PDA

View Full Version : Can you feel winter?

Anno
31st August 2011, 18:28
Can anyone else feel Winter? I've noticed for the last few years that I've been feeling the seasons coming earlier and earlier. For the last few nights, just as it goes dark, I can feel the dark winter nights that I would usually expect around October/November.

For those that can't feel such things, it's kind of hard to describe. It's like remembering something but it's not a memory, it's something external that is experienced like a memory. It's like a moment of time has been frozen complete with all of the sensory information from normal things like smell to more obscure things like shades of light or the general 'atmosphere' or 'mood', and you step in to it and can feel it.

Around this time of year I'd be expecting to feel Autumn but it's jumped straight to Winter and we're still (just) in August.

Davy
31st August 2011, 18:38
I agree with you Nano. I feel it in the mornings now and the seasons are early. It was spring here in feb this year, then it was summer time by April, which is usually our spring, and this past winter started early too. We had snow before Christmas which we rarely see snow till Jan or later. so yes I agree with you I have noticed the same thing also for the past few years And it makes me crazy that other people just say well its just the weather or that they aren't concisely noticing it.

pickle
31st August 2011, 18:41
Yep, there's a winter nip in the air alright - feels like we're opting out of autumn...

Ruby L.
31st August 2011, 18:50
I see (and feel!) what you're saying, Anno.

Just yesterday, I was remarking to a friend how early winter-y the atmosphere felt. Well, and the fact that people were walking around in scarves and boots, too!

Gone002
31st August 2011, 19:06
Yeah im over in Ireland and dam is it getting cold, we may have another bad winter on the way. Like you say winter is getting earlier and earlier, i mean it should be warm still. On another note the trees around me are all brown and red, but i would say winter.

seko
31st August 2011, 19:33
Yeah im over in Ireland and dam is it getting cold, we may have another bad winter on the way. Like you say winter is getting earlier and earlier, i mean it should be warm still. On another note the trees around me are all brown and red, but i would say winter.

I can tell you that in Mexico is so hot!! 34, 36 degres celsius. :flame:

Would love to share some of this heat with you in Europe, is too much for us here, feels like a Sauna!

Forevernyt
31st August 2011, 19:41
Yes, I was thinking about winter just this morning. I hope we don't skip Autumn, it's my favorite season.

viscountvlad
31st August 2011, 19:46
I think I have missed the best black berries! I don't normally look until early September. The times they are a changing!

Marianne
31st August 2011, 19:46
Can anyone else feel Winter? I've noticed for the last few years that I've been feeling the seasons coming earlier and earlier. For the last few nights, just as it goes dark, I can feel the dark winter nights that I would usually expect around October/November.

For those that can't feel such things, it's kind of hard to describe. It's like remembering something but it's not a memory, it's something external that is experienced like a memory. It's like a moment of time has been frozen complete with all of the sensory information from normal things like smell to more obscure things like shades of light or the general 'atmosphere' or 'mood', and you step in to it and can feel it.

Around this time of year I'd be expecting to feel Autumn but it's jumped straight to Winter and we're still (just) in August.

I know exactly what you mean, Anno. The light is fading -- I feel it at dusk, sort of melancholy, makes me feel it's time to make a seasonal inner change (can't describe that either, except it's like shifting gears internally). It may help you if you can get outdoors in the middle of day, when there's still light. I was able to do that on the weekend, and it was definitely an autumn feel. The dry leaf crunch, the smell of ripened wild grains, and something indescribable. It would do your spirit good!
BTW, if you are into seasons, there's a great website with info on seasons and aligning to earth rhythms. Waverly used to offer little correspondence courses you can take that help you wring all the goodness out of each season, but I see she is revising them so not currently available, but there's some good stuff in the archives.

Waverly Fitzgerald's School of the Seasons http://www.schooloftheseasons.com/index.html

All love,
Marianne

HORIZONS
31st August 2011, 19:48
It is still very hot here, but I was telling my wife today that I could "feel" winter coming on - I could sense it. I felt like it was going to be a long winter to get through - Hopefully I am wrong on this one, but I usually get these things right. My summer prediction was right on target, so I think we need to prepare. Maybe I can move to S. Florida before winter sets in :) I have also noticed that it seams to me that the summer and winter are more extreme and longer, while the spring and autumn seem shorter and milder - that's how it feels anyway.

dark skies
31st August 2011, 19:52
I ve noticed over the past few weeks during the night theres a cold feel to the air the which I ,normally associate with the end of autumn /beginning of winter rather than the start of autumn.
Something tells me we are in for a long and cold winter

hangel
31st August 2011, 20:32
Today, especially. I went to my garden this late morning and it was SO quiet, there was no wind, no birds, no human noises, no cars, no leaf moved and no grass waved. I felt winter coming in the air... and my first though was: where is everybody, am i in the new dimension already and overslept?
Im looking forward to pumpkin crop, and apples..

to viscountvlad:

you may be able to find few last blackberries there and there. I ve been picking them in large amounts over last few weeks. Something tell me i should make winter food stock...

Anno
31st August 2011, 20:37
I may start putting away a few things. Britain falls apart when there's a bit of snow and ice so if this is going to be a long one it'd be good to be prepared.

I love the Autumn and Winter though. The general Winter feeling I get is that cosy contentedness when it's freezing and dark outside but you're inside and it's all warm and safe.

cloud9
31st August 2011, 20:42
Yeap, it's in the air...

Lisab
31st August 2011, 20:49
Definitely a winter feel Anno exactly as you say. It's like you can smell it.
Autumns my fave time of year. Il be sad if we skip it. Maybe it's the oncoming iceage that's being predicted! Bbrrr!

Mike
31st August 2011, 20:55
i can certainly sense the weather changing. its barely perceptible here, very subtle, like the scent of something that grabs you olfactorily and lets you go in the same instant and you're left wondering whether you just smelled that aroma or not.

it's evasive; you can't hold it in your hands but you know it's there.

it's a feeling, but once discovered and identified...it's gone. lol!

i know exactly what ya mean Anno. i love the seasons too, particularly the fall. it's beautiful here in central NY. i lived in California for a few yrs and truth be told, it's over-rated. the sun is absolutely relentless! not to sound too esoteric, but i believe the body NEEDS the seasons-something to do with the rhythms of the body and so forth. i missed that out west.

YoungSoul
31st August 2011, 20:59
I love winter, since I grew up in the north then I got used to cold weather, snowstorms and meters of pure white snow.

I always feel more at ease when it is winter and I am surrounded by the pure white crystals.

Anno
31st August 2011, 21:02
At least if it's cold you can put on a jumper but when it's hot there's no escaping it. Give me autumn and winter any day. Without rain though. I'd like long sunny autumn days then a thunderstorm in the late afternoon.

Does anyone have any theories about why the seasons seem to be moving? They're meant to be caused by the earth's tilt but I can't see how changing that would speed things up or move them. Maybe we're moving faster? But then the solstices would move? I can't work it out.

MorgaineFallen
31st August 2011, 21:06
Definetely! The smell of winter came very early this year.

Spirithorse
31st August 2011, 21:19
I also have to agree with you, Anno, it feels different.

I personally think it has to do with the slowing down or even stalling, as some sources say, of the Golf Stream.
Well, England is actually quite high up north ...our temperate climate (up until recently) made us forget about that fact.
I guess, I'll need some extra loads of fire wood ...

Anno
31st August 2011, 21:23
[...]
I personally think it has to do with the slowing down or even stalling, as some sources say, of the Golf Stream.[...]

We're in trouble if that happens.

WhiteFeather
31st August 2011, 21:36
Agreed, time is cruising at an unbelievable quickening rate. Im not a winter person, so my consciousness is still summer.