PDA

View Full Version : A Farewell To All

hostingtechs
21st June 2010, 21:50
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to say that we are sorry things had to come to this, but we are no longer hosting Avalon as per Bill's decision.

It has been a pleasure working with all of you, and all of us here at KWD Services, Inc. wish everyone at Avalon the best of luck.

Just FYI we are still hosting the Camelot sites.

If you need anything, feel free to email me at karl@kwdservices.com

--
Karl

Caren
22nd June 2010, 00:11
Thank you for all your hard work, and all the best to you as well.

cloud9
22nd June 2010, 00:33
Thanks to you for all services we received and all the best in your endeavors.

hostingtechs
22nd June 2010, 01:07
Thank you for all your hard work, and all the best to you as well.

Thanks to you for all services we received and all the best in your endeavors.

You're welcome to both of you, and thank you for the wishes.

Ross
22nd June 2010, 05:48
Im curious to know...has the camelot sites has as much disruption as this site over the last several months?

morguana
22nd June 2010, 08:57
am just wishing you much luck for your future
what will be will be
blessings
m

morguana
22nd June 2010, 08:57
what will be will be
blessings
m

hostingtechs
22nd June 2010, 13:38
Im curious to know...has the camelot sites has as much disruption as this site over the last several months?
No, aside from a few blips here and there a few weeks ago and the hard drive failure a while back, Camelot has pretty much been 100% stable. The main issue at hand with Avalon was the fact that vBulletin is being used, and Camelot does not use vBulletin so that takes away a large amount of possible problems.

what will be will be
blessings
m
Thank you Morguana, you too :)

--
Karl

sunflower
22nd June 2010, 16:16
Many thanks for services rendered and best wishes.

THIRDEYE
22nd June 2010, 16:50
well you all will be missed,ty you for your hard work,and your futre endeavers...!!!!love light and abundance ....thirdeye

hostingtechs
22nd June 2010, 17:52
Many thanks for services rendered and best wishes.

well you all will be missed,ty you for your hard work,and your futre endeavers...!!!!love light and abundance ....thirdeye

Thank you to both of you :)

tone3jaguar
22nd June 2010, 19:02
We all have out strengths and our weaknesses. I am a member on multiple other sites that are vbulletin and they work fine all of the time. One of them is about 4 times as busy as this one is. I thank you for your hard work, and I thank Bill for deciding to move on to a more vbulletin oriented hosting server support arrangement.

hostingtechs
22nd June 2010, 22:19
We all have out strengths and our weaknesses. I am a member on multiple other sites that are vbulletin and they work fine all of the time. One of them is about 4 times as busy as this one is. I thank you for your hard work, and I thank Bill for deciding to move on to a more vbulletin oriented hosting server support arrangement.

You also have to remember that some of those sites may not be running as many add ons as PA. We are a very vBulletin and user interactive oriented hosting company, and we had fixed thevBulletin issues. Bill decided to leave for other reasons. We are not incompetent and we know fully what we are doing.

As for the new host, they have rented a server and are managing it themselves, so any issues will be misconfiguration on their part, not their hosting company's. It seems as if the current setup is quite slow, and in our opinion it is because they are using Apache; however, we are not familiar with their current setup and cannot say for sure what the underlying issue at hand is.

--
Karl

Anchor
22nd June 2010, 22:43
@KWD: It is a shame it turned out this way. Personally having seen this from both a mod and user perspective - I didn't envy you your task one bit. I thought you guys did really well, and you did get there in the end. Separations on any level are never the most pleasant things to work through. I always try to remember that everything happens for a reason, we don't always know what that reason is, but usually if you are doing the right thing and going with the flow, it works out really well for everyone.

Good luck and best wishes.

John..

hostingtechs
23rd June 2010, 03:46
@KWD: It is a shame it turned out this way. Personally having seen this from both a mod and user perspective - I didn't envy you your task one bit. I thought you guys did really well, and you did get there in the end. Separations on any level are never the most pleasant things to work through. I always try to remember that everything happens for a reason, we don't always know what that reason is, but usually if you are doing the right thing and going with the flow, it works out really well for everyone.

Good luck and best wishes.

John..

Hi John,

Thank you very much for the comments. We appreciated your help in diagnosing issues greatly, and you were always very kind to us along with many other members since it was obvious that we were working very hard and had Avalon at heart. I hope that we can continue to be friends :)

Thanks again.

--
Karl

Dougall
23rd June 2010, 04:28

The Camelot site is a breeze :spy:

MargueriteBee
23rd June 2010, 06:00
Thank you. I wish you the best!

hostingtechs
23rd June 2010, 06:17
The Camelot site is a breeze :spy:
Eh?

Thank you. I wish you the best!
You're welcome. Thank you too! :)

--
Karl

Fredkc
23rd June 2010, 19:51
Personally, I want to thank Rich & Gareth for doing a great job of moving us to a proper server, and then acquiring/applying the MySQL savvy required to optimize it for vBulletin 4.

What was needed all along was proper access to a proper server. Once they had it, the site got sorted in quick fashion.

Having spoken to them thru the day yesterday, I know they busted their butts to do it.
Having spoken to Rich this morning, I know his first question to the rest of the hosts was to know if it stayed fixed.

Nice to finally turn a page,

Fred

morguana
23rd June 2010, 19:59
yes fred, i would also like to say well done to r and g, they have worked awfully hard, and we all have our fingers crossed, they have been very busy.
so yes they deserve our thanks too
love m

Beth
23rd June 2010, 20:12
Had fun talking to you in the chatroom, Karl. Best wishes :)

hostingtechs
23rd June 2010, 20:15
Personally, I want to thank Rich & Gareth for doing a great job of moving us to a proper server, and then acquiring/applying the MySQL savvy required to optimize it for vBulletin 4.

What was needed all along was proper access to a proper server. Once they had it, the site got sorted in quick fashion.

Having spoken to them thru the day yesterday, I know they busted their butts to do it.
Having spoken to Rich this morning, I know his first question to the rest of the hosts was to know if it stayed fixed.

Nice to finally turn a page,

I am sorry to hear you feel this way, but hey at least you're happy now :P

And just FYI, I'd love to hear you tell our CTO that the previous server wasn't a proper server considering how much time and money out of our own pocket went into it ;)

--
Karl

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Had fun talking to you in the chatroom, Karl. Best wishes :)

You too! Thanks :)

--
Karl

harry_cdn
24th June 2010, 05:39
I am sorry to hear you feel this way, but hey at least you're happy now :P

And just FYI, I'd love to hear you tell our CTO that the previous server wasn't a proper server considering how much time and money out of our own pocket went into it ;)

c

--
Karl

¤=[Post Update]=¤

You too! Thanks :)

--
Karl

I would like to add my 2bits here. You can have a $9000 server running with 128Gb of ram and still fall apart from buggy code. Any server can be correct if tuned correctly. When you have services fighting for memory it doesn't take long for the problems to appear. For stability reasons upgrading software can at times carry a heavy penalty. This rears its head when there are many 3rd party apps attached to the body.

I should also mention that nginx is another concern. Does this software run better on Debian or Redhat or Centos etc..

Well thats my 2bits
cheers

harry_cdn
24th June 2010, 05:55
Question:

Has the move been completed? If so, are you still running nginix or apache? Also, are you still running Centos or moved to Ubuntu
cheers

hostingtechs
24th June 2010, 06:19
I would like to add my 2bits here. You can have a $9000 server running with 128Gb of ram and still fall apart from buggy code. Any server can be correct if tuned correctly. When you have services fighting for memory it doesn't take long for the problems to appear. For stability reasons upgrading software can at times carry a heavy penalty. This rears its head when there are many 3rd party apps attached to the body.
Obviously, but the issues which caused downtime and slowness were not the direct result of us making mistakes, or us being incompetent. All of our employees have been in the hosting business for at least 10 years, and we've been running our company successfully for 6 years as of July. We know what we're doing by all means, and have certifications to prove it. Every one of our employees has at least 2 forms of A+ certification, and also Cisco certification. One of our employees is also training to be a CCIE, the highest and most prestigious level of certification that is offered by Cisco. We've also managed thousands of other websites perfectly, some of which have more traffic than ProjectAvalon.

I should also mention that nginx is another concern. Does this software run better on Debian or Redhat or Centos etc..
That is more of a personal question than something you can provide a straight answer to. For example, it could easily be debated that Apache ran better on CentOS than Redhat, and vice versa too. There's really no way to measure "better" unless you're referring to just flat out uptime, in which case it's an invalid experiment because there are too many variables.

Question:
Has the move been completed? If so, are you still running nginix or apache? Also, are you still running Centos or moved to Ubuntu
cheers
Yes, they have completed the move. I do not know what web server or distro they are on for sure, but I would assume that the web server is Apache since Richard likes it so much.