PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Unsolved Mystery: D.B. Cooper

The One
4th August 2011, 07:08
I think this case is amazing

cGkhZ6D4gUY

D7S1F3K3rVI

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&sqi=2&ved=0CDkQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FD._B._C ooper&ei=SUU6TrDyN8WGhQflo9ySAg&usg=AFQjCNFdOhuN_8NBrswVo6cxVxjQPu503g&sig2=jItOoIODBwxee4amlULNtQ

Fred Steeves
4th August 2011, 09:46
Hi The One, I was doing a lot of skydiving at various places around Florida back in the 90's, and D.B. Cooper was/is somewhat of a legend in those circles. Apparantly jumping from a jet is no simple feat. I was fortunate enough to be able to hang out at a drop zone near Tampa with guys the likes of Army Golden Knights, Marine Recon, and such, because my instructor was a 20 something year veteran of special forces, rangers, pretty much everything. NOT a group to mess with.lol. Anyway, they were all in agreement that the guy probably either died instantly when leaving the plane, or really knew what he was doing and got away clean, barring some mishap upon landing, because if you don't exit an aircraft like that at those speeds just right, the wind velocity will just mangle you.

Just from my own experience I know that when sport jumpers are exiting an aircraft as small and slow as a little Cessna, the pilot still stalls the engine to go as slow as possible when it's time to get out. I can only imagine a 727!

Anyway, there's a slant on that cool old story from that perspective.

Cheers,
Fred

Unified Serenity
4th August 2011, 11:27
Nice info Fred. I've only jumped once and did not recall the stall at 14k feet. I love motorcycles and figured I give skydiving a shot as it seemed safer! LOL, well there was no big adrenalin rush, I was pretty much ho hum flying up, getting to the door tandem and jumping. Oh, I know it might be more thrilling to jump on my own and pull the cord myself, but it didn't do much for me. Now, the big swing type falling thing at Great Adventures that drops you 250 feet was a great thrill and worth the ten bucks. Anywhoo, I would agree that jumping from a jet going 400 or so mph would be very risky. I am going to watch the video and see how high up the jet was, cause if it was cruising at some 35k feet there is no way he made it imho. Let me go see what it says now.....

Unified Serenity
4th August 2011, 11:49
Hmmm, so he jumped from 10k feet at 200 mph from the back stairwell. Not that high of a jump, but the speed is up there. Not sure he's be ripped apart by it at all, my dad says I drive that fast on the autobahn, and it doesn't tear my hand up.... j/k but I do drive over 120. Not sure what our jump speed was, but our engine was not stalled to jump. My gut says he made it, got to a get away vehicle and/or boat and sailed off not to be heard from again. There's lots of places south of the border that 200k could set one up nicely in the 1970's.

Thanks for bringing this story back up.

Fred Steeves
4th August 2011, 13:35
Not sure what our jump speed was, but our engine was not stalled to jump.

Hi Serenity, small world. I would venture to say that if you have only one jump experience, you probably just didn't notice. I was several student jumps in before I even realized this was done. After all, when you're about to jump out of an airplane 2+ miles up for the first time, there's a lot more on one's mind than the whine of the engine.

Cheers,
Fred

Unified Serenity
7th August 2011, 17:29
Pfsbt Fred ;)

How dare you say my 1 jump does not make me an expert! I'll call out there and ask em if they stall at jump time. I wasn't on pins and needles or distracted. I did not sense a stall, but will find out. On a mission my friend!