PDA

View Full Version : Asteroid 2005 YU55 will approach Earth on November 8th, 2011 (23:28 UTC)

Marin
30th October 2011, 00:56
There are several threads here that have mentioned asteroid 2005 YU55. Some are links to other sites, some are videos and some are brief descriptions. I wanted to highlight some of the key pieces that tie some of these bits together. A "cheat sheet".... if you will. :)

Asteroid 2005 YU55 was discovered on December 28, 2005 by Robert McMillan of the Spacewatch Program near Tucson Arizona. It is a relatively large 400 meter, C-type asteroid. The closest approach to Earth will be on November 8, 2011 at 23:28 UTC at 0.00217 AU and the closest approach to the moon will be on November 9th at 07:13 UTC at 0.00160 AU.

Translation: It will pass Earth at a distance of ~ 200,000 miles just before the early hours of November 9th, 2011. Further translation: It will come closer than the moon’s distance from Earth.

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/images/2005_YU55_approach_movie.gif

NASA link:

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news171.html

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=2005%20YU55;orb=1;cov=0;log=0;cad=1# cad

According to NASA’s Near Earth Object Program:

"Although classified as a potentially hazardous object, 2005 YU55 poses no threat of an Earth collision over at least the next 100 years. However, this will be the closest approach to date by an object this large that we know about in advance and an event of this type will not happen again until 2028 when asteroid (153814) 2001 WN5 will pass to within 0.6 lunar distances."

Around the same time:

On November 9th, 2011 the federal authorities are going to shut off all radio and communications simultaneously at 2:00PM EST to complete the first ever test of the national Emergency Alert System (EAS). The nationwide EAS Test will be conducted jointly by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) National Weather Service (NWS).

Has there ever been an activation of the national-level EAS?

"Although the EAS is frequently used by State and local governments to send weather alerts and other emergencies, there has never been a national activation of the system. The purpose of the November 9, 2011 Test is to assess the readiness and effectiveness of the current system and identify incremental improvements to better serve our communities in the preservation of life and property."

Why test the national-level EAS?

"FCC’s Part 11 Rules require EAS Participants to regularly test the system on a weekly and monthly basis, called required monthly and required weekly tests. Although the EAS has been in existence for over 15 years, a nationwide test of the system has never occurred. FEMA and federal partners are working with the EAS Community to assess if the national-level system will work as designed should officials ever need to send a national alert. A simultaneous test can provide an accurate picture of the current state of the system and the improvements necessary for a more reliable and resilient EAS."

The upcoming test is posted on the Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau website:

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/emergency-alert-system-nationwide-test

Additional information can be found here:

http://www.fema.gov/emergency/ipaws/eas_info.shtm

Also, around the same time:

Published on 20/05/11, UNESCO's (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission Technical Series has scheduled a tsunami exercise called PacWave11. It will be held on 9-10 November 2011 as a multi-scenario exercise that will allow PTWS (Pacific Tsunami Warning Center) countries to exercise using a destructive local or regional tsunami scenario. PacWave 11 will also be used to introduce new tsunami advisory products of the PTWC. The aim of the PacWave11 is to improve local and regional source tsunami warning and response capability in the Pacific.

http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0021/002114/211498e.pdf

http://itic.ioc-unesco.org/images/stories/tsunami_exercises/international_exercises/kamchatka_ttt_ptsrc_2m.jpg

panopticon
30th October 2011, 03:44
G'day Marin L,

I was not aware that the predicted diameter of 2005 YU55 had doubled.
Thanks for that.

Another interesting site that is relevant to this thread is the 'Impact: Earth! (http://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/)' program that is:

an easy-to-use, interactive web site for estimating the regional environmental consequences of an impact on Earth. This program will estimate the ejecta distribution, ground shaking, atmospheric blast wave, and thermal effects of an impact as well as the size of the crater produced.

The non-flash version (called 'Earth Impact Effects Program') is available here:
http://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/ImpactEffects/

The Flash version is available at Purdue:
http://www.purdue.edu/impactearth

I advise using the first, or just looking at the information to do with the input parameters, before using the second.

The coincidence of having a number of drills on the day of a "near miss" is interesting.
I could natter on for hours about "exercises" being used throughout history for preparation, cover-up and increased anxiety but it would be off-topic.

Thank you for the interesting thread and condensed information.

Kind Regards, :yo:
Panopticon

eric charles
1st November 2011, 15:15
Man , they are preparing for something , and Something big ! if JPL Nasa et al , have this all over there website and not directly talking about it , With the warnings the NASA secretary did , and the underground bases , WTF does this culminate to , what is the final end plan , the final game plan , why all the tests , drills for ? Certainly not for nothing

Maybe i am jumpin at a wild conclusion here but maybe theve know this for 50 years or more or so ago , and are going to tell us at the last minute , wich wouldnt surpirse me for one damn second ,
but think about it , WHY ?? !!!????? its frustrating , very frustrating in the least

Unified Serenity
1st November 2011, 15:43
And of course we have the pretty old and pretty new $50.00 bills and $10.00 showing the Hoover dam in tact, then Hoover dam busting and a large tsunami coming over a building in respective order of said bills. Here's the pics... think it's all just a coincidence? maybe maybe not.... we'll find out one way or the other.

13th Warrior
1st November 2011, 16:17
-UNtT5H8r44

RMorgan
1st November 2011, 16:26
I have a friend who has a big badass telescope. I´ll check with him if it will be possible to watch this comet from south-america. It will be pretty nice to watch this big guy coming and going...

13th Warrior
1st November 2011, 16:28
I have a friend who has a big badass telescope. I´ll check with him if it will be possible to watch this comet from south-america. It will be pretty nice to watch this big guy coming and going...

It should be visible from both South and North America; the color is reported to be that of dark charcoal so it may be hard to pick up plus it will be tracking across the sky at a pretty good rate so, you will have to be able to pan the scope smoothly to track it.

RMorgan
1st November 2011, 16:32

It should be visible from both South and North America; the color is reported to be that of dark charcoal so it may be hard to pick up plus it will be tracking across the sky at a pretty good rate so, you will have to be able to pan the scope smoothly to track it.

Thanks! I guess there will be no problem tracking it, since his telescope is very fancy. I´ll see if I can manage to record it as well! :)

Marin
1st November 2011, 18:52
G'day Marin L, I was not aware that the predicted diameter of 2005 YU55 had doubled. Thanks for that.

Yes, the diameter of the asteroid has doubled. Here are the stats:
Initial size of 2005 YU55: 585 feet (178 meters)
Recent size of 2005 YU55: 1300 feet wide (396 meters)

-UNtT5H8r44

I think this video brings up some very interesting points.

"When you increase the size, you increase gravitational pull between objects such as the earth and the moon and YU55. Just as a sun diving comet can approach the sun and the sun alter it's path... the earth's gravity and the moon's gravity can also alter the path."

"Things are starting to point to a direction.....and I'm not saying this is a panic situation, please don't think that, but it has caught my attention and I think everyone needs to be aware of this."

The video goes on to suggest that we participate in a live online chat taking place on November 3rd. I've listed the information below.

----------------------------------------------------
From the National Science Foundation Website:
You are invited to participate in a live online chat this Thursday from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. EDT with two eminent astronomers from the National Science Foundation (NSF) and NASA, who will discuss a large asteroid that will approach close to Earth on Nov. 8, 2011 and the science of such near-Earth asteroids.

The chat is sponsored by ScienceNOW, the daily news site of the journal Science. To participate, go to ScienceNow's website on November 3 at 3 p.m. EDT and submit questions to:

Scott Fisher: A program director in the Division of Astronomical Sciences at the National Science Foundation and a staff scientist at the Gemini Observatory--a large international observatory with eight-meter telescopes located in Hawaii and Chile--where he researches planet formation.
Donald K. Yeomans: A scientific investigator on NASA's Deep Impact mission that successfully impacted comet Tempel 1 in July 2005, and a senior research scientist at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, where he contributes to predictions of future close Earth approaches and impacts by comets and asteroids.
The November 3 chat about asteroid 2005 YU55 and other near-Earth objects provides an ideal opportunity to ask experts about these and other topics:

What is currently known about the 2005 YU55's size, shape, orbit and origins?
What are the real dangers potentially posed by asteroids and comets vs. threats hyped by doomsayers?
What is the likelihood that 2005 YU55 will ever crash into the Earth?
When and where is the best place to view 2005 YU55?
How are scientists currently tracking comets and asteroids that may impact the Earth?
What types of additional information are scientists likely to learn about 2005 YU55 and asteroids in general via radar, visual and infrared monitoring of the asteroid during its close approach to Earth?
The live online chat on 2055 YU55 is part of the journal Science'sweekly series of chats on the hottest topics in science held every Thursday at 3 p.m. EDT.

-NSF-

---------------------------------------------------

The video is asking that we sign up for this chat and ask them... "does this have anything to do with the UNESCO drill? We need to bring attention to these two events. I'm not saying that anything is going to happen. I'm saying, because of the way UNESCO is handling this, there's going to be a lot of panic. ...... From what I've heard, not everyone is going to get the same message about the drill. It's almost like a panic test by our government to see how certain people react."

"Please bring public awareness to that drill taking place on that day.... so they (the public) don't panic. I don't think this is just about YU55. We need to bring a "presence" to the situation....I think this test is directed more at testing the public's panic than a tsunami drill. YU55 is becoming very suspicious. Doubling the size now. Come on guys...NASA is not that stupid."

Isn't it interesting that a tsunami drill is taking place around the same time that many will be tapping into "positive energy potentials" on 11-11-11?

Sidney
1st November 2011, 18:58
You would have to be a stupid idiot to think it only a coincidence that they "test" all radio communication simultaneously, when an astroid is coming that close to the earth. Of course, the very fact that its highly advertised that they are doing it could just be more fear mongering.

math330
1st November 2011, 20:46
You would have to be a stupid idiot to think it only a coincidence that they "test" all radio communication simultaneously

Guess we'll find out in a few days, eh? :)
Could easily be coincidence, could just as easily be scare-mongering.

lake
1st November 2011, 22:05
Right, just came back from the pub. No read on! ;)

Have just moved and no one knows me but the people are starting to talk to me.

Tonight discussed YU55 and the tests which are being done by USA and others on the 9th.
This one chap which I have come to know, turned round an said that his firm is also doing a training day on the 9th.
They have to from tomorrow begin to set up for this.
The test is for emergency situations.

He was due to have the 9th off, but now he has been told that he cant?

The main test will be done on the 9th, with all things in place, as he is told.
It is a national emergency test he has been told!!!!

The firm which he works for is MBDA Missile Systems.

http://www.armedforces.co.uk/companies/raq3f72f4544fb0f

This is a huge firm.
Most of the missiles used in Libya were made by this firm!
This he stated but he is only on the first ladder of this firm.

Sidney
1st November 2011, 22:26
Right, just came back from the pub. No read on! ;)

Have just moved and no one knows me but the people are starting to talk to me.

Tonight discussed YU55 and the tests which are being done by USA and others on the 9th.
This one chap which I have come to know, turned round an said that his firm is also doing a training day on the 9th.
They have to from tomorrow begin to set up for this.
The test is for emergency situations.

He was due to have the 9th off, but now he has been told that he cant?

The main test will be done on the 9th, with all things in place, as he is told.
It is a national emergency test he has been told!!!!

The firm which he works for is MBDA Missile Systems.

http://www.armedforces.co.uk/companies/raq3f72f4544fb0f

This is a huge firm.
Most of the missiles used in Libya were made by this firm!
This he stated but he is only on the first ladder of this firm.

very interesting...one more hmmmmph:mmph:

Wind
1st November 2011, 22:50
I wonder if this is Elenin all over again...

But then again, the date is very close to 11.11.11

math330
2nd November 2011, 08:14
But then - 11.11.11 is just another number as well!

My bets are on this scenario being Elenin V.2... there are an awful lot of well informed, smart people on this forum distracted by nonsense while the powers continue to commit atrocities under our noses. Banking frauds and redirection of wealth, genocide in Palestine, the US invasion of Africa etc etc - all true, documented and happening right now. Though, in saying that, the National Emergency Tests are really suspicious and it's got me questioning the story. Still, if it happens it happens. Not much we can do about an asteroid is there?

Dear Intelligence services, if you're reading (and we know you are) - you're getting awfully good at misleading us all. But not forever ;)

Etherios
2nd November 2011, 12:00
I think Elenin "show" was to hide / divert our focus. Maybe they were trying to hide this Asteroid or something we still dont know yet.

Its weird how Elenin got sooo much coverage and 2005 yu55 that was traveling along didnt get any... there are no coincidences remember?

too many things happening next week. This is going to be exiting ... or not (like 28/11/11)

eric charles
2nd November 2011, 12:07
But then - 11.11.11 is just another number as well!

My bets are on this scenario being Elenin V.2... there are an awful lot of well informed, smart people on this forum distracted by nonsense while the powers continue to commit atrocities under our noses. Banking frauds and redirection of wealth, genocide in Palestine, the US invasion of Africa etc etc - all true, documented and happening right now. Though, in saying that, the National Emergency Tests are really suspicious and it's got me questioning the story. Still, if it happens it happens. Not much we can do about an asteroid is there?

Dear Intelligence services, if you're reading (and we know you are) - you're getting awfully good at misleading us all. But not forever ;)

We know we are being distracted Math , but to what end is the big question ? We know the wars , the Greek bailouts and a wide array of Atrocities are going on , what we try and do here is focus on them all and try and inform ourselves the best we can . This Asteroid is a given fact also , not to be ignored in my opinion

Marin
3rd November 2011, 06:44
Half truths and disinformation permeate our environment. What can we do? Be informed. Share details.

As far as I can tell....this asteroid is coming. In less than a week. There has been little information on YU55 until recently.

As the video highlighted:
"We need to bring attention to these two events. I'm not saying that anything is going to happen. I'm saying, because of the way UNESCO is handling this, there's going to be a lot of panic. From what I've heard, not everyone is going to get the same message about the drill. It's almost like a panic test by our government to see how certain people react."

I don't think any of us can predict the events or non events in the coming weeks. We can, however, ask questions and compare notes.

Ilie Pandia
3rd November 2011, 15:29
This thread was closed by mistake. Is now back open again. Thanks for notifying us! (A closed thread without a close note is most likely a click gone wrong...)

Marin
5th November 2011, 04:15
Update on the online chat that took place on Thursday, November 3rd at 3 p.m. The chat was sponsored by ScienceNOW, the daily news site of the journal Science.

Two astronomers from the National Science Foundation (NSF) and NASA answered questions about YU55. Scott Fisher: A program director in the Division of Astronomical Sciences at the National Science Foundation and a staff scientist at the Gemini Observatory located in Hawaii and Chile and Donald K. Yeomans: A scientific investigator on NASA's Deep Impact mission and a senior research scientist at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

The Q&A from that discussion is presented here:
http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/11/live-chat-the-asteroids-are-comi.html

nearing
5th November 2011, 05:22
Update on the online chat that took place on Thursday, November 3rd at 3 p.m. The chat was sponsored by ScienceNOW, the daily news site of the journal Science.

Two astronomers from the National Science Foundation (NSF) and NASA answered questions. Scott Fisher: A program director in the Division of Astronomical Sciences at the National Science Foundation and a staff scientist at the Gemini Observatory located in Hawaii and Chile and Donald K. Yeomans: A scientific investigator on NASA's Deep Impact mission and a senior research scientist at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

The Q&A from that discussion is presented here:
http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2011/11/live-chat-the-asteroids-are-comi.html

Marin, sure looks like quite few people were frustrated by the lack of forthcoming answers to their questions. They wouldn't answer about the speed of the thing as well as a connection to the EAS drill. Sad and telling.

jcocks
5th November 2011, 07:25
I hope the dreams I have been having are right.

If so, this is merely the start of a transformational change for us over the coming years (I mean in earnest - it's already been happening, but you ain't seen nuthin' yet!). . We have nothing to fear from the Asteroid, but it *WILL* put on a show that won't be easy to ignore. Much uncertainty though, as the rate of change accellerates ever faster...

panopticon
8th November 2011, 13:56
NASA Asteroid Q&A November 1, 2011.

2_79f4rC3Ic
Very interesting presentation and explanation of how observations are arrived at.

NASA scientists will have a unique observing opportunity with asteroid 2005 YU55, as the space rock safely flies past Earth at a distance slightly closer than the moon on Nov. 8, 2011.

At the point of closest approach, the asteroid will be no closer than 201,700 miles (324,600 kilometers). The gravitational influence of the asteroid will have no detectable effect on anything here on Earth, including our planet’s tides or tectonic plates. Although 2005 YU55 is in an orbit that regularly brings it to the vicinity of Earth, the 2011 encounter with Earth is the closest this space rock has come for at least the last 200 years.

During the close flyby, scientists will use the massive 70-meter Deep Space Network antenna to study the asteroid.

A live broadcast and chat from NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., will allow viewers to ask questions of scientists with NASA's Near-Earth Object Program Office about asteroid YU55, and find out how NASA discovers, tracks and characterizes asteroids and comets.

Participants include:
-- Don Yeomans, manager, NASA's Near-Earth Object Office at JPL
-- Marina Brozovic, scientist, NASA’s Near-Earth Object Office at JPL

More information about NASA's Near-Earth Object Program Office is available at: http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/

Original Stream and quoted text from: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/18250783

Kind Regards, :yo:
Panopticon

Ammit
8th November 2011, 16:29
Seeing as this Asteroid is passing the earth tonight (according to the news), and seeing as it is raining here in south uk, I hope someone with a nice camcorder can capture it as it passes....

Please...:flame::hail::hail::hail::hail:

Etherios
8th November 2011, 16:55
Seeing as this Asteroid is passing the earth tonight (according to the news), and seeing as it is raining here in south uk, I hope someone with a nice camcorder can capture it as it passes....

Please...:flame::hail::hail::hail::hail:

Yes i would love it if we get the asteroid recorded as it passes ... hits or not it would make a great video to watch. And i still wish nothing happens ...

Ilie Pandia
8th November 2011, 17:27
I am pretty sure we will get an avalanche of YouTube videos, most of them with exaggerated claims and strange connections and predictions attached to it :biggrin:

I realize that the expectations are pretty high, but I seriously doubt anything unusual will happen other than a big rock flying past us at a great distance.

Ammit
8th November 2011, 18:22
Yeah, the big rock flying past is what I would love to see if anyone records it, besides, I am a believer that nothing will happen, maybe get windy as it shoots past, lmao