PDA

View Full Version : Chernobyl Heart

The One
2nd November 2011, 21:07
On April 26, 1986, the worst nuclear accident in history occurred when a reactor exploded at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in Ukraine, releasing 90 times the radioactivity of the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Sixteen years later, award-winning filmmaker Maryann De Leo took her camera to ground zero, following the devastating trail radiation leaves behind in hospitals, orphanages, mental asylums and evacuated villages. The Academy Award®-winning documentary short debuts immediately after the America Undercover special “Indian Point: Imagining the Unimaginable”.

Following Adi Roche, founder of Ireland’s Chernobyl Children’s Project, CHERNOBYL HEART opens in the exclusion zone, the most radioactive environment on earth. From there, Roche travels to Belarus, home to many of the children she seeks to aid. The film reveals those hardest hit by radiation, including thyroid cancer patients and children suffering from unfathomable congenital birth and heart defects.

Despite the fact that 99% of Belarus is contaminated with radioactive material, many people refuse to leave their homes behind. Asked why he would not move, the father of a radiation victim replies, “To leave the motherland where you were born and raised, where your soul is connected to the earth – I would not want to. To move to a new place is difficult, especially in terms of a job in Belarus and abroad.”

In Belarus, only 15-20% of babies are born healthy. Roche comforts children who are born with multiple holes in their heart, a condition known in Belarus as “Chernobyl heart.” A lucky few will have their heart problems fixed by Dr. William Novick, who heads the International Children’s Heart Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to helping children with congenital or acquired heart disease in developing countries throughout the world. After saving the life of a young girl suffering from Chernobyl heart and being humbled by her parents’ gratitude, Dr. Novick affirms, “I appreciate this is a bit of a miracle for them…but we have a certain responsibility to these kids

Nuclear power must stop now

Simonm
3rd November 2011, 11:17
With all due respect, I disagree. Yes, if a problem occurs at a nuclear facility then the outcome may be catastrophic. However, there is no other form of energy cleaner that Nuclear. Free energy aside here for a moment. The world has to combat pollutants from usual coal / gas fired power stations and the only viable option is a new nuclear program. Those conditions you report on are horrible, but considering the cleanup of the affected area of chernobyl was minimal, to say the least, it's hardly surprising that these conditions to date are still in effect. Had the Russian authorities done a better job at the time then these congenital issues would be very minimal now. All they did was move people from the area and shut it down. Now, consider Japan and it's 3 of 4 reactors that went into meltdown. Massive massive cleanup operations, constant spraying etc. Still a crappy outcome, but even now, a millions times better than chernobyl.

If free energy is practical then that's the only other solution. Still, until such time as a trial is conducted and allowed to be rolled out across the world, then nuclear is the only way forward. We have learned so much in recent years as to safety.

The One
3rd November 2011, 11:35
then nuclear is the only way forward. We have learned so much in recent years as to safety

Could not disagree more and thats all i am going to say on the matter

Simonm
3rd November 2011, 11:42
then nuclear is the only way forward. We have learned so much in recent years as to safety

Could not disagree more and thats all i am going to say on the matter

Thats a shame. Im not looking for an argument, far from it. It's just that I have been reading a lot at the moment on climate change an the alternative fuels. Thanks anyway.

jcocks
3rd November 2011, 14:52
It's a tough call... On the one hand I'm kinda all for nuclear power as it is the cleanest form of energy out there in a way (but it could also be said that it is the dirtiest as what other energy source can be said to have pollution (if you want to call nuclear waste "pollution" - which it could be said that it is) that lasts for thousands of years, if not more, and needs to be stored deep underground so as to not affect the populations of the world?), yet, with the free-energy technology that does exist in the world yet we are not allowed access to, there should be no need whatsoever to resort to the dangerous option of nuclear power.....

TigaHawk
3rd November 2011, 16:21
I think the op's point with Nuke Energy is:

We have free energy allready, and we're not using it because it cannot be metered and sold for money, is why we'll never see it with the current mob in power. And while its being used, stuff can and as we have seen , multiple times now, WILL go wrong, people and the planet suffer/die because of it.

Simonm
3rd November 2011, 16:47
I think the op's point with Nuke Energy is:

We have free energy allready, and we're not using it because it cannot be metered and sold for money, is why we'll never see it with the current mob in power. And while its being used, stuff can and as we have seen , multiple times now, WILL go wrong, people and the planet suffer/die because of it.

Very good point.

Xenos
3rd November 2011, 16:52
I read somewhere that Chernobyl turn into a natural park full of animal and rare ones... Birds have their home on the roof of the reactor, the polish horse is free, deer and a very rich animal and vegetable life is prospering.

Scientist observed malformation on one or two generation and it came back to normal.

Animals of Chernobyl are a very good master of Life to understand how strong is life in every person.

A friend of mine told me that the magnesium and iodine have the same structure than micro radioactive particle and they replace the magnesium and iodine... so if we are completely healthy, no deficiency, with those complement... we are just fine :)

As Luc Montagnier said about AIDS (that he discover) a good alimentary regime, a good state of mind is enough to heal of AIDS... same for every single thing.