PDA

View Full Version : What is it about a fire?

anklebiter
6th September 2011, 01:05
There is something very special and relaxing about an outdoor fire in a fire pit. I can't for the life of me pin down exactly what it is. Between the crackling noises, the flames shooting up, the smoke rising into the great unknown, etc. there is something alluring. Not just myself, but my wife and daughter really enjoy this as well.

Sitting outside this evening with a fire in the fire pit, I can't get over how relaxing it is. While I sit back in the camping chair smoking a bowl of Captain Black, I can escape the stress, worries, and cares of the world. Whether it is something primal, something transcending, or even spiritual i'm not sure - but it is quiet and enjoyable.

Do any other Avalonians enjoy this simple pleasure also?

Note: The wood that I burn was clean-up from a major storm 2-years ago. No live trees were cut down for my use in the backyard fire pit.

Orph
6th September 2011, 01:15
I do. And like you, I'm not sure why. Very comforting and relaxing.

the trojan
6th September 2011, 01:23
I do. And like you, I'm not sure why. Very comforting and relaxing.

its starting to get dark here early in the evening,i may go out and set one up tomorrow night,what a wonderful thing to do!

ooops,i agree with your initial post,and orph also.

mosquito
6th September 2011, 05:44
Agreed, I think it's something very primitive, deep within us.
It's also the only time I really feel like smoking, a nice hand-rolled ciggy, it's so relaxing while sitting watching and listening to the fire. (Although I haven't smoked in 4 years !)

markoid
6th September 2011, 06:05
It's the flickering light... the TV of yesteryear :)

I suspect a fair bit of the allure and relaxation experienced may be from the days when fire protected us from many of our predators. During past shamanic training we were encouraged to do all night vigils with fire and a fire (especially in combination with drumming) can lend itself very easily to be a portal for entry into altered states.

meeradas
6th September 2011, 06:43
You are very privileged. Would i start a fire here, it would only get me the fire brigade...

Where does the inner fire burn?
Right, in the heart.
Sitting at the fire, one resonates with the inner fire. Somehow, it's where the 'person' ends. Maybe, that's why it's so relaxing.

PS:
Love your "disclaimer"

Note: The wood that I burn was clean-up from a major storm 2-years ago. No live trees were cut down for my use in the backyard fire pit.

Marianne
6th September 2011, 09:22
I love a fire of any kind ... indoors or outdoors. Happily, there's often a reason to have a fire ... from a 'gnat smoke' to keep the bugs away, to a bonfire to get rid of fallen branches.

It's being outdoors in the fresh air, and there's something primordial about a fire. The lives of our ancestors depended on keeping a fire.

Mark's comments are ones I've thought about too:
"It's the flickering light... the TV of yesteryear.
I suspect a fair bit of the allure and relaxation experienced may be from the days when fire protected us from many of our predators.

And then there are s'mores -- toasting the marshmallow just right so it's soft to the middle but not burnt, and I like good dark chocolate instead of Hershey's--smushed into a crispy graham cracker. Instant camaraderie and bliss around the campfire.

Simone
6th September 2011, 09:32
Isn't it beautiful, the safe secure feeling with the warmth, the flames dancing, it's wonderful - hypnotic!

My son loves fire, he told me it's magic and I believe him, I find it very hypnotising, I can stare at a fire for hours, it's like a meditation...

Simone xx

ktlight
6th September 2011, 09:46
it's like a meditation...
Simone xx

Absolutely.

The One
6th September 2011, 10:01
I think because its one of the elements that draws us to it.

I too love a good fire outdoors sitting back relaxing and telling stories to my little lad. It mesmerising like we are in a trance

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

anklebiter
6th September 2011, 11:16
Thanks to all who replied. Glad to know it's not just me that can stare at a camp fire for hours... It is like meditation, Simone.

Of course there are s'mores, roasted marshmallows alone, and of course 'Jiffy Pop' popcorn.:cool:

This is something I greatly enjoyed years ago when I lived at home, but was without for some time. I built the fire pit last year and have never regretted it. My family loves it just as much as I do.

About the disclaimer, the area I live in has a good percentage of wooded grounds. There are always trees/branches/etc. down due to one reason or the other, so firewood is and semi-plentiful without the need to cut down a living tree (I am against de-forestation).

Heyoka_11
6th September 2011, 12:00
For all the reasons already stated and more, I love an outdoor fire, but can only enjoy them during spring and autumn (fire bans). The most memorable fire of my life was when camping between the two gold mining towns of Mount Magnet and Meekatharra, here in West Oz. Once ablaze, the entire campsite and environs were enveloped in the sweet perfume of sandalwood. I had inadvertently collected a pile of the stuff; enough to keep that fire burning for two straight days. Heavenly!!

PurpleLama
6th September 2011, 12:53
my theory is that fire is a form of plasma, and when we shed the physical form we are a form of plasma, as well. Hence the spiritual feeling of sitting before a fire. It reminds us of what we really are, on the deepest level.