PDA

View Full Version : Coffee: Good or Bad for Us? The Verdict is IN...

jackovesk
8th November 2011, 04:46
November 7, 2011

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qLJSLG7lPH0/TrfefK8ia4I/AAAAAAAAC7Q/WpCy6nnZi3Q/s320/coffee.jpg

For most of us, the potential benefits of coffee far outweigh the risks. Over the last few years, a surprising number of research studies have buttressed that verdict. Why this reversal, in light of the earlier warnings about coffee?

Earlier studies didn't always take into account that health risk behaviors -- like smoking and lack of exercise -- tended to be more common among heavy coffee drinkers. So, current studies have generally found no connection between coffee drinking and an increased risk of cancer or heart disease.

But current research still finds some risks. High consumption of unfiltered coffee is associated with mild elevations in cholesterol levels. Another study found that two or more cups of coffee a day can increase the risk of heart disease in people with a specific -- and fairly common -- genetic mutation that slows the breakdown of caffeine in the body. So, how quickly you metabolize coffee may affect your health risk. Too much coffee can result in jitters and stomach upset. One study found an increased risk of miscarriage when a woman is a heavy coffe-drinker.

That's the downside. We coffee lovers -- who can't start the day without our java fix -- are well aware of the energy-boosting effect of caffeine. But look at this array of studies finding other possible health benefits from coffee consumption:

Drinking more than three cups of coffee a day could help ward off basal-cell carcinoma, the most common cancer. Women who drink three or more cups a day have a 20% lower risk of skin cancer while men had a 9% lower risk.
Women who drink two to three cups a day have a 15% lower risk of depression than those who drink only one cup. Those who drink four or more cups have a 20% lower risk.
Drinking one to five cups of coffee per day reduces your risk of having a stroke by as much as 25%. A 10-year study involving 34,670 participants found a statistically significant lower risk of total stroke, cerebral infraction, and subarachnoid hemorrhage, but no impact on intracerebral hemorrhage. Three out of four ain't bad.
Drinking coffee is associated with a lower risk of type 2 diabetes. People who drink more than six cups a day are 35% less likely to have type 2 diabetes. Six cups of coffee a day might result in the jitters for many of us. But four cups a day was associated with a still impressive 28% reduction in the risk.
Drinking two or three cups of coffee a day could lower the risk of developing Parkinson's Disease by as much as 25%. And those drinking six or more cups a day are 63% less likely to develop Parkinson's But being a three-to-four-cup-a-day coffee drinker most of my adult life didn't stop me from getting Parkinson's.
People who drink four or more cups of coffee a day are 80% less likely to develop cirrhosis of the liver than those who drink no coffee. According to the researchers who did this study, "there is an ingredient in coffee that protects against cirrhosis, especially alcoholic cirrhosis. Guess it was a good thing that I kept on tossing down caffeine as well as alcohol during my drinking days!
Women who drink one to five cups of coffee a day -- including decaf -- reduce their risk of death from all causes by 15 to 19 percent compared to those who drink no coffee at all. The researchers who did this study theorize that this result suggests that the protection comes not from the caffeine in coffee but rather that its magic-bullet antioxidants.
Men who drink six cups of coffee a day have a 60% less chance of developing a dangerous form of prostate cancer as well as a 20% lower risk of developing any other kind of prostate cancer. This study, like the one above, involved men who drank decaf or regular coffee. The researchers here also suggested that coffee's antioxidants, not the caffeine, were associated with the risk reduction. As with Parkinson's, my coffee consumption didn't ward off my prostate cancer, but fortunately mine doesn't appear to be the particularly dangerous form.

Although some of these studies speak of impressive risk-reduction percentages from drinking six or more cups of coffee a day, most medical authorities caution that in the case of heavy coffee consumption the risks may well outweigh the benefits.

Remember also that the findings in studies like these, while useful, do not establish causality. At best, the studies tell us that the beverage is associated with a reduced risk of cancer... or whatever, not that it actually reduced the risk.

http://parkinsonsand5htp.blogspot.com/2011/11/coffee-good-or-bad-for-us-verdict-is-in.html#more

Lily de Cuir
8th November 2011, 05:16
Struth! Where are the red words Jacko? bwaha,ha, just doesn't feel the same, looks kinda barren:jester::roll::smokin::drama:

There, that should brighten things up a tad...!:bolt:

Love Lily

enfoldedblue
8th November 2011, 05:17
We take our coffe very seriously in our house, and go for quality over quantity. Fresh ground organic dark beans, made in a stainless steel stovetop expresso maker. I have it with raw organic cow's milk and organic rapidura sugar (dried cane juice), which gives it a slight caramel flavour. Tom has it black with rapidura and cardamon pods! To me it feels like a beautiful luscious ritual to start the day...Yum!

Lily de Cuir
8th November 2011, 05:28
Oh yeah!!!! Cardomom pods are just the ticket!
(Crushed with mortar and pestle)

astrid
8th November 2011, 05:42
Same enfoldedblue, i ditched my old aluminum stove tops for stainless a while back,
and only do organic and fair trade coffee.

I find it works better to if i dilute it and space it out more through out the day, rather than just have 3 or 4 full strength cups,
i get much less crashes that way.

I have tried to give it up but its VERY tough.
But these days, after the dilution method, i find i can do without much easily.

Like right now i am on a fast, day 4 .. and i'm doing fine.
Mind you i have been eating totally organic everything since April, so my body was already pretty cleaned out.

If you are a heavy coffee drinker its good to do a clean out at least once a year, it does have a few nasties, including Cadmium,
that can accumulate.

I have been doing a major heavy metal detox since having the last of my amalgams out two weeks back.

But i just don't know about these "studies" we all have different biochemistry , the trick ( i think anyways ) is to listen to your body, NOT a study......

enfoldedblue
8th November 2011, 05:55
Lily: After nearly 5 years of watching Tom enjoy the cardamon, I have yet to try it...maybe one day :). He just drops 2 whole pods in...I imagine crushed would be more intense though.

Astrid: I do 2 coffees a day max, and only in the morning...that seems to work well for me..no crashes. I try to take spirulina and chlorella everyday too...great for getting rid of heavy metals and other nasties.

enjoy the fast...you must be staring to feel pretty high about now :)!

LOVE ALLways, c

astrid
8th November 2011, 06:04
Yeah, LOADS of energy, I'm not sure how long im going to go for, i would like to do 21 days, but we will see.

I'm taking LOADS of Chlorella as part of my heavy metal detox,
i have to take it for 4 months. And after that i start on Coriander which is what is apparently best for detoxing heavy metals out of the brain.

music
8th November 2011, 06:18
We go for organic local coffee, I was under the impression that organic fairtrade coffee imported into Australia was sprayed by AQIS. I got the Cardoman thing from the time I lived on Lesbos, and the time I lived in Germany (the Turkish influence). In fact, I may still be seen as a saint on the isle of Lesbos, but that is another story!

NeverMind
8th November 2011, 06:49
The main problem with coffee - as with tea - is one that is usually omitted from such lists: it is very acidic.
Of course, in itself, this need not be a problem - both acids and alkalis are needed - if it weren't for the fact that most people suffer, to a greater or lesser degree, from acidosis as it is.

A simple "fix" to off-set at least some of the acidic effect would be to down a little water with a knife's edge of sodium bicarbonate in it.

onawah
8th November 2011, 07:06
This article just caught my eye the other day.
I've had bad reactions even to organic, swiss process decaf coffee, and I'm thinking it may have been due to mycotoxins.

How to choose mycotoxin-free coffee

Saturday, November 05, 2011 by: Alex Malinsky aka RawGuru
http://www.naturalnews.com/034063_mycotoxins_coffee.html
(NaturalNews) Mycotoxins are dangerous substances that are often found in coffee. Despite this fact, coffee has been shown to improve health, help enhance performance, and keep your mind focused. So, how can you continue to drink coffee without ingesting the harmful mycotoxins? By being very selective about the kind of coffee that you drink.

Why Are Mycotoxins so Bad?
A form of fungus, mycotoxins make their way into coffee by adhering to dried coffee beans. Once the mycotoxins have latched onto the dried coffee beans, they are incorporated into the process of grinding and roasting them down and, eventually, may end up in your cup.

Fungus is not something that you should always worry about, as certain forms of it (i.e. mushrooms) are healthy, accepted parts of a balanced diet. However, mycotoxins are a form of fungus that can cause several negative side effects.

First and foremost, you simply will not feel as good after drinking a cup of coffee with mycotoxins as you will after drinking one that is free of them. Additionally, these substances can cause diseases that affect your liver, kidneys, smooth muscles, and alimentary canal.

How Can You Find Mycotoxin-Free Coffee?
By following these tips, you can enjoy your cup of joe without having it ruin your health.

1. Drink coffee that has been made via wet processing. Because mycotoxins often form during the drying process, wet beans are much less likely to contain them than dry beans.

2. Do not drink decaffeinated coffee. Caffeine actually protects coffee beans from the growth of mold and can prevent large amounts of mycotoxins from growing.

3. Choose arabica beans over robusta beans. Though robusta varieties do have higher levels of caffeine, they also contain more mycotoxins.

4. Consider the environment in which your beans are grown. Because mold is less apt to grow at higher elevations, buying beans that have been harvested in the mountains of Central America is a great way to decrease the amount of toxins in your coffee.

5. Stay away from blends. Though blended coffees may taste good, there really is no way of telling where the different bean varieties have come from. Try to stick to single estate products rather than the major brand names.

6. Steam is an agent that can help break down toxins, so if all else fails, order an Americano.

Is Drinking Coffee Worth the Risk?

Yes, mycotoxins can have some adverse health effects, but the health benefits of coffee are certainly worth ensuring that you keep it in your daily diet. The trick is to find coffee that makes you feel great, rather than coffee that brings you down. It will take a bit of research on your part to pick the coffee beans and local coffee shop that are right for you, but the research will be more than worth it when you notice a difference in how you feel.

To many people, drinking coffee is something that is an important part of the day, for a variety of reasons. From boosting health to sparking energy, coffee can be a key component of their daily routine. But as explained above, organic coffee doesn't necessarily mean the healthiest coffee. By drinking coffee low in mycotoxins, you can be sure that your coffee habit is one that enhances, rather than detracts from, your health.

Sources for this article include
http://vetmed.iastate.edu/diagnosti...
http://www.bulletproofexec.com/good...
http://www.bulletproofexec.com/3-st...

About the author:
Alex Malinsky aka RawGuru is an award winning chef and one of the leading experts in the field of raw food. He started to learn about raw foods at the early at of 15. After 10 years on the raw food diet he continues to be on the cutting edge of nutritional research and product development. Visit Alex's website at: www.RawGuru.com for more information.

Articles Related to This Article:
• Introducing Healthy Coffee That Boosts Immunity

• Drink a Healthy Cup of Coffee

• Drinking Coffee Reduces Risk of Stroke, Cancer and Dementia

• The hidden dangers of caffeine: How coffee causes exhaustion, fatigue and addiction

• Confront the coffee controversy

• Drinking Coffee can Help Reduce the Risk of Diabetes

DarMar
8th November 2011, 07:08
On world bloosoming with various kind of gene types, differences between humans and all that .. this question as its asked doesnt have sense at all
For who Us did you meant to? general population or? because if general, answer is simple: NO
but for some is: YES

aranuk
8th November 2011, 12:36
Struth! Where are the red words Jacko? bwaha,ha, just doesn't feel the same, looks kinda barren:jester::roll::smokin::drama:

Love Lily

Lily shoosh, maybe he has forgotten how to do it!:boink:

Stan

benevolentcrow
8th November 2011, 12:53
Enjoying my first cup of coffee now, generally two-three a day. I find it to be the nectar of the Gods! It warms me, wakes me up, takes pain away. One of life's great pleasures! Of course organic, with filtered water and a little organic cream. There will always be something out there that will get you if you let it. Meanwhile enjoy life and a good cup of coffee!

WhiteFeather
8th November 2011, 13:02
Thanks for This Interesting Thread Jackovesk. Having a cup of Joe as we speak. Ahhhh Coffee Is also a very important part of the Gerson Therapy for detoxification of the tissues and blood. This is accomplished through a variety of means, first and foremost through the use of coffee enemas. Don't shoot the messenger!

Gerson Therapy (http://gerson.org/GersonTherapy/gersontherapy.htm)

ulli
8th November 2011, 13:07
Coffee needs to be taken within ten minutes of brewing.
After that the oxidation process begins, and that is the harmful aspect.
So people who work in offices where coffee can sit on the burner for hours aren't getting the health benefits.

Feritciva
8th November 2011, 13:45
Coffee is sacred! And yes, there are studies showing the benefits, there are studies showing the harm (and if you put sugar to your coffee then unfortunately you switch to the dark side of coffee! :) ). I guess this is personal and each body should be wise enough to understand if coffee is good for itself. But do we have this kind of "body wisdom"? Looking around it seems far from it!

I prefer organic coffee with cafeine, because a lot of benefits are attributed to cafeine and it seems pointless to me to drink decaf. But there is one even more important drink for me; tea - black tea. When I went to London for the first time, I was really surprised to see that the infamous English tea is not so good compared to traditional Turkish tea. So find fresh Turkish tea if you can whereever you live and enjoy life! ;)

RMorgan
8th November 2011, 14:00
Coffee is great! I love it!

Once I was walking around the streets, stopped at a coffee shop and asked for an "espresso". The girl asked me: -Do you want to try this new coffee that just arrived, it´s just great, the best coffee in the world, and just a little more expensive!

I said ok, and didn´t ask for the price.

So the girl came with a small cup of coffee. It tasted delicious!!

I enjoyed the coffee with a nice organic tobacco rolled with straw and asked for the bill.

The girl came and said: -It´s 40.

I asked: - 40 centavos (cents)?

The girl: - No, 40 Reais (Our currency, 1 dollar worths about 1,65 Reais).

I was just like WOW!!! I asked for a 2 Reais espresso and she´s given me a 40 Reais coffee!!!! And said it was just a little more expensive!!!

I told I was going to call the cops, that she was trying to rob me!!!

In the end, it was that infamous Kupi Lwac coffee, considered to be one of the best in word...

I gave her 2 Reais and walked away...The coffee tasted really good, but if you think about how it´s made and processed, it very disgusting.

Cheers,

Raf.

conk
8th November 2011, 14:29
The main problem with coffee - as with tea - is one that is usually omitted from such lists: it is very acidic.
Of course, in itself, this need not be a problem - both acids and alkalis are needed - if it weren't for the fact that most people suffer, to a greater or lesser degree, from acidosis as it is.

A simple "fix" to off-set at least some of the acidic effect would be to down a little water with a knife's edge of sodium bicarbonate in it. and this acid will play havoc on some people's stomachs. Mine! I miss my coffee greatly, but would rather have my stomach lining intact. Chicory and dandelion root makes an excellent substitute. A little cream, a little coconut flower sugar, yummy!

onawah
8th November 2011, 15:55
I can't drink coffee often anymore, though I love the taste, because caffeine makes me hyper and I have a problem with insomnia.
Once in a while I will have an organic cup of decaf, but the chances of mycotoxins is high with decaf. :sick:
I also can't drink tea because of the tannic acid, which makes my jaws ache.
But if I need a jolt in the AM to get me going, I have found that about 2 tablespoons of wheat grass juice act as a great tonic, with no bad side effects, and lots of health benefits.
Though I HATE the taste! :p :fie::yuck::bad::sarcastic:

Centauro
8th November 2011, 16:00
I started drinking coffee by 4 yo, maybe I should be dead by know LOL .... Can't live with out it, grew up in a coffee farm, and just the smell of it roasting out in the air is unbearable to resist... Have a cup... :)

jackovesk
8th November 2011, 17:12

Love Lily

Lily shoosh, maybe he has forgotten how to do it!:boink:

Stan

Maybe I have 'No' choice in the matter..!

Carmen
8th November 2011, 19:17
To some bodies coffee is fine, to others it is poisonous. I drink one to two coffees per day and really enjoy it. Anymore is too much. My daughter gave up drinking coffee and all of the acne on her face and body disappeared! It was obviously poisonous to her body. Interesting reading the studies posted here.

marielle
8th November 2011, 20:20
I use a something called an AeroPress to make coffee and it's the smoothest cup of coffee ever! I bought mine at Amazon but here is a video showing how it's used:
QyLQuzaIYzg

muxfolder
8th November 2011, 20:26
Coffee is damn good for you!
KxwcQ1dapw8

Camilo
8th November 2011, 21:32
Hmm coffee, so good!.......but like everything else in life, with measure.

Dawn
9th November 2011, 03:43
What a timely topic for me. Ha ha. I don't normally drink coffee at all. However 3 days ago I had an impromptu cup of cafe mocha in a social setting. And then, again - yesterday I had a cup in the afternoon.

Today I am not having coffee. I will not let that stuff put a hold on me, and make me its slave. And... I am ill! I awoke feeling depressed and have been unable to accomplish anything at all today. In addition I have a persistent headache. This is coffee withdrawal, and after only 2 cups of the stuff.

I don't care what experts say about coffee. It is addicting. I don't feel well when I drink it, or when I am weaning myself off of it.

I chose not to allow something like this to capture me and cause a dependance on it.