH4

jackovesk
12th May 2011, 18:41
as an american, this is what i think "the american way of life" should purportedly mean: we are born into a democracy where we have choices that we can make, we have freedoms that some countries have never known. in the cultural aspect, we are born in hospitals, doted on by our families and such. we grow up and go to school, we are educated - - we move on to secondary educations and post bachelor degrees. we are able to choose our career paths, if we can reach the aptitude required. we buy our homes, and our cars, so many to choose from. we have apple pie, baseball, football, and other professional sports. we are schooled in 'you are a boy' or 'you are a girl' and you behave according to the standards set forth for each sex. we go fishing with our grandpas, and bake with our grammas. we celebrate christmas, halloween, easter, the fourth of july, thanksgiving. each family has the right to choose how and what religious beliefs it will follow, or perhaps not follow. we watch endless hours of television programs and talk about it with our work colleagues. we become entrepreneurs. some become rich. others remain poor. we have the opportunity within our communities to elect officials whom will serve our best interest. we have the opportunity to elect a man to run our country for our betterment. we have a fantastic military service, dedicated to our protection.

here is what it really is: we are born in hospitals and tagged by dna. we have a consumerism society based on only that. we have become a nation of consumers. purposely trained, from birth to be the uber shopper.we have enormous televisions sets that turn us into non-thinking lumps that can no longer communicate with our friends and family. we give away our money to purchase things we do not need, but think that we have to have. we are taxed on everything including our death. we lose our homes and vehicles to bankster mortgage and credit companies. we are trained to watch the professional sports and drink alcoholic beverages and are exposed to drugs that will keep us from looking at what we really are: AN EXPERIMENT ON THE HUMAN POPULATION. they tell us that we have so much freedom. but do we really? are we really any different than any other society? did we ever have the constitution to have any freedoms and individual rights? to the unawakened soul, the aforementioned statement is the qualified definition. to the awake and aware, we know better.
warmest, corson

Thankyou Corson, I can always rely on you for your honesty.

Regards,

Jack

slipknotted
12th May 2011, 18:48
way of life ? it's more like a way of distruction !

crosby
12th May 2011, 19:29
way of life ? it's more like a way of distruction !

slipknotted, i WANT YOUR AVATAR....... that is the greatest movie ever in regards to ets. i love paul. he is refreshingly rude, but that is okay by me. fantastic. bagels and coffee........ ooh marmite!
warmest, corson

davyj0nes
12th May 2011, 19:43
i think the american way of life is being able to do what you want, when you want, however you want to do it. i could be wrong though. :noidea:

crosby
12th May 2011, 19:49
i think the american way of life is being able to do what you want, when you want, however you want to do it. i could be wrong though. :noidea:

ahhhh, but can you really?
regards, corson

Dorok
12th May 2011, 21:11
It's a lie that programs you to keep wanting more at the expense of anyone else, and if you don't then you are a threat against the country and it's citizens and it's culture, etc. Very hard to get off that ride...

Gaia
13th May 2011, 00:06

warmest, corson

Great post my friend !

United States now owe more than $22 trillion on their mortgages and credit cards, more than two and a half times as much as owed twenty years ago. You have become a nation of consumer debtors, not by deliberate policy choices made by elected officials but through the unintended consequences from court decisions interpreting arcane banking laws passed decades earlier. The Founders of your democracy Bequeathed to You a legacy of cultural values that display the diversity of their social perspectives imho. One group argued that politics was about the public, patriotic pursuit of the common good of the community. Americans are viewed as citizens who would be willing to sacrifice for the General Welfare. Other Founders asserted that humans are essentially individuals and not community members. These consumers are primarily motivated by the passionate pursuit of their economic self-interests and should be given the freedom to seek their unique pleasures in their unique ways imho. Over the years, U.S. nation have never totally accepted nor totally rejected either vision... American citizens have ignored the logical contradictions and constructed a society where people are encouraged to be both Patriotic and Self-interested.

I find it so sad that you, as a Nation, seem to Placidly accept the bad behavior and incompetence of your Leaders... You Quietly accept their making themselves Elite above you and govern in deference to the true elite. Your analysis Corson is so correct and true, but if you as individuals were not selfish would do you have let your government get in this mess in the first place. Now that you are in the mess...

I'm asking you, how is it so morally acceptable to give your life for your country but suddenly the equation changes when it is about paying your taxes and help the country recovery from doing Wars ?

Gaia

Flash
13th May 2011, 00:43
What about what I was told by an European:

American way of life: a wife, a dog, 2 kids, a bungalow and a toaster.:o it also looks like the Canadian way of life except for the medical coverage.

Gaia
13th May 2011, 00:48
What about what I was told by an European:

American way of life: a wife, a dog, 2 kids, a bungalow and a toaster.:o it also looks like the Canadian way of life except for the medical coverage.

Author/anthropologist J. R. Colombo: "Canada could have enjoyed English government, French culture and American know-how. Instead, it would up with English know-how, French government, and American culture."

Thank you so much for your input Flash:)

Kindest regards my friend !

Gaia

Gaia
13th May 2011, 00:58
What I really think Gaia's question, "What is the American way of life?" relates too is not a sterotypical view?

Gaia, is asking to SHED your skin and give us YOUR OWN personal view!

Nothing More, Nothing Less!

Does any American feel they can Answer this question, not as an American but as a Human Being with individual views?

Please will someone in America answer this simple question, "What is the American way of life?" in a personal view, without the Star Spangled Banner playing in the background?

I would be nice to hear your thoughts on this ! Please ? Don't be shy !

Gustav
13th May 2011, 07:37
American/US way of life? Not ever having been on either of the american continents I base my thoughts solely on what I have read an watched. To me this entails the complete freedom of settlement, life, death, wealth and poverty that has been completely distorted by ruling classes that in turn have polluted and rewritten history with fake-accounts of butchery by indians/native americans, forcing federal law upon free states, distorting the economy with subsidies, cheating the people out of their money.

If there are periods that can be pointed to as expressions of 'the American/US way of life' than it those periods when there was no central bank at all, the amount of money was capped by the volume of it's guarantor (gold in this case) and the United States could still claim to be a republic and not a democracy. Because it is those brief moments in history that separates the USA from the rest of the world.

It is precisely since the US have become a democracy that an American/US way of life has been nothing more than a marketing tool.

But that of course is my 'best-captains-stay-in-port' point of view ;)

Lord Sidious
13th May 2011, 07:48
Let me redraft the question, what is the american nightmare?
Modern day America.

Davidallany
13th May 2011, 07:59
What is the American way of life ?
Work 5 days a week for 8 hours a day, then blow the money on the weekend or save some of it to blow on a vacation to Cuba or Las Vegas.

crosby
13th May 2011, 08:50
I find it so sad that you, as a Nation, seem to Placidly accept the bad behavior and incompetence of your Leaders... You Quietly accept their making themselves Elite above you and govern in deference to the true elite. Your analysis Corson is so correct and true, but if you as individuals were not selfish would do you have let your government get in this mess in the first place. Now that you are in the mess...

I'm asking you, how is it so morally acceptable to give your life for your country but suddenly the equation changes when it is about paying your taxes and help the country recovery from doing Wars ?

Gaia

the quiet acceptance is a symptom of what we inherited from our patronage and familial lines. we were taught as boys and girls that we are a proud country and that our leaders were there to govern and move us into the next generation with everything we could possibly want or need or desire being at our fingertips. from the late 50's on, something started to change within the younger population (the beginning of the end of 'quiet acceptance) and an entire 'new' method of interpretation began. with the uprising and police action of vietnam, more and more of america's youth started to see a different pattern in what the we were being governed for. however, not everyone could see this. i was busy playing with barbie dolls. i didn't notice anything bad, or wrong. in my opinion, this is where the awakening actually started to formulate and become an integral part of where we are today. the sleepers (me, for example) being the very young and the more mature populace, could never have dreamed that we were being falsely led down the road of selfishness and attrition. it never occurred to us that the wallstreet musketeers were actually manipulating the markets with intrinsic ponzi schemes. that would eventually collapse upon themselves.

young men and women were at one time proud to serve this countries military establishment. they were prepared to die for our very freedoms. it is only now that they recognize the only freedoms we have are really based in consumeristic action. paying taxes, hmmmmm, that is an area of contemplation that some have always resisted. others have paid them willingly, not knowing that these monies were not being used for the purposes proposed and to benefit of each individual town, city, county, state, and nation. when you're blind (so to speak) from birth, and think that life is based upon the education that you have received from your parents, and their parents, and the educations system; it is difficult to assimilate that there is something wrong. it is akin to being told by an abusive spouse that "you are stupid, you will do what i say, because you know nothing more." the selfishness that you speak of, was not an inherent recognition. we believed that we worked everyday, paid our bills and could either save our money ( which is now being confiscated slowly) or spend it on the brilliant bobbles that our advertisers placed before us. remember, being exposed everyday to soap operas and soap bubbles, our mothers wanted the best washing machines, and dish washers and beautiful clothing. no one ever dreamed that we were being led down the road of attrition. brainwashing at it's most superb direction. we were the perfect candidates for a mass experiment. some people in this country still believe that owning the biggest television set in the neighborhood is 'what it's all about.'

the older more mature masses, believe strongly that this 'alternative' awake and aware view is bull****. that think that anyone who has the nerve to stand up and say that our president is lying to us about more than we can comprehend, should be imprisoned. they still believe that concientious objectors are cowards and should be imprisoned. they still believe that their buick or mercedes is the grandest car in the neighborhood. i believe that they will remain sleepers until their deaths.

truly, there are people who are willing and able to make this country what was envisioned in all of our eyes at one time. we could be the greatest nation standing, but at this point, we have more to discover and more to change. it has taken over 50 years to pull this country down with selfishness, control, and greed. it will take 50 more to re-establish an accurate constitution that is equal for all of it's citizens. i see a revolution coming. it is only a matter of time.
warmest, corson

thanks paul for editing. still quite can't get a handle on that. my apologies

Gaia
13th May 2011, 09:43

The American way of life is like a comfortable sofa into which one sinks, forgetting time and place and responsibility, until at some point awakening occurs for a brief moment and one looks around a room cluttered with trash, oozing with toxins and blighted by neglect at this this moment the choice occurs. Do I simply go back to an unconscious state while watching the TV, or begin the slow hard work of cleaning up ?:flock:

Gaia
13th May 2011, 10:27
the older more mature masses, believe strongly that this 'alternative' awake and aware view is bull****. that think that anyone who has the nerve to stand up and say that our president is lying to us about more than we can comprehend, should be imprisoned. they still believe that concientious objectors are cowards and should be imprisoned. they still believe that their buick or mercedes is the grandest car in the neighborhood. i believe that they will remain sleepers until their deaths.

It is a terrifying thing my friend to leave the governance of a first class nation to third-rate people imho.

Gaia
13th May 2011, 11:19
If there are periods that can be pointed to as expressions of 'the American/US way of life' than it those periods when there was no central bank at all, the amount of money was capped by the volume of it's guarantor (gold in this case) and the United States could still claim to be a republic and not a democracy. Because it is those brief moments in history that separates the USA from the rest of the world.

George Orwell wrote about "Meaningless words" That are endlessly repeated in the political arena. Words like freedom, democracy,and justice. Orwell explained that those words have been abused so long that their original meanings have been eviscerated. In Orwell’s view, political words were "Often used in a consciously dishonest way." Without precise meanings behind words, politicians and elites can obscure reality and condition people to reflexively associate certain words with positive or negative perceptions. In other words, unpleasant facts can be hidden behind purposely meaningless language. As a result, Americans have been conditioned to accept the word "Democracy" as a synonym for freedom, and thus to believe that democracy is unquestionably good. Orwell certainly was right about the use of meaningless words in politics. If Americans hope to remain free, they must cut through the fog and attach concrete meanings to the words politicians use to deceive them. They must reassert that America is a republic, not a democracy, and remind to all Americans that the Constitution places limits on government that no majority can overrule.

TimelessDimensions
13th May 2011, 14:19
Eastern USA = quite logical and calculated?
Western USA = quite creative and colourful?

Dorok
13th May 2011, 15:36
A poet's answer?

America

Allen Ginsberg

America I've given you all and now I'm nothing.
America two dollars and twenty-seven cents January 17, 1956.
I can't stand my own mind.
America when will we end the human war?
Go **** yourself with your atom bomb
I don't feel good don't bother me.
I won't write my poem till I'm in my right mind.
America when will you be angelic?
When will you take off your clothes?
When will you look at yourself through the grave?
When will you be worthy of your million Trotskyites?
America why are your libraries full of tears?
America when will you send your eggs to India?
I'm sick of your insane demands.
When can I go into the supermarket and buy what I need with my good looks?
America after all it is you and I who are perfect not the next world.
Your machinery is too much for me.
You made me want to be a saint.
There must be some other way to settle this argument.
Burroughs is in Tangiers I don't think he'll come back it's sinister.
Are you being sinister or is this some form of practical joke?
I'm trying to come to the point.
I refuse to give up my obsession.
America stop pushing I know what I'm doing.
America the plum blossoms are falling.
I haven't read the newspapers for months, everyday somebody goes on trial for
murder.
America I feel sentimental about the Wobblies (http://www.writing.upenn.edu/%7Eafilreis/88/abe-brigade.html#wobblies).
America I used to be a communist when I was a kid and I'm not sorry.
I smoke marijuana every chance I get.
I sit in my house for days on end and stare at the roses in the closet.
When I go to Chinatown I get drunk and never get laid.
My mind is made up there's going to be trouble.
You should have seen me reading Marx.
My psychoanalyst thinks I'm perfectly right.
I won't say the Lord's Prayer.
I have mystical visions and cosmic vibrations.
America I still haven't told you what you did to Uncle Max after he came over
from Russia.
I'm addressing you.
Are you going to let our emotional life be run by Time Magazine?
I'm obsessed by Time Magazine.
I read it every week.
Its cover stares at me every time I slink past the corner candystore.
I read it in the basement of the Berkeley Public Library.
It's always telling me about responsibility. Businessmen are serious. Movie
producers are serious. Everybody's serious but me.
It occurs to me that I am America.
I am talking to myself again.
Asia is rising against me.
I haven't got a chinaman's chance.
I'd better consider my national resources.
My national resources consist of two joints of marijuana millions of genitals
an unpublishable private literature that goes 1400 miles and hour and
twentyfivethousand mental institutions.
I say nothing about my prisons nor the millions of underpriviliged who live in
my flowerpots under the light of five hundred suns.
I have abolished the whorehouses of France, Tangiers is the next to go.
My ambition is to be President despite the fact that I'm a Catholic.
America how can I write a holy litany in your silly mood?
I will continue like Henry Ford my strophes are as individual as his
automobiles more so they're all different sexes
America I will sell you strophes $2500 apiece $500 down on your old strophe
America free Tom Mooney
America save the Spanish Loyalists (http://writing.upenn.edu/%7Eafilreis/88/spain-home.html)
America Sacco & Vanzetti (http://writing.upenn.edu/%7Eafilreis/88/sacvan.html) must not die
America I am the Scottsboro (http://writing.upenn.edu/%7Eafilreis/88/scottsboro.html) boys.
America when I was seven momma took me to Communist Cell meetings they
sold us garbanzos a handful per ticket a ticket costs a nickel and the
speeches were free everybody was angelic and sentimental about the
workers it was all so sincere you have no idea what a good thing the party
was in 1835 Scott Nearing was a grand old man a real mensch Mother
Bloor made me cry I once saw Israel Amter plain. Everybody must have
been a spy.
America you don're really want to go to war.
America it's them bad Russians.
Them Russians them Russians and them Chinamen. And them Russians.
The Russia wants to eat us alive. The Russia's power mad. She wants to take
our cars from out our garages.
Her wants to grab Chicago. Her needs a Red Reader's Digest. her wants our
auto plants in Siberia. Him big bureaucracy running our fillingstations.
That no good. Ugh. Him makes Indians learn read. Him need big black niggers.
Hah. Her make us all work sixteen hours a day. Help.
America this is quite serious.
America this is the impression I get from looking in the television set.
America is this correct?
I'd better get right down to the job.
It's true I don't want to join the Army or turn lathes in precision parts
factories, I'm nearsighted and psychopathic anyway.
America I'm putting my queer shoulder to the wheel.

Dick
13th May 2011, 16:27
Driving big cars on endles highways, whit a cola and a big Mac in a paper bag on the passengers seat, and a gun in the glove box, wearing cowboyboots, on the way home to your ranch, and there's your wife standing in the kitchen, making dinner on a giant stove, while your children are watching MTV on a 50 inch tv.:p
That's what we think, here in Holland.

Dick.

Providence
13th May 2011, 16:44
Eastern USA = quite logical and calculated?
Western USA = quite creative and colourful?

Sorry, but a bit too simplistic!

DianeKJ
13th May 2011, 16:47
ummm.... wow.
I don't know if there are any answers to this huge question that would appease many of you. I feel hostility here, so I'm actually feeling self conscious about even posting.

I was born in America, I don't have anything to compare it to. Do I "feel" American and what does America stand for? I don't know what that means or is supposed to mean. I don't "feel" american most of the time. I've always been different, or felt that way. Things that are important to the majority of people around me, are not important to me. I don't feel American, but honestly I sometimes don't feel human.

I see people here struggling for answers, I see confusion in some and denial in others. I don't believe we are the only country dealing with this, but then again maybe that is my denial.
Peace,
Di

Lord Sidious
13th May 2011, 16:49
ummm.... wow.
I don't know if there are any answers to this huge question that would appease many of you. I feel hostility here, so I'm actually feeling self conscious about even posting.

I was born in America, I don't have anything to compare it to. Do I "feel" American and what does America stand for? I don't know what that means or is supposed to mean. I don't "feel" american most of the time. I've always been different, or felt that way. Things that are important to the majority of people around me, are not important to me. I don't feel American, but honestly I sometimes don't feel human.

I see people here struggling for answers, I see confusion in some and denial in others. I don't believe we are the only country dealing with this, but then again maybe that is my denial.
Peace,
Di

Let go of the rope Di.
You aren't american, you are Di.
Stress not.

DianeKJ
13th May 2011, 16:51
ummm.... wow.

Peace,
Di

Let go of the rope Di.
You aren't american, you are Di.
Stress not.

Thank you :) letting go and I love you for that, thanks for the reminder

Providence
13th May 2011, 18:17
I can only speak from personal experience...

I was born in a hospital, lived my youth in the suburbs of a small town, father was a used car salesman, mother was a housewife as most wives were during that period. Television became affordable for most families and as a child I was a big fan, especially when it came to Saturday morning cartoons. I would sit in front of the 'boob tube' watching cartoons and eating a big plate of cinnamon toast on Saturday mornings. Played outside a lot, especially during the Summers when school was out, I stayed outside till after dark just having fun roaming the neighborhood with friends, riding bikes, staring up at the stars, and getting into mischief.
I got a job at a gas station at 14, cut lawns to make spending money, and hated school. In high school, I dated some, tried out for sports, and got into a serious relationship. We got married just out of high school when we were both 19. We both had good jobs, I worked as a diesel mechanic, she as a bank teller, had two dogs and no kids, rented a small house for about a year until we could get enough money together to buy a home.
We fought a lot, talked of divorce, but decided to have kids instead, to fix things.
Several years and two great kids later, we moved away to another state for a year while I went back to college. I was a student and Mr. Mom, she worked at the college to help make ends meet. My dad was diagnosed with cancer, we moved back to a small town closer to my birthplace in order to spend more time with him. I worked for a large auto repair shop and eventually had the opportunity to buy the business. We were there for about 10 years, raising our kids and working to get ahead. We ran the business successfully until a government program caused the local manufacturing plants to move their production to Mexico, which destroyed the local economy and our business.
Business went on the auction block, sold for a fraction of it's worth. Got a job at the local technical school, teaching high school students how to become automotive technicians. Got another job offer from a college in another town to teach and I went. I made some serious mistakes in our relationship that ended us in divorce after almost 25 years of marriage. Found 'true love' shortly thereafter and got married again, this time for almost 5 years, then divorce. I remarried recently to a woman that challenges me daily, but is very real, and I am very thankful for her.

That's the facts, so to speak, a glimpse inside of a common everyday American life...

I now understand that I was born in a box, a structure that in my youth I did not truly comprehend. Television, public opinion formed my parents lives and lifestyles, as they did my own. Family dramas on TV portrayed 'real life' and we modeled them as close as we could, sheeple. The forced concepts of patriotism, lifestyles, sex, love, money, marriage, family values, social values etc., were dealt to us in daily doses and we swallowed the pills of submission and pasted a smile on our obedient faces.

And one last thing, maybe a little off the subject, but considering the audience I feel I just need to say this:
I am proud of who I am, proud to have been born here in America, proud of my parents (now gone), proud of my wife, proud of my kids, proud of the opportunities i have had in life, but I cannot wave the flag of patriotism for this country. I see the hypocrisy of our government, the arrogance, the utter self-serving acts perpetrated for the sake of 'democracy' or 'freedom' and it appalls me. And there are many, many good people in America who see things for what they really are, but being in the minority, we have very little voice and influence to change things, but we are here!

I bid you all Peace!

crosby
13th May 2011, 18:44
and that is a very good response. i applaud you for sharing your personal life story with us. and i am in the same boat that you are. i am an american, yet, i do not fly the flag of patriotism for this country either. there is too much deception, corruption, greed, and abuse of power.
warmest regards, corson

Fred259
13th May 2011, 18:48
A wonderful post Providence, I thoroughly enjoyed it,…. You’re a fighter I will say that…fear not good times will come again…Thanks for sharing.

Providence
13th May 2011, 19:21
A wonderful post Providence, I thoroughly enjoyed it,…. You’re a fighter I will say that…fear not good times will come again…Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Fred!

And sorry if I left the impression of having a 'hard life', funny when I wrote that I wasn't feeling that way. I am probably the happiest, most peaceful, and content, than I have ever been in my life right now. Life's lessons can be hard, but I am so thankful for every one of them, they have made me who I am and I am a much more enlightened and understanding person because of them.

Lord Sidious
13th May 2011, 23:22

Thank you Fred!

And sorry if I left the impression of having a 'hard life', funny when I wrote that I wasn't feeling that way. I am probably the happiest, most peaceful, and content, than I have ever been in my life right now. Life's lessons can be hard, but I am so thankful for every one of them, they have made me who I am and I am a much more enlightened and understanding person because of them.

It is good that you are thankful for your life lessons, they are your opportunity to attain wisdom.