PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Light 'Under Stricken Red Arrows Jet'

The One
25th August 2011, 10:49
A photograph apparently showing a mystery bright light underneath a Red Arrows jet before a deadly crash has been passed to the investigation team

The picture was reportedly taken around 30 seconds before an aircraft, flown by Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging, plunged to the ground near Bournemouth Airport.

Dorset Police said the 33-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene.

The pilot had apparently steered the plane - Red 4 - away from homes in a nearby village.

The image shows a light at a jet's rear after the Royal Air Force's world famous acrobatic team completed a display in Bournemouth, Dorset, last Saturday.

The picture was taken by photographer and military aviation enthusiast, Ryan Money, 25, who claims he has taken about 1,500 photographs of Red Arrows planes over the years

He said it "looks like a small explosion" and an "engine blow out".

There have also been suggestions the flash may have been due to a reflection or a strobe light fitted underneath the aircraft.

But one former RAF pilot told Sky News Online it looked "bigger than a strobe light".

He said in the picture the pilot "hasn't lost any speed and (the light) is not causing him any problems. There's no smoke coming out.

He added: "That light could be the start of something."

He also said the plane was in the Red 4 position but the Ministry of Defence has not confirmed that the jet in the picture was the stricken aircraft.

Mr Money did not think the light was due to a reflection: "If there is reflection on one (plane) it will appear on others like on the wing tip. The plane was flying over a cornfield."

The RAF has grounded all its Hawk T1 training jets while a service inquiry is carried out into what caused the tragedy.

After the crash, the pilot's wife Emma said: "Jon was everything to those that knew him, and he was the best friend and husband I could ever have wished for.

"I know that he would have wanted me to say something from the heart at this time. There was nothing bad about Jon. He loved his job and was an exemplary pilot.

"Watching him today, I was the proudest I've ever been. I loved everything about him, and he will be missed."

A Ministry of Defence spokeswoman said the inquiry is being carried out by the Military Air Accident Investigation Branch. She added: "The photograph has been passed to the inquiry team."

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16056204