PDA

View Full Version : False idol(s)

Someoneson1
5th June 2011, 16:20
What is a false idol? when I first asked my higher self I found myself looking the definition up in the dictionary and found this;

1. person or thing that is worshiped 2. image representing a god
- Related Form    i·dol·ize- verb (used with object)
[Origin: 1200–50; ME < LL īdōlum < Gk eídōlon image, idol, deriv. of eǐdos shape, form]

Suddenly I understood (epiphany) any form I put before the truth (the way, the light) must be a false idol. Therefore I think it's safe to say that anything with a shadow is a idol. Be it a planet or an alien being, or a universe...

Reminding me of another quote "wide is the way to destruction, fine the line to salvation"

Teakai
6th June 2011, 00:54
Agree, Someoneson - which makes religion a false idol. Which is ironic. Religion gives you itself as a false idol while warning you against it.

king anthony
6th June 2011, 01:12
...I first asked my higher self I...

I say, this too is a false idol(s) (by common belief).

Teakai
6th June 2011, 01:23

I say, this too is a false idol(s)(by common belief).

I agree, K.A. The perception that the higher self is not the reality/truth of our beingness is the ego pespective giving it idol status.

johnf
6th June 2011, 02:00
The concept of what the source of being is is so fine, that words tend to put something in it's place.
I have found the best expression of what is is like by watching several of these Mooji videos, although I have my own experiences
of what i was before I made myself up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JeRhHZj9GY
But in one of those videos he stated that it is a beingness like space. Everything that can be experienced rises up in that space, and falls back into it.
In the meanwhile there are plenty of habits around that will make the memory of whatever was created persist. I think the main problem is putting the importance of anything we percieve above the original empty space.

9eagle9
6th June 2011, 02:09
Belief systems, SYSTEMS are false idols as well. People create all sorts of false idols around spirtuality. What to eat, what not to eat, whats good, whats bad. They serve to bolster the person's belief but do little else but cause more division.

Teakai
6th June 2011, 02:15
The concept of what the source of being is is so fine, that words tend to put something in it's place.
I have found the best expression of what is is like by watching several of these Mooji videos, although I have my own experiences
of what i was before I made myself up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JeRhHZj9GY
But in one of those videos he stated that it is a beingness like space. Everything that can be experienced rises up in that space, and falls back into it.
In the meanwhile there are plenty of habits around that will make the memory of whatever was created persist. I think the main problem is putting the importance of anything we percieve above the original empty space.

ooh, well said, John.

dmarie
6th June 2011, 02:23

I say, this too is a false idol(s)(by common belief).

I agree, K.A. The perception that the higher self is not the reality/truth of our beingness is the ego pespective giving it idol status.

The "Higher Self" is simply an aspect of ourselves. There are many different layers of self...when you understand they are all aspects of us there is no idolism.

johnf
6th June 2011, 02:26
Thanks Teakai, This subject has a very high priority for me. It is a tall order to live in this context, but I try to practice faith that this is what I came into being to do.

Teakai
6th June 2011, 02:56
The "Higher Self" is simply an aspect of ourselves. There are many different layers of self...when you understand they are all aspects of us there is no idolism.

Fundamentally - there is no aspects of self, only the illusion of it. So, if we see higher self as being an aspect of who we are and not the reality of who were are, then it is ego doing the perceiving - seeing itself as something other.

dmarie
6th June 2011, 02:58
Isn't "ego" just an aspect of ourself?

Teakai
6th June 2011, 03:13
Isn't "ego" just an aspect of ourself?

An illusory one. From higher mind there is no ego. It only exists from the perspective of the ego. From higher mind it is embraced into the whole.

Think of shining a flashlight right up close to a wall and thinking that circle of light is who you are (ego) - but as you move away from the wall the light (consciousness) expands and the edges of the light blur and have no definitive boundary. The small circle of light was only that because of where we were standing.

I get what someoneson was meaning, though - the answer to the question arose from the gap (empty space) that John mentioned.

Edit to add:
Just to say the terms higher mind and lower mind aren't at all indicative of a person's intelligence. It could be as easily called closer mind and farther mind. It's just a description about the perspective.