PDA

View Full Version : For the Brave 13,698 Each Day

<8>
7th October 2011, 09:37
How many people starve to death each year worldwide?

It's around 5 million (5,000,000) people per year from starvation.(not including malnutrition)

That's about 13,698 per day !

http://www.worldvisionmagazine.org/wp-content/uploads/9-D200-0442-180.jpg

Workers dig their third child’s grave of the day in the Dadaab refugee camp in Kenya.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_t5E7gNmVMHw/S9lSBRuEIiI/AAAAAAAAAHk/BCBxFUsKelY/s1600/InvisibleChildren350.jpg

modwiz
7th October 2011, 10:11
It is one of the reasons I never use the phrase, "I'm starving", when I am hungry. Out of respect for those 13,698 who die every day, as an average.
Another reason I don't use it is because it is not true. I hear it from all kinds of body types too, including some who would need at least a month for that remark to even begin to have any truth.

Tony
7th October 2011, 10:50
Words fail me..............?

<8>
7th October 2011, 11:07
Words fail me..............?

I did not want to make this into a big debate, but normally we always bring forth the ones who succeeded in life one way or the other, after they died.

Everyone are equally important, so i just made a note of them who can't make their voice heard..

markpierre
7th October 2011, 11:19
So that issue is still out there. It's not just a solicitation for more of my money. Strange how I can go weeks or months or longer without remembering that things have been very NOT okay for a very long time. Rather compelling reminder that change is way overdue if its anything.

Almost (certainly is!) criminal. So I donated my money when I had money. Now what do I do?

toothpick
7th October 2011, 11:25
It makes me very sad, mad and ashamed.

TelosianEmbrace
7th October 2011, 11:26
You see a picture like this and you think "There's something wrong here". For a number of years I was amazed at how people could watch nightly news broadcasts of famines in Africa and the Middle East- Ethiopia springs to mind- make a few tsk tsk noises and then go to their jobs the next day without an iota of remorse or self introspection. Surely, I thought to myself, we are all connected, we are all human beings. Surely it would be more important to begin a life the next day which goes in some way towards alleviating the suffering of others. So many times have I been shocked by the self serving nature of those around me. Nevermind. Soon that will all change. The countless dry hearts will soon feel the flood of compassion.

Star1111
7th October 2011, 12:58
It is one of the reasons I never use the phrase, "I'm starving", when I am hungry. Out of respect for those 13,698 who die every day, as an average.
Another reason I don't use it is because it is not true. I hear it from all kinds of body types too, including some who would need at least a month for that remark to even begin to have any truth.

I do the same modwiz and when people say it around me I correct them (much to their annoyance probably) but so what!

If the Governments of these countries weren't so corupt then perhaps things would improve. I know that this is not the only issue, but it doesn't help does it.
Another question is what is ACTUALLY done with the aid and money sent - not sure we will ever really know for sure - I'm not convinced though that it is solely given to the people that are starving.
My 2 pennith

Davidallany
7th October 2011, 13:04
So I donated my money when I had money. Now what do I do?

I suggest starting an organization to help the extremely poor.