PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean to be Honourable

4th November 2011, 19:06
Some good thoughts here to help people decide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?sUKeZLeGTDk=player_embedded

4th November 2011, 19:38
This ex-cop made, what I thought, was an interesting observation about a process, I hope we don't get a chance to witness. If you think about it, logically, the best and bravest would be the first to die in any conflict or disaster.

The process he mentions is this: the best cops quit first because they can't stand it; then there are those that leave one by one as things gradually become worse and worse until, at the end, the only ones left following orders are the psychopaths.

I hope the world has a quota on honourable people because otherwise, from an evolutionary point of view, killing off and undermining the best can only result in degradation.

norman
4th November 2011, 19:48
To be honourable is simply to have full respect for the personal sovereignty of everyone else, either all together or one at a time.

4th November 2011, 20:11
It also seems to mean that a person will die first; be ruined first and suffer humiliation first. But, the consequences of this is that if the person survives they will acquire enormous personal power. Even if they don't survive, they will achieve power in death -- hence we have those honourable people that history will never forget (I hope)...such as the Cathars, for instance.

Lord Sidious
5th November 2011, 01:29
It also seems to mean that a person will die first; be ruined first and suffer humiliation first. But, the consequences of this is that if the person survives they will acquire enormous personal power. Even if they don't survive, they will achieve power in death -- hence we have those honourable people that history will never forget (I hope)...such as the Cathars, for instance.

I wouldn't have used that word for the cathars, if you mean the ones that were burned outside Montsegur.
I would have used the word nuggets.
I would NEVER allow someone to harm those I love while I still breathed, let alone co operate.

Seikou-Kishi
5th November 2011, 01:36
It means to be the younger son of an earl or the son or daughter of a viscount or baron? Lol...

Personally I think to be honourable is to seek to maintain (one's own) integrity at all times. To me, that means having rules and living by them, but 'splitting hairs' in one's rules never for one's own benefit and always for the benefit of others, especially those in one's power or in some other way dependent upon one.

5th November 2011, 03:18
Yeah, I was thinking about whether that did actually apply to the Cathars...but in the context of sticking to and being ready to die for what they believed in...isn't that honourable.

Seikou-Kishi
5th November 2011, 05:38
I'm not sure. If the beliefs one dies to uphold are hateful beliefs, I'm not sure that I'd be able to see honour in that but rather 'consistency' lol. The Cathars though. Yeah, I'd say they were honourable. Honourable and possibly on to something — two very good reasons to be wiped off the map.

Lord Sidious
5th November 2011, 09:15
Yeah, I was thinking about whether that did actually apply to the Cathars...but in the context of sticking to and being ready to die for what they believed in...isn't that honourable.

Possibly.
Like anakin, I wouldn't let anyone hurt those I care about.
I wouldn't necessarily go wipe out a whole Tusken Raider village, but you know what I mean.

5th November 2011, 09:20
Personally, I wouldn't have wanted to be around those guys....maybe my standards are slipping...but at least they were consistent and didn't cave, ya know.

Xenos
5th November 2011, 18:02
Edit

To be honorable is for me to respect what we are. For sure, the Cathare respected what they were, and they died for what they know to be true... Evil people come and try to make you refuse what we are, kissing pure lies... what is the proper way of doing ? It depend of all of use... some refused their knowledge and killed their brothers and sisters, wiping pregnant women, killing children, burning village, killed entire city... and others respected their knowledge... died or runaway to survive and to keep the message and relics.

It was hard time, inquisition has been created for us, millions of dead and a genocide has been accomplished. Culturally, artistically, musically, etc. The time where the dark side of France killed the true face of France. But still remain, and we speak a lot about Catharisme here in France, really a lot, and it is not impossible that it come back.

The teaching of Catharisme says that we belong to what is truly good... and when the Time is close to change, it get tougher... to switch of our light inside us. And so, to be honorable, is to keep our light open, even small and weak... but fight and hold to what is purely good and beautiful in all of us, because that is TRUTH and that is to be honorable for me, to keep in mind and never forget what we are in the storm. And so, the honorable men and women will see their light burn as a big fire... as a phoenix we will rebirth in our life.

I'm putting pictures of Cathare castle on my profile, and some of the region... it is just picture... nothing else.

Zillah
5th November 2011, 20:59
I believe in order to be an honorable person, you have to be of high integrity. When standing in integrity, you are within wholeness and completeness - you see the beauty in yourself and in all things under all circumstances. When 'whole' you have set values and boundaries that no one can penetrate. You stand in this with a pure knowing that the honor of ourselves is our birthright and we deserve nothing short of love - and echo this to all standing around you.

A person who is out of integrity will have no honor. Their values are fickle - and they have floating boundaries - one to be manipulated and infiltrated differently by those around them. They do not realize their birthright, and are easily bullied, treated poorly and fooled into thinking that they are small insignificant specs that must obey "the rules" or they will be punished.

Honor has been taken away from men and women as a process of control and manipulation. Its easier to get people do to your will if they think nothing of themselves. In every fight against darkness you hear the king's speech - to raise morale, restore value, and re-remember our birthright of deserving love, honor and freedom...

We are bigger than <this> - stand in that honor (I SAY THIS TO THE COPS AT OCCUPY!!! ... hmmm maybe if I played them Aragorn's speech at The Black Gate) :cool:

Aragorn: Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of Men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the Age of Men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West! :fencing: