PDA

View Full Version : Through the Wormhole: Is There an Edge to the Universe?

The One
27th October 2011, 19:58
For those who have not seen this enjoy

It is commonly theorized that the universe began with the Big Bang 13.7 billion years ago. But since we can only see as far as light has traveled in that time, we can’t actually make out the edge of the universe. Could it be that the universe is infinite? Is there any way to find out what the shape of the universe really is? Can we find the edge, discover what might lie beyond it, and perhaps even discover a universe next to ours?

Except for mathematicians and physicists, most people don’t like infinity. We like to know the extent of things. We can wrap our heads around measurements. Your car might be 10 feet long, your house is 2,000 square feet, the U.S. national debt is … well, some things are more finite than others.

But what about our universe? It’s definitely big. Just how big and what shape it is consumes much of the debate in the world of cosmology. Calling it our universe is important, because today’s most commonly accepted theory on the cosmos, string theory, says ours is but one space-time bubble among an infinite host of other parallel and bubbly universes. They cleverly call this a multiverse, and it’s way more complex than most people would ever want to know. List of all episodes here
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/through-the-wormhole/

Mhr1mEx2x-s

meeradas
27th October 2011, 22:34
[...]Could it be that the universe is infinite? Is there any way to find out what the shape of the universe really is? Can we find the edge, discover what might lie beyond it, and perhaps even discover a universe next to ours? [...]

I can clearly remember thinking about this when i was 4 yrs old, waiting to be picked up from kindergarten by Mom...

[still waiting to be picked up]

ponda
27th October 2011, 23:07
The One said:

Except for mathematicians and physicists, most people don’t like infinity. We like to know the extent of things. We can wrap our heads around measurements.

There was supposed to be this entity from another dimension channelling info and answering questions on another forum a few years back.Anyway it dragged on for a few months and he/it got constantly ridiculed but answered questions etc.I read through the thread and there were a few things that he/it said that i found very interesting.One of them was that we humans have to try to understand better " the illusion of infinity and the infinity of illusion"....interesting.

It might be possible that the Universe is finite but from our perspective it may as well be infinite.

Lord Sidious
28th October 2011, 03:58
The One said:

Except for mathematicians and physicists, most people don’t like infinity. We like to know the extent of things. We can wrap our heads around measurements.

There was supposed to be this entity from another dimension channelling info and answering questions on another forum a few years back.Anyway it dragged on for a few months and he/it got constantly ridiculed but answered questions etc.I read through the thread and there were a few things that he/it said that i found very interesting.One of them was that we humans have to try to understand better " the illusion of infinity and the infinity of illusion"....interesting.

It might be possible that the Universe is finite but from our perspective it may as well be infinite.

Like the universe pendant around the neck of the alien in the movie Men in Black?