PDA

View Full Version : Glowing kittens may advance aids research

jagman
15th September 2011, 21:09
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2011/09/12/image_1b_face%2C_claws.jpg
Benjamin Franklin once advised a friend to take older women to bed because, figuratively speaking, "in the dark all cats are gray." Well, not these kittehs.
Researchers in the U.S. and Japan have developed green-glowing kittens with resistance to the feline version of AIDS, which may help work on AIDS research in humans.
In a study published in Nature Methods, researchers from the Mayo Clinic and Yamaguchi University took a genome approach to producing cats that are apparently resistant to feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV), a deadly condition that attacks infection-fighting T-cells as AIDS does.
The researchers including Mayo Clinic molecular biologist Eric Poeschla inserted genes into feline eggs before sperm fertilization. They added a gene for a rhesus macaque protein, known as a "restriction factor," that can prevent infection by FIV, and a jellyfish gene for tracking the cells that also makes the kitties glow a spooky green.
When cells were taken from the cats and exposed to FIV, they were found to be resistant; the animals themselves will also be exposed to the virus in the future.
The cats produced the defensive proteins throughout their bodies and have had kittens who also carry the protective genes.
"This specific transgenesis (genome modification) approach will not be used directly for treating people with HIV or cats with FIV," the Mayo Clinic said in a release, "but it will help medical and veterinary researchers understand how restriction factors can be used to advance gene therapy for AIDS caused by either virus."
And researchers won't soon lose their cats in the dark.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20104809-1/glowing-kittens-may-advance-aids-research/#ixzz1XIrWqYgS

shadowstalker
15th September 2011, 21:10
This sickens me as they already have a cure for AIDS, nothing like wasting money, DNA and time.

bonnyhut
15th September 2011, 21:33
This sickens me as they already have a cure for AIDS, nothing like wasting money, DNA and time.

Yes, well Dr. Willaim Deagle on the Tube or on Project Cam explains quite clearly the way they manufactured the aids virus in thier secret labs and how they introduced it into the public.

king anthony
16th September 2011, 00:29
Human beings torturing animals is sickening - and yet elevate themselves to be something more in existence; human beings do not like when (some) of "those others" do it to human beings - a species full of hypocrisy and ego.

I know firsthand no one should be dying of anything, including AIDS and cancers; however, I am no one that anyone should listen to. I conclude with a video and the text regarding it.

"Dr. Boyd Graves discusses the origin of AIDS as well as the United States' patented cure, all based on official governmnet documentation. Tell everyone you know that the cure for AIDS is U.S. patent #5676977, and demand from your government officials that it begin clinical trials and widespread implementation immediately. For more information, visit www.boydgraves.com or www.tetrahedron.org."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8567399552051355527#

p.s.
When he holds up the cover, note the words written on its face.

mosquito
17th September 2011, 03:48
Thanks King Anthony !