PDA

View Full Version : Arthur C Clarke ....BBC Horizon interview 1964....

Cidersomerset
18th November 2011, 17:59
Arthur C Clarke a fellow son of Somerset, did this interview in 1964 talking about how he saw the next 50yrs and beyond interesting.....Its a shame he passed before Bill and Kerry could interview him.....

KT_8-pjuctM

XosYXxwFPkg

A few thoughts from a man of vision....Cheers Steve

Cidersomerset
18th November 2011, 18:08
I really enjoyed his series 'Mysterious World' and it opened up my eyes to the mysteries of the universe...

World Of Strange Powers - 01 Warnings From The Future

uFMdMHTuKEU

That brought back some memmories and they don't make them like that anymore ..LOL..Cheers Steve.

Davidallany
18th November 2011, 18:11
Seeing this is most agreeable, Cidersomerset. Thank you.

Davidallany
18th November 2011, 18:34
Arthur doesn't have an English accent. He must have been Cymraeg.

Hwyl.

Cidersomerset
18th November 2011, 18:40
He was Born and bred in Minehead,just up the coast from here , opposite those heathen Cwmru....LOL ...

Although I passed my driving test in Bridgend many years ago....Cheers Steve

Davidallany
18th November 2011, 18:43
When I listen to him then listen to Bill Ryan, I hear a big difference in pronunciations. Why is that?

Cidersomerset
18th November 2011, 18:47
Although I hear faint somerset twang in Arthurs accent , due to his travels it has become more nuetralised, Bill was brought up in Africa and his accent to me sounds colonial

rural english with a hint of something ????...LOL Steve

araucaria
18th November 2011, 18:58
Only listened to the first bit - no new domesticated species in 5000 years, let's enslave monkeys, dolphins and whales? I don't like the sound of that, or of some the other stuff either...

Cidersomerset
18th November 2011, 19:05
Its a message of its time, but he also said the apes would learn how to form trade unions . What I took from it is comformation that the secret space programe could well have
been underway in the 50/60's and as a insider his views were based on technology already developed , and how he saw the future. Some of which is familier some not...

araucaria
18th November 2011, 19:10
I don't want apes to form trade unions that's what slaves do. Dolphins and whales form schools already, much more enlightened :)

truth4me
18th November 2011, 19:21
Also wrote the book "Childhood's End"....

Cidersomerset
18th November 2011, 19:24
Very good , but we may have been Apes before the Annunaki intervened and made us slaves !!...I expect he changed his views later....This interview was made before the communication satalites wereactive like today , but he talks about suspended animation and doing surgery across the world by computor link, and possibly solve hunger by a replication devises.

He also says the planets in our solar system are uninhabitable with the possible exception of Mars !!
In the future scientists may be able to perform planetery engineering to make them more hospitable...

Ecnal61
18th November 2011, 19:28
Did this guy know something about the future? machines overtaking mankind and uploading information straight into the brain are both features of the film "The Matrix". i read somewhere that he was a high ranking mason and so maybe he had access to info that mere mortals of 1964 would not have known about,also stuff he wrote about in his sci_fi books has come into our world now....an imaginative man or an informed man?

Cidersomerset
18th November 2011, 19:33
I expect he was mate, most NASA insiders were and are I think ? ..I'l have a look around....

I can't find anything yet though there is insinuation, David Icke probably said it at some point?

Found this tribute by Richard Hoagland who did a tribute to him on coast just after his death...

Don't get me wrong Arthur was deffinately a insider and this might have caused his demise and more or less exile on Shri Lanka and although he was getting on his death was a bit of a shock.I think Bill and Kerry were trying to get over there and interview him ??

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/3553/In_Memory_of_Arthur_C__Clarke___Pt__1_3/

But he also inspired a generation of people to reach to the skies....

Ecnal61
18th November 2011, 20:07
As for enslaving monkeys and dolphins,i think he had his tongue buried deeply in his cheek..i hope.

Cidersomerset
18th November 2011, 20:11
Maybe he inspired the first Planet of the apes film as well...

If thats all people take from the interview fair enough, but if it was not for his vision we may not be communicating here tonight, and I took a lot more than that...

Think of listening to that interview in 1964...after the austerity of the fifties in the wake of the destruction of WW11....

Arthurs 90th Birthday interview..

3qLdeEjdbWE

This is Arthurs last recorded message, he was certainly with it and following world events....
Whether he knew more than he publicly said we may never know..

oF2z5-kTm2I

araucaria
18th November 2011, 20:31
As for enslaving monkeys and dolphins,i think he had his tongue buried deeply in his cheek..i hope.

enslaving was my term, he said domesticating, nobody in those days would have taken issue with domesticated cattle
I just thought it didn't sound too smart from Arthur C, I'm probably not making allowances for such distant times, makes me feel old

Ilie Pandia
19th November 2011, 00:55
I've only watched the first video in the original post and what a violent future did it predict!

Machines cutting down through the jungle and laying roads in matters of hours.

Bio engineering as a way to create servants out of the apes, whales and dolphins?! (Aren't we a bit arrogant here... all hail the superior human of the 20th century...). He says is shameful we did not add another "domesticated animal" to our list. Where would the animals or the nature be today if man was not here to improve on them?

He used words as "taming" and "conquering", for man is at battle with everything that surround him is it not?

And then he talks about the mechanical evolution... that to me seems like the signature of very poor spiritual evolution. And no, I am no saying that highly spiritual beings will not use technology. But I am saying that such technology would not be use to tame or conquer anything: be it animal, space or even the human body.

I hope the future is even more fantastic than he predicted, and we will cooperate, be friends and harmonize with our environment, instead of conquering it.

Seikou-Kishi
19th November 2011, 01:11
When I listen to him then listen to Bill Ryan, I hear a big difference in pronunciations. Why is that?

Because the accents in the UK are very diverse. Daniel Jones, a phonetician who studied the pronunciation of the English language noted that the accent varies every fifteen miles; one of the most densely varying regions in the world in terms of accent. Add to that the fact that the accents changed over time, you'd be hard pushed to find anybody from Clarke's era and from the modern era who speak at all alike; even the Queen's pronunciation has changed over the past 50 years, and the very conservative RP of the the Royal family changes a lot more slowly than most accents in the UK.

Hope that clears a few things up lol

Cidersomerset
19th November 2011, 12:21
Ilie listen to the second part and the introdution episode of his seeries mysterious world.It was the first programme of its type aired on British TV and opened up a whole new world of incredible things to my generation, and was another factor in getting more ordinary people involved in a subject before just known to a few scholers and adventureres. If you still feel the same after that fair enough, but you are focusing on the wrong part,imho...

He was a visionary and a man of peace, the words he used though wrong to us now were common then..In his final two pieces he talks of his hopes for man, and about climate change and regarding damaged caused to the earth he says 'we only have to look in the mirror'...The search for new cleaner energy he said was a must, so he had changed with the times. In 1964 we were in the mist of the cold war he had been in the RAF during WW11 and his mannerisms were more formal. Yes I don't agree with enslaving apes, whales and dolphins, but obviously the military were doing it then and may still be.The US were sending monkeys into space and the Russians were sending dogs...I totally agree all that is wrong so is force smoking beagles ,monkeys , mice ,rats etc.

Also clearing the rain forrests are wrong and he would agree with us judging by his last interview, but again in the sixties it was all about exploiting the worlds resources so thats what he was reffering to. To which I agree we all think it is damaging our planet and lining the pockets of a few elite families and corporations....

But Apart from that what did Arthur Clark do for us.....LOL..As Monty Python would say !!

Maybe I'm looking back at it with to much nostalgia.....possible..

I just realised the TV seeries was made before you were born !!

Now that makes me feel old...LOL...Cheers Seve..

Ilie Pandia
19th November 2011, 13:30
Hello Cidersomerset,

Thanks for writing that post. I shall watch those parts two. After writing my post above I had a similar realization that his ideas were common in the context Arthur C Clark lived it. And indeed, even me typing stuff on this computer and the technology that I enjoy, I owe it in a big part to visionaries like Clarke.

So yes I was a bit harsh, and I stand corrected :)

Cidersomerset
19th November 2011, 13:52
Thanks Ilie.. No problem thats how we all learn.. LOL...Cheers Steve

Cidersomerset
19th November 2011, 15:27
Well this is a fascinating group of creative minds !!!

Talking about how they viewed the Big Bang Theory....

HKQQAv5svkk

Although as Science is changing all the time this
may be superseeded by new ideas !! But interresting
to hear these modern giants discussing it....Steve

araucaria
19th November 2011, 18:02

Because the accents in the UK are very diverse. Daniel Jones, a phonetician who studied the pronunciation of the English language noted that the accent varies every fifteen miles; one of the most densely varying regions in the world in terms of accent. Add to that the fact that the accents changed over time, you'd be hard pushed to find anybody from Clarke's era and from the modern era who speak at all alike; even the Queen's pronunciation has changed over the past 50 years, and the very conservative RP of the the Royal family changes a lot more slowly than most accents in the UK.

Also, Bill was brought up in Africa I think. In some places in England, you can tell what part of town people are from! And in the northern cities of Liverpool and Newcastle, I hear they have interpreting services for businessmen from the London area down south!

shamanseeker
19th November 2011, 19:13

Thanks, Seikou-Kishi,
Very true but as far as the Queen is concerned, I think she's probably taken lessons in softening her accent as a P.R. exercise to make her accent more 'palatable' to the modern British public. I think Prince William has done the same thing.

Cidersomerset
20th November 2011, 21:01
He really was a visionary....

io6e86T0GW0

Cidersomerset
6th July 2016, 20:09
ARTHUR C. CLARKE: Seven Wonders of the World

rNWL855ibMA

Published on 26 Sep 2015
Arthur C. Clarke, the great science fiction writer and visionary, chooses his own
seven wonders in a special edition of the 1995 BBC TV series. Filmed in Sri Lanka.

Cidersomerset
6th July 2016, 20:16
The Goodies and Arthur C. Clarke

Kl8SRrlbbN0

Arthur C. Clarke, author of "2001: A Space Odyssey", "Rendezvous With Rama",
"Fountains Of Paradise" and of course many, many others (it is so difficult to pick
my favourite), died aged 90 on 19th March 2008. I well remember the early 1980's
when he presented the TV series "Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World" and the
Goodies did a wonderful parody of this show...

Cidersomerset
6th July 2016, 20:29
Childhood's End by Arthur Clarke - Audiobook

hmJhaiAnbRo

=====================================
=====================================

Childhood's End (2015) Official Trailer

i3e7aMCIxjY

Official trailer for Syfy's Mini Series "Childhood's End", starring among others
Mike Vogel ("Under The Dome"), Charles Dance ("Game of Thrones") and
Daisy Betts ("Last Resort").

http://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/files/styles/syfy_tile_medium/public/2015/12/ChildhoodsEnd_gallery_101Recap_09.jpg

bRLOzXiRz5Y

Streamed live on 18 Dec 2015

Hosts discuss The SyFy Miniseries Childhoods End on AfterBuzz TV.
AFTERBUZZ TV -- Childhood's End edition, is an "after show" for fans of Syfy's
Childhood's End. In this episode hosts Zach Wilson, Phil Svitek, Keith Black
discuss Syfy's Childhood's End Mini Series!

Written by Arthur C. Clarke and hailed as a revolutionary work of science fiction
since its publishing in 1953, Childhood's End follows the peaceful alien invasion
of Earth by the mysterious “Overlords,” whose arrival begins decades of apparent
utopia under indirect alien rule, at the cost of human identity and culture.

Cidersomerset
6th July 2016, 20:47
Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke

qeOZFzNuSDo

http://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/photo.goodreads.com/hostedimages/1438250843i/15684896._SX540_.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendezvous_with_Rama

====================================================
====================================================

Rendezvous with Rama short film

ZY2Yt1ATm4c

A short student film inspired by the Arthur C. Clarke novel. Directed
and animated by Aaron Ross, Tisch School of the Arts, NYU in 2001.

http://tobinelliott.com/userfiles/Tobin2014/1397848752_rwrinside.jpg

Cidersomerset
6th July 2016, 21:17
Arthur C. Clarke. Rama II. Audiobook Full. Part 1/2 (read by John Stratton)

ZlZNyiWYWWE

Arthur C. Clarke. Rama II. Audiobook Full. Part 2/2

6BU-bQr5NKw

Citizen No2
6th July 2016, 21:28
There was a point in time where some very worrying stories were emanating from Sri Lanka regarding A.C. Clarke. He must have ruffled someone's feathers along the way.

I too was a fan of his TV shows when I was a nipper.......... you know, when it was all fields.

Regards.

Cidersomerset
6th July 2016, 23:13
I just watched 2010 for the first time, I have been meaning to for
years , though a little dated it is still a pretty good movie......

IMDB Rating: 6.7/10 from 30,639 votes
Release: 1984 / 2010
Genre: Sci-Fi | Thriller
Director: Peter Hyams
Stars: Roy Scheider, John Lithgow, Helen Mirren

Synopsis: In this sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey, a joint American- Soviet expedition
is sent to Jupiter to discover what went wrong with the U.S.S. Discovery against a backdrop
of growing global tensions. Among the mysteries the expedition must explain are the
appearance of a huge black monolith in Jupiter's orbit and the fate of H.A.L., the Discovery's
sentient computer. Based on a novel written by Arthur C. Clarke.

http://putlocker.is/watch-2010-online-free-putlocker.html

======================================================
======================================================

Arthur C. Clarke. 2010: Odyssey Two. Audiobook Full (read by John Stratton)

84KvjhrtRxg