PDA

View Full Version : Purpose, a timely reminder for me.

bilko
7th August 2011, 17:37
I posted this over on another forum last night but i think i'll share it here with you today as it seemed to help a few people.
-------------------------------------------
I was in the bathroom, you know...
Anyway, this year we have these weird flies. Small things that just flit around. They can't stand still, dancing around in circles, jumping to a safe place and then dancing again.

I don't mind them so much, they don't buzz like mozzies and rarely come close to me. So i was watching this fly flitting about whilst doing my thing and i started thinking. What is the purpose of that fly?

Then it hit me.I'm constantly asking what my purpose is, what is the meaning of life. Why should it be any different for the fly or any creation for that matter? I'm not saying we don't have a purpose, not yet. But just maybe, well maybe life is too short for purpose. maybe its more about experience.

Sometimes life is gone in the blink of an eye, where is the purpose in that?

Maybe we should just enjoy the dance.

-----------------------------------

My second post on that topic:

Thanks Silvergirl
Just met my house spider, he has been watching me through 8 eyes for a while now. Infact we have been keeping an eye on each other for the past hour and a half. Me whilst i was watching sopranos and him whilst he was hunting.

There was a time when i would have run squealing out of some primitive and forgotten terror. Now i see him as a friend and just as long as i don't find him sitting on my nose when i wake up i think we can cohabit this flat easily enough. Besides i could use the luck.

He got me thinking about perspective, a word that i think is under used nowadays. Lol, listen to me, i'm 40 and using words like 'nowadays'. I wonder what a spiders perspective of the world is? Does he see 8 Ians or is her brain so complex that she can form a single vision from 8 different eyes?

Perspective is a funny thing, it can turn catastrophe into opportunity or beauty into terror. We live our lives by perspective and yet so few of us recognize it.

We each are born with an innate sense of right and wrong, the blueprint from which freedom of choice comes. We have an experience through our own actions or inaction and label it good or bad according to the viewpoint we take or our perspective of it. Perspective is the unnamable force that drives our lives.

We perceive life.

Such a wonderful thing, such a beautiful thing, so perfect, so pure. We really are Gods.