PDA

View Full Version : Swearing, how do you perceive it?

Omni
24th May 2011, 20:50
I'm curious how people here perceive swearing. I don't like how some people think people who swear are less intelligent, or think less of their character.

To me, when I swear, it's just like any other words 99.9% of the time.

When I've said "F that S" it just means something similar to "I don't like that" if you were paying attention to my concepts/mind. I come from a poor background. I grew up some of my childhood in a ghetto-ish area. Swearing was just another way to say things. I was asked by ETs(supposedly) to not swear due to how people perceive it. They don't mind at all when I speak to them and swear, because they have access to my mind, and understand what I mean. It's lighthearted to me.

I'm not sure I've ever used a swear word on Avalon. I just don't want to effect people in ways it can. But I tend to think a bad reaction to swearing is more based on pre-existing conditioning, instead of perceptively getting what that person meant.

I understand the other side of the coin. For example if someone had an abusive parent that sweared at them all the time. I could see developing bad programming when hearing swearing. Like it reminds them of abuse or something.

Other than hearing people's point of view on swearing, a purpose of making this thread is to say that when some people swear, they have the same concepts/energy in their mind as when someone isn't. And there are flaws in how people perceive it often I've found. I've been judged for swearing before.

My philosophy when younger was "they are words. Words are for using". Perhaps someone will debate that. I don't mind.

So what are your views on swearing? Do you think less of someone if they swear?

firstlook
24th May 2011, 20:53
Context is everything. A word can be used to make people feel good or bad. Swear words IMO are just fine as long as you dont insult people. Like when I stub my toe on the stairs an scream sh*t. I dont think someone has the right to say "Thats a bad word". I never understood this complaint.

But thats me.

Edit: Actually I do understand the complaint. Its like discipline. To swear is to loose discipline over your thoughts and emotion Is how many perceive it. Which is valid. But I dont think people should be "offended".

HURRITT ENYETO
24th May 2011, 21:03
I think for the most part swear words are only perceived as bad because society has conditioned people to think that way.
Most people don't even know what swear words mean :)

Who decided that x swearword is bad?
Words are words, the only meaning they have is the meaning we give them.
So is it 'politically correct' to swear..... no...but don't get me started on political correctness lol

Hurritt

Morgaine
24th May 2011, 21:14
If I was feeling mischievous, I would venture to say swearing is a fundamental part (in my humble opinion) of the good and correct use of the exciting English language in all it's splendor..
In the correct company and context of course, as you must be discerning when you decide to use a profanity. But sometimes the thing you need to say is simply not as good without it!
In my youth I was guilty of swearing with abandon, as such was the company and the surroundings I was bought up in. To illustrate my point I draw attention to the time an Australian truck driver was shocked at the selection of jokes I was sharing with him :eek:
These days I realise that this is not the impression I would like people to have of me, and I try to let my true gentle self show through rather than my show off one..(sometimes!) by carefully choosing my words and only swearing occasionally, and I admit I still enjoy the feel of a good swear word. :p
To quote my hero Stephen Fry on swearing:
"The sort of twee person who thinks that swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education, or a lack of verbal interest, is just f***ing lunatic"

truthseekerdan
24th May 2011, 21:16
So what are your views on swearing? Do you think less of someone if they swear?

The thought behind the words is what counts. JMHO

Jake
24th May 2011, 21:24
Thanks Omni,, for bringing this up. I guess there is a time and place for everything. I do not mind using swear words if it is in the appropriate context. Especially if it is a private conversation. Plus I try not to swear around children. As I grow older, I find that I am not swearing as much. I try to not get offended too much. Has anyone heard of OSHO? His flavor of teaching is right up my alley. Here is a short video that is right on topic. OSHO explains that when you take the word 'god' out of the everyday language and/or jargon, then it creates a vaccuum for other colorful words. I don't necessarily agree with him, but he makes a good case,,, funny too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D7rWLzloOI

Nyce555
24th May 2011, 21:55
I try not to do it as much as I used to because it can just get excessive sometimes and some people get uncomfortable by it. I personally don't judge anyone that does or doesn't. I guess there is a time and place for it. In a casual setting, fine. At work, not so much. I don't like to do it around kids either because they are so impressionable.

pickle
24th May 2011, 21:56
I was a mechanic when I left school, and when you've just deposited a few layers of skin in a customers car, swearing is downright therapeutic!

Context is everything though; a night in Dublin, where every other word is colourful, well, it's almost like a song, and impossible to be offended by.

Anyways, when you really want to insult your fellow human, it's hard to beat crossing Shakespear with Monty Python, and if you disagree with me, you are a scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! :p

No, really, I love you, and *&%$*ing peace to the lot of you ;-) Have a great eve/day wherever you are!

Pickle

Lord Sidious
24th May 2011, 22:13
F**k that s**t, I hate f**kwits who f**kin swear all the f**kin time. :p

New Dawn
24th May 2011, 22:16
There's nothing wrong with swearing - just words, like all others, its how and when its used. I'm fairly sure I've never done it on here, because there's no reason to, but my mouth can run some 'bad' words in general conversation, although I try to keep it down to a minimum - not because I don't want to offend (although its never my intention), but because any word that is over used becomes obsolete in a sense, and I don't like picking up habits! :)

ND

Second Son
24th May 2011, 22:19
Looks like you are still working on that record, Sid... top poster, ataboy.;)

When I say something like "Die and go to hell, you f-ing a-hole", I really mean, "Hey, wassup?"

Has it really come to this? What the hell does it take to get kicked off this f-ing, f-ed, goddamn website, anyway??:banplease:?.

ceetee9
24th May 2011, 22:33
My view on this subject is words are just words. They have no intrinsic power. It is the receiver who determines what power, if any, the words will yield. That's not to say that the transmitter of the words cannot deliver the words with sufficient emotion and/or body language that the receiver may well be able to interpret, but it is still the receiver who ultimately decides how the words will affect them.

I swear much less today than I did in my youth, not because I have acquiesced to the "politically correct" mentality--far from it--but because I have learned that excessive profanity does tend to cloud the message. I used to feel that if profanity bothered someone it was their problem (i.e., they let the "colorful" words distract and/or upset them unnecessarily). However, after many years of socializing with both people who swore frequently and others who didn't swear at all, I can see how extraneous profanity can distract one from what is being said. I doubt, however, that I will ever join the ranks of those who never swear at all. I just can't see me stubbing my toe on something in the middle of the night and trading "f*#$* that hurt" for something like "oh my, that was quite unpleasant." ;)

Arrowwind
24th May 2011, 22:46
Swearing is preformed by a mind that is not functioning correctly. The words do have power not only to the hearer but to the speaker. They seek out foulness instead of intelligent cogent conversation. Many are fixated on it. Is a mental fixation ever normal?

In homeopathy swearing is a symptom that is taken into consideration for the selection of a constitutional remedy. If the correct remedy is selected the swearing will stop as the mind is no longer fixated on such negativity but has opened its channels to other avenues of communication.

Words are symbols and symbols carry power... how one allows that power to affect them is individual. some people are very weak and you could blow my mother over with swear words if you wanted to. It is negativity that tones and qualifies reality for many of us and we get to observe untold negativity in the news as well as out of the mouths of our friends and associates.

Why induce images of rape, feces, anger, assault on god and insult to anothers mother? what is it in ones mind that is drawn to such forms of communication?

MMA_Fan
24th May 2011, 23:00
Swearing, how do you perceive it?

It's an artform.

"Man says to his wife: ‘Pack your bags, I’ve won the pools.’
She says: ‘What should I pack? Something light, something warm? Where are we going?’
He says: ‘We’re going nowhere. Just pack your bags and f*** off.’"
-Bernard Manning

Some Bloke
24th May 2011, 23:03
It's a very intresting area , depending on class, region , culture , etc etc Then there is slang, is the word Boll***s a swear word or not ? In French the context of a word denotes its strength, and now that English has gone global probably the same laws apply
As I'm working class , I'm free to explete exept here XD

Omni
24th May 2011, 23:11
Swearing is preformed by a mind that is not functioning correctly.
If you added IM(H)O I'd have no beef with this statement. But you appear to be stating it as fact. My mind has been functioning quite fine when swearing. I perceive the words as any other word. How can you make this claim without being in other's minds? I strongly disagree. Words are highly relative. It's not as simple as you put it IMHO.

The words do have power not only to the hearer but to the speaker. They seek out foulness instead of intelligent cogent conversation.
I think you are too caught up in your own version of reality to be honest. I do not seek foulness while swearing, nor do I perceive them as foul alone. This is your own subjective view on it. You state it as fact though, oddly enough... Maybe you just forgot to add "IMO".

Many are fixated on it. Is a mental fixation ever normal?

I think in 2011 humans here, mental fixations are "normal", yes. I am not fixated on it though. It's just a way of expressing myself. People like you are why I don't do it as much as I used to. Your perception treats it as foulness, and so I do not want you to view me as foul(erroneously). So I restrict my expression to suit your perception, as to better see who I am, and not be fooled by your own (potential)illusions of swearing.

In homeopathy swearing is a symptom that is taken into consideration for the selection of a constitutional remedy. If the correct remedy is selected the swearing will stop as the mind is no longer fixated on such negativity but has opened its channels to other avenues of communication.

Swearing isn't negative in my mental coding. Your mental coding is not universal....

Words are symbols and symbols carry power... how one allows that power to affect them is individual. some people are very weak and you could blow my mother over with swear words if you wanted to. It is negativity that tones and qualifies reality for many of us and we get to observe untold negativity in the news as well as out of the mouths of our friends and associates.
I don't swear around old people, or very young people. I wouldn't judge them as "weak" for allowing swear words to affect them personally. Just wired differently.

Why induce images of rape, feces, anger, assault on god and insult to anothers mother? what is it in ones mind that is drawn to such forms of communication?
I don't think of rape, feces, anger, assault, etc when swearing. And I wouldn't swear around your mother. I do it intuitively. Words hold the energy we apply to them. Swear words are not negative to me unless they are used negatively. As many have said, it depends on the context. One judgment does not fit all.

Judging by your post I bet you have judged people as not mentally sound, and foul, just by them using words you have judgmental views about. I think the problem is more likely to be in your perception, than them, to be quite honest. No offense intended. Just speaking my opinion, as you are.

Anchor
24th May 2011, 23:23
@Omniverse: I swear I don't know what you are f*****g talking about.

:)

ulli
24th May 2011, 23:24
I still do it using it as a form of venting, and venting is healthier than repressing stuff.

But if one can see that neither venting, nor repressing are the answer,

if one wants to refine the self, then a third option has to be considered.

The third option is to consciously not vent, not swear, not complain, not scold, not express any

negativity, as a form of excercise.

Better to train oneself in all manner of speaking, so long as it is not imposed by the church lady.

Cleaning up one's language and thoughts can create new habits

that when mastered open the doors to new experiences of a higher level.

There are environments where swearing is taboo,

and some good people who never grew up using such language would be really offended.

When arriving in the third world I found that people are a lot more formal than westerners,

who have been letting "it all hang out" for decades now.

I was a foulmouth, British style, and my son hates the fact that his mother swears,

and he has been hinting at me about not doing it anymore,

even though I hear him curse his own computer occasionally.

So now that you have me thinking about this, Omni, I will be monitoring how many times I curse

for the remainder of today.

The other day I told my husband off for saying a**hole all the time and he said 'it was you who

taught me.'

S**t!!

Omni
24th May 2011, 23:24

I totally didn't make the thread thinking people would swear a lot. lol. I hope you are joking :p

Davidallany
24th May 2011, 23:25
We create our own realities.

Davidallany
24th May 2011, 23:39
Swearing is a form of magical incantation to bring disturbance to one's own inner purity, and like any other word has an impact on the listeners' inner space, that magnitude is dependant on where one is one the spiritual path. It all starts at the thought level, catch the feeling when it arises, and free yourself. It's easer to do that if you watch the movement of the thought, through being in a state of awareness of your body, your breathing, sensations and thoughts.

Anchor
24th May 2011, 23:44

I totally didn't make the thread thinking people would swear a lot. lol. I hope you are joking :p

I was merely playing with the word swearing. Sorry to alarm you. I like to play.

It is my "creed" that we ought to hold ourselves responsible for every thought word action and deed.

We are creators.

Every word uttered or written is a creation and we are responsible for it and the impact on the co-created reality that is manifest as a consequence of its creation.

The energy of each word depends a lot on the context in which it is used, and the intent behind it.

John..

Sierra
24th May 2011, 23:47
Omniverse,

I definitely *can* think less of someone if they swear lol! I can also release tension and find humor, joy and hilarity if someone swears appropriately. It all depends on context and intent as everyone has been saying on this thread.

"Don't frighten the horses" is my mantra simply because the energy behind swearing can be vicious and destructive.

Thanks Jake! This will be the second Osho video I've seen posted on Avalon. I was impressed with the first video I watched of him on the subject of jealousy as an ancient tool of the cabal to introduce division and separation among humans. That was truly an aha moment.

Sierra

HURRITT ENYETO
24th May 2011, 23:49
It's a very intresting area , depending on class, region , culture , etc etc Then there is slang, is the word Boll***s a swear word or not ? In French the context of a word denotes its strength, and now that English has gone global probably the same laws apply
As I'm working class , I'm free to explete exept here XD

Are you sure your working class, your Avatar looks middle class :)
I'm upper class,
Ta Ta old chap :yo:

9eagle9
25th May 2011, 00:00
It seems that Swearing has been bundled up and confused with cursing.

A curse is ... a curse. May a cat eat your manly parts and may the cat be eaten by the devil. Not really well intentioned .... in the context of delivering a curse saying *uck you is probably a bit more benign.

Somewhere along the way swearing and cursing got confused. Even swearing doesn't mean swearing really -vulgar-language--swearing means giving oath? Swearing fealty? Giving a mighty oath was known as swearing once but they meant cursing...lol.

So we are neither swearing or cursing but just using vulgar terminology? Crass, low form language. Which distinguishes us from the aristocracy,....

There is that fable about the F word meaning what? For unlawful carnal knowledge and there was another one. Something about the king?

Jordan Maxwell stuck this one out there. **********. Ship High In Transit. Meant that was filled with manure (5hit!) . Manure had to ride high above the bilge for air circulation because it gets hot, and catches fire eventually. Shipping nomenclature.

@ss. Obvious.

God dammit is a curse. Or God damn you. Often replaced with God bless it when polite company is about.

Damn it is curse.

This damned car is apparently referring to a car that is cursed and will be hell bound once its engine expires.

Taking the Lord's name in vain is allegedly a curse worthy of being sent hell bound but since e no one really knows what the lord's name is......I don't think there's much danger of that. I've personally never heard anyone say Yaweh dammit or Jehovah Damn you.

Mother *ucker is terribly incestuously suggestive. And so is bastard which also all goes back to royalty, aristocracy, and bloodlines for their nefarious behaviors they would stoop to in order to keep their feeble hemophiliac blood intact, rendering into the populace all manner of their strange diseases.

and on and on and on.

Having once attended the kindergarten open house of my daughter who had been instructed to crayon a picture depicting family life, I found myself childishly drawn, pottering about in the garden , with a stream of ^%$#&^%$#@(* coming from my mouth. The portrait was labeled "My mother rides horses and swears a lot". For all the world to see.

I toned down a little bit after but she's nearly 16 now and has even stranger and more bizarre language than plain old '****' and ****ity-****...or ****adoodledooo that I use.

Omni
25th May 2011, 00:01
Swearing is a form of magical incantation to bring disturbance to one's own inner purity, and like any other word has an impact on the listeners' inner space, that magnitude is dependant on where one is one the spiritual path. It all starts at the thought level, catch the feeling when it arises, and free yourself. It's easer to do that if you watch the movement of the thought, through being in a state of awareness of your body, your breathing, sensations and thoughts.

I've never felt a disturbance in my inner purity when hearing swear words unless the person swearing has emotion/meaning behind it that is disturbing. It's not the word that disturbs me, it's the energy behind it. There is only a couple words that disturb me when I hear them no matter what the intention behind them is. They are racial or sexual terms(I perceive) of hatred(starting with N, or F. I refuse to type them out). I don't agree that words themselves can cause inner purity loss if you do not apply/perceive negativity to the words yourself.

The word grass has the same amount of negativity as sh** if used light heartedly.

Like i said, words are very relative, based on how one perceives them. We don't all perceive things the same. Therefore one word will affect one person different than another in many cases. And any judgment upon words is flawed in that way if one tries to pigeonhole words to one effect on people. Like a guy using the F word I strongly dislike. He uses it playing around. It doesn't hold the same meaning to him as it does me. He's not using it as a hatred filled sexually related term, as I perceive it.

Like you said David, we create our realities. Why would you create a reality where a word hurts your inner purity, may I ask?

Also, I may add a thought I got when younger when going over swearing in theory and practice.

My theory was swear words help logic slightly. because they are used so inter-changably, one must use logic automatically while discerning what the meaning behind the word is. They might even help psychic training. Sometimes when someone uses the word sh** or fu**, you are more attached to the exact energy in their mind, instead of a contextual definition of the word. Maybe there are flaws in these theories/ponderings though. Just my thoughts when I was around 16. lol.

9eagle9
25th May 2011, 00:06
Swearing is a construct of the material world. I extraordinarily doubt swearing does a whole to disrupt the purity of the spirit . If it does we are all ****ed. :p Unless we stuff our ears with cotton. We beings attach meanings to words not spirit.

I've never felt a disturbance in my inner purity when hearing swear words unless the person swearing has emotion/meaning behind it that is disturbing. It's not the word that disturbs me, it's the energy behind it. There is only a couple words that disturb me when I hear them no matter what the intention behind them is. They are racial or sexual terms(I perceive) of hatred(starting with N, or F. I refuse to type them out). I don't agree that words themselves can cause inner purity loss if you do not apply/perceive negativity to the words yourself.

The word grass has the same amount of negativity as sh** if used light heartedly.

Like i said, words are very relative, based on how one perceives them. We don't all perceive things the same. Therefore one word will affect one person different than another in many cases. And any judgment upon words is flawed in that way if one tries to pigeonhole words to one effect on people. Like a guy using the F word I strongly dislike. He uses it playing around. It doesn't hold the same meaning to him as it does me. He's not using it as a hatred filled sexually related term, as I perceive it.

Like you said David, we create our realities. Why would you create a reality where a word hurts your inner purity, may I ask?

Also, I may add a thought I got when younger when going over how if I should swear or not.

My theory was swear words help logic slightly. because they are used so inter-changably, one must use logic automatically while discerning what the meaning behind the word is. They might even help psychic training. Sometimes when someone uses the word sh** or fu**, you are more attached to the exact energy in their mind, instead of a contextual definition of the word. Maybe there are flaws in these theories/ponderings though. Just my thoughts when I was around 16. lol.

happyexpat
25th May 2011, 00:15
I think "Your Word is Your Wand". I believe all words have energetic vibrations whether we are speaking them or thinking them or typing them or handwriting them.

I drop the occasional 'f' bomb myself.

I do find it rather disturbing when people seem incapable of forming constructive sentences without a single expletive, and I especially prefer people not to swear around our little One who is a copy cat in the extreme at the present.

norman
25th May 2011, 00:16
Vulgar language is an ancient part of the verbal "armoury". When you feel it's effect in the grounding of a personal relationship it's a barrier that intimate partners put up around themselves in just the same way as they might select a secluded spot before becoming sexually intimate together.

It's about being, either, intimate, or preposterously the verbally violent opposite, as in 'rape'.

If a person uses the F word loudly in non intimate company it's virtually a war cry. In a societal framework where it's common it only hints as such, but in a highly charged situation of the most delicate diplomacy it's a switch signal that says **** YOU! ( and has started lots of wars )

Male primates are well known to adopt a sexually abusive stance as a way to claim superiority over other male primates. Given the verbal expression of humans they might stop short of actually ****ing, or attempting to, another male in the anus, but they really do.

It's not a nicey nicey homosexual thing at all. It's all about violent domination with a perfectly included sexual element to ram the point home to all the females observing the act.

Our modern and manipulated experience has abstracted all of those expressive symbols into a soft verbal porn where most of the users of verbal vulgarity are doing it more like spilling their food than ensuring their genes.

White Phoenix
25th May 2011, 00:22
I think it's not just a matter of context, but the charge given to it. This is where the power of words is, in the emotion. Otherwise it's just a sound we use to communicate. It's the same as praying, or saying "I love you", or an incantation, or an affirmation, without the emotion to back it up it doesn't mean anything.

Here's a few videos about swearing that some of you might enjoy...

WARNING! The following videos contain 'bad' language! ...No sh*t, Sherlock!

Use Of The 'F" Word... Is there any other word as versatile?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsfjfnk3_co&feature=related

It's Easy M'kay... A guide to giving-up the potty mouth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWkiWtqgOWc

It Hits The Fan (Full Episode)... The truth about curse words?

http://karambavidz.com/rzw8p4tvdcfp

Davidallany
25th May 2011, 00:25
Omniverse, I am in total agreement with the words I have quoted here. I hope this will clarify my previous statement. All the best :) my friend.

The sound vidya includes all types of sounds, such as the sound of breathing, the sound of an earthquake, the sound of an erupting volcano, the sound of a firearm, the sound of a gentle breeze in the forest, the sound of a roaring tsunami, the sound of an air whistle on a boat, the sound of buzzing insects, all of the intermingling sounds of nature within the universe such as the sound of flowing water; the sound of us debating, speaking, reciting literature; and so on and so forth. All sounds produced by everything that can produce sound that are pleasurable to living beings are included within the sound vidya." It can also involve hand gestures or other forms of communication. Broadly speaking, it also includes the ability to communicate with other species and types of living beings both on earth and beyond. His Holiness asked, "How could you say that the sound vidya is simply spoken words? Such an interpretation is terrible! The sound of rain is part of the sound vidya. All delightful sounds and any sound that is beneficial to living beings emitted from animate beings or inanimate things compose the sound vidya."

Zhaxi Zhuoma Rinpoche asked His Holiness if a certain jazz musician who was so enthusiastic about the His Holiness’s calligraphy—who was attracted to the rhythms of the writing even though he knew no Chinese, maybe “heard” them? She was told, “Yes.” There is an energy that can be felt and heard as well as seen and that is expressed in the sound vidya.

The second vidya is usually referred to as craftsmanship or art and technology, but it is also much more. It not only includes the ability to create works of art, like sculpture or painting, or technological innovations, but also anything where you express yourself from making facial grimaces where you turn a frown into a smile to applying makeup to the clothes you wear. H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III Wan Ko Yeshe Norbu warns us that to foolishly say that this only includes painting is wrong. "The craftsmanship vidya is much more than merely painting. If it were merely a craft like painting, then shouldn’t Yun Sculpture not be part of the craftsmanship vidya? Shouldn’t artistic sculptured landscape scenes also not be part of the craftsmanship vidya? Shouldn’t the alteration and tailoring of clothing likewise not be part of the craftsmanship vidya? All of these are in fact part of the craftsmanship vidya. As I said a moment ago, haircutting or hairdressing is also part of the craftsmanship vidya. How a model walks on stage is part of the craftsmanship vidya. This is a type of artistic expression. Everything that is beautiful and artistic is included within the craftsmanship vidya. Whatever brings enjoyment and happiness to people is part of the craftsmanship vidya. Sitting in a dignified manner, as straight as a bell, totally conforming to the appearance of a member of the sangha, is also part of the craftsmanship vidya. The craftsmanship vidya contains the manifold changes. In short, things that embody that which is good and things of art are all part of the craftsmanship vidya. You must understand these things!"

H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III Wan Ko Yeshe Norbu told one of the rinpoches present: "You are smiling with your mouth lightly closed. At this time, your expression is part of the craftsmanship vidya. The falseness or trueness of what you express outwardly and feel inwardly are all part of the craftsmanship vidya. If you did not have a certain inner feeling, then you would not be smiling with your mouth lightly closed. In your heart or mind, you lack art. You only know to smile. Thus, you lack craftsmanship. The craftsmanship vidya represents the two aspects of our outward expression and our spirit. Our spirit is included in the craftsmanship vidya. Take, for example, the case where someone’s spirit is full. How is it full? Such a person is very self-confident. He feels that the expression of his spirit is very beautiful. This is also part of the craftsmanship vidya. Some actors in plays have stage fright. Although on the surface they very much appear to have craftsmanship, their spirit lacks craftsmanship. When some people take the stage, not only do they appear well, they are full of spirit. They think that they will certainly be the best. Their spirit is very full. This spirit is part of the craftsmanship vidya. This is extremely profound.

GCS1103
25th May 2011, 00:38
I swear quite a bit when I am working, just like the other people around me. It's a way for us to blow off some steam. Maybe it's the area of the country that I live in, but an awful lot of people around here swear. It is not intended to offend anyone, it's just part of our vocabulary. I have sat in board rooms with bank executives who would never let a swear word pass their lips, but they had no problem destroying people's lives without a second thought. I'll take the guy who swears over these "holier than thou" hypocrites any day.

norman
25th May 2011, 00:50
I have sat in board rooms with bank executives who would never let a swear word pass their lips

I'll tell you a quicky.

I was once in a very horrible place in my life.

I had been remanded in custody charged with attempted murder. I had been locked up for nearly 6 months when my solicitior brought my QC Barister to visit me in Winston Green prison in Birmingham (UK). I was ( well frazzled by the whole thing ) upset.

We had a chat in a little room off the side of the visiting hall.

I was, at first, quite shy and couldn't offer much to the conversation so it was a duo with the solicitor and the QC ( queens council ).

Suddenly, The QC let loose the most shocking array of the most brilliantly illuminated vulgarity I've ever heard in my life.

We all locked eyes and quickly knew exactly what the order of issues would be in the forthcoming trial.

[ I might regret posting this ]

ulli
25th May 2011, 00:51
We create our own realities.

you are quite right, David.

I believe that, too.

Now I understand why there are so many a$$holes in this world.

Heather2017
25th May 2011, 00:55
I thought this was interesting info (pasted from http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/04/18/wtf-study-shows-swearing-reduces-pain/):

Researchers at Keele University in the UK have found that swearing can have a painkilling power, especially for people that don't regularly curse. To test their theory, Dr. Richard Stephens and other scientists conducted an experiment with student volunteers. The students were asked to submerge their arms into a bucket of icy water, while repeatedly uttering a swear word. (It's not clear what the specific swear word was, but we're naturally assuming the worst.) They then repeated the experiment, while repeating a "harmless" word rather than a swear.

The results showed that volunteers were able to keep their arms in the icy water longer when they were swearing than they could when they were uttering the harmless word. According to the scientists, these results demonstrate the link between swearing and an increase in tolerance to pain. It should also be noted that for the volunteers who weren't habitual swearers, swearing was four times more likely to ease the pain caused by the icy water.

Why does this painkilling effect kick in when we swear? One theory the researchers are considering, is that swearing — an act of aggression, especially if it's not a part of your daily vernacular — triggers your fight-or-flight instincts, which can ramp up your tolerance to pain.
I certainly feel better if I let loose with some choice words after I've hurt myself. :yell:

craig mitchell
25th May 2011, 01:03
Oh my, this is interestingly complex now isn't it? Quite a few of us, me included, have said that we don't swear as much as in the past, perhaps understanding the complexities of how other perceive and judge
Context is important, as in the time and place including who's present etc
Intention is perhaps the most critical because intent carries with it the energy of thought on the mental, not external. Who here hasn't been made to feel creepy or fouled by a perfectly proper non swear type remark that was coupled with bad intent? The underlying content gets conveyed by the ones who delivers the outer message. I have an old friend who was raised on the streets of San Francisco, spent some years in the Merchant Marines (that crew are not goody-goody teetotalers) and at times swears like a trooper, and is the most kind, gracious, and loving guy you'll ever meet. We get together and talk and laugh our keesters off and the words don't matter in this context.

I do swear, and at times I don't feel right about it and it's then that I'm overcome by a wee bit of negativity. At other times the ordinary King's English just won't do, something with a bit more weight is required to convey the import and passion (positive or negative) that I must express! Keeping intuitively aware of the feeling state of the area and those present or nearby is what guides those of us who "swear responsibly", to borrow a phrase from the local wineries who want you to drink lots, but pretend that they don't.

So, please don't drive and swear,
Regards, Craig

Anno
25th May 2011, 01:03
It is the energy and intention behind the words that matter more to me. A swear word used sparingly and timed well can bring laughter and defuse situations. Especially the word Bugger which is just inherently funny.

I'll give you an example of the bad swearing from my bus ride today. There were three teenage lads at the back who were planning on beating up this other lad they knew, something to do with a girl and facebook. Every other word was f***k this, f***k that, I'm gonna f***k him right up. And I thought, no, you're not. If you were you'd just do it, not talk about it. You're just emotionally masturbating eachother in public because you feel threatened and weak.
The violence and hatred was coming out in their voices and the swear words were carrying it around the bus and creating a toxic environment that everyone else was forced to experience. It made me feel like going and bitchslapping the lot of them to teach them the law of attraction. I didn't, and just reminded myself to not let my ipod battery run out if I'm going to use public transport during peak hour. As they got off, one of them punched the smallest of the group and he nearly started crying with the shock and betrayal. So the law of attraction found its own way into his life at least. Bugger. =]

norman
25th May 2011, 01:18
So, please don't drive and swear,

On the other hand,

The "men" who paint the world, are gripping a pallet full of the most disgusting emulsions imaginable, and we are supposed to blink and see beauty.

Mandala
25th May 2011, 01:21
For me, it's about intention, content and voice tone. I guess the receiver is the one that usually perceives the message and gives feedback. But the intention is extremely important to me.

norman
25th May 2011, 01:25
For me, it's about intention, content and voice tone.

I couldn't agree more.

That's why we need to get our hearts together in this plane of life and say ( very influencially ), **** OFF!

GCS1103
25th May 2011, 01:58
I have sat in board rooms with bank executives who would never let a swear word pass their lips

I'll tell you a quicky.

I was once in a very horrible place in my life.

I had been remanded in custody charged with attempted murder. I had been locked up for nearly 6 months when my solicitior brought my QC Barister to visit me in Winston Green prison in Birmingham (UK). I was ( well frazzled by the whole thing ) upset.

We had a chat in a little room off the side of the visiting hall.

I was, at first, quite shy and couldn't offer much to the conversation so it was a duo with the solicitor and the QC ( queens council ).

Suddenly, The QC let loose the most shocking array of the most brilliantly illuminated vulgarity I've ever heard in my life.

We all locked eyes and quickly knew exactly what the order of issues would be in the forthcoming trial.

[ I might regret posting this ]

Hi, Norman

I can tell you that attorneys (which I am), judges (who were lawyers before going on the bench), prosecutors, etc. in general, have the foulest mouths around. It's an industry that is very conducive to swearing since everyone is always arguing and adversarial. From habit, we slip into a way of speaking that includes many swear words and they become part of our everyday discussions with each other. This is just a fact. As to your situation, I cannot think of many people I know or who I have represented who did not have "dirty laundry", myself included. Norman, we all have a "story".

Anchor
25th May 2011, 02:46
Swearing in jokes is my favorite...

Brian: Alright, I am the Messiah!
Crowd: He is! He is the Messiah!
Brian: Now, f**k off!
Crowd: ... but how shall we **** off, O Lord?

mosquito
25th May 2011, 03:39
If I was feeling mischievous, I would venture to say swearing is a fundamental part (in my humble opinion) of the good and correct use of the exciting English language in all it's splendor..

Abso-bloody-lutely !

I love swearing, it really allows me to vent and express myself. Having travelled a lot and learned all sorts of different languages (with varying degrees of success) I can say that I've come to love the colour and richness that swearing brings. I mean, in Spanish if you want someone to go away, all you can do is tell them to "go to the prostitute" (vaya a la puta) which is so lame compared to a good solid "f**k off". And "bollocks", what a brilliant word, just explodes off the tongue (a nice image comes to mind there !!).
The older of these words were considered perfectly normal everyday words until the good old Victorians came along with their prissy sensibilities.

Yes Arrowind, swearing is indeed a symptom in the homoeopathic repertory, as is just about everything else that a human can say, do or think. A good homoeopath does not interpret symptoms and signs as either positive or negative, they just are.

So 3 cheers for all those wonderful words which enrich our language !!

Jonfen
25th May 2011, 03:52
"profanity and obscenity entitle people who don't want unpleasant information to close their ears and eyes to you."
— Kurt Vonnegut (Hocus Pocus)

Also in that same book:

"I don't use profanity because your life and the lives of those around you may depend on your understanding what I tell you. OK? OK?"

As for me...language is a prison for the soul, use whatever.

ViralSpiral
25th May 2011, 07:13

or a gate to communicate...

once again, no consensus :D

I swear
I feel better
moving along...

Other than affecting the "body intelligence", how else does it harm?

Carmody
25th May 2011, 07:22
http://www.spiritproject.com/medicus/masaru_emoto/Masaru_Emoto_hado_water_foto_No_18liebe.jpg

ViralSpiral
25th May 2011, 07:25
http://www.spiritproject.com/medicus/masaru_emoto/Masaru_Emoto_hado_water_foto_No_18liebe.jpg

http://images3.cpcache.com/product/vd-valentine%27s-valentines/98919243v12_225x225_Front.jpg

John Parslow
25th May 2011, 07:30
Hello all

F**k that s**t, I hate f**kwits who f**kin swear all the f**kin time.

I am entirely in agreement with Lord Sid here, it is mostly unnecessary and causes offence to some; particularly the older generation so please use advisedly ...

Love to all (with no expletives). JP :cool:

toothpick
25th May 2011, 07:33
Great thread omni.
For about 25 years I have lived with, deteriorating disc desease, arthritis.
Anyway, it help breaks the cycle of chonic pain if I use a fair amount of swearing,
and some moaning and groaning also.
Can,t explan it but, when it is really bad, cussing some how seems to give me some relief.
My wife used to say, "do you find it necessary to be swearing like that all the time".
I tried to explain that it seemed to help for some reason. She would have none of it.
A few years later she hurt her back bad enough to be off work for a month.
Well, let me tell you, nobody ever had to but up with that much foul language, ever before.
The air in the house was litterally blue from the obcenities coming out of that woman.
She, apologised to me after a while.
I don,t think she had an choice.
Like most things, swearing in moderation is basically harmless.

toothpick

crosby
25th May 2011, 08:28

you are too effen funny.
regards, corson

i swear when i'm pissed off about something that affects myself or my family badly or when i'm in pain. i've cursed a few times here on avalon, but only because the post threw me over the edge. but the intention behind it was not directed at a member, only the nature of the post.

NancyV
25th May 2011, 08:29
I love cussing! My mother and father both cussed regularly and they both had genius IQ's, so it sure doesn't have anything to do with intelligence. In the late 60's and early 70's when I was in my hippie/peace/love stage we all used the F word several times in almost every sentence. So I got into the habit. It was awesome and we loved it!

Of course I know when it's inappropriate to cuss and I rarely do it in front of people I don't know unless it's to make a point or for shock value. Cussing also has come in very handy when dealing with certain negative spirits. I have done a bunch of cussing at spirits or evil demon type entities that I've run across at different times in my life. It can really help to build up the energy you're using to banish them. Sometimes it's a good tool to use negative energy (and words) against beings who fear negative energy.....at least it has worked for me.

I only cut back on using the "F" word when my 2 year old daughter started saying it a lot. We knew it wouldn't be a good habit for her to get into. Happily neither of my adult children swears much at all nowadays although they had so much exposure to my foul language that it's an effing miracle!

Nancy :)

Rainbowbrite
25th May 2011, 08:41
Interesting topic - My opinion is that, as others have said, that it's all about context and intention. I generally have no issue with anyone swearing at all - set and setting taken into account. Personally i don't swear huge amounts day to day, i see swearing as a colourful, rich and when used properly, humorous embellishment of a statement. So when i do let a few f/b/c-bombs rip people who know me find it really funny, but then that's my intention, so it's all good! (Although my eldest, 17, says to me when she hears me swear "Mum - you just killed a fairy" lol! Most disconcerting that - but a healthy and humorous reaction to me teaching her when she was little that words do have power, there is an effect of the words used, and that she had to learn to speak properly and devolp a full vocabulary before learning to use 'colourful metaphors' :) )

Personally i don't like it when it's used as a form of verbal punctuation, as then the impetus and shock value is lost and, to me, it becomes dull... But i don't find that offensive. I do think language can be limiting but it's also a sandbox to play in and part of our experience here so should be explored and enjoyed in the full richness it can be!

Brightest blessings - Rain

PixieDust
25th May 2011, 09:20
I've recently pondered this myself!

9eagle9 already made one of the thoughts i had (and said it better then i would have haha!) about the difference between swearing and cursing. I try not to swear because of power behind words and out of respect. Like the words the bible states not to use i try to keep away from, though I'm not successful often, i dont want to offend anyone that follows it. Just because i dont necissarily claim to be that religion doesnt mean i shouldn't respect people that do follow it and any religion even if my opionon of it is tainted.

as far as cursing goes i use the words as verbs or adjectives. I try not to direct words at people. for instance i hear a bit of bad news i'm gonna say "Man, thats bullisht." im not gonna be like "Wow, i am quite displeased." I think the curse words got a bad rep when someone who claimed to be a higher standing said they were vulgar. Like way back when for instance, nobels wouldn't use certain words to sound more elegant and to seperate them from the comon person who would use them in day to day life. Therefore the words became "bad". I dont see why hiearchy should change how we talk. Its just another way to seperate people from each other when we should all be united.

But i do try to respect strangers and kids and watch my mouth when im around them. I have a hard time not using the word sh*t around my kids and im pretty sure one of my girls (almost 2) has started saying it. which is actually what started my pondering on cussing. I was thinking why should i correct her why would it be such a bad thing if she learned to say it and used it. Then i thought about if/when they go to kindergarten (i havent decided if im going to send them to a public system yet) and the disruption they're already going to cause being who they are and being "different" then the other kids and figured it wouldnt be good if they had a mouth like mine on top of it.

those are just my thoughts :)

9eagle9
25th May 2011, 10:57
The belief that swearing affects your density somehow, paradoxically adds to that density like the rest of quadrillion-zillion belief systems we add to the repertoire daily, therefore rendering one even more denser, not lighter. That's how swearing harms.

or a gate to communicate...

once again, no consensus :D

I swear
I feel better
moving along...

Other than affecting the "body intelligence", how else does it harm?

wegge
25th May 2011, 11:28
In the movie about Paul the alien after Paul downloads all the knowledge (history, happenings in the universe etc.) into the girl she begins to swear in nearly every sentence. She tends to use it in a more aggressive way. Don´t know what to make of it.

9eagle9
25th May 2011, 11:30
I think everyone knows there is an emotional value or NOT attached to any word.

Having a friend that regularly greets my hugging me and screaming "you motha*ucking crazy b*tch" has a great deal more sincerity than some holy roller who babbles on insincerely about how unconditionally they love --which is just potty mouthing under the guise of saccharine words. As if they're words can cover up their obvious insincerity. They're liars. I prefer a swear to a lie actually.

Sweet language covers up a lot more inner lies than raw language that's for sure. Raw language is at least truthful.

I don't recall the last time I directed swearing at someone. Its more in the inanimate and the intangible. The effing school system, the effing car keys I can't find.

If you have every had this lack of emotion attached to swearing, ...like you watch some ding dong pull out in front of a you in traffic without looking and you think "silly bastard" there's no anger, or emotional attachment there. My daughter calls it being random. Random remarks. If you engage in immediate anger at the action and start swearing "You effing dumbass." there's a big difference. One's an idle observation of ding dong behavior and the other verges more on personal judgement.

HURRITT ENYETO
25th May 2011, 12:07
In the movie about Paul the alien after Paul downloads all the knowledge (history, happenings in the universe etc.) into the girl she begins to swear in nearly every sentence. She tends to use it in a more aggressive way. Don´t know what to make of it.

I think thats because she comes from an ultra religious family and has never sworn in her life because she believes she will go to hell.
After Paul (my name very cool) downloads knowledge to her she realizes there is no God and therefore no hell so she lets loose with the expletives after that. Quite profound that movie.

Anchor
25th May 2011, 12:37
Mmm, re-read my post #22, forgot something important - updated it but here is what I meant.

The energy of each word depends a lot on the context in which it is used, and the intent behind it.

Virilis
25th May 2011, 13:01
I'm curious how people here perceive swearing.

Farken LOVE it! :man_in_love:

I've met people whose creative use of profanity & all things vulgar bordered on sheer genius :)

ceetee9
25th May 2011, 16:28
Swearing is preformed by a mind that is not functioning correctly. The words do have power not only to the hearer but to the speaker. They seek out foulness instead of intelligent cogent conversation. Many are fixated on it. Is a mental fixation ever normal?

Arrowwind, I couldn't disagree with you more. It has been my experience that most of the people I know who do not swear have fairly rigid religious beliefs while most of those I know who do swear do not. This observation in no way confers a properly functioning or more intelligent mind on the part of the non-swearer and an improperly functioning or inferior mind on the part of the swearer; nor does it infer that the non-swearer is good and the swearer is bad. An argument can be made, however, that the difference between the two groups of people has more to do with their belief systems and social environments and/or upbringing.

I think it is also quite self-evident that words and symbols have no power in and of themselves and that it is the perceiver of the words and symbols who determines the power and efficacy of the communication and understanding. For example, if I was a physicist and you were not and I gave you a very cogent explanation of quantum mechanics complete with supporting mathematical equations (i.e., symbols) and you failed to understand, would you argue that the words and symbols conveyed a negative power or that I had an improperly functioning mind? I would hope not. They had no power (negative or positive) because they were meaningless to you. The same holds true when we both speak the same language. For example, let's assume we are friends and I said "you f@#*ing dumb@ss, what a ridiculous statement." You might consider the words an attack, or you might consider the words just my colorful way of saying 'I love you man, but come on you don't seriously believe that do you' (i.e., a friendly disagreement) as I intended the message to convey. The words are the same in both cases, but it is you, the receiver of the words, who decided, in the first case, that the words were negative and intended as an attack (by a now ex-friend who has an ill functioning mind and/or low IQ--no doubt), or, in the second case, that it was just your friend's way of expressing himself in his usual raunchy manner.

If when someone uses profanity around you and it conjures up images of 'rape, feces, anger, assault on God, or an insult to another's mother,' I contend that it is you who are imagining that. It may or may not have been the intent of the profaner, but to automatically assume that that was the intent simply because of the choice of words used says more about YOUR state of mind than the mind of the profaner.

Arguing whether the use of profanity is bad or good, is a symptom of an improperly functioning mind, or cannot convey an intelligent conversation is pointless since these arguments are purely subjective. For those of us who are less judgmental and can reason beyond the "foul" words, the profanity has little or no impact on us (unless, of course, it is clear the intent was an attack) and for those who are more judgmental and whose reasoning stops the moment they hear an offensive word, the profanity inhibits their ability to understand the message. It is for this reason that I choose to be more selective as to when and where I use profanity, as I generally want my message to be heard and understood.

However, I still find it extremely troubling that it is always those who get it that must change their ways so that those who don't get it aren't offended. I'm offended by those who are so judgmental and thin-skinned that I must walk on egg shells while in their presence so as not to make them "feel" uncomfortable or offended or view me in a negative light simply because of their intolerant beliefs. In my opinion, we could communicate much more effectively if we ALL focused more on what the message was saying rather than on the way it was said.

NancyV
25th May 2011, 17:38

Arrowwind, I couldn't disagree with you more. It has been my experience that most of the people I know who do not swear have fairly rigid religious beliefs while most of those I know who do swear do not. This observation in no way confers a properly functioning or more intelligent mind on the part of the non-swearer and an improperly functioning or inferior mind on the part of the swearer; nor does it infer that the non-swearer is good and the swearer is bad. An argument can be made, however, that the difference between the two groups of people has more to do with their belief systems and social environments and/or upbringing.

I think it is also quite self-evident that words and symbols have no power in and of themselves and that it is the perceiver of the words and symbols who determines the power and efficacy of the communication and understanding. For example, if I was a physicist and you were not and I gave you a very cogent explanation of quantum mechanics complete with supporting mathematical equations (i.e., symbols) and you failed to understand, would you argue that the words and symbols conveyed a negative power or that I had an improperly functioning mind? I would hope not. They had no power (negative or positive) because they were meaningless to you. The same holds true when we both speak the same language. For example, let's assume we are friends and I said "you f@#*ing dumb@ss, what a ridiculous statement." You might consider the words an attack, or you might consider the words just my colorful way of saying 'I love you man, but come on you don't seriously believe that do you' (i.e., a friendly disagreement) as I intended the message to convey. The words are the same in both cases, but it is you, the receiver of the words, who decided, in the first case, that the words were negative and intended as an attack (by a now ex-friend who has an ill functioning mind and/or low IQ--no doubt), or, in the second case, that it was just your friend's way of expressing himself in his usual raunchy manner.

If when someone uses profanity around you and it conjures up images of 'rape, feces, anger, assault on God, or an insult to another's mother,' I contend that it is you who are imagining that. It may or may not have been the intent of the profaner, but to automatically assume that that was the intent simply because of the choice of words used says more about YOUR state of mind than the mind of the profaner.

Arguing whether the use of profanity is bad or good, is a symptom of an improperly functioning mind, or cannot convey an intelligent conversation is pointless since these arguments are purely subjective. For those of us who are less judgmental and can reason beyond the "foul" words, the profanity has little or no impact on us (unless, of course, it is clear the intent was an attack) and for those who are more judgmental and whose reasoning stops the moment they hear an offensive word, the profanity inhibits their ability to understand the message. It is for this reason that I choose to be more selective as to when and where I use profanity, as I generally want my message to be heard and understood.

However, I still find it extremely troubling that it is always those who get it that must change their ways so that those who don't get it aren't offended. I'm offended by those who are so judgmental and thin-skinned that I must walk on egg shells while in their presence so as not to make them "feel" uncomfortable or offended or view me in a negative light simply because of their intolerant beliefs. In my opinion, we could communicate much more effectively if we ALL focused more on what the message was saying rather than on the way it was said.
I totally agree with you, ceetee! Very well stated! It is the perception of the receiver which determines the power of any word. In fact I would go so far as to say that one need not be affected by the word OR the intention of the sender if they choose to remain untouched. In both curses and blessings it is the intention, the belief of the one who curses or blesses that gives it power and almost always the belief of the receiver which allows the intention of the sender to affect them.

There are some whose intentions are so powerful that the energy they send can affect others at a distance. Most curses and blessings need the belief of the receiver to have an impact unless the sender is very focused and forceful. But if you can feel the energy that is being sent to you, you can still choose to not accept it. A few months ago I had a situation where I was being sent some powerful negative energy. It took me a few hours to realize that it wasn't me, I wasn't sick or depressed. It was an imposed energy or curse being sent TO me. At that point I began turning the energy around by refusing to accept it.

This is one reason why curses work in banishing negative spirits or beings, because they believe in the power of negative energy. The more beliefs we cling to, the more easily we are able to be manipulated and influenced. Being neutral, not caring, not being attached, rejecting fear... this is the true power position. It is a lifelong battle to ferret out your areas of weakness, acknowledge them and attempt to both gain control and let go of control, to care and not care at the same time. Being offended gives away our power. It gives another power over our emotions, our energy. Judgments of good and bad are irrelevant and counter productive. It's all about energy and intention and we each have total control over our own energy.

Nancy

9eagle9
25th May 2011, 17:44
You got it Ceetee, I''m thinking all this spiritual fluff fed down everyoen's throats makes them weaker not stronger. Because its fluff. Flimsy. Thin skinned. i know people who won't use a public bathroom without invoking a host of archangels. I'm pretty sure that this isn't what its supposed to be about. Spirituality is supposed to make you stronger. If a little swear word has people erupting I can't imagine what will occur if they were confronted with something with some real teeth.

dmarie
25th May 2011, 18:19
This reminds me of a dream I had this morning. My most memorable and most vivid dreams are just before I wake and this one was no exception. I was in a stark white room that belonged to this other woman...in this room words appeared as "posts" by those that she had spoken to verbally or read in an email, etc. She would bring the words to this room for several reasons....one being that she could view the words without all the disturbances going on around her so that she could see them clearly. Secondly, the words have energy as everything does, but by bringing them into this space their was no energy "ciphering" from either end. Much of what people say verbally or on forum or email, what have you, is to receive energy back and some are almost like black holes. I'm sure we all have experienced this before. Anyway, I did notice the small amount of energy that came off the words and in this space she able to accept that energy if she so desired in anyway she wanted (not as the other person had intended.) When words are used against us if we take it as it was intended by the user we can get hurt, but, if we see it as just words with nothing but the energy of a word not their intention there is nothing behind it....their intention has then been blocked and they have no power over us. They are just words. :)

I think this visual of the white room and bring in what others say to you can be helpful those that are having a difficult time seeing/hearing certain words and feeling the energy that they themselves are putting behind it and/or the user of those words.

I hope that made some sense LOL :)

And I thoroughly agree that I feel that people that are free with expressing themselves are so much more authentic of a being than someone who is always biting their tongue. Their energy runs freer and allows yours to do the same as you don't feel "their" restrictions.

I posted a Bill Maher clip on my FB page yesterday that may offend some, but I've come to the conclusion that if someone offends you then that is something you need to look at yourself...within you...it has nothing to do with me.

Lord Sidious
25th May 2011, 18:34
You f**kin nuggets still talking about this s**t?
F**k me, but I didn't think this s**t was that interesting. :p

Cjay
25th May 2011, 18:37
I think it depends on the context and whether the swearing is a personal attack on someone. Most of the time I don't care about swearing but it does irritate me when people swear constantly or seem incapable of comminicating without swearing.

Ecnal61
25th May 2011, 19:52
hi firstlook i just thouhgt id give you the english perspective on swearing, when we use the toilet we dont sh+t we have a poo and if you should stub your toe we would say"oh bother",likewise if a scoundrel were to steal your wallet you would rebuke him like this" i say you bounder give it back or i will be forced to call a bobby," personaly i never swear and i have green skin and a unicorns horn on my head.

Taurean
25th May 2011, 20:12
I'm sure President O'bama does not and would not resort to using such expletives.

Even when referring to the most difficult Head of Government.

shadowstalker
25th May 2011, 20:18
I guess it's all a matter of who says what for what reason.
I mean people think the word Hell is a cuss word, or the "P" or "D" word when all they are are body parts that no one wants to know about but use all the time. Shoot my daughters fave word when she was 5 was the "P" word thanks to a so called friend who let her watch From Dusk Till Dawn one night when I was out. she use to turn it into a song till I told her what it really was , then it wasn't her fave word anymore, LOL...

P.S.
1.)What is considered a cuss word these days anyway?
2.)Why do we consider them cuss words anyhow?
3.)What is considered to many cuss words in one sentence anyhow?
4.)Who's bright idea that these where considered cuss words anyhow?

Originally cuss words where words considered profanity against god.

Well then why is is Hell a cuss word if god supposedly created it to put bad people in?

My daughter's fave saying now is
"Penis, get your penis, right up the pooper..."
It makes me laugh all the time:cool: cus she says it in a tinie voice...LOL

Arrowwind
25th May 2011, 20:54
If you added IM(H)O I'd have no beef with this statement. But you appear to be stating it as fact. My mind has been functioning quite fine when swearing. I perceive the words as any other word. How can you make this claim without being in other's minds? I strongly disagree. Words are highly relative. It's not as simple as you put it IMHO

I make this assumption due to homoepathy as I have seen that constitutional treatment can alleviate people from chronic swearing.

On the other hand... many here aspire for ascension. Some follow masters, others seek god. I do not think, for example that Jesus would have gotten as far as he did if he was swearing all the time. How do you related the teachings of love if they are imbedded in cuss words?

If you are evolving why would you be attracted to words that project images of pain? Why would you project words that reflect pain or insult or filth to anyone at any time? even if the word were not projected at anyone particular?

The words do have power not only to the hearer but to the speaker. They seek out foulness instead of intelligent cogent conversation.
I think you are too caught up in your own version of reality to be honest. I do not seek foulness while swearing, nor do I perceive them as foul alone. This is your own subjective view on it. You state it as fact though, oddly enough... Maybe you just forgot to add "IMO"

Just how subjective is it when I take a cuss word and look it up in the dictonary and it tells me of its intrinsic nature, its meaning? this is subjective? On the contrary, I think you are desensitized to the meaning and power of words

Many are fixated on it. Is a mental fixation ever normal?

I think in 2011 humans here, mental fixations are "normal", yes. I am not fixated on it though. It's just a way of expressing myself. People like you are why I don't do it as much as I used to. Your perception treats it as foulness, and so I do not want you to view me as foul(erroneously). So I restrict my expression to suit your perception, as to better see who I am, and not be fooled by your own (potential)illusions of swearing

Just because many are fixated does not mean that it is normal or even healthy. People like me? you assume you know me well.

People will respond often times to the meaning of words... although granted, with swearing we have learned to be desentized to the meaning, for who wants to be hit with stuff like that all the tilme. Swearing is a form of abuse. Desentization is the method that people develop to deal with it.

[QUOTE=Omniverse;227410][QUOTE=Arrowwind;227397]In homeopathy swearing is a symptom that is taken into consideration for the selection of a constitutional remedy. If the correct remedy is selected the swearing will stop as the mind is no longer fixated on such negativity but has opened its channels to other avenues of communication.

Swearing isn't negative in my mental coding. Your mental coding is not universal....

My opinion is that your mental coding is disturbed.

I don't swear around old people, or very young people. I wouldn't judge them as "weak" for allowing swear words to affect them personally. Just wired differently.

They are weak in that they have not developed a defense mechinism. This form of weakness is not necessarily bad. I often wonder why it is that we have to live in a culture that drives us to develop defense mechinisms.....when things are painful we develop defense mechinisms. Blocking out and ignoring the meaning of things is a defense tactic.

With regard to my mother she would feel the impact of the intended and actual meaning of the word every single time. She never desensitized... and why should she? Many times a swear word is ment to convey exactly what is says. Desensitizing would lend to not perceiving reality exactly as some one it expressing it, therefor leaving you vulnerable when actual intent is negative.

Why would you honor and respect the young and the old by not swearing around them and all those in between must be subject to your swearing? Is there a magic age when they can endure swearing better? or are your peers less deserving some how?

Why induce images of rape, feces, anger, assault on god and insult to another's mother? what is it in ones mind that is drawn to such forms of communication?
I don't think of rape, feces, anger, assault, etc when swearing. And I wouldn't swear around your mother. I do it intuitively. Words hold the energy we apply to them. Swear words are not negative to me unless they are used negatively. As many have said, it depends on the context. One judgment does not fit all.

Judging by your post I bet you have judged people as not mentally sound, and foul, just by them using words you have judgmental views about. I think the problem is more likely to be in your perception, than them, to be quite honest. No offense intended. Just speaking my opinion, as you are.

Yes, we all have our opinions.

to me sh^t is sh^t no matter if it is projected with anger or not.
F...k is a sexual act performed without love.
son of a b^tch projects images of ....
A$$ hole is just that... and as far as I know the term always projects a negative.
The word rectum or anus does not project the same vibration and the intent is clearly different.

these words have meaning

An occasional cuss word cast out does not throw me off my center. Put I know a number of people where every conversation they have is filled with them.

My sister in law, who is a very creative and compassionate person swears continually. When she visited us when my mother was living with us it really wore on my mother.. and really, I didn't find it too pleasant either but I woul not have said anything but When my mother expressed to me that she was having a hard time coping with it I took it upon myself to discuss this with my sister in law... well. she didn't take it too well. She did stop cursing during her visit... but I don't think she ever forgave me. If I thought I would need her forgiveness I wouldn't have brought the issue up. I saw no reason that my mother should have to be plagued by her insensivitiy for the rest of the week. Personally I rather spend my time speaking with people who have larger vocabularies and seek a higher vibrational quality in all their communication.

I do not think that swearing means that you are a bad person. I do view it a a lack of consciousness in communicaiton and with an inability to commuicate coherently and creatively, in a vibration of love and acceptance, that projects positive vibrations even during adversity.

Arrowwind
25th May 2011, 21:14
[Yes Arrowind, swearing is indeed a symptom in the homoeopathic repertory, as is just about everything else that a human can say, do or think. A good homoeopath does not interpret symptoms and signs as either positive or negative, they just are.

So 3 cheers for all those wonderful words which enrich our language !!

yes, and it indicates and imbalance in the mental state. ... this is not the occassional cuss that is sometimes tossed about, but in those people who imbue every paragraph with a swear word. When the right remedy is selected and given the swearing vanishes... as the mental computer can access other avenuse of communication.

the power of words is in our mutal agreement to their meaning.

agreed. if I have a conversation with a nuculear physisist I would not be insulted even though I do not understand all the words as they are words I am not familiar with. To me they are just empty words until the concepts that they carry are integrated into my mind.

but curse words... we all know the meaning... and it has been collectively agreed upon and recorded. If you choose to use them then you knowingly accept the agreement and project that ideation into the world.
You could spend your time doing something else of better quality.

9eagle9
25th May 2011, 21:33
Ascension has more to do with letting go of the meanings of material world constructs (like swearing) than giving them further meaning no matter how much emphasis. More Matrix game world encording by division. This means this and this means that. The F word has a meaning, its an acronym. Its not even a word. You've assigned a different meaning to it and there for created a emo reaction to that made up meaning.

That's how it became a dirty word in the first place.

And this is how we stay in the game.

5hit is also acroynym. But people keep INSISTING it means something other than what it is to support their world view. And thats how we stay in the game. If you don't like swear words fine, but dont' attach anymore material world meaning to them than the already have. That just keeps YOU (not the swear users) in the game.

Is Shadowstalkers some mentally and energetically unbalanced child because she uses potty language. I highly doubt it. As soon as there is no reaction or 'meaning' given to the useage she'll get as bored with it as my daughter did.

Like anything swearing only has the meaning one puts on it.

At some point we may arrive in our evolution and find all language and how its been used has been a curse upon us as Jordan Maxwell is beginning to unveil for us.

Arrowwind
25th May 2011, 21:36
Thanks Omni,, for bringing this up. I guess there is a time and place for everything. I do not mind using swear words if it is in the appropriate context. Especially if it is a private conversation. Plus I try not to swear around children. As I grow older, I find that I am not swearing as much. I try to not get offended too much. Has anyone heard of OSHO? His flavor of teaching is right up my alley. Here is a short video that is right on topic. OSHO explains that when you take the word 'god' out of the everyday language and/or jargon, then it creates a vaccuum for other colorful words. I don't necessarily agree with him, but he makes a good case,,, funny too.

Yes, I love Bhagwan and this certainly was intertaining here as he generally is. He is a great communicator and I have read many of his books and listened to his lectures. I never saw that he put the work **** in print in one of his books and I don't recall it in his lectures either... except of course this humerous little piece.
It obviously was a word that he did not find much use for.

Arrowwind
25th May 2011, 21:45
Ascension has more to do with letting go of the meanings of material world constructs (like swearing) than giving them further meaning no matter how much emphasis. More Matrix game world encording by division. This means this and this means that. The F word has a meaning, its an acronym. Its not even a word. You've assigned a different meaning to it and there for created a emo reaction to that made up meaning.

5hit is also acroynym. But people keep INSISTING it means something other than what it is to support their world view. And thats how we stay in the game. If you don't like swear words fine, but dont' attach anymore material world meaning to them than the already have. That just keeps YOU (not the swear users) in the game.

Since when is 5hit an acronym? or F..k? there are recording definations for these words in dictonaries. they are agreed upon meanings by cultures... not acronyms

here is a defination of acronym.

acronym - definition of acronym by the Free Online Dictionary ... (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/acronym)
A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, ...

here is a defination of sh^t
**** | Define **** at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/****)
com\
Show Spelled [sh^t] Show IPA noun, verb, sh^t or shat, sh^t·ting, interjection Vulgar. –noun. 1. excrement; feces. 2. an act of defecating; ...

Acesnsion has to do with working energy and creating beauty around you in all that you are and all that you do...IMHO....that includes projecting beauty to the world... what ever world you may be in.

Sophie
25th May 2011, 21:47
I've been actually thinking about this lately because I'm trying to be a better, "enlightened" person but still I swear a lot. Does it have a negative effect on me? I don't know. Maybe if I was a more balanced person, I wouldn't have the need to swear so much. Then again, I would bore myself to death if I was always calm and collected and spoke elegant words. Maybe it's a personality issue and has nothing to do with your spiritual state. To me it's mostly a nasty habit. I don't wanna sound like a teenager so I try to reduce my swearing. ;) No offence to teenagers - most of them are smarter than adults.

Maia Gabrial
25th May 2011, 21:49
Hey Omniverse,
Years ago, someone told me that cuss words have low vibrations. So, by swearing at someone, you could be lowering their vibes.... I didn't cuss for the longest time after learning that. And I tried to look for more imaginative ways to express my emotions. I was doing real well until my son's friend came to live with us. Boy could those 2 cuss up a storm...! I learned one thing. Cussing just didn't feel right for me. Neither did it satisfy my anger when I tried to express it with a few choice words. But I limit myself, but that's the right thing for me.
I think if a person uses cuss words like a weapon with intentions of hurting someone, that that might be wrong. But people who are okay with it, what's the harm?

9eagle9
25th May 2011, 22:01
5HIT. An acronym posted way upthread as SHIP IN HIGH TRANSIT. It's shipping nomenclature no longer used.

F*CK. For unlawful carnal knowledge. Fornicate under kings rules. There is a great deal of debate if this is the actual source etymology of the word but....even if its not. More exploration of what words actually mean rather than the random assignments the ignorant put on them would let people know the English language is derived in part from Germanic languages.

Fokken, fukka both words mean to beget or copulate. Why are those such dirty words. Because people like to attach their own meaning to things.

Learn the etymology of words and they are suddenly not so scary.

Languages shift for that reason.

Creating beauty may mean Ascension to some but assigning filth unnecessarily is not creating beauty.

Since when is 5hit an acronym? or F..k? there are recording definations for these words in dictonaries. they are agreed upon meanings by cultures... not acronyms

here is a defination of acronym.

acronym - definition of acronym by the Free Online Dictionary ... (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/acronym)
A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, ...

here is a defination of sh^t
**** | Define **** at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/****)
com\
Show Spelled [sh^t] Show IPA noun, verb, sh^t or shat, sh^t·ting, interjection Vulgar. –noun. 1. excrement; feces. 2. an act of defecating; ...

Acesnsion has to do with working energy and creating beauty around you in all that you are and all that you do...IMHO....that includes projecting beauty to the world... what ever world you may be in.

9eagle9
25th May 2011, 22:11
I've been actually thinking about this lately because I'm trying to be a better, "enlightened" person but still I swear a lot. Does it have a negative effect on me? I don't know. Maybe if I was a more balanced person, I wouldn't have the need to swear so much. Then again, I would bore myself to death if I was always calm and collected and spoke elegant words. Maybe it's a personality issue and has nothing to do with your spiritual state. To me it's mostly a nasty habit. I don't wanna sound like a teenager so I try to reduce my swearing. ;) No offence to teenagers - most of them are smarter than adults.

Yeah how could it have something to do with spirit. If the spiritual vibration is that easily disturbed there's no point in having a 'better' part of ourselves. . Nothing can lower your vibration but you. Most of what people percieve of as vibrational anomalies are really emotional reactions. When I have emo reaction to something, anything said its up to me go inside and find what it is I'm reacting to.

If someone doing anything lowered my vibration I'd have a notion I have some work to do on myself somewhere and periodically that happens. There are various kinds of people I find off putting but I have a choice to avoid them, not change them. Or assign them as bad. Its not even their vibration its their emotional crud, and their accompanying behaviors. I choose to see the spirit but avoid their emo state and behaviors. That's their crud to work out. Doesn't have anything to do with me or my vibration.

pickle
25th May 2011, 22:23
So many bad occasions a swear word can be used for... to drive a point home maybe, and certainly to hurt someone that they are directed at..... but surely mature people can discern occasions where swear words and great timing can be incredibly funny - so as far as ascension is concerned, doesn't bringing laughter into people's lives count? Don't our higher selves/beings/guides know when there's love in our heart when we use words to colour-in a tale, to tell a good story?

Sheesh, I'm beginning to wonder if I won't ascend 'cos my youngest crys with laughter when he pulls my finger. Bollocks, I'll stay here, fart at will, and enjoy a harmless giggle, just give me a wave from 'up there' now and again will ya? :p

9eagle9
25th May 2011, 22:25
Mature people can, yes.

So many bad occasions a swear word can be used for... to drive a point home maybe, and certainly to hurt someone that they are directed at..... but surely mature people can discern occasions where swear words and great timing can be incredibly funny - so as far as ascension is concerned, doesn't bringing laughter into people's lives count? Don't our higher selves/beings/guides know when there's love in our heart when we use words to colour-in a tale, to tell a good story?

Sheesh, I'm beginning to wonder if I won't ascend 'cos my youngest crys with laughter when he pulls my finger. Bollocks, I'll stay here, fart at will, and enjoy a harmless giggle, just give me a wave from 'up there' now and again will ya? :p

Anchor
25th May 2011, 22:34
This thread has turned out fantastically and has nailed some key concepts.

Swearing appears to be confined to spoken or written material, and I wonder if there is an equivalent for when you are communicating telepathically - lol

When I think about the life cycle of a "word" from the original thought to your thought to the mechanic of speaking, listening, interpretation/filtering and the consequent "resonant" thought in the listener - there are a lot of places that distortion (in respect of the intended meaning) can set in

John..

Maia Gabrial
25th May 2011, 22:42
Damn! You're fracking hilarious, Lord Sidious!
Maia

Arrowwind
25th May 2011, 23:24
this comes from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****

f*** is an English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language) word that is generally considered profane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profanity) which, in its most literal meaning, refers to the act of sexual intercourse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_intercourse). However, by extension it may be used to negatively characterize anything that can be dismissed, disdained, defiled (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/defiled), or destroyed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demolition).

It seems to me that the meaning has largely swayed to "anything that can be dismissed, disdained, defiled or destroyed". Its a heavy connotation word. It is used frequently for shock value and it has long time been considered profane

the defination of profane:
Profane - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/profane)
to treat (something sacred) with abuse, irreverence, or contempt : desecrate. 2. : to debase

so this would mean that the work f... is a debased sexual intercourse, commited in contempt, or with abuse, irreverence for the sacred between two people... not with love.

so in using this word there are issues of abuse, irreverence or contempt against the sacred. All humanity holds sacredness.. why project profanities in into its energic field?

Look, I did not make these definations up... and these words have evolved past the acronym as 9eagle stated. Bet few people where were aware of those. These are culturally agreed upon definations. go to any dictionary. F...k goes far beyond sexual intercourse in its defination. If you choose to ignore the defination and make it into something else in your mind then you will still be subject to cultural critisim. Just becasue you perceive no damage, no negativity, does not mean that it is not there, it is only there in your desentized and uninformed mind.

Arrowwind
25th May 2011, 23:35
[
Yeah how could it have something to do with spirit. If the spiritual vibration is that easily disturbed there's no point in having a 'better' part of ourselves. . Nothing can lower your vibration but you. Most of what people percieve of as vibrational anomalies are really emotional reactions. When I have emo reaction to something, anything said its up to me go inside and find what it is I'm reacting to.

abuse, and repeated abuse lowers peoples vibrations. Aflicting pain upon those who have not developed strength, self esteem, confidence, any kind of personal power. there all kinds of ways to lower peoples vibrations. The better part of someone can be damaged in many cases.

We all within this human race are not all as enlightend as you nor contain your fortitude.

this is why kindness, generosity and compassion are virtues and are projected to all life.. .. to help humanity to rise... to assist the whole evolutionalry system to rise.

Maia Gabrial
26th May 2011, 00:01
Do people realize that the F-word can be used in so many ways? Noun, pronoun, verb, adjective, expressions of disappointment, frustration, excitement, anger, exclamation, etc.....
...all this from one acronym....
Maia

DeDukshyn
26th May 2011, 00:20
I love swearing! It's a ton of fun! The issue with swearing that humans have is actually their own erroneous programming ---> "This means this and that means that, and that means this therefore act like that, that means this and this means that, therefore react like this and not that" ... LOL!

Let's analyze the "swear" --> "some airwaves vibrating, caused by the larynx, and formed into a specific sound with the lips, mouth and tongue, that represents a word, that may or may not represent a meaning, that may or may not represent a feeling, depending on how it is used. It is up to the observer of this action to determine offense or not, therefore swearing is a sin of the offended, rather than the initiator of those vibrations. Humans! and their damn meanings and fake reasons to consistently make themselves a victim! Drives me crazy ...

9eagle9
26th May 2011, 00:21
I guess thats what one gets for making agreements.

baaaaaaa

DeDukshyn
26th May 2011, 00:30
I guess thats what one gets for making agreements.

baaaaaaa

One only really needs "Four Agreements" ... or was that "Five"? ... by don Miguel Ruiz ... ;)

Omni
26th May 2011, 01:16
If you added IM(H)O I'd have no beef with this statement. But you appear to be stating it as fact. My mind has been functioning quite fine when swearing. I perceive the words as any other word. How can you make this claim without being in other's minds? I strongly disagree. Words are highly relative. It's not as simple as you put it IMHO

I make this assumption due to homoepathy as I have seen that constitutional treatment can alleviate people from chronic swearing.

I didn't read my opinion on this. It's directly from experience. My mind was not flawed, causing it to swear... Words are just constructs used to convey the real meaning behind them IMO. And one person saying something can be quite the opposite as someone else saying the same words.

On the other hand... many here aspire for ascension. Some follow masters, others seek god. I do not think, for example that Jesus would have gotten as far as he did if he was swearing all the time. How do you related the teachings of love if they are imbedded in cuss words?

Only because people don't perceive swearing as holy IMHO. If I was making a website of writings(which I am), I wouldn't use swear words either...

If you are evolving why would you be attracted to words that project images of pain? Why would you project words that reflect pain or insult or filth to anyone at any time? even if the word were not projected at anyone particular?

They don't project images of pain to me unless it is said in pain. That's my whole point. You are limiting words to one result, when it's far more complicated than that IMO.

Just how subjective is it when I take a cuss word and look it up in the dictonary and it tells me of its intrinsic nature, its meaning? this is subjective? On the contrary, I think you are desensitized to the meaning and power of words

So now I'm desensitized to the meaning and power of words, because I don't have the same meaning and power in words as you do? I see a flaw there...

I perceive the words in different ways. I wouldn't term it desensitized. Just seeing them differently.

And yes it is subjective. Fu** can mean: *excitement*, just put a *ya* after it, lol. It's an extremely holographic word.

People like me? you assume you know me well.
The assumption is in you, not me. Yes, people like you, unless you lied in your post, I know what type of person you are concerning swear words in a general category. I made no insinuation on further knowing you. This is just your way of finding a flaw in it. In this case it's an illusory one.

People will respond often times to the meaning of words... although granted, with swearing we have learned to be desentized to the meaning, for who wants to be hit with stuff like that all the tilme. Swearing is a form of abuse. Desentization is the method that people develop to deal with it.

What you would term desensitized to it's meaning, I would term evolution of slang and language in society. We've grown to use swear words in many circumstances. You could accuse me of being desensitized, like you do. But I could accuse you of not adapting with mankind, and seeing new meanings in the words.

I wouldn't argue that at times. But I can still clearly see your own flaws as well. I already know my mind is infiltrated. If you are saying my mind is disturbed simply for using swear words, I think you are delusional in that regard as to what reality really is.

With regard to my mother she would feel the impact of the intended and actual meaning of the word every single time.
The meaning of words are relative to what we give them IMO.

She never desensitized... and why should she? Many times a swear word is ment to convey exactly what is says. Desensitizing would lend to not perceiving reality exactly as some one it expressing it, therefor leaving you vulnerable when actual intent is negative.

Ironic you would be speaking of perceiving exactly how one means it, when showing obvious fallacies(IMO) in your mind about how people mean it, by saying it's always what the definition says. Words are more living than any definition can say.

Why would you honor and respect the young and the old by not swearing around them and all those in between must be subject to your swearing? Is there a magic age when they can endure swearing better? or are your peers less deserving some how?

You are just showing your flaws to me with this post. At least that is what I see. The flaw here is thinking me saying I don't swear around old people or very young people, that I base swearing with other people who don't fit that is only based on their age. As I said I do it intuitively. If someone seems mentally naive and fragile in a certain way, I don't swear around them. If they are christian, I don't swear often for example(unless I know they aren't judgmental or affected by the words strongly).

It's just a way of expressing ones self. They are used on both negative and positive ways. It's quite relative. One size does not fit all.

it is only there in your desentized and uninformed mind.
lol. So people are uninformed for developing alternate meanings for words? Using words interchangably that can be? Give me a break :p

blufire
26th May 2011, 01:49
Well . . . . whenever I have used cuss words my two girls (23 and 25) laugh hysterically and loudly proclaim I’m not very good at it. :bs:

Is there such a thing as “Communication Arts” classes for creative and classical cussing???

Lord Sidious
26th May 2011, 02:44
Is there such a thing as “Communication Arts” classes for creative and classical cussing???

There is, it is called the australian army. :p

Carmody
26th May 2011, 02:46
English Teacher Bumper Sticker:

"Save the Adverb!"

Arrowwind
26th May 2011, 03:10

I didn't read my opinion on this. It's directly from experience. My mind was not flawed, causing it to swear... Words are just constructs used to convey the real meaning behind them IMO. And one person saying something can be quite the opposite as someone else saying the same words.

Only because people don't perceive swearing as holy IMHO. If I was making a website of writings(which I am), I wouldn't use swear words either...

They don't project images of pain to me unless it is said in pain. That's my whole point. You are limiting words to one result, when it's far more complicated than that IMO.

So now I'm desensitized to the meaning and power of words, because I don't have the same meaning and power in words as you do? I see a flaw there...

I perceive the words in different ways. I wouldn't term it desensitized. Just seeing them differently.

And yes it is subjective. Fu** can mean: *excitement*, just put a *ya* after it, lol. It's an extremely holographic word.

People like me? you assume you know me well.
The assumption is in you, not me. Yes, people like you, unless you lied in your post, I know what type of person you are concerning swear words in a general category. I made no insinuation on further knowing you. This is just your way of finding a flaw in it. In this case it's an illusory one.

What you would term desensitized to it's meaning, I would term evolution of slang and language in society. We've grown to use swear words in many circumstances. You could accuse me of being desensitized, like you do. But I could accuse you of not adapting with mankind, and seeing new meanings in the words.

I wouldn't argue that at times. But I can still clearly see your own flaws as well. I already know my mind is infiltrated. If you are saying my mind is disturbed simply for using swear words, I think you are delusional in that regard as to what reality really is.

With regard to my mother she would feel the impact of the intended and actual meaning of the word every single time.
The meaning of words are relative to what we give them IMO.

She never desensitized... and why should she? Many times a swear word is ment to convey exactly what is says. Desensitizing would lend to not perceiving reality exactly as some one it expressing it, therefor leaving you vulnerable when actual intent is negative.

Ironic you would be speaking of perceiving exactly how one means it, when showing obvious fallacies(IMO) in your mind about how people mean it, by saying it's always what the definition says. Words are more living than any definition can say.

You are just showing your flaws to me with this post. At least that is what I see. The flaw here is thinking me saying I don't swear around old people or very young people, that I base swearing with other people who don't fit that is only based on their age. As I said I do it intuitively. If someone seems mentally naive and fragile in a certain way, I don't swear around them. If they are christian, I don't swear often for example(unless I know they aren't judgmental or affected by the words strongly).

It's just a way of expressing ones self. They are used on both negative and positive ways. It's quite relative. One size does not fit all.

it is only there in your desentized and uninformed mind.
lol. So people are uninformed for developing alternate meanings for words? Using words interchangably that can be? Give me a break :p

well what can I possibly say. I am so full of flaws I will not bother with a rebuttal. absolutley nothing I say on this topic is right. so you go ahead and keep cursing and creating the life that you create. My opinion is irrelevant.

9eagle9
26th May 2011, 10:32
so you go ahead and keep cursing and creating the life that you create.

Which is verging on a curse itself..

You aren't flawed you are just attaching a negative value to something that other people choose to find meaningless, therefore remain untroubled by them. Meaningless doesn't mean irrelevant it means what it means. Something without meaning, good, bad, or indifferent.

This is what you are creating for yourself and no one else-- conflict. You've rendered yourself irrelevant. No one said you were irrelevant they just aren't in agreement with the contract you are forming.

And you've created this scenario that people are cursing up a storm and creating a horrible life for themselves in spite of the fact most people in this conversation state they don't swear that much, and ....what they create for themselves doesn't really concern you unless you choose to allow it to concern you.

Thats why we disagree about things, not to make agreements around that which is meaningful enough to have an agreement with.

Perfection isn't about being flawless its about being untroubled by our perceptions.

Newlyn
26th May 2011, 12:56
In my very humble opinion the english curses are a bit silly :P

If you compare them with the swedish that is all about hell and satan xD

Lord Sidious
26th May 2011, 12:59

Same as the norwegian then.
I wonder if danish is the same?

Spica
26th May 2011, 13:07
I don't swear, I don't drink and I don't smoke...... Oh F**k I'v left my cigarettes in the pub.

Fred Steeves
26th May 2011, 13:17
I personally think a little tastefully phrased potty mouth salted here and there is one way to add to life what Alan Watts called "the irreducible element of rascality".

Cheers,
Fred

9eagle9
26th May 2011, 18:23
To imply I'm creating some awful life is beyond belief. My life if I compare it to the typical citizen is much much better inspite of my potty life. Or maybe its that way BECAUSE of it?

I'm not grinding away in some 9-5 life, my financial life is good, no debt, health is excellent, no stress, no weight issues, no anxiety, no taxes, no authorities, no one telling me what to do. I get up when I want, watch the sunrise, piddle on the computer (ie; work) for a few hours, in between pidddles do some housework, see a client, feed the deer, then spend rest of the morning outside in the garden or yard or woods, hang out with the animals, go hiking, attend to some spiritual matters, take a nap, write, paint, go ride my horse or find some other activity to dick away the day with, hang out with the kidlet, piddle on the computer a few more hours in the evening, periodically have a cocktail on the back deck, rinse repeat. My daily life. What did I create that is so very horrible by muttering a few pissers under my breath?

The life that **** and **** created. I'll take it over any of the people who are merely existing out there.

Belle
26th May 2011, 19:02
This thread has reminded me of the Serenity Prayer...

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

IMO I can only change myself and no one else. If I choose to swear, it is my choice. If I choose not to swear, it is my choice. It is not my place to pass judgment on anyone else for what they do or don't do...that is their choice.

The harder one tries to impose their beliefs onto others or tries to convince others to accept their particular beliefs, the more division is created.

In the course of all I may face or confront in my lifetime, swearing seems minor to me. Creating division, on the other hand, garners more importance...jmho.

Arrowwind
26th May 2011, 20:18
so you go ahead and keep cursing and creating the life that you create.

Which is verging on a curse itself..

You aren't flawed you are just attaching a negative value to something that other people choose to find meaningless, therefore remain untroubled by them. Meaningless doesn't mean irrelevant it means what it means. Something without meaning, good, bad, or indifferent.

This is what you are creating for yourself and no one else-- conflict. You've rendered yourself irrelevant. No one said you were irrelevant they just aren't in agreement with the contract you are forming.

And you've created this scenario that people are cursing up a storm and creating a horrible life for themselves in spite of the fact most people in this conversation state they don't swear that much, and ....what they create for themselves doesn't really concern you unless you choose to allow it to concern you.

Thats why we disagree about things, not to make agreements around that which is meaningful enough to have an agreement with.

Perfection isn't about being flawless its about being untroubled by our perceptions.

Omniverse found many flaws in what I expressed. ... as per his repeated statement...so I will contemplate that I might be flawed.

I don't really care if you curse or not 9eagle9 or anyone else here. It is up to you. It is and will be part and parcel of the life you create... even if you consider it inconsequential. As I said I do not think cursing means you are bad.. I do think that it means that you are not projecting the best that is possible though. I am not troubled in the perception of cursing but I do feel that the cause of cursing is due to ill perceptions and bad feelings and possilby anger, hatred, resentment and pain within those who do curse.

When those emotions are projected into the world it can cause others to suffer who are not strong enough... and by the way,,, there are many many who are not strong enough.

I never said that I do not curse. If anyone assumed that that is merely their assumption... but I am very aware of every utterance, as well as the effects it creates... it is a learning process, getting out of it.

If one chooses not to go through what a I call this learning process for whatever reason, so be it. I certainly understand that for some it is a meaningless process to them. But you must understand that for many people it is not a meaningless process... and I now understand for those who do believe it has meaning that they are likely flawed according to the interpretation of many here.

My statement was not a curse towards you... it was support in doing just what it is that you do... since you are comfortable with it then by all means... do what you do

I take most seriously the insinutation that I cursed anyone, merely in the fact that it is not true and it puts a bad light upon my public reputation.

You seem to have the life you want so why change anything 9eagle9? I in fact encouraged you not to change anything and then you come back and insinutate that that was almost like a curse? Well good thing you are impenetratable to curses as it seems that you were likely perceiving one.... although I did not curse you....after all it is all in intent, right? I do not curse people. I just wish them well on whatever journey they are on... the journey in and of itself will bring to them all they need, and skirt them away from all they don't need.

Some here would like to prosecute me for believing that there are better ways to communicate, to express oneself and to develop ones internal terrain. If you do not feel that that is a potential reality though eliminating what is termed profane or cursing language than that is up to you. Only you are responsible for the reality you create is that not so?... and by the way this belief would disempower me from effectively cursing you or you to curse anyone to any true effect ... this is what I have been told here...

I have been told that only I am responsible for any bad feelings I might get when people around me curse....and only you are responsible for the bad feelings that you might get. It has absolutley nothing to do with the person spewing out this type of language or any type of curse..for those who do so they are untoucable, guiltless, and beyond reproach for any negative effect they might have upon someone else...this is what I have been told here.

Fortunately people who curse do not make me feel bad personally, but those who curse frequently, I can observe their own self imposed negativity and pain and frequently other reactions they may impose upon life that comes out of it... It is more rewarding to associate with people who project postive attitudes in life and who do not experience life that stimulates them in such a way to speak in a constant flow of expelatives.

I personally feel that we are co-creators of much of what we experience here, shared by our human journey of evolution.

Seems people really get upset when they get challenged that cursing might be reflection of needed growth. They are taking in like it might be an insult. I cannot not help that they would feel that way, after all they are responsibel for what they feel... but it is my opinion that it is a reflection of of some areas where their mind prefers to reside for some reason.... places that I commonly do not dwell in in my daily activity of life.

It kind of reminds me of the process of selecting art to hang on your wall. Some paintings elevate the spirit and touch your heart or your creative imaginings and bring it to new and exciting emotional responses, others drag you into feelings of confusion or darkness they are so ugly or contain elements that feel like hatred, fear or violence. They are not the type of paintings that I put on my wall. Art is emotion on canvas. Words are emotion in sound.... both are forms of communication....both spring from the well sourch within an individual

MMA_Fan
26th May 2011, 20:22

I'm sorry I have to strongly disagree with you there!

Not only do we britons have the obligatory F's S's and C words, but we also have a rather broad range of extra profanities to call upon in times of need.

Demick
Munter
Pleb
Spaz
Knacker
Waster
Bell-end
Ball-bag
Spacko...
the list goes on.

We excel at boxing, colonialism, coup de tat, footballer's affairs, reality talent contests, indie pop and swearing.

Calz
26th May 2011, 20:36

Yes and the bar has been set *damn* high:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMBZDwf9dok

Lord Sidious
26th May 2011, 21:47
I personally think a little tastefully phrased potty mouth salted here and there is one way to add to life what Alan Watts called "the irreducible element of rascality".

Cheers,
Fred

Fred, ya f**kin rascal s**tbird you. :p

Sierra
26th May 2011, 22:27
Great thread omni.
For about 25 years I have lived with, deteriorating disc desease, arthritis.
Anyway, it help breaks the cycle of chonic pain if I use a fair amount of swearing,
and some moaning and groaning also.
Can,t explan it but, when it is really bad, cussing some how seems to give me some relief.
My wife used to say, "do you find it necessary to be swearing like that all the time".
I tried to explain that it seemed to help for some reason. She would have none of it.
A few years later she hurt her back bad enough to be off work for a month.
Well, let me tell you, nobody ever had to but up with that much foul language, ever before.
The air in the house was litterally blue from the obcenities coming out of that woman.
She, apologised to me after a while.
I don,t think she had an choice.
Like most things, swearing in moderation is basically harmless.

toothpick

When my back first went out I could not believe how my sterling character vanished out the f--king window! Took me awhile to get my sh---y mouth under control again lol

Omni
26th May 2011, 23:00
Omniverse found many flaws in what I expressed. ... as per his repeated statement...so I will contemplate that I might be flawed.

Flaws in your words, not you as a person. "You are not your views, you just hold them."(IMHO)

In my observations on this planet tons of people have flaws in their interpretation of reality. Pretty much everyone... Some of it is subjective, but some can be seen as flaws in understanding everything(hard to understand "everything" clearly). I am not saying I am above flaws either. Potential flaws can be pointed out, and if you can't beat the logic of the points it may be worth changing a view over(for me anyway).

Davidallany
26th May 2011, 23:12
Swearing is a construct of the material world
And so are you, me and every Human being. Your logic is totally flawed, IMHO.

9eagle9
26th May 2011, 23:46

Duh. So your reasoning is to focus on the constructs and densities?

Your reasoning supports the building of more density. Because beliefs of this nature just create more internal and external resistance and crud.

But I have noticed that people's beleif systems are more dear to them than any sort of higher form expression.

Again perfection isn't about flawlessness its about not being troubled.

DeDukshyn
26th May 2011, 23:49

I have to completely disagree David, - human bodies and egos are of the material world - our consciousness (from which our physical steps down) originates from the ripple of the first cause - not even close to material.

9eagle9
27th May 2011, 00:12
Exactly That.

I have to completely disagree David, - human bodies and egos are of the material world - our consciousness (from which our physical steps down) originates from the ripple of the first cause - not even close to material.

Arrowwind
27th May 2011, 02:03

Flaws in your words, not you as a person. "You are not your views, you just hold them."(IMHO)

In my observations on this planet tons of people have flaws in their interpretation of reality. Pretty much everyone... Some of it is subjective, but some can be seen as flaws in understanding everything(hard to understand "everything" clearly). I am not saying I am above flaws either. Potential flaws can be pointed out, and if you can't beat the logic of the points it may be worth changing a view over(for me anyway).

My words are a reflection of my personhood, where I stand now in my evolution and experience. If it were not what is the point in talking to you, my mate, my children my self or god.

Davidallany
27th May 2011, 02:17
Without a physical body, what physical experiences would one have?

Flash
27th May 2011, 02:28

Wow, interesrting, French Canadian ones are all about religious tools, religion and sh...

For me, swearing means you really have enough, this is anyhow when I swear.

But thiking of it, may be you should not be on the passenger seat when I drive either, then it is at least every 8 minutes. :confused:

Thinking more about it, you sould not hear me when I am exhausted either.

Thinking more, I like releasing pain with a few swear.

But what I like most, is to swear as much as I want without the others not being aware of it, for example, I bet most of you would not react at all if I said`
Câlice,
Tabarnak
hijole, cabron, spanish curse can be colorful at times
maudite marde........

And the automatic censor in this forum will not pick them up!! :cool:

I could say they are compliments and still be relieved of tension, LOL;)

Davidallany
27th May 2011, 02:30
Double Duh.

But I have noticed that people's beleif systems are more dear to them than any sort of higher form expression.
What is a higher form expression, swearing?
You can remedy those who are troubled, but it's much harder to do remedy ignorance.

Flash
27th May 2011, 02:31

Duh. So your reasoning is to focus on the constructs and densities?

Your reasoning supports the building of more density. Because beliefs of this nature just create more internal and external resistance and crud.

Again perfection isn't about flawlessness its about not being troubled.

wow, you don't stop to amaze me. With one or two sentences you sum it up.

Seikou-Kishi
27th May 2011, 02:41
I think I'm the opposite, Flash, I like to say foreign words that look or sound like they are English swear words. I used to say the Japanese word "****e" (pronounced 'shteh'. The forum has asterisked it out, but I'm sure you can guess which English word it is spelt like lol) when I'd made a stupid mistake, and that evolved into "****e'ru"/"****e-iru") (which means 'doing') and now my brother uses it when he's done something wrong too lol.

I also convinced him the Japanese word for younger brother was baka (which means fool; younger brother is 'otōto'), so I'll smile at him and say "oh, baka, baka, baka!" lol

9eagle9
27th May 2011, 02:47
Swearing is of the material physical realm therefore meaningless to authentic spiritual expression. Spirit doesn't attach meanings to things like swearing , EGOS do.

Its a core value held over from Christianity like most of the material core values are.

The ego busily assigns values to what goes in and out of our mouth, swearing, prayer, what we are eating and drinking when THE SINGLE MOST OLDEST and MOST WELL KNOWN PRECEPT IN THE WORLD is that spirit cares not for things of the material world.

That is why there is so much division in the world, the ego posing as spirit and oh they all have their own opinon on things and get angry when others don't make agreement with them.

But spirit doesn't make these sorts of trivial judgements.

Its even harder to remedy density particularly when people create it every moment with things like this. Speaking to density is like speaking to a brick wall.

Its an attractive value people who play in their own density become dense and then attract even more dense values.

Double Duh.

What is a higher form expression, swearing?
You can remedy those who are troubled, but it's much harder to do remedy ignorance.

Seikou-Kishi
27th May 2011, 02:53
I agree 9eagles9; all language is an artefact of the physical plane, since language as we know it is a redundant means of communication for the telepathic. If all language is of the material world, swearing, which is a subset of language, has to be of the material world.

To use an illustration:
All dogs eat meat Labradors are a type of dog Therefore, labradors eat meat

This mirrors our argument:
All verbal communication is of the material world Swearing is a type of verbal communication Therefore, swearing is of the material world

Since our first premise in each argument is true, and the second premise delineates a subset of the former, the conclusion in both cases naturally follows.

DeDukshyn
27th May 2011, 03:05
Without a physical body, what physical experiences would one have?

Interesting question ... how does that relate? You lost me there.

Flash
27th May 2011, 03:07
A language lesson between French Canadian swears and English Canadian swears, from Bon Cop Bad Cop, a cop story about a murder commited at the border of both provinces, therefore a territoty fight.

A little fun between languages, and if you ever come in Quebec province, you will know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U72QVCgh_Q

YoungSoul
27th May 2011, 03:59
I believe that you can convey your message without swearing, what ever it may be, and without the swearing then even more people may listen to it.
But in case of frustration and aggression I believe that swearing might work to let off some steam.

Davidallany
27th May 2011, 04:35
But in case of frustration and aggression I believe that swearing might work to let off some steam.
Great, it's that simple. Now the problem is the letting go of the steam that causes the swearing. Now what if you cut the roots what is rising that steam. Happiness follows those who upon seeing a thought or a feeling as not beneficial, abandon it. Abiding in peace and love.

Davidallany
27th May 2011, 04:48
and get angry when others don't make agreement with them
Be at peace.

Its even harder to remedy density particularly when people create it every moment with things like this
May be, you are trying very hard, maybe you ought to relax your grip a bit. You can't win everyday ;)

Its an attractive value people who play in their own density
I think that you are mixed up, between the usage of the words Spirit, Ego and people. Take a deep breath. By density you mean vibrational level?

Davidallany
27th May 2011, 05:06
I think I have contributed enough here on this topic, ultimately it's your choice whatever you want to believe. May peace be the world.

Flash
27th May 2011, 05:34
I believe that you can convey your message without swearing, what ever it may be, and without the swearing then even more people may listen to it.

Yes, however, add up a bit latin blood (italians, French, Spanish) and the swears will be accompanied by much more gestures. Numbers of swear words may increase to, but.... hum.... Brits and Scots are hard to beat on this.

Anyhow, with the gestures, being listened to goes to the dumper.

9eagle9
27th May 2011, 11:50
This was a conversation until you made it a contest, which says more about you than it does me.

and get angry when others don't make agreement with them
Be at peace.

Its even harder to remedy density particularly when people create it every moment with things like this
May be, you are trying very hard, maybe you ought to relax your grip a bit. You can't win everyday ;)

Its an attractive value people who play in their own density
I think that you are mixed up, between the usage of the words Spirit, Ego and people. Take a deep breath. By density you mean vibrational level?

christian
27th May 2011, 11:55

I don't agree with him on all he says, not least because "to be f***ed" is passive and not intransitive...

Made me laugh though :)

Leprechaun
27th May 2011, 12:10
If you make a judgment on people that swear, look inwards first and ask yourself the question might others judge also aspects of my character that from my perspective deserve not their judgment. The point Im making here is that in judging others we are 1) judging ourselves and 2) Opening up ourselves as fair game for others to judge us.

My personal thoughts here (which in a sense are my bothers and sisters thoughts too) are that there are far more important areas we as individuas and as a collective should be diverting our energies to.

If you find it offensive to hear others swear, how much more offensive is it to be a member of a society that allows its own children to take up arms, to be transported to other sovereign lands there to blow the brains and let the blood of the men, women and children (our fellow human beings) run all over the sidewalks of some foreign sun-drenched land.
Or how offensive is it to permit or condone the use of cluster bombs, White phospjorus, depeted uranium on civillian popuations. Humanity allows this - Globally - but it doesnt fit with the control agenda that is fed to us on the news, on a daily basis. No instead we are fed a diet of diatribe - now thats offensive (*OK Rant nearlly over*)

SO next time you feel yourself judging another for the words that come out of their mouth, Stop and have a thought for the obscence that we allow to be perputated in our names, and on our behaves by those nameless, faceless individuals who steer our collective consciousness.

*OK rant over*

Cjay
27th May 2011, 17:26

Well said, Sid.

Aged about 17, I wrote the following (my states were altered at the time)... and I still have the piece of paper.

Oh sh*t, the world is f****d
And if ye choose not to f**k the world
Then you, yourself, will be f****d
By those mother-f***ing sons of bitches
Who f****d it up in the first place

Leprechaun
27th May 2011, 18:20
Feeling much calmer now:cool: