PDA

View Full Version : The nature of racism (and other "isms")

music
21st October 2011, 07:06
Being human is a lonely thing at times. We inhabit this shell, and before we awaken, we feel so isolated from everyone else. We feel we have no way of knowing what others think or feel, we find their actions confusing and unpredictable, and this is frightening to us.

The more similar another is to us - in race, gender, religion, culture, whatever - the more comfortable we feel around them. We find them more predictable than those that are different. That is why we congregate in herds and tribes, support football teams, have a political party regardless of good or bad policies, have a religion, conform to stereotypes, jump on bandwagons, are easily manipulated by propaganda.

This isolation, or more precisely, the fear it engenders, is why we have predjudice. The racist, the sexist, the sectarian, the homophobe, are driven by fear.

Countering this is the realisation that we are all one where it counts. We all want to Love, and be Loved. We all want to Love our families and our friends. We want peace and security. We want freedom.

The only road to freedom is Love.

The choice, like all things is incredibly simple: control by fear, or freedom through Love.

I Love you all, even the dangerously fearful.

Lord Sidious
21st October 2011, 07:20
Most of the ''isms'' are actually fake.
The system needs the ''isms'' to play the divide and conquer game.

music
21st October 2011, 09:47
Yes, and no. If by fake, you mean in the context of the rest of physical existence, yes they are. I suspect, though, you mean fake within physical existence. My partner suggested the word manufactured, or we would both agree on the words fostered and encouraged. I see what you are getting at, that by labelling something as an "ism", we give it an existence outside of primal fear, so in a sense create it. Once created it can be passed on. In the arena of consciousness it is well and good to make this distinction, but the fact remains, these cancers are with us, and the only way we can be rid of them is to admit to ourselves that we fear, which is something we are loathe to do.

Lord Sidious
21st October 2011, 09:52
Yes, and no. If by fake, you mean in the context of the rest of physical existence, yes they are. I suspect, though, you mean fake within physical existence. My partner suggested the word manufactured, or we would both agree on the words fostered and encouraged. I see what you are getting at, that by labelling something as an "ism", we give it an existence outside of primal fear, so in a sense create it. Once created it can be passed on. In the arena of consciousness it is well and good to make this distinction, but the fact remains, these cancers are with us, and the only way we can be rid of them is to admit to ourselves that we fear, which is something we are loathe to do.

What I mean, is that racism for example, is artificial.
If there were no system of scarcity and money, it wouldn't exist like it does, maybe not at all.

music
21st October 2011, 10:00

If there were no system of scarcity and money, it wouldn't exist like it does, maybe not at all.

The system amplifies, but does not create the failings within humanity

Lord Sidious
21st October 2011, 10:08

True enough, but most people have feelings of what the mainstream would call ''racism'' due to sharing issues.
Either natural resources or man made ones, but without this idea of scarcity = value, there wouldn't be a need to feel that you are going to miss out if someone else gets something.

music
21st October 2011, 20:19

True enough, but most people have feelings of what the mainstream would call ''racism'' due to sharing issues.
Either natural resources or man made ones, but without this idea of scarcity = value, there wouldn't be a need to feel that you are going to miss out if someone else gets something.

Thank you. We are not here to make others think the way we think - our role is to offer to others the things we have found, for them to accept or deny, as befits their journey.

Rahkyt
21st October 2011, 21:54
I am dangerously fearful, according to your conception of it here, music. But I am quite used to it by now. LOL It's funny how the ism's work. How much they are socially driven and dependent upon group approbation. People are people though, individually and it's possible to get beneath the facade and the fear if you can get to the one on one.

music
22nd October 2011, 00:06
I am dangerously fearful, according to your conception of it here, music. But I am quite used to it by now. LOL It's funny how the ism's work. How much they are socially driven and dependent upon group approbation. People are people though, individually and it's possible to get beneath the facade and the fear if you can get to the one on one.

From the things I have seen you contribute here, I would omit the dangerous part :) The danger in this respect is hate-speak, a failing to realise that we are all one. There can be no hate when we all realise we are one. In my growth, acknowledging my fear was an essential step. I don't say I am completely over it, but in respect to the glorious diversity of this existence, I beleive I am.

Lost Soul
22nd October 2011, 03:12
music - your message is very much like Jon Peniel's Children of the law of One and The Lost Teachings of Atlantis. As soul bearers, we are all descended from the Creator and are all the Creator's children. We have more in common than we have apart and it is the "isms" (or the ego's selfishness) that makes us divide into separate groups like race, nationality, class, religion and whatever other divisive mindset there is. There is an old prayer taught by Thoth, "One in all things, all things in one...." Everything on this planet including the oceans, sky, tree, mountains, minerals, water and insect are all related to us. It took me years before I realized the significance of that little prayer.

music
22nd October 2011, 19:30
music - your message is very much like Jon Peniel's Children of the law of One and The Lost Teachings of Atlantis. As soul bearers, we are all descended from the Creator and are all the Creator's children. We have more in common than we have apart and it is the "isms" (or the ego's selfishness) that makes us divide into separate groups like race, nationality, class, religion and whatever other divisive mindset there is. There is an old prayer taught by Thoth, "One in all things, all things in one...." Everything on this planet including the oceans, sky, tree, mountains, minerals, water and insect are all related to us. It took me years before I realized the significance of that little prayer.

Though the minor details differ, all spiritual traditions agree that we are one with the Divine. This is either stated directly, as here, or indirectly through the creation mythology, as, for example, in the Māori tradition.