View Full Version : Old news - Dutch pension fund ordered by government to divest itself of gold
15th May 2011, 20:41
Old news but I just learned of it. This is shocking (but it makes sense if you're among the controllers).
16th May 2011, 07:54
A few remarks:
1. It is uncertain whether the 'De Nederlandsche Bank' is a government-owned bank or not. It's charter is quite unreadable..
2. The government in reality has little to do with the 'De Nederlandsche Bank'. Behind the curtains, above the curtains, somewhat in front of the curtains, near the curtains all sorts of strings are pulled, but not from the core of the government as the public views it. Namely the 1st and 2nd Chambers and the coalition
3. Technically the lawsuit is about the spreading of assets of the Pension fund to establish a spreading policy to prevent the covering percentage below 100% of what they have or need to have in order to pay out their participants. However, it can be misused (and it is) to also cap the investments that really make a buck for the participants as is the case in this lawsuit.
4. In practice it is indeed about ordering people what to do, even if all people involved agreed to the course taken by the Pension Fund.
4. What is strange is that the argument of the Pension Fund is ignored by both the ruling judge and the 'De Nederlandsche Bank' because the switch to gold in 2008 by the pension fund is what saved that same pension fund from failing to meet the 100% covering grade in 2008. They even had a covering grade of over 104% due to their move into gold.
5. The 'De Nederlandsche Bank' is not presenting a good argument. It states that the volatility of gold is making gold a bad investment that cannot be relied upon when it makes up too big a part of the total array of investments. Strange than that this basis of gold has been the basis of banks and governments for milennia.. Unfortunately the Pension Fund failed to adress that notion.
Thank you for the link, I had not yet heard of it. Which is not that strange, since this news does not beat the drum of a happy government helping happy people to live their happy lives...
Powered by vBulletin™ Version 4.1.1 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.