PDA

View Full Version : What tools need to measure/record the pole shift?

Hughe
16th September 2011, 13:04
People say there will be two pole shift within few years. One is the change of the axis of rotation of Earth, the second one is magnetic pole. I'm confused of crust shift and magnetic pole shift.

By the way, I want to record the pole shift by myself. To measure magnetic pole shift, I can buy a magnetic compass and mark the position regular base. To measure true North - change of the axis of rotation, I need to have a device that detect change of inclination of certain stars or celestial bodies.

sygh
16th September 2011, 17:46
People say there will be two pole shift within few years. One is the change of the axis of rotation of Earth, the second one is magnetic pole. I'm confused of crust shift and magnetic pole shift.

By the way, I want to record the pole shift by myself. To measure magnetic pole shift, I can buy a magnetic compass and mark the position regular base. To measure true North - change of the axis of rotation, I need to have a device that detect change of inclination of certain stars or celestial bodies.

Probably preaching to the choir but... True north is x many degrees east or west of your physical location, depending upon where you are located on this world. What you are measuring is how far the magnetic pole has moved from true north. The difference between true north and magnetic north is due to the declination of the earth and of course, the earth's magnetic flux.

Due to the wobble of the earth on it's imaginary axis, magnetic north, and true north change slightly every year. Look to googleearth.com for the most accurate information, in this regard. You can also find your own longitude & latitude readings. Great fun!

Equalitor
16th September 2011, 18:44
You have a house? Or some trees/stones around? Okay. All you need to check at least the LARGE crust shift with is that and a magnetic compass, to check the relation between the pointing of the needle to the interior of your house, or pattern of at least two trees or stones. If things go on like "envisioned", you will quite likely have to change your wardrobe too. I'm exited to go from mild arctic to mediterranean, if we are so lucky in Europe.