PDA

View Full Version : The government wants everybody to have a computer

The One
9th August 2011, 12:47
Your thoughts on this

In the UK it seems the government wants everybody to have a computer. Even people claiming certain benefits can get one for free. The government announced that they would ramp up a scheme whereby they would offer free laptops, as well as free broadband access, to eligible low income families across the United Kingdom. Known as Home Access this £300,000,000 initiative had already been in existence since a pilot scheme tested its viability in February of 2009, but the terms have finally been settled upon and now as many as 270,000 families across the nation are eligible to apply for a government backed grant entitling them to a laptop and broadband access free of charge.

While an active member of the scheme, families will be able to keep possession of their awarded laptop, however should their financial situation change so that they no longer fall into the "low income" or "families on benefits" group, they will need to return it.

The broadband is offered for free for a period of only one year, after that it will be up to the individuals to pay their own way - which shouldn't be too big a stretch given the affordable broadband prices already in existence throughout the United Kingdom

Now the government will tell you that they want all children not to miss out if families are on a low income to have a computer as its important tool for learning.(Seems a good idea)

Personally i find it hard to believe I think it might have something to do with frequencies.

Does this go on in other parts of the world

Tailesin
9th August 2011, 13:17
I don't know about other part of the world I do know that when my sisters oldest started school about 3 or 4 years ago they had to get a computer and a Broadband connection. This was so the parents could download the child's (now both of them) homework.

I don't know if they would have been given one if they couldn't afford it (they could and they bugged me for hours about which to get - yeah I'm a geek), but maybe the broadband has something to do with your frequencies. I don't think the actual PC/Laptop would. There are too many nutters out there (like me) who build their own machines (I'd build my own laptop if I could afford to - yeah I've seen sites I just can't get the spec I like).

Interesting thought.

bitworm
9th August 2011, 14:29
Yeah, they do things like this in some of the cities in the US. Typically, the goal is to convert them into paying subscribers once the trial period is over. Part or all of the 'government funding' can often be traced back to the companies providing the free service.

sirac
9th August 2011, 14:50
Thank-u The One for this,
it would seem they want a new form of information government.

information resource well.

ridicules,burning brand is the orientation

RMorgan
9th August 2011, 15:02
IMHO, it has nothing to do with frequencies.

Computer is the new tv. Computers will be the new way of mass manipulation.

Remember that THEY have managed to put a TV inside almost every home in the world, and now, that TV is becoming obsolete, they will do the same with computers.

Do you actually believe that internet is a free territory? THEY can control the information flow on the internet. THEY can control which kind of information will reach certain groups of people. THEY can spy on people, real time, using social networks and forums like this.

The One
9th August 2011, 15:12

Remember that THEY have managed to put a TV inside almost every home in the world, and now, that TV is becoming obsolete, they will do the same with computers.

Do you actually believe that internet is a free territory? THEY can control the information flow on the internet. THEY can control which kind of information will reach certain groups of people. THEY can spy on people, real time, using social networks and forums like this.

Spot on my friend and thanks what you are saying makes complete sense

king anthony
9th August 2011, 16:14
Free computers? I wonder what graphic cards they will have (and how many), RAM, RAID configuration, CPU, OP… was there any mention of them including video games?

Sorry, but I felt inspired to post something “light”/humorous.

Marsila
9th August 2011, 16:38
computers are even better than tv's for them, because of look how much of ourselves and own ways of thinking and other personal information we put out there no matter how careful we are...computers are like an extended part of ourselves now.

KosmicKat
9th August 2011, 16:55
Much easier to control than a decalcified pineal gland!

divine_moments_of_truth
9th August 2011, 17:45
Companies are also pushing "cloud" services which store your information on external servers instead of your personal machine. This basically makes your information available to whatever company is providing it. Google, Microsoft, Apple etc. etc.

RMorgan
9th August 2011, 18:29
Companies are also pushing "cloud" services which store your information on external servers instead of your personal machine. This basically makes your information available to whatever company is providing it. Google, Microsoft, Apple etc. etc.

Yes, you are correct.

Also, when all our information will be on the cloud ( which is just a nice way tho say all our info will be cycling between THEIR servers), and we´ll not have any physical data storage device on our homes, they will have absolute control over our lives, because, whenever THEY decide to pull the "cloud plugs", all we´ll have is an useless computer interface, with no data.

That´s why I´m against cloud computing. I don´t see any advantage of using it, besides data portability and easy sharing. I´ll always make physical backups of my work and all important data.

It might sound paranoid, but my backup server is inside a faraday cage (old microwave).

By the way, if you imagine that ALL your e-mails are kept inside THEIR servers, all your phone calls can be recorded at any time, that your wireless connection can be used to track your exact position at any time, that your so loved iphone keeps tracks of you whenever you go...

Also, many many business depends directly on google´s ranking system...If google decides to pull you off, you´re broken. Right now, if your website suddenly disappears from google search, there´s nothing you can do. These guys are inaccessible.

Like almost everything, internet was created with good purpose, but THEY always manage to turn amazing inventions into mass manipulation weapons...

Tane Mahuta
9th August 2011, 22:37
All the computers in our home were networked, and I was running 2 backup servers, so I had 2 copies. I regularly re format(zero) the h/drives on all the computers

& re install the operating systems. I too wouldn't use the option of cloud storage(stuff that).

TM

Healthy Skeptic
9th August 2011, 23:40

While you are connected to the Internet 'THEY' can spy on you using your computer's Webcam and Mic.

RMorgan
10th August 2011, 00:34

While you are connected to the Internet 'THEY' can spy on you using your computer's Webcam and Mic.

Actually they can, but only if they insert a virus on your computer. Most of the times, it´s pretty hard to do that, because most webcams have light indicators telling if they are on or off. Mine have a blue LED light.

The same thing goes for the microphone. You can simply turn it off in the "control panel".

If you feel like doing so, you can cover your webcam with a piece of tape, or something like that.

Healthy Skeptic
10th August 2011, 01:09

Actually they can, but only if they insert a virus on your computer. Most of the times, it´s pretty hard to do that, because most webcams have light indicators telling if they are on or off. Mine have a blue LED light.

The same thing goes for the microphone. You can simply turn it off in the "control panel".

If you feel like doing so, you can cover your webcam with a piece of tape, or something like that.

Yes, provided you are 'alert' to what is happening on your computer.
I can also assure you that NO virus is necessary.
I'm an IT person with strong 'ethics' and 'morals' so I won't divulge how it is done except to say that we all use Web Browsers and
ALL Web Browsers have 'backdoors'.

Maia Gabrial
10th August 2011, 01:27
They've been doing this for alittle over 10 years, I think. You had to wonder why back then. Today, we know why....

RMorgan
10th August 2011, 17:08

Yes, provided you are 'alert' to what is happening on your computer.
I can also assure you that NO virus is necessary.
I'm an IT person with strong 'ethics' and 'morals' so I won't divulge how it is done except to say that we all use Web Browsers and
ALL Web Browsers have 'backdoors'.

Yes. I agree. A virus, a trojan, or a backdoor agent could do that.

I try to be aware of every single process that runs on my PC, but I must agree that most people are just regular PC users, and can´t do that.

Maybe, if you feel like doing so, you could start a topic to help regular PC users to protect themselves and prevent such events. What do you think?