PDA

View Full Version : Belgian skies - look up now!

Violet
30th October 2011, 23:07
Ok, so I was in the bathroom just a few minutes ago and noticed something that looked like faraway firy flares through the window.

I thought some fire had broken out nearby because it's so bright and it's midnight now but upon looking through the window no such thing happens to be the case.

High up the sky some orange light is brooding. Looks very strange. As if the sun is trying to get through from very far but I don't think it's the sun because the sun is far brighter than this and b) the sun is supposed to come up the other way in just a few hours from now.

There's no smoke, it's coming from higher up and there are no devices to be seen. The light goes from strong to weak and back again.

Anybody have an idea what this is?

https://vid.me/csPw

shadowstalker
30th October 2011, 23:10
wow its a shame your not taking pix

Violet
30th October 2011, 23:12
It's too dark and the only window I can see it from is the bathroom window which won't open...

WhiteFeather
30th October 2011, 23:13
The Aurora Borealis Quite Possibly. Which part of the globe do you reside?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3171/3010810951_7fec2bed7b.jpg

shadowstalker
30th October 2011, 23:15
It's too dark and the only window I can see it from is the bathroom window which won't open...

Sorry about that then:(

WhiteFeather
30th October 2011, 23:20
Give This A Shot OP!
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/tom.eklund/aurora_tiedostot/auroralinks.html

Violet
30th October 2011, 23:28
I made a vid - way too dark - and I'm trying to get it online. There are no colours just misty orange, so I dunno about aurora borrealis. Northern hemisphere.

Ellisa
30th October 2011, 23:37
It could be the aurora borealis. You are in the right hemisphere. The one in the south is Aurora Australis.

Violet
30th October 2011, 23:41
Even if orange is the only colour I can spot?

Violet
31st October 2011, 22:25
Okay, link seems to work now. But again, very bad video quality, I know.

NeverMind
31st October 2011, 22:44
Have you asked the meteorological service about it?
I am sure they would know.

Lettherebelight
31st October 2011, 23:33
It looked like an eye in the sky...

Lifebringer
1st November 2011, 00:07
If you google.com/sky and type in mars you can see Nibiru with it's bright blue core and surrounding black frame.

Lot bigger than when it was by mercury. Must be closer now and you have to use the infrared to see it, but man it's there!

:eyebrows:

dAkapacity
1st November 2011, 00:10
Hey Violet,

In what part of the country did you see this? Gent, A'pen, Bruselas, ...? Was it seen in the north, south, east, west, northeast, ...

I live in Antwerp city and haven't heard or seen about it. Has it happened more than once? Do you know of other people having witnessed it?

And maybe a less obvious question: how did it make you feel?

Kudos,

xdA.

dAkapacity
1st November 2011, 00:50
I don't know if there's any connection, but it's valuable info as well ;-)

Apparantly it's possible to create man made Aurora A's or B's. Here's how they do it:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100608092104.htm

This is a video from another PA-thread. Rosalind Peterson talks about night clouding and how auroras can be made using barium (at 28:45).

player_embe

xxdA.

NeverMind
1st November 2011, 23:59
Any news on this?
What did the meteo service say?

Violet
2nd November 2011, 16:38
I've tried to contact the Royal Meteorological Institute (http://www.meteo.be/meteo/view/nl/652764-Klimatologische+inlichtingen+per+mailfaxpost.html) but the service I want appears to not be free.

I'm honestly not willing to pay for this information. I don't even know how much they will charge, if they have an answer at all.

Secondly, I've been told by a friend to be careful in my judgements of what I saw, as there's a harbour, though very far away from the point from where I saw the light.

I know that some harbours make use of a very large flame, but isn't that a constant flame. I should be seeing that everyday then, right? Or do harbours just light a flame on a very irregular occasion? And if so, when?

I checked every night since this observation but it's remained dark ever since. I will continue to monitor this and see if it comes back.

I like my participation here to remain anonymous so giving away exact coördinates for this event is not possible.

How did I feel? I felt like it was something big. Not normal, and I'm usually very sceptic about these things. In the sense that: "there's a logical explanation for everthing." I also felt a wave of respect (don't ask me why) and humbleness. How little we are indeed.

Additionally, if it was coming from the ground (fire, flame, any other human source,...) the light should have been climbing in a continuous line from the ground to the skies. But what I saw was just light appearing in the middle of nowhere in the sky. There seemed to be no link with the ground. That's what made it seem odd to me.

What more? Let's see, I felt great peace at the thought that - you never know - this reallt might be the end. Like, finally, it's over. Amazingly, no panic, no fear, just peace and sorry for all those people who were not looking through their window.

Even if after a while I would appear to be wrong about this observation, I would still be very grateful for the sensation experienced while observing it.

That night I dreamt about it too. I dreamt that the observed light gradually tainted that specific side of the city and it became impossible to visit it without risk. A bridge was constructed thereto because also the streets had been affected by the light.

And I was walking this bridge looking at the light in that part of the city and it revealed the moon. The moon had fallen down? :biggrin1: Oh, well. I do appreciate cool dreams too.

shadowstalker
2nd November 2011, 16:44
Nice catch with the video, ya I can only see orange

NeverMind
2nd November 2011, 18:10
I've tried to contact the Royal Meteorological Institute but the service I want appears to not be free.

What? Shame on them! No offence intended, but honestly.... They are going to charge for a "yes" or "no" answer to a question whether there was an aurora over the city?
(I remember, when I was little, my mum called the meteo service when the entire neighbourhood saw what was clearly not a readily identifiable flying object, and the man said that, no, "it is not a weather balloon, and we are watching it ourselves." Nice man. :))

From the video it looks like a fire. But a fire that big would have been reported, and mapped on the Havaria website (they can be very quick!).

Anyway, good luck with finding out what it was.
And do let us know.

Dick
2nd November 2011, 19:39
Hi Violet, i think i may have an answer.
Go to spaceweather.com and on the right just below top on the page you see archives, you can view the page from 31 oct. And i think thats what you saw.

Dick.

It could be seen in europe and america.

13th Warrior
2nd November 2011, 19:46
The orange glow is at the horizon, right?

I don't think that it was Northern Lights; i would guess a large fire or similar...

Violet
2nd November 2011, 21:11
I've tried to contact the Royal Meteorological Institute but the service I want appears to not be free.

What? Shame on them! No offence intended, but honestly.... They are going to charge for a "yes" or "no" answer to a question whether there was an aurora over the city?
(I remember, when I was little, my mum called the meteo service when the entire neighbourhood saw what was clearly not a readily identifiable flying object, and the man said that, no, "it is not a weather balloon, and we are watching it ourselves." Nice man. :))

From the video it looks like a fire. But a fire that big would have been reported, and mapped on the Havaria website (they can be very quick!).

Anyway, good luck with finding out what it was.
And do let us know.

I'm not sure about aurora. My question would have been for any deviating events around midnight 30/10/11 and 31/10/11.

The reason I'm doubting the aurora theory (next to potential harbour light) is that the light has a very constant fluctuation, and mono-colour of course.

Violet
2nd November 2011, 21:14

I don't think that it was Northern Lights; i would guess a large fire or similar...

No, it started above the city buildings, and that's why I excluded fire earlier.

FurryFatCat
2nd November 2011, 22:26
Hello Violet

Am glad I just found your post, as I to saw an orange sky around 29/30th October. On certain nights when I' ve been on the internet I go outside to clear my head.
Sometimes I take my binocculars out to have a good look at the stars. On this particular night I was very surprised and slightly freaked out by what I saw, even thinking
that my eyes where playing tricks on me. I could clearly see an orange sky even though it was dark. I did tell my husband the next day, but thought no more about it.
I live in the south of England right by the sea, and have no explanation for it. My feeling or perception was, is this a reflection of the sun? :o

We live in interesting times.........

NeverMind
2nd November 2011, 23:19

:)

The reason why I am quoting these precise words, instead of other similar doubts - and I myself did not think it was an aurora (it looked like a fire to me) - is that these words suddenly triggered what I - sooo NOT an expert on any sort of aurorae - was trying to remember....
My great uncle's journal.
He, a teenager back then, used almost verbatim the same words that you used, to describe the famous aurora that was seen across Europe in late January 1938. As did millions of other people, if the books I have are anything to go by. It was red red red, no other colours were present; it looked like a fire. I heard from other people that people were going crazy everywhere because each one thought that the next village or city was burning up.

If I weren't so busy right now - just having a coffee break - I would find some good article about it, but if you search for aurora of 1938 or something like that, it should be easy enough to find. (It's the sifting through the results that takes time.)

RedeZra
3rd November 2011, 06:57
He, a teenager back then, used almost verbatim the same words that you used, to describe the famous aurora that was seen across Europe in late January 1938. As did millions of other people, if the books I have are anything to go by. It was red red red, no other colours were present; it looked like a fire. I heard from other people that people were going crazy everywhere because each one thought that the next village or city was burning up.

the blood red aurora of 38 has a legend to it

a supernatural one

with the Marian apparitions in Fatima 1917

"When you see a night illumined by an unknown light, know that it is the great sign given you by God that He is about to punish the world for its crimes, by means of war, famine, and persecutions against the Church and the Holy Father..." - Mary Mother of God ?!

perhaps Hitler himself watched this fierce spectacle in the skies as a sign from heaven

as he abolished the War Ministry 10 days later and annexed Austria in March

Hitler declared in his speach to the Reichstag on January 30 1939 that he had decided on the invasion of Austria in January of 1938

to further complicate the workings of the world

the Marian apparition also warned that this war could be stopped simply by converting communist Russia to Her Immaculate Heart by an effort of cooperation from the Pope Cardinals and Bishops i guess

"...To prevent this, I shall come to ask for the Consecration of Russia to my Immaculate Heart, and the Communion of reparation on the First Saturdays. If my requests are heeded, Russia will be converted, and there will be peace; if not, she will spread her errors throughout the world, causing wars and persecutions of the Church." - Mary Mother of God ?!

the world was not spared the horrors of WW II

perhaps the Church knew better

but when the world shuts it's sight and ear to heaven

then the world is on it's own

and we all know men make mistakes

Stalin wanted a Red Europe

and after Britain France and Germany had fought it out on the West front

he would roll in with his Red Army from the East to the West

Hitler intercepted this in july 41 by a preemptive strike on the huge Russian border build up

and perhaps saved half of Europe from Red Russia

NeverMind
3rd November 2011, 10:47
Hello, RedeZra --

yes, the "red aurora" somehow has been connected to the Fatima apparitions. I did a quick search using Google (I usually use Bing or GoodSearch), and noticed that the very first result was Fatima-related. That was a surprise.

Most of all, though --if we are talking "folklore" :-) -- the red aurora of 1938 was a widely frightening sight because it was thought by people to announce a war, which, of course, you also mentioned.
(Aurora or not, less than two months later Germany annexed Austria, and the stage was set for the occupation of Czechoslovakia and what followed soon afterwards.)

Anyway, it seems doubtful that what Violet and maybe the poster from the south of England (FurryFatCat) saw was an aurora, because surely it would have been observed by many more people.

But I wanted to point out that purely red/orange auroras, strongly resembling a huge fire, do exist. They are rare, but they do exist.

P.S. Finally I have found my photocopy of my great uncle's journal.
I have translated a snippet. Just for fun. :-)

January 25 [1938], 23:12

I was in bed but mama came a few minutes ago and told me to come quick and have a look.
There is a marvelous sight outside, the likes of which I have never seen. There was fog before, but now the entire sky has turned red.

My papa says it must be some type of northern lights, but I would have never guessed that, I would have thought it was a huge fire.
The light is moving but not wildly, more like a reflection of a distant fire. A fire like that would mean the entire city is burning.
We did hear the firemen's sirens earlier on, lots of them, but people who have returned from the city centre say there is no fire aynwhere.
It is quite funny to look around the neighbourhood. It looks like New Year's eve because many windows are lit and all the people are peeping through th windows and many have gathered on the street.

M. [probably the housekeeper] said this bodes no good.
My papa said it was the northern lights.

Violet
3rd November 2011, 13:37
Thanks, NeverMind

What a beautiful contribution.

Your uncle wrote the light moved. I wonder how the light moved back then. Here too you can see the light move from dim to bright, dim to bright and in a very regular pattern...almost too regular to be a natural phenomenon, I keep telling myself.

In my case all people's house lights were dimmed. As if nobody noticed it...Either that, or they were looking in the dark.

NeverMind
3rd November 2011, 15:45
I am glad you liked it, Violet. Thanks. :-)
(I keep thinking about my great uncle - how the poor lad never would have imagined that his words scribbled on that night would be read, more than 70 years later, by who knows how many people around the world! I feel slightly guilty... but I am sure in this case he wouldn't mind. :-))

In the books I have, the movement of that aurora is described as rather "typical" of aurorae. When I have some time, I'll try and find some good article about that particular aurora (unless some else finds it first. :-))

Bryn ap Gwilym
3rd November 2011, 16:11
The light looks to me that it's from a flare stack. depending on the weather conditions etc, the flares can illuminate the sky in such a way. Hence why folk don't usually notice it.

I'm interested in what was the noise was.

dAkapacity
4th November 2011, 00:52
Hi Violet,

I used to live on the Left Bank of Antwerp (Linkeroever) in an appartment building, 8 heigh. At times you could see the distant skies lit up by fire which came from the giant chimneys of oil refineries in the harbor. The intensity of it also depends on the weather. Even though I did know about it, I sometimes doubted if there wasn't a giant fire going on over there. As you described (and thank you for sharing your feelings about it), it felt threatening, but soothing in a funny way as well (maybe it's the familiar pulsing yellowish-red color that quiets one down...). I'm not sure, but you described there to be a harbor... So my 2 eurocents tell me you will see it again. Have you also asked people a couple of kms closer to the event? You might get some answers there? Or more questions, bien sur...

Dixit Violet:

"And I was walking this bridge looking at the light in that part of the city and it revealed the moon. The moon had fallen down? Oh, well. I do appreciate cool dreams too."

So could you tell if the moon was a giant unnatural object? :madgrin:

xxdA.

GlassSteagallfan
4th November 2011, 03:13
After contacting Mork from Ork, he said it was just aliens having a cookout featuring bankster-ka-bobs

Violet
4th November 2011, 21:39
The light looks to me that it's from a flare stack. depending on the weather conditions etc, the flares can illuminate the sky in such a way. Hence why folk don't usually notice it.

I'm interested in what was the noise was.

The noise are just cars.

Violet
4th November 2011, 21:44
Hi Violet,

I used to live on the Left Bank of Antwerp (Linkeroever) in an appartment building, 8 heigh. At times you could see the distant skies lit up by fire which came from the giant chimneys of oil refineries in the harbor. The intensity of it also depends on the weather. Even though I did know about it, I sometimes doubted if there wasn't a giant fire going on over there. As you described (and thank you for sharing your feelings about it), it felt threatening, but soothing in a funny way as well (maybe it's the familiar pulsing yellowish-red color that quiets one down...). I'm not sure, but you described there to be a harbor... So my 2 eurocents tell me you will see it again. Have you also asked people a couple of kms closer to the event? You might get some answers there? Or more questions, bien sur...

Dixit Violet:

"And I was walking this bridge looking at the light in that part of the city and it revealed the moon. The moon had fallen down? Oh, well. I do appreciate cool dreams too."

So could you tell if the moon was a giant unnatural object? :madgrin:

xxdA.

Well, that's the boggling thing about it. A friend of mine said that it might have something to do with a harbour that is not at all nearby (!) and so in that case it should be recurrent...It hasn't reappeared yet...

The moon was very beautiful lying on the ground. It was glowing with silvery white light and so inviting. Did not look unnatural, gigantic yes.

NeverMind
4th November 2011, 21:58
Just adding another bit of weirdness as a possibility.

Red glow over Minnesota (http://projectavalon.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11298)

I doubt very much it was this, but it's good to know that all sorts of phenomena can occur.

What baffles me that that yours does not seem to have reported by many more people.
Judging by the video, it was quite striking.

Violet
4th November 2011, 22:40
Wow, what a nice shot.

I haven't found anything in the news about it either.

Violet
9th August 2012, 13:33
Just a quick update: never seen anything like it ever since.

It was a one-time event.

Flash
9th August 2012, 19:49
Yes, Northern lights can be orange only, sometimes just white (if in the Southern part of the nothern hemisphere). I bet this is it, Belgium is north enough for the southern appearances if there were a good sun strom a few days ago.

freespirit
10th August 2012, 16:16
http://thewatchers.adorraeli.com/2012/08/08/nuclear-reactor-belgium-shut-due-suspicion-cracked-component/

Just a thought ?

Violet
10th August 2012, 18:07
Can you believe that only a minority of the local press just started communicating this like a couple of hours ago?

And they're not even labelling it cracks or whatever. The general headlines are Europe's concerns about safety and future investigations.

I mean, if there's anomalies, just name it anomaly...At least people get the chance to move before it's too late.