PDA

View Full Version : Humans too simple to understand universe

rosie
14th June 2010, 19:20
Mainstream news about "other dimensions", but we are too "simple" to even understand, according to this scientist. Hmmm, he should pop in here sometime, he might actually learn a few things.

quote:
A top British scientist says we may never know all the secrets of the universe because, quite simply, we're just not smart enough.

"Just as Einstein's ideas would baffle a chimpanzee," said President of the Royal Society Lord Martin Rees, gaining a full understanding of how the universe works might not be possible "simply because they're beyond human brains."

"Just as a fish may be barely aware of he medium in which it lives and swims, so the microstructure of empty space could be far too complex for unaided human brains."

Lord Rees made the comments to the Sunday Times in London in response to the fact that scientists have been yet unable to create a unifying theory to describe how the universe works.

He suggests that the idea of multiple parallel universes, human consciousness and the very idea of reality may be simply beyond our understanding.

It's as if a fish is swimming in one pond, completely unaware that thousands of other ponds exist mere meters away from it. Understanding that those ponds even exist, let alone understanding their connection to the original pond, is understandably beyond the comprehension of a single fish.

Similarly, that parallel universes could exist in up to 11 dimensions - while humanity is restricted to three spatial dimensions and time - is beyond human understanding.

"In theory, there could be another entire universe less than a millimetre away from us, but we are oblivious to it because that millimetre is measured in a fourth spatial dimension and we are imprisoned in just three," he said in the interview.
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Science/2010/06/13/14373261.html?cid=rssnewsscience

Justano
14th June 2010, 19:49
I like to think the possibilities of our understanding have no limits and that we can comprehend the cosmos, but then again its very possible we will never understand the entirety of the cosmos in this state of consciousness.

grace
14th June 2010, 20:32
correction: humans are the universe

truthseekerdan
14th June 2010, 21:05
Holographic Universe it's all illusion

Great evidence that one must not live only by 'the brain'. A must see video. Enjoy!

"The holographic universe proves that the physical world we believe is real is in fact illusion.
Energy fields are decoded by our brains into a 3D picture, to give the illusion of a physical world."

Holographic Universe (Part 1 of 2 ) it's all illusion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnvM_YAwX4I

Holographic Universe ( Part 2 of 2 ) its all illusion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG9FO7JGWq4&feature=related

lunaflare
14th June 2010, 21:17
I feel this gentleman (a Lord at that!) has a valid point.
Our minds are limited in this dimension. Our heart visioning, however, is not...
At least this concept is getting OUT into the mainstream world for "we the people" to hold in our conscious knowing.
This may open discussion; a possible topic for morning tea bantering

So, I find this positive actually...another key that may allow people to awaken into what we are remembering. And ultimately what we are to experience....

Fredkc
14th June 2010, 21:29
Note from the Site Host: I first read this on the Web back in '91. It was one of two articles that first peaked my interest in the Web as a communications media.

The Universe as a Hologram

In 1982 a remarkable event took place. At the University of Paris a research team led by physicist Alain Aspect performed what may turn out to be one of the most important experiments of the 20th century. You did not hear about it on the evening news. In fact, unless you are in the habit of reading scientific journals you probably have never even heard Aspect's name, though there are some who believe his discovery may change the face of science.

Aspect and his team discovered that under certain circumstances subatomic particles such as electrons are able to instantaneously communicate with each other regardless of the distance separating them. It doesn't matter whether they are 10 feet or 10 billion miles apart.

Somehow each particle always seems to know what the other is doing. The problem with this feat is that it violates Einstein's long-held tenet that no communication can travel faster than the speed of light. Since traveling faster than the speed of light is tantamount to breaking the time barrier, this daunting prospect has caused some physicists to try to come up with elaborate ways to explain away Aspect's findings. But it has inspired others to offer even more radical explanations.

The rest is here. (http://fredsitelive.com/reference/hologram.htm)

"Then again, relativity may only be a local phenomena." - A. Einstein

Majorion
14th June 2010, 22:02
There may never have been a beginning to this universe, I think that these scientists are all desperately looking for something quantifiable, something they can measure, and this in my opinion is why the big bang theory is almost religiously held on to by the scientific community, it would seem easier to find answers to other questions if we assumed there were a beginning.

Solphilos
14th June 2010, 23:23
Well, he is correct in a sense, that when it comes to using rationality and our logical minds to try and understand such things, we may experience trouble.
But what he does not understand is the fractal, holographic nature of our universe; as above, so below.
With this understanding, the ancients developed remarkable systems to understand the universe and hidden dimensions of existence. Astrology, Kabbalah, the Tarot are just a few systems of correspondences that allows the mind to move from symbol to symbol, and make the connections necessary to understand that which would otherwise be incomprehensible.

This is only assuming that one is using the rational left-brain to try and comprehend, attaining higher consciousness to understand is a whole other story...

bettye198
15th June 2010, 06:18
We are special not because we look human but because we carry Angelic DNA strands. That determines our specialness. We are engaged in a time where nothing else is important enough than to exercise our right to activate the strands that have been part of our Creation blueprint.

Ross
15th June 2010, 07:17
As I understand my own Being, full of multiverses, seemingly endless, and part of the overall fractal hologram of the macro/micro... I suspect I know it all... and, I also suspect... I know nothing..:humble:

conk
15th June 2010, 12:57
He seems to have a decent understanding of the Universe. Is he not people? If one can figure it out, most can.

rosie
16th June 2010, 01:08
He seems to have a decent understanding of the Universe. Is he not people? If one can figure it out, most can.

exactly! education is one of the keys to the universe, but he is forgetting about "knowing". Some educators forget that not all is taught in the school system, and people tend to have a working mind long after they leave that system. I was disappointed when I read this article, it seems we are still living in the dinosaur age when it comes to the mind set of most educators.

The heading should have read:

Humans are too complex to understand!

in love & light :wub:

Grizzom
16th June 2010, 16:32
As above, so below has always felt right to me?

http://i49.tinypic.com/24qo4jl.jpg

The Universe in a Grain of Sand

(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400080797?ie=UTF8&tag=speakingoffaith-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1400080797)
The Universe in a Grain of SandA chapter excerpted from The Quantum and the Lotus

The Interdependence and Nonseparability of Phenomena

The concept of interdependence lies at the heart of the Buddhist vision of the nature of reality, and has immense implications in Buddhism regarding how we should live our lives. This concept of interdependence is strikingly similar to the concept of nonseparability in quantum physics. Both concepts lead us to ask a question that is both simple and fundamental: Can a "thing," or a "phenomenon," exist autonomously? If not, in what way and to what degree are the universe's phenomena interconnected? If things do not exist per se, what conclusions must be drawn about life?

Read more here : http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/programs/2009/ricard/chapter-universe.shtml