PDA

View Full Version : Those conversations I would love to have...

Alex Laker
14th November 2011, 03:22
Dearest Avalonians,

Among my closest friends and family, I do not feel there is one with which I could hold a conversation with about half of what is discussed here on this forum. I cannot share my absolute burning desire to get to the bottom of what is going on in the universe without leaving the realms of hard science. For example, I cannot bring UFO's or extraterrestrial intelligence into the equation without destroying the conversation thread or unintentionally turning it into a discussion on why conspiracy theories are stupid... which pains me. There is no-one with whom I can bounce ideas off about the esoteric in the way that I would like. I mean, these conversations do happen, but for my friends, it seems like it will always lead back to an affirmation of atheism. That there is no life after death. There is no higher intelligence that possibly interacts with us. There is no soul. There is no point in considering these things - we should just live and make the most of it. Of course that is wise, but I just cannot understand the closed-mindedness, and unwillingness to consider amazing possibilities or even want or need anything more.

What really got me thinking about this is recently, I was speaking to someone who I have known for just under three months. We get on well, and in many ways are similar. But, when it comes to these discussions, our opinions could not really be any more different. He is completely atheist, and has said on more than one occasion that he believes there is no meaning to anything, and that when we die there is nothing and that it is all in the brain. But one thing that particularly got to me, was when he said that he hates it when people talk about their dreams, because he simply cannot relate to the abstract thoughts of another person. Perhaps not, but for me it is an intriguing insight into what it means to be conscious - at least if we can understand what happens when we aren't. But if we are not even willing to discuss even our strangest experiences of the world, what can we ever learn from each other?

And this is my point. For me, to share even your craziest ideas and experiences of life is so worthwhile and valuable, and likewise when they are shared with me. When I share my thoughts with others, it is a wonderful, and powerful feeling that I get inside. Even now, when posting on this forum, I get this excitement about doing so. The knowing that what I say might just make somebody change their perspective on life. The anticipation that I might learn something about the world. To have this feeling when talking to people I have never met, and who seem so distant is phenomenal, but I often wonder what it would be like to meet someone like-minded in person. Perhaps the exchange of energy would be too much, too wonderful.

I know that people here must feel the same way, but nonetheless would like to experiences with trying to engage friends in discussions that seem so relevant to you, but too 'out there' to them.

It's like I would love for everyone to be as open-minded as I am, because it feels so incredible. I don't want to feel arrogant for saying that I know there is something bigger than all this, because it seems like everybody should feel them same way.

I don't understand why they don't want to understand.

--- This post being a case in point, I always end up writing way more than I set out to, but I love words too much.

shadowstalker
14th November 2011, 04:30
Been there, done that, moved here (to the forum).
Yup I think many of of can say the same as you have in this thread.
But i do what makes me happy and that is hanging here and making vids.
So to me it's no great loss anymore.
You can only do what you can do then move on.
finding folk on the edge of learning is hard to find, folks with open minds are even harder, as they tend to be afraid of the person next to them when asked what just was said.
I guess it time to just use your intuition on these types of conversations.
Even if the out come seems bleek you still had your say, and knowledge is shared, whether they admit it or not, has been passed to them.

58andfixed
14th November 2011, 06:28
I have great empathy and experience with these issues Araxes:

I have two nuggets to offer.

1. What keeps people together and apart can most often be boiled down to our biases.

List of cognitive biases

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

How familiar one gets with our own biases, and the various types of bias, the sooner one can discover tools to transcend other peoples' tendency for this weak type of thinking.

2. Consciousness, from the perspective of a Atheist mathematician - Marcu du Sautoy in a BBC Documentary called "The Secret You."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Biv_8xjj8E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Biv_8xjj8E

58m 41s 64,977 views

Posted January 4, 2010

"With the help of a hammer-wielding scientist, Jennifer Aniston and a general anesthetic, Professor Marcus du Sautoy goes in search of answers to one of science's greatest mysteries: how do we know who we are?"

These are my two greatest tools that I have used for years to dispense with the lack of critical thinking, and the excuse for avoiding meaningful dialog or thinking.

Be patient. Some minds may be deeply entrenched within their belief system -- Atheism and Agnosticism are both belief systems -- and we are all human, so cutting another some slack is essential for free will choices including erroneous thinking, and even leaves room for levity and laughter. :)