PDA

View Full Version : Recursive Thinking

nomadguy
15th October 2011, 03:31
There are many reasons permaculture projects fail, one of the main ones I find is the lack of participants or knowledgeable design. Here is a proposed way I think we can "design" a solution from the beginning. I call it recursive thinking.

The designer first gives a task to the eager novice, the novice now looks to the do-er the craftsman to oversee the completion of the task and for guidance. The Craftsman then delivers the task's outcome to the contemplative person. This person provides a wide range of observation and oversight and also guidance. Then the Contemplative person delivers the task outcome back to the designer and the cycle can stop or restart for refinements.

Cheers
C...

Carmen
15th October 2011, 08:31
Nomadguy, what makes you say that permaculture systems fail? Do you have experience of this?

nomadguy
15th October 2011, 18:34
I have a few years hands on experience with my own projects.
And I have been working with others and this has come up many times, a lot of permaculture projects crash especially in the beginning of the movement, a lot of trial and error has been worked out and is continuing to be worked out.
~ More failures will happen and this is a GOOD thing. Failures lead to solutions, ~failures show us things and that may(and often does) include important discoveries.
I read an article not to long ago, (I may go and find that later on) that talked about the top 5 reasons permaculture project fail.
~or as I feel it should be stated "miss target".
I see how terming it this way could be taken in different directions.
I do mean "failure" as > off target as with a project that fell apart. For example, the first project Geoff Lawton had set upon in the Dead Sea. It went almost completely astray. Mostly from the lack of participants that are willing to make the honest effort and stick with it. The local hardships and politics are likely to blame and can pull any project of this nature off track.
What I am expressing here is a structure with a minimum of four diligent participants, you shall have success and this can be harnessed for maximum cohesion and growth by building your mode of operation "fractally".

Thanks for asking, that brings up a few pointers.~

Carmen
15th October 2011, 18:49
Yes, one would need the person with the vision and the plan who would also be hands on with the work. The other people involved in the project would have to share or agree with the plan/vision and have the passion to do the hard slog to complete the work. They would have to desire the on going result to see it through. In other words it would have to benefit them. In my limited experience it makes huge difference if the creator of the plan/vision is working with, not just giving orders to people doing the work. That's the old order of work in my opinion.