PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried MiO yet???

shadowstalker
29th August 2011, 01:05
MiO is a liquid water enhancer that allows you to make your drink, your way. Each of MiO's six exciting flavors are:
Caffeine-free
Calorie free per 8 fluid ounce serving
Carbohydrate free and considered a free exchange
Sugar free
Free of artificial flavors
MiO is sweetened with Sucralose, a calorie-free, artificial sweetener that is 600 times sweeter than sugar. Generally, non-nutritive sweeteners are calorie free in finished products because they impart high sweetness intensity and are needed only in very small amounts to give desired sweetness to a product. Artificial sweeteners provide sweetness without adding calories to help individuals watching their calorie and sugar intake. To maintain color and freshness, MiO does use certain preservatives and artificial colorings.

Propylene glycol is a common additive found in many products, such as frostings, candies, baked goods, and frozen desserts. It is considered by the FDA to be "generally recognized as safe" for use in foods. Propylene glycol is a component of the flavor in MiO Liquid Water Enhancer and helps to distribute the flavor evenly throughout the product.

View the full list of ingredients and complete nutrition information from our packaging below:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=179516548760320

Sucralose, a calorie-free, artificial sweetener and acesulfame
It tastes just like aspartame

The front of the package does not let you know that it is sugar free it just says:
NATURAL FLAVOR WITH OTHER NATURAL FLAVOR

I bought it because the fam was complaining about drinking just water or teas or coffee. so I spent the money on three different flavors to which amount to about 8.50$ of belly aches..

I always make it a habit not to buy sugar free stuff because I know they have that aspartame/NutraSweet crap in it. If it says sugar free or anything to do with artificial flavors that hint toward aspartame/NutraSweet i refuse to spend money on it.

But in this case i feel totally duped.

Flash
29th August 2011, 01:13
Sucralose litterally send me to the toilet with diarrhea, every time I consume it. Even sucralose gum does that to me. My body strongly react to it.

As far as I am concerned, sucralose is as bad as any other additive. And no need to tell you what propylene glycol is, right.

For my family, they are on tea, herb tea, me on coffee (I cannot get rid of it - addiction) and soy milk or rice milk or almond milk or other kinds like this. Also enitrely natural softdrinks once in a while. When my child chew gum, I make sure it is gum with sugar and not the sugarless, even if we have to care much for her teeth afterward. Sugared gum is much more difficult to find these days.

shadowstalker
29th August 2011, 01:42
@Flash
I tried investing in the soy/almond/rice milks but they cost to much for the price where i live and doesn't last long for the price. we are on foodstamps.

Yes i myself and the fam would much rather have the sugar, even tho it's not that much healthier but at least it's price worthy last longer and it won't make us sick.

I myself am not into the sugar thing anymore as about 7 yrs ago i was becoming arthritic, and my mom said to slow down on the sugar and the stiffness and pain would go away, she was right. Cutting down on the sugar intake will help prevent arthritis.
I have gotten to the point where i have no sugar in my ice tea herbal or otherwise (I try different teas has often as money permits.), one tsp in my coffee. if i have to much through out the day i get nauseous.

Yes sugar in gum is really hard to find these days, hard put to find something like hubbabubba lol.

onawah
29th August 2011, 02:27
You can easily make your own rice milk and it's inexpensive and very healthy. Make just enough for one day, because it will spoil quickly.
Make a test run by soaking a cup of organic brown rice in water overnight. A glass jar is best, and you can protect it from insects by putting a bit of cheesecloth or screening on the opening, secured with a rubber band.
In the AM, rinse and drain well, turn the jar on it's side on a counter top that is not in direct sun. Rinse and drain again halfway through the day and again that night. Let it sit overnight again.
Second AM, rinse and drain well. If you look closely, you will see the beginnings of tiny sprouts coming from the tip of the grains. This means the nutritional value of the rice has been increased exponentially.
Put the rice in a blender with 2 cups of water, turn on high and let it run for a minute or two.
Strain through cheesecloth, store in a glass jar in the refrigerator. I like to sweeten it just a little with vanilla and a bit of raw honey. Delicious and nutritious.
You can make almond milk too, but the almonds only need to be soaked overnight and will be ready the next AM. The skins will be removed after the almonds are put through the blender and strained through cheesecloth. It's a lot more expensive, but very tasty.
If you remove the skins first before blending (bathe the almonds in a little boiling water for about 30 seconds, then peel) and add just enough water to blend to a cream, add some vanilla and honey, it makes a great dessert topping.
I don't recommend soy milk, but if you are going to make it, be sure the soybeans have been sprouted first. Unfermented and unsprouted soy is not a healthy food source.

Carmody
29th August 2011, 02:41
I just put a bit of cow juice in my coffee. That's it. Shadowstalker, you make me feel very guilty. I'm living in a 2200 sq ft house, by myself.

shadowstalker
29th August 2011, 02:44
I just put a bit of cow juice in my coffee. That's it. Shadowstalker, you make me feel very guilty. I'm living in a 2200 sq ft house, by myself.
Don't feel to guilty your there for a reason....as we all are

Cjay
29th August 2011, 03:54
Artificial sweetener? EEEK!!!

I love cow juice and I do not have a problem with drinking milk from another species. After all, I am not a cannibal, so EVERYTHING I eat is another species.

Flash
29th August 2011, 04:35
@Flash
I tried investing in the soy/almond/rice milks but they cost to much for the price where i live and doesn't last long for the price. we are on foodstamps.

Yes i myself and the fam would much rather have the sugar, even tho it's not that much healthier but at least it's price worthy last longer and it won't make us sick.

I myself am not into the sugar thing anymore as about 7 yrs ago i was becoming arthritic, and my mom said to slow down on the sugar and the stiffness and pain would go away, she was right. Cutting down on the sugar intake will help prevent arthritis.
I have gotten to the point where i have no sugar in my ice tea herbal or otherwise (I try different teas has often as money permits.), one tsp in my coffee. if i have to much through out the day i get nauseous.

Yes sugar in gum is really hard to find these days, hard put to find something like hubbabubba lol.

I seen hemp milk on the shelves lately. Hemp is very nutritious and cheap and abundant in America. May be you could find some "herbs" of hemp and make milk out of it. I also keep the rice water or the rice noodles water when I cook them and make milk out of it by adding vanilla and sugar, I also sometimes put in in the soup broth in order to thicken it and keep the minerals from the rice. (you could also keep the waters of beans cooking the same way for broth, but not for beverages).

A few ideas. I also use herb teas and pour it with some diluted juice for economy. It makes a stronger taste, varied and healthy.

Carmen
29th August 2011, 04:43
With my lot its water or milk, take your pick. No choice of other crap. They soon get used to it. No sugary drinks at this grandmother's house.

Then again sometimes they are allowed a little bit of my wine. but just a taste.

daledo
29th August 2011, 05:14
I read an article on this before. Basically it said that it was VERY similar to aspartame but with a slightly different structure to it. All natural is the way to go. If it sounds too good... IT IS.

shadowstalker
29th August 2011, 05:19
i love all the advise you guys gave me and all, but i think my main point was that MiO had miss represented itself, makes me wonder what else in the food chain had been misrepresented, besides the stuff we already know had been GM'd and so on...

Flash
29th August 2011, 05:37
In fact, I read that sucralose does not have to be listed on labels in USA and can be present. This is not the case in Canada.
So misrepresentation is constant I am quite sure of this.

By the way, energy beverages have just be forbidden in my daughter's school. Great.

Miller
29th August 2011, 10:27
Hi Shadowstalker

Cod liver oil (or if you're a veggie flaxseed oil) - Omega3 - is good for joints and might help.

Lin

drneglector
29th August 2011, 10:45
Anybody familiar with Stevia?

"As a sweetener and sugar substitute, stevia's taste has a slower onset and longer duration than that of sugar, although some of its extracts may have a bitter or licorice-like aftertaste at high concentrations. With its steviol glycoside extracts Stevia have up to 300 times the sweetness of sugar."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

ktlight
29th August 2011, 10:49
@Flash

Hi shadowstalker,
You could get little plant pots and plant seeds of mint (good for digestion, stomach), thyme (good for lungs, breathing), and loads of other herbal plants and make tea from them. Would cost you next to nothing and you would have huge varieties grown on a windowsill or two.