PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Tea?

MargueriteBee
3rd August 2011, 04:28
I decided I don't want to drink coffee with cream and sugar. So I need a substitute. Got any suggestions on tea that is naturally sweet so I don't need sugar or honey?

EileenCookies
3rd August 2011, 04:31
Ever try dandelion root tea? I do enjoy it myself. Pretty sweet by itself (for a root beverage). I don't necessarily like the other mixtures that have it in it too. Like with also chicory root. You, of course, can choose to try some stevia or truvia as a sweetner, which is what I do. Works great in all teas I have found (and breakfast porridge).

Corncrake
3rd August 2011, 07:34
Honeybush tea is naturally sweet - in fact too sweet for me as I haven't got a sweet tooth. I don't know if you have heard of Miracleberries http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7367548.stm but they can sweeten just about anything! According the attached article the FDA banned them in the 1970's because they would require too much research (hello? Aspartame?) but in reality the sugar industry was feeling threatened. I am sure you can order them or at least in tablet form over the internet though.

conk
3rd August 2011, 13:46
I just use a combination of white, green, and black teas, decaffiniated. I add Stevia or coconut flower sugar for a gentle sweetness. Drink about 4 big tumblers a day. Coconut flower sugar is very low on the glycemic index and actually has many nutrients. Very tasty as well.

DeBron
3rd August 2011, 13:54
Hibiscus is a good flower to stew and naturally lowers blood pressure so if you know anyone with high blood pressure that is a good tea for them. I also sweeten my drinks with agave which is derived from a plant and looks like honey. Or I just use honey

delfine
3rd August 2011, 15:42
If you like herbal teas, you can try Vata Tea from Maharishi Ayurveda. It contains licorice-root which is naturally sweet. (One of my favourites)

conk
3rd August 2011, 18:24
Hibiscus is a good flower to stew and naturally lowers blood pressure so if you know anyone with high blood pressure that is a good tea for them. I also sweeten my drinks with agave which is derived from a plant and looks like honey. Or I just use honey Watch out for agave. Google on how it's made. It's more marketing than healthful. Very much like HFCS. Sales are falling as people wake up to what it really is.

Tarka the Duck
3rd August 2011, 18:57
Maybe you would like fruit teas from companies such as Twinings (can you get their teas in th US?)? Pomegranate, Rose hip, raspberry, blackcurrant, ginger etc.

13th Warrior
3rd August 2011, 19:00
Rooibos Tea

ktlight
3rd August 2011, 19:16
I decided I don't want to drink coffee with cream and sugar. So I need a substitute. Got any suggestions on tea that is naturally sweet so I don't need sugar or honey?

Stevia. You will be amazed, though, how quickly you get used to no sugar or honey.

christian
3rd August 2011, 19:20
Stevia (http://www.naturalnews.com/stevia.html)
The taste was a little bit odd when I tried it the first time, but now I love it.

-edit:
Take a look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stevia-tablets-as-sold-in-Germany-September-2010.jpg
Amazing comment:

Stevia tablets as sold in health food stores in Germany (EU) in September 2010 (while Stevia is still technically "illegal"). Note the German description reads "Stevia is not a comestible [food] following current European Union regulations", while the French description simply says "Stevia" (which is legally sold as food in France).

The box was sold in the cosmetics / naturopathy section of the market and not near the sweeteners and sugars. The price was very high - 6,50€ (average boxes of sweetener tablets costs less than 1,-€). There were several kinds / varieties by several manufacturers sold, the other types were even more expensive (7,-€ to 11,-€). All of them were declared as "beauty articles", "bath additives" or "natural medicaments" (Stevia is legal in the EU as long it is sold as a medicament or cosmetic additive).

The fact that the packages and boxes were identical in appearance and usage to usual sweeteners (tablets, sugar like crystals or sweetener liquid) makes this entire farce especially ironic. Everybody is fully aware of the fact that the "ban" of Stevia is a nonsensical attempt of suppression, since it was safely consumed and used in the last several hundred years, plus it is legally, safely and widely sold, used and consumed in countries like Japan since 40 years (Coca Cola Japan is using Stevia as sweetener since eons of time, following the pressure by well informed and health conscious Japanese people, but we get the cheap+dangerous, cancer, Parkinson's disease and Morbus Crohn inducing aspartame).
Stevia is indeed virtually illegal in Germany, I tried some when a friend brought it from India.

Miller
3rd August 2011, 20:39
Kombucha .....

Dawn
3rd August 2011, 20:59
When your body is free of candida the sweet tooth leaves and you don't even wish for anything sweet to drink. Have you gone on a cleanse lately?

MargueriteBee
5th August 2011, 00:33
Thank you for all of your responses. I'm not adding any kind of sweeteners to save money and get rid of a sweet tooth. I've been addicted to sugar my whole life and I'm bored with it anyhow. I wrote down your suggestions and will try a few. Thanks.