PDA

View Full Version : Half of all fish caught in the North Sea are thrown back overboard dead...

Terra
17th August 2011, 17:19
Half of all fish caught in the North Sea
are thrown back overboard dead
thanks to EU laws!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2fZcmjbqpA

Help us stop this insane waste, please sign up and spread the word.

http://www.fishfight.net/

Thankyou :cool:

Maia Gabrial
17th August 2011, 17:34
Intentional.... It's not only a waste, but it shows a lack of regard for oceanic life....

phillipbbg
17th August 2011, 17:50
The problem is our whole food system is based on feeding certain animals to be used for human food.... it takes 6 kilos of sardines to make 1 kilo of salmon

It takes over 50kg of grain to make 1kg of Beef....etc Because of this industry lead thinking our wild fishing is controlled by polarised primitive thinkers who just look at one species for there data criteria ......
Forget the other 80 species that are caught and discarded whilst trying to catch the 1 species under licence... I believe being a fisherman must be one of the most soul destroying jobs there is....

Its like our thinking is diseased .......

Lord Sidious
18th August 2011, 00:18
When we realise that this system on earth right now is destructive and will eventually lead to the extinction of all life, we might care.
But in the meantime, here is american idol.

shadowstalker
18th August 2011, 00:22
Some other type of fish will eat the dead fish, don't worry about it, it is only waist to us humans, but to the other sea creatures it's a free meal

Lord Sidious
18th August 2011, 00:39
Some other type of fish will eat the dead fish, don't worry about it, it is only waist to us humans, but to the other sea creatures it's a free meal

That is true, they will eat them.
One thing you might not have thought of, is that these fish that are thrown back dead won't reproduce, thereby contributing to falling fish populations.

shadowstalker
18th August 2011, 01:14
Not much anyone can do about that, fish will die when caught in bulk to feed the human masses.

The rest goes back to the other fish and gaia, the only true way to stop the waist is to stop bulk fishing,.

I don't think anyone wants to do that.

And I don't see that happening to soon.

It's just another one of those realities not any of us can change without stopping the process altogether.

modwiz
18th August 2011, 01:58
If we all stopped eating fish, for awhile at least, we would get their attention. Then, consuming far less flesh, overall, would contribute greatly to ecological and emotional hygiene.

They are satisfying a market in the most cost efficient way which is devastating the ocean bottoms and all above them. As long as the market exists,( look in the mirror, is it you?) the behavior will continue.

Intellectually this is all very simple. Emotionally/spiritually it almost 'mission impossible'. It's a ****ing shame.

BTW. I have a problem with the intent of the video. It only finds the 'discarding' a problem. The huge nets scraping the ocean bottom into a desert is not an issue for the video creators. They only find problem with the 'discards' going to waste. Somebody probably has a huge business plan of uses for this 'bounty'.

Something smells 'fishy'. :suspicious:

Terra
18th August 2011, 05:51
Hi Modwiz,

The clip I posted is just meant to draw your attention to the campaign. Hugh had a television series to make us aware of the situation aired on Channel 4 over here, it goes into much greater depth in the full show. We have just seen the beginnings of the outcome on a new series aired just this last week where he is taking the fight to the EU and starting to get results in Parliament. You may find links on the website www.fishfight.net.

Whilst I see very valid points raised here I also see this as a small victory in common sense and a step to wider understandings and possible other arguements.
Something that video does not show above is how Hugh has been able to bring multiple large corporate companies to change the way they purchase tuna. Some have already publically commited to changing from large nets to pole and line, this is turn helps the reduction of harm to other species such as turtles, dolphins and sharks etc.

Best regards