PDA

View Full Version : forum hijacked???

Flash
20th August 2011, 23:55
Mods, Avallonians,

I have been writing posts today and it seems that some trigger words turn blue with links to ouside sites I did not want to direct to at all. I did not even ask for an outside link.

To make it disappear, I had to change the trigger words in my post, one of them being "work" it seems.

What I discovered:

Thread: Alternative female hygiene, post 1, the link goes to an advertising for Living Deal
Thread: Holocaust stories exposed, post 42, the link goes to Living Deal
Thread: Livestock guardian dogs, post 2, the link goes to CDI College
Thread: Gareth Icke, post 1, the link goes to Daily News 8
Thread: Gareth Icke, post 1, trigger word "tip" the link goes to Living Deal
Thread: Donations pour to help woman, post 1, trigger word "money" the link goes to Daily News 8

May be we should report such happenings on our posts to the mods so that they find out what is happening, and forgive posters for unintended links.

Thanks to all for your attention

Flash

Thread: Hugo Chavez post 1, money and Federal Reserve are triggers, link to Daily News 8
Thread: Preparing one's body, post 1, dring trigger word, link to Living Deal

There is no doubt, we have been hijacked, even this post has been with triggers words deal and college

norman
20th August 2011, 23:57
Yes I've been wondering what all these underlined link thingies are about too.

edit:

I'm not seeing any right now but when one appears I'll mention it.

I hadn't really twigged about this until now. I think I've been getting them for a few days. It's possible that I've seen them on other sites too so I'll recheck my own machine.

I'm using Firefox 3.6

I have Malwarebytes and SpybotSD but no old-school antivirus.

Flash
21st August 2011, 00:03
We should report the triggers so that Mods can find the originators or the hijacking. thanks

TigaHawk
21st August 2011, 00:07
Go here:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html

Download Spybot - Search and Destroy. Install, download updates, Immunise then Scan!

It is either one of the following

1) Spyware. Crap that you dont want that installs itself then proceedes to shove advertisements up you're nose at every chance it gets, in the process, slowing down you're pc. Dont worry that you have spyware tho - Its like Herpes (coldsores) - You get rid of them but they allways rear their ugly head when you least expect it nomatter how precautious you are.

2) PA signed a contract with an advertising company.

#1 is the most logical answer.

Lord Sidious
21st August 2011, 00:09
I can't see any links and I am using opera.

Flash
21st August 2011, 00:11
Thanks, I am doing this immediately

ThePythonicCow
21st August 2011, 00:11
I am not seeing that. I am pretty sure that this is not anything that the Forum server software is doing.

Yes, please report a few of those posts. Could you also be -very- specific as to which word(s) on the reported posts have become links, and provide the actual URL (link) that is at those word(s)?

If you have access to any other browser, or any other computer, see if you observe the same links on that other setup.

Marianne
21st August 2011, 00:12
I don't see links either. I'm on explorer but have security essentials to keep out the spyware and junk.

ThePythonicCow
21st August 2011, 00:14

1) Spyware. Crap that you dont want that installs itself then proceedes to shove advertisements up you're nose at every chance it gets, in the process, slowing down you're pc. Dont worry that you have spyware tho - Its like Herpes (coldsores) - You get rid of them but they allways rear their ugly head when you least expect it nomatter how precautious you are.

#2 did not happen. Only Ilie and I have access to the server software. We have installed no advertising linkage software, and we would be -very- unlikely to ever do so.

astrid
21st August 2011, 00:15
All fine here, but i'm on a mac, i don't usually have these sorts of issues........

Flash
21st August 2011, 00:17
link to Living Deal: trigger : living Deal http://www.livingdeal.com/users/jump
link to Daily News, trigger: College http://newschannel8online.com/Wealth/ca/?t202id=72174&t202kw=college

But I am scanning my computer, it may be on my end of things. I will let you know,.

TigaHawk
21st August 2011, 00:35
Glad to know Paul!! :)

It's definately spyware then. Give spybot a run then a reboot after it's finished cleaning up you're system and you should be advertisement-free once more :)

Flash
21st August 2011, 01:36
Scanned everything with AVG which was updated today. Few cookies found and 1 rootkit removed. Nothing else. I am still rerunning the spyware scan in case.

The words are still appearing

ex: thread: uprising people of the word, post 464, word trigger "currently" linking ot Daily News8 http://newschannel8online.com/Wealth/ca/?t202id=72174&t202kw=currently

It seems that all links are related to sites in or near Montreal, so if it is not me, I wonder how it works (my supplier is Bell Canada, would be surprising if they are hijacked).

Anything else you may suggest to deal with my computer. I would not want to contaminate others or my other computers.

Carmody
21st August 2011, 01:43

#2 did not happen. Only Ilie and I have access to the server software. We have installed no advertising linkage software, and we would be -very- unlikely to ever do so.

I could come to your house and pistol whip you into it, Paul.... but you'd likely change it back as soon as I left. :p

Flash and others:

i have not looked yet, but it could be the 'cut and paste' that some people are doing, and the extra links in the original article...are coming along for the ride. Not an impossible scenario, by a long shot.

bitworm
21st August 2011, 01:43
If you run a scan you'll probably find some things called browser helper objects (BHOs). In general, BHOs are OK if they come from a trusted source, but as you well know by now there are some that don't always have your best interests in mind. Sometimes you can just remove them (uninstall the plugin from your browser) and go about your business.

What you will want to watch for is, after removing it, that it doesn't reinstall itself. I've seen some that listen for this and give the signal to rename itself and re-install. Technically, it's not reinstalling itself because it was never totally removed, but if whatever you're using to scan/remove it doesn't get it all, you will need to research around for removal instructions that are specific to whatever adware you're dealing with.

EDIT: just read your recent post - it is a BHO and what it is doing is altering the content of webpages before they are displayed to you. Some variations are targeted toward doing this to google results, but either way, it is replacing certain words with links to ads (aka paid placements) that are geo-specific to your IP address.

Flash
21st August 2011, 01:52

I could come to your house and pistol whip you into it, Paul.... but you'd likely change it back as soon as I left. :p

Flash and others:

i have not looked yet, but it could be the 'cut and paste' that some people are doing, and the extra links in the original article...are coming along for the ride. Not an impossible scenario, by a long shot.

Thanks Carmody, but it is not the cut and paste. I posted brand new posts with no reply and it was happening.

Lord Sidious
21st August 2011, 02:03
Scanned everything with AVG which was updated today. Few cookies found and 1 rootkit removed. Nothing else. I am still rerunning the spyware scan in case.

The words are still appearing

ex: thread: uprising people of the word, post 464, word trigger "currently" linking ot Daily News8 http://newschannel8online.com/Wealth/ca/?t202id=72174&t202kw=currently

It seems that all links are related to sites in or near Montreal, so if it is not me, I wonder how it works (my supplier is Bell Canada, would be surprising if they are hijacked).

Anything else you may suggest to deal with my computer. I would not want to contaminate others or my other computers.

AVG is ok, but Avira rates very highly.
Have a look around at reviews, I made the swap a couple of years ago.

Flash
21st August 2011, 02:05
If you run a scan you'll probably find some things called browser helper objects (BHOs). In general, BHOs are OK if they come from a trusted source, but as you well know by now there are some that don't always have your best interests in mind. Sometimes you can just remove them (uninstall the plugin from your browser) and go about your business.

What you will want to watch for is, after removing it, that it doesn't reinstall itself. I've seen some that listen for this and give the signal to rename itself and re-install. Technically, it's not reinstalling itself because it was never totally removed, but if whatever you're using to scan/remove it doesn't get it all, you will need to research around for removal instructions that are specific to whatever adware you're dealing with.

EDIT: just read your recent post - it is a BHO and what it is doing is altering the content of webpages before they are displayed to you. Some variations are targeted toward doing this to google results, but either way, it is replacing certain words with links to ads (aka paid placements) that are geo-specific to your IP address.

you are surely right, but AVG doe not detect it. How do you go to remove it?

LS, I may try yours right away.

Thanks very much for all your advice, it is quite helpful because I am a real zero for computers.

Hervé
21st August 2011, 02:50
Comodo is pretty good too:

http://www.comodo.com/products/free-products.php

... especially for internet security.

For spywares cleanups:

http://www.superantispyware.com/

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

... better than Spybot S&D.

TigaHawk
21st August 2011, 03:05

Egads!! How could this be!?!? Will look into that one thanks :)

Unified Serenity
21st August 2011, 03:07
The one I can't get rid of is the darn google analytics and a redirect on my other pc. I have used AVG, malwarebytes, microsoft essentials, and even a program that is supposed to specifically get rid of the stupid redirects that originated from google. Google imho is lower than fleas, cockroaches and my ex husband on my all time dislike list.

Serenity

ps.... oh and chiggers

Hervé
21st August 2011, 03:14

Egads!! How could this be!?!? Will look into that one thanks :)

Run Spybot... then run Malwarebytes... then run Superantispyware (there's a free version)... and you'll be up for a few surprises... each have their own specialties.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

The one I can't get rid of is the darn google analytics and a redirect on my other pc. I have used AVG, malwarebytes, microsoft essentials, and even a program that is supposed to specifically get rid of the stupid redirects that originated from google. Google imho is lower than fleas, cockroaches and my ex husband on my all time dislike list.

Serenity

ps.... oh and chiggers

Get rid of these wonderful added "Toolbars" ... see if anything changes?

bitworm
21st August 2011, 03:25

you are surely right, but AVG doe not detect it. How do you go to remove it?

LS, I may try yours right away.

Thanks very much for all your advice, it is quite helpful because I am a real zero for computers.

You will want to identify exactly what it is (names of the executables) so you can get more specific removal instructions.

It's not unusual for some scanners to miss it while others catch it. It is a good idea to use several different scanners, but there is a problem in that you don't want all of these antivirus/anti-spyware programs installed at the same time- often one will interfere with the other and your machine will suffer because of the resources used by these programs. If you are trying a new one, you can either uninstall the old one, or disable it.

Check out this program hijackthis : http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/
It does an exhaustive scan of your browser and provides you with a logfile. It does not run anything in the background, it simply scans on demand. After the scan, it gives you the option to manually remove anything on the list, but DON'T remove anything unless you know what you are doing. It displays known 'good' items alongside the possibly questionable ones. Whatever is causing your problems will be on this list. Generate a logfile and show it to someone you trust who has knowledge of these things and they will tell you what to remove.

Here's another scanner that will remotely scan your system : http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/
The free version won't fix anything, but it will tell you what it found.

These type of adware/spyware are successful because they exploit the browsing habits of inexperienced users, so a bit of prevention goes a long way. The majority of these programs are actually installed willingly by the user in that the user does try to install 'something,' though that something is likely not what the user thinks it is. Anyway, I often use a sandbox when running programs downloaded from the internet that may be questionable.

Sandboxie is here : http://www.sandboxie.com/
They do a better job explaining it than I could.

loveandgratitude
21st August 2011, 04:17
HELP.........my computer is under direct attack, even as we speak. It has taken 1 hour to get this message written. Every time I try to write something my pages just disappears and crashes. I have now been able to post anything more in the Holocaust thread.

Ever since the Murdoch threads, i received two viruses within 5 minutes. Now after the holocaust thread i am under constant attack.

MS Security essentials is picking them up. When i turn my computer on, my firwalls are turned off. Microsoft Security is turned off, my Avg is turned off.

This is a list of the virus I have got over the last 24 hours. I am hurrying so I do not get bumped off again.

Adware - low Level
Java/Cve 2010-840BE Severe
Java/CVE 2008 5353 XY Severe
Java/CVE 2009 3867 MZ Severe
Trojan Java Rowindal A Severe
Exploit JawalCVE 2010 - 0840AA Severe
Virus JS SDed/Dec.A Severe
Trojanhorse BHO.RZY
THGeneric20.CNQP

I had an IT friend look and he said that he found an IP address from Israel.

Could we have Mossad hacking our computers. An insider perhaps.

My friend said that they would have to have my IP address to access my computer and shut down my firewall. This happens every time I turn my computer on. Any suggestions.

Lord Sidious
21st August 2011, 04:25
HELP.........my computer is under direct attack, even as we speak. It has taken 1 hour to get this message written. Every time I try to write something my pages just disappears and crashes. I have now been able to post anything more in the Holocaust thread.

Ever since the Murdoch threads, i received two viruses within 5 minutes. Now after the holocaust thread i am under constant attack.

MS Security essentials is picking them up. When i turn my computer on, my firwalls are turned off. Microsoft Security is turned off, my Avg is turned off.

This is a list of the virus I have got over the last 24 hours. I am hurrying so I do not get bumped off again.

Adware - low Level
Trojanhorse BHO.RZY
THGeneric20.CNQP

My friend said that they would have to have my IP address to access my computer and shut down my firewall. This happens every time I turn my computer on. Any suggestions.

Not that you can see this at the moment maybe, but it sounds like you have a trojan on your pc.
The police often put one on when they search your pc and it disables your security and the warnings as well.
They can also look on the pc and see what you are doing in real time.

bennycog
21st August 2011, 04:32

and it pleasures me to hear that pauly... cheers

Flash
21st August 2011, 04:32
up to now, Avira caught one advert spyware that AVG had not caught, 18 more viruses and 12 hidden stuff. And it is still running. My lesson, I am switching.

Thanks Amzer, I will check with your antispyware as well. I bet I will find more.

And thanks bitworm, I will use your advise as well.

And I bet my daughter computer is worst than mine. Little cliean up tomorrow. As well as my other work computer.

Finally it was a good thing overall that this happened, it is cleaning up the house of horrors. But all that thanks to my good Avalonians friends, otherwise you would have had me panicking.

Many thanks, I will keep you posted again.

If it is still going wrong, I will let you know before panicking.

Have a good night all of you.

Hervé
21st August 2011, 04:33

[...]

... This happens every time I turn my computer on. Any suggestions.

Download and try this one. You might want to download it from another computer then transfer to your computer.

http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php

However, you might want to download from another computer and use this one first:
http://www.comodo.com/business-security/network-protection/cleaning_essentials.php

It would be better to run it from a CD rather than a USB key but if that's not possible ensure it runs from a "Read only" file.

Lord Sidious
21st August 2011, 04:35
up to now, Avira caught one advert spyware that AVG had not caught, 18 more viruses and 12 hidden stuff. And it is still running. My lesson, I am switching.

Thanks Amzer, I will check with your antispyware as well. I bet I will find more.

And thanks bitworm, I will use your advise as well.

And I bet my daughter computer is worst than mine. Little cliean up tomorrow. As well as my other work computer.

Finally it was a good thing overall that this happened, it is cleaning up the house of horrors. But all that thanks to my good Avalonians friends, otherwise you would have had me panicking.

Many thanks, I will keep you posted again.

If it is still going wrong, I will let you know before panicking.

Have a good night all of you.

Thanks for that feedback, I read the reviews and I thought it was better.
I appreciate the feedback.

ThePythonicCow
21st August 2011, 04:51
I could come to your house and pistol whip you into it, Paul
Er - eh - like I said - *very* unlikely :P

jackovesk
21st August 2011, 04:56

Adware - low Level
Trojanhorse BHO.RZY
THGeneric20.CNQP

Hi Loveandgratitude,

You need look any further than your friends from the :israel: Govt..!

Looks like the problem Virus/Trojan/Spyware is sitting within Java...

You need to somehow clean your entire machine and change your IP Address (Sooner Rather than Later)

Here is a Free Version of CCleaner I use...

http://static.piriform.com/pf/v2/feature_screen_cc3.jpg

CCleaner
Optimization and Cleaning
Features
CCleaner is our system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less than a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware!

Cleans the following:

Internet Explorer
Temporary files, history, cookies, Autocomplete form history, index.dat files.

Firefox
Temporary files, history, cookies, download history, form history.

Google Chrome
Temporary files, history, cookies, download history, form history.

Opera
Temporary files, history, cookies, download history.

Safari
Temporary files, history, cookies, form history.

Other Supported Browsers
K-Meleon, Rockmelt, Flock, Google Chrome Canary, Chromium, SeaMonkey, Chrome Plus, SRWare Iron, Pale Moon, Phoenix, Netscape Navigator, Avant and Maxthon.

Windows
Recycle Bin, Recent Documents, Temporary files, Log files, Clipboard, DNS Cache, Error Reporting, Memory Dumps, Jump Lists.

Registry Cleaner
Advanced features to remove unused and old entries, including File Extensions, ActiveX Controls, ClassIDs, ProgIDs, Uninstallers, Shared DLLs, Fonts, Help Files, Application Paths, Icons, Invalid Shortcuts and more...

Third-party applications
Removes temp files and recent file lists (MRUs) from many apps including Windows Media Player, eMule, Google Toolbar, Microsoft Office, Nero, Adobe Acrobat, WinRAR, WinAce, WinZip and many more...

100% Spyware FREE
This software does NOT contain any Spyware, Adware or Viruses.

Download Link Here...

http://www.piriform.com/

Hervé
21st August 2011, 05:03
Hi Loveandgratitude,

You need to somehow clean your entire machine and change your IP Address (Sooner Rather than Later)

My problem with CCleaner is that it wipes out everything I need and nothing of what I don't...

Sidney
21st August 2011, 05:15
I have been trying to post this video in a thread of its own, and the server wont let me, saying my message is too short. Even though I posted more that 10 characters.

ok, this is an edit., my link will not post here. hmm

and, part of my message was censored out, which said PARTICLE BEAM ON ISS

TigaHawk
21st August 2011, 05:17

Adware - low Level
Trojanhorse BHO.RZY
THGeneric20.CNQP

You're on Cable or ASDL i assume?

Call you're internet provider. Tell them you're current predicament - or just say "You're getting attacked from a PC located in Israel" - and DEMAND - they give you a new ip address.

That means the number whomever is causing you this trouble wont have you're address anymore. It will have changed.

Since there are trojans and virus's on you're PC tho - I'd unplug you're PC from the internet tho. While its' got those Trojans on it - the second it connects to the internet again it will tell whomever has been causing you these problem's you're new address.

Have you're IT mate clean up the pc for you, or ir someone here could give you a hand in that department it would be great. If i get a virus i pretty much put my harddrives thru the reformat washing machine.

After you've cleaned up the PC - and called you're ISP and recieved a new IP address - You should be ok to jump back online

Sidney
21st August 2011, 05:17
WTF is going on????????????????????????????????????????????

Hervé
21st August 2011, 05:21
[...]
... If i get a virus i pretty much put my harddrives thru the reformat washing machine.
[...]

I would include any USB key as well...

jackovesk
21st August 2011, 05:59
Hi Loveandgratitude,

My problem with CCleaner is that it wipes out everything I need and nothing of what I don't...

Not if you set it correctly,

'Through Trial & Error' here are the settings I use for Internet Explorer...

Hervé
21st August 2011, 06:09
Not if you set it correctly,

'Through Trial & Error' here are the settings I use for Internet Explorer...

Thanks, that looks better than the version I tried!

bitworm
21st August 2011, 06:23
How to change your IP if you have cable/dsl:

This usually works if you have residential service, if it's a business line, you may possibly have been assigned a static IP and can only get a new one from your provider.
Do it when you are done for the day / don't need it for a few hours.

- Go ahead and shut down your PCs (not necessary, but in the interest of being thorough...)
- Shut down any routers/switches you have between the modem and your machines.
- Shut down the cable/dsl modem, unplug the power source and the coax/phone line from it.
- wait...
- plug everything back in and get back to work

How long to wait may vary. It depends on several things. Back when I had residential, it ranged from 30 minutes to 6 hours. Here's a brief explanation what happens:

Your cable/dsl modem, and all other networking equipment has something called a MAC address which is 'burned in' at the hardware level, though it's possible to change this and get a new IP immediately, it may mess up your hardware or internet service if you do it wrong. When you sign up for internet service, your provider usually sends you a modem. When they go to set up your account, they will get the MAC address of the modem and put it on one of their client lists (AKA provisioning your equipment) for whatever service tier you signed up for.

So when you turn it on, it communicates with their equipment on the other end of the line, and gives its MAC, their equipment gives your modem an IP address from their list of unused ones. Now you are (essentially) online. Every xxxx seconds, your modem will contact the ISP and ask to keep this same IP for another xxxx seconds. Their server generally agrees on the condition that your modem come back and do the same thing in another xxxx seconds. This is what they call the lease time, which can vary from one setup to another.

So if your modem goes down for a few minutes, but comes back online within the lease time, no harm no foul. The server treats you as if you had never left. But if you stay down long enough and fail to renew your lease, it is up to their server what to do. And this depends completely on how many other clients are connecting to the server. See, the server would like to have you keep the same IP, but if someone else comes along and needs one, it usually will give it your old one.

And when you come back on, it knows your MAC and will try to give you your old IP, but if it is in use by another client, then it will give you another.

Flash
22nd August 2011, 00:22
I would like to tell you all how I proceeded to get rid of everything:

Used AVG antivirus, got some out as well as a rootkit, still had problems
God, thanks to LS, Avira software, got rid of many more viruses and an advertising spyware, problems mostly solved
Uninstalled all, all of them. the toolbars on my computer (not only temporary, but permanently)
Used CCleaner, thanks Jacovesk - I looked at the file that would be deleted, to make sure nothing I want to keep would be effected, and kept the office 2007 files because too much of my work would have been gone
Used Malware bytes and again one more problem found to be deleted.

Finally everything is running well and fast -- MANY MANY thanks to all of you, I could not have done it without your help.

I also took a copy of all your instruction for future help in case.

Thanks again

Flash

ThePythonicCow
22nd August 2011, 00:44
I would like to tell you all how I proceeded to get rid of everything:
Good work Flash, and thanks for the follow up explanation.

Billy
22nd August 2011, 00:55
Mods, Avallonians,

I have been writing posts today and it seems that some trigger words turn blue with links to ouside sites I did not want to direct to at all. I did not even ask for an outside link.

To make it disappear, I had to change the trigger words in my post, one of them being "work" it seems.

What I discovered:

Thread: Alternative female hygiene, post 1, the link goes to an advertising for Living Deal
Thread: Holocaust stories exposed, post 42, the link goes to Living Deal
Thread: Livestock guardian dogs, post 2, the link goes to CDI College
Thread: Gareth Icke, post 1, the link goes to Daily News 8
Thread: Gareth Icke, post 1, trigger word "tip" the link goes to Living Deal
Thread: Donations pour to help woman, post 1, trigger word "money" the link goes to Daily News 8

May be we should report such happenings on our posts to the mods so that they find out what is happening, and forgive posters for unintended links.

Thanks to all for your attention

Flash

Thread: Hugo Chavez post 1, money and Federal Reserve are triggers, link to Daily News 8
Thread: Preparing one's body, post 1, dring trigger word, link to Living Deal

There is no doubt, we have been hijacked, even this post has been with triggers words deal and college

This has been happening to me also this last few days and it seems only on this forum so far., High lighted words sometimes appear that are links, but not all the time. I thought it was just at my end, glad you brought this up Flash.

norman
28th August 2011, 01:19
I've now fixed the problem at my end.

However,

Malwarebytes failed to fix it,
Spybot Search and Destroy failed to fix it,
Superantispyware failed to fix it,
Avira Antivirus failed to fix it.

I eventually saved a lot of stuff onto an external hard drive and deleted the whole partition and started from scratch with a complete reinstall of everything.

It's gone now.

WhiteFeather
28th August 2011, 01:36
Your PC may have a virus. If your running windows, see if you can do a sytem restore if possible. This just may solve your problem.