PDA

View Full Version : Earth 'too hot for humans' within 300 years

Studeo
17th June 2010, 20:02
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10644219&ref=paidb

Planet Earth will be too hot for humans to inhabit in just 300 years, a group of scientists are saying.

Australian scientists have warned half the planet could "simply become too hot" for human habitation by the year 2300.

New research by the University of NSW has forecast the effect of climate change over the next three centuries, a longer time horizon than that considered in many similar studies.

It suggests without action to cut greenhouse gas emissions, mankind's activities could prompt average temperatures to rise as much as 10 to 12 per cent in the next three centuries.

The research, produced in partnership with the Purdue University in the United States, is published in the US-based scientific journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) on Tuesday.

"Much of the climate change debate has been about whether the world will succeed in keeping global warming to the relatively safe level of only two degrees celsius by 2100," said Professor Tony McMichael, from the Australian National University (ANU), in an accompanying paper also published in the PNAS.

But climate change will not stop in 2100, and under realistic scenarios out to 2300, we may be faced with temperature increases of 12 degrees or even more."

Prof McMichael said if this were to happen, then current worries about sea level rises, occasional heatwaves and bushfires, biodiversity loss and agricultural difficulties would "pale into insignificance" compared to the global impacts.

Such a temperature rise would pose a "considerable threat to the survival of our species", he said, because "as much as half the currently inhabited globe may simply become too hot for people to live there".

Prof McMichael was joined by co-author Associate Professor Keith Dear, also from the ANU.

They describe the UNSW-Purdue study as "important and necessary" as, they said, there was a need to refocus government attention on the health impacts of global temperature rise.

There was also a real possibility, they said, that much of the existing climate modelling had underestimated the rate of global temperature rise.

Dr Dear said scientific authorities on the issue, such as the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), had struck a cautious tone in forecasting future temperature rise and its impact.

"In presenting its warnings about the future, the IPCC is very careful to be conservative, using mild language and low estimates of impacts," Dr Dear said.

"This is appropriate for a scientific body, but world governments - including our own - should be honest with us about the full range of potential dangers posed by uncontrolled emissions and the extremes of climate change that would inevitably result."

- AAP

Fredkc
17th June 2010, 20:40
From "the hack" of un-doctored global warming figures, I would show you these:
Numbers are, (L to R):
year, mean temp worldwide, mean temp N. hemisphere, mean temp S. hemisphere
1001: 15.9155, 16.5835, 15.2475
1998: 15.8986, 16.4463, 15.3509

So net change in avg temp, over the last 1,000 years, worldwide appears to be: -0.0169 C.

I don't see any particular trend over the last 1,000 years, that could be projected into such results, myself.

I offer you the complete data in both text, (http://fredsitelive.com/personal/CurEvents/100yrTemps.html) and Excel (http://fredsitelive.com/personal/CurEvents/1000yrTemps.xls) formats.

I do not disagree that the earth is heating up. but. this is not a global problem, solvable by everyone parking their cars, etc.
This is a bit bigger than that. It is solar system wide.

Solphilos
17th June 2010, 21:41
Are people still talking about human-induced global warming by carbon emissions? Despite the fact that it is utter nonsense, this oil volcano that is spewing out some of the most powerful greenhouse gasses known to man changes the ball game a little bit http://www.runemasterstudios.com/graemlins/images/lol.gif
Global warming is of no concern at this time, this oil disaster may due us in sooner than we realize.

Kra
17th June 2010, 22:52
I do not disagree that the earth is heating up. but. this is not a global problem, solvable by everyone parking their cars, etc.

Exactly what i wanted to say. Global Warming is not caused by humans. I agree that we polute the atmosphere and try to distroy the planet in every possible way but... the global warming would have happened anyway. The whole solar system is going through changes, the cosmic cycles.

Kulapops
17th June 2010, 23:45
Yep.. ditto for me. The words :

"It suggests without action to cut greenhouse gas emissions..."

suggest that the whole article is about the need to cut emissions. So then you wonder who sponsored the report.

Even being a bit more vague like... 'we need to look at our options and figure out how to change world temp..' would be more believable.

But no... carbon emissions it is... so it's all just part of the same old rhetoric.

Lost Soul
18th June 2010, 01:57
Just more scare tactics to push the cap 'n trade.

conk
13th September 2010, 20:06
That does it! I'm selling all my winter clothes. Althought I won't be able to dress myself by then.

Steven
13th September 2010, 20:40
We are currently in a very slow cooling period of time. Ice Age approximativly comes every 100-120 thousand years and the last Ice Age was around 20 thousand years ago. After an Ice Age, the pattern shows a quick increase in temperature to reach a peak and than cooling slowly down for 80-100 years. We are in a slow cooling period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vostok_Petit_data.svg

Namaste, Steven

Giuse
25th February 2012, 15:00
Nice to be on this forum where many know what they are talking about when it comes to these issues. As Steven said the climate is actually cooling. Not only that, but if you knows different areas are now experiencing uncharacteristic weather. This is due to the slight offset the poles are beginning to create. Note, they are not going to reverse or anything of that nature.

Sidney
25th February 2012, 16:07

Exactly what i wanted to say. Global Warming is not caused by humans. I agree that we polute the atmosphere and try to distroy the planet in every possible way but... the global warming would have happened anyway. The whole solar system is going through changes, the cosmic cycles.

Yupp, ditto ditto.

I am laughing too, its unreal they keep pushing this rediculous carbon warming bull****.

Flash
25th February 2012, 17:26
well, reptiles will be happy, a nice watery planet full of foliage for them alone.

Kristo
25th February 2012, 17:51
"Too hot for humans"....... Assuming humans as we are today. Humans evolve, too. I'm sure if we decide to reincarnate here in 300 or so years, our meat suits will be adapted to current conditions :)

Wind
25th February 2012, 18:10
The Earth will be unhabitable for a while in the 3D density in the very near future, but that doesn't mean that it would be the end of us as a race. The planet will evolve and so will we. ! Life is cyclic, it repeats and repeats patterns for an eternity and each time we will evolve more and more until we are finally ready to be part of the Creator once again. It is the eternal dance of life! That's the way it has always been and that's the way it will always be. Welcome it with joy, not fear!

Precog
25th February 2012, 18:11
The Bush family did not purchase property where they did because the earth is warming. I agree it will be cooling off for a very long time after 2013.

Cilka
25th February 2012, 21:16
Planet Earth can never be too hot for me. I am sick of the cold and am ready for the hot temperatures any time. I thrive in +35C, and besides it's good to sweat, at least we will get our bodies detoxified finally. ;)

The One
25th February 2012, 21:25
Simple

Never beleive an expert