PDA

View Full Version : Crow, Tata, believed to be oldest in the world dies

Lord Sidious
30th November 2011, 06:49
I am absolutely stumped on this one, avaloniansresemblingsmallpiecesofgoldenstuff. :p
This is a few years old, but even so.

http://www.jcrows.com/tata.jpg

BEARSVILLE, N.Y 7/7/06. - There's no way to prove Tata was the world's oldest crow when he died Sunday at age 59. But an expert on crows says it's possible.

Tata's tale began in 1947 when a thunderstorm blew the fledgling out of his nest in a Long Island cemetery, a mishap that likely led to his long life. Injured and unable to fly, the bird was scooped up by a cemetery caretaker and brought to a local family with a reputation for taking care of animals, Tata's most recent owner, Kristine Flones, told the Daily Freeman of Kingston.

"He was never able to fly, so he became their family pet," said Flones, a wildlife rehabilitator in the Woodstock, N.Y., hamlet of Bearsville, 95 miles north of New York City.

The Manetta family took care of Tata for more than half a century but gave the bird to Flones in 2001 because of their own health problems.

Blinded by cataracts and 54 years old when she got him, Tata was still a wonderful pet, Flones said.

"When you came around him, his energy was very beautiful," she told the newspaper. "It was as if he were exuding or giving off a loving energy."

"It's an incredibly old bird," said Kevin McGowan, an ornithologist at Cornell University who has studied crows for more than 20 years. "They don't live that old in the wild."

McGowan said the oldest living crow he has documented in the wild is a bird he banded as a fledgling and has tracked for 15 years. There is an unsubstantiated claim of a 29- or 30-year-old crow in the wild, but he knows of no older crows, tame or otherwise.

While claims of animal longevity are tough to verify, McGowan said, "This one sounded pretty reasonable to me."

In an environment without predators, communicable disease or the likelihood of a fatal accident, a crow could grow as old as Tata, he said.

Flones said Tata was still active and alert in his later years, to the point each spring that he called out from inside the house to crows outside, often loudly and beginning at 5 a.m.

http://www.jcrows.com/tata.html

Calz
30th November 2011, 06:55
avaloniansresemblingsmallpiecesofgoldenstuff :haha:

Lol.

After how many hundreds of "what does a nugget mean?" posts Lord (Sid) only knows where this one will go? :rofl:

ViralSpiral
30th November 2011, 06:57
I love crows
I love that he was called Tata
Tata is the endearing term we call Nelson Mandela. It means father in Xhosa

Thanks LSN ;)

modwiz
30th November 2011, 07:05
I am absolutely stumped on this one, avaloniansresemblingsmallpiecesofgoldenstuff. :p
This is a few years old, but even so.

http://www.jcrows.com/tata.jpg

BEARSVILLE, N.Y 7/7/06. - There's no way to prove Tata was the world's oldest crow when he died Sunday at age 59. But an expert on crows says it's possible.

Tata's tale began in 1947 when a thunderstorm blew the fledgling out of his nest in a Long Island cemetery, a mishap that likely led to his long life. Injured and unable to fly, the bird was scooped up by a cemetery caretaker and brought to a local family with a reputation for taking care of animals, Tata's most recent owner, Kristine Flones, told the Daily Freeman of Kingston.

"He was never able to fly, so he became their family pet," said Flones, a wildlife rehabilitator in the Woodstock, N.Y., hamlet of Bearsville, 95 miles north of New York City.

The Manetta family took care of Tata for more than half a century but gave the bird to Flones in 2001 because of their own health problems.

Blinded by cataracts and 54 years old when she got him, Tata was still a wonderful pet, Flones said.

"When you came around him, his energy was very beautiful," she told the newspaper. "It was as if he were exuding or giving off a loving energy."

"It's an incredibly old bird," said Kevin McGowan, an ornithologist at Cornell University who has studied crows for more than 20 years. "They don't live that old in the wild."

McGowan said the oldest living crow he has documented in the wild is a bird he banded as a fledgling and has tracked for 15 years. There is an unsubstantiated claim of a 29- or 30-year-old crow in the wild, but he knows of no older crows, tame or otherwise.

While claims of animal longevity are tough to verify, McGowan said, "This one sounded pretty reasonable to me."

In an environment without predators, communicable disease or the likelihood of a fatal accident, a crow could grow as old as Tata, he said.

Flones said Tata was still active and alert in his later years, to the point each spring that he called out from inside the house to crows outside, often loudly and beginning at 5 a.m.

http://www.jcrows.com/tata.html

I had a girlfriend who lived in Bearsville and my son was conceived about 3 miles up the hill in Lake Hill. Both of these hamlets are located in the Town of Woodstock, which I lived (and kept busy) in for some years.

BTW I love crows but never was aware of Tata or I would have visited him.

Lord Sidious
30th November 2011, 07:07
I do too.
We don't have crows here, we only have ravens.
But that is ok, I love ravens too.
My viking ancestors did too.

Calz
30th November 2011, 07:14
Crow is my "power animal" (medicine wheel according to birthdate).

Whenever I get into trouble it is his fault :nod:

Lisab
30th November 2011, 07:22
Both crows and ravens are messagers. In the old celtic villages here in Wales when a crow called out it was a warning of a stranger approaching. A crow came to my garden and called out three times on the day my friend committed suicide. I believe crows and ravens to be really helping mankind alot at the moment. So many people have an affinity with them. Great story Lordy, a lovely nugget of info to start my day off.

Lord Sidious
30th November 2011, 07:25
Both crows and ravens are messagers. In the old celtic villages here in Wales when a crow called out it was a warning of a stranger approaching. A crow came to my garden and called out three times on the day my friend committed suicide. I believe crows and ravens to be really helping mankind alot at the moment. So many people have an affinity with them. Great story Lordy, a lovely nugget of info to start my day off.

I am glad to give you a nugget of info to start your day off.
They are brilliant birds.
I always talk to them.
Where I used to live, the ravens would come out and start landing in the trees and on the rooftops around me when I sat in the backyard.
I used to talk to them and they would answer back.

Paladin14
30th November 2011, 07:34
Crows can be taught to say words. I remember as a child a big crow was repeating swear words kids were teaching it. It was kept in a forest preserve wildlife display building.

mab777
30th November 2011, 13:37
incredible ... thankīs LS.

conk
30th November 2011, 21:37
Read an article in a UK paper today that told of a pair of gold fish that are 34 years old. They have even turned gray. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2068077/The-oldfish-Two-pets-won-fair-34-years-ago-believed-UKs-oldest--theyve-gone-GREY.html

NeverMind
30th November 2011, 21:55
This is SO beautiful. Thank you.

I love and respect all animals, bar none (well, except for homo sapiens, but let's not go there now...), but there are some for which I have a certain predilection.
Sparrows are one such species, the feisty little rascals. :)

But I also love crows, all the more so because so many people fear and hate them.
In a strange way, that doubles my tenderness for them.

To be sure, they can be VERY dangerous to smaller (and even bigger) animals.
But I doubt very much they would do anything out of sheer nastiness, like some other species I know....

And BTW, I often talk to them when we cross each other's path. :-)
I am sure they even talk back, but being a human, I am too obtuse to really understand.

R.I.P., Tata (and all its departed brethren).

LATER EDIT:

I just re-read this, and I don't want it to sound TOO cantankerous.
I do not like, or respect, many, all too many members of the Homo sapiens species.
But those who are good... they are GLORIOUS (witness this very thread).
I gladly recognise that, too.

aranuk
30th November 2011, 22:13
I can't help but think of the expression "a little bird told me" after being asked "Who told you that?"
Sorry if I ruffled any feathers here.

Stan

onawah
30th November 2011, 22:27
There are a lot of crows where I live and I love their raucous, mocking sense of humor.
I once got to be in close quarters with a crow who had been rescued by a couple of guys who run a small store in a remote spot on a major highway in the Ozarks.
The crow had been with them for years ( I don't remember how many) and he had a very nice enclosure; a large indoor cage with a flap door that opened to an even larger outdoor enclosure.
To be at such close quarters and to be able to look into it's eyes was an experience I will never forget. Their eyes are indeed MAGICAL!!

In the Medicine Cards by Jamie Sams, Crow is:

There is a medicine story that tells of Crow's fascination with her own shadow. She kept looking at it, scratching it, pecking at it, until her shadow woke up and became alive. Then Crow's shadow ate her. Crow is Dead Crow now.

Dead Crow is the Left-Handed Guardian. If you look deeply into Crow's eye, you will have found the gateway to the supernatural. Crow knows the unknowable mysteries of creation and is the keeper of all sacred law.

Since Crow is the keeper of sacred law, Crow can *bend* the laws of the physical universe and *shape shift*. This abilty is rare and unique. Few adepts exist in today's world, and fewer still have mastered Crow's art of shape shuifting. This art includes doubling, or being in two places at one time consciously; taking on another physical form, and becoming the "fly on the wall" to observe what is happening far away.

The Europeans that came to Turtle Island were named the "boat peple" by Slow Turtle. Even with the knowledge of alchemy possessed by certain boat people, none had ever seen the powerful shape shifting of shamans who utilized Crow medicine. Many boat people were frightned by what appeared to be animals coming into their camps or dwellings to discern their medicine. Crow medicine people are master of illusion.

All sacred texts are under the protection of Crow. Creator's Book of Laws or Book of Seals is bound in Crow Feathers. Crow feathers tell of spirit made flesh. Crow is also the protector of the "ogallah" or ancient records.

The Sacred Law Belts, or Wampum Belts, beaded by native women long before the boat people or Europeans came to this continent, contain knowledge of the Great Spirit's laws, and are kept in the Black Lodges, the lodges of women. The law which states that "all things are born of women" is signified by Crow.

Children are taught to behave according to the rules of a particular culture. Most orthodox religious systems create a mandate concerning acceptable behavior within the context of worldly affairs. Do this and so, and you will go to heaven. do thus and so, and you will go to hell. Different formulas for salvation are demanded by each "true faith."

Human law is not the same as Sacred Law. More so than any other medicne, Crow sees that the physical world and even the spiritual world, as humainty interprets them, are an illusion. There are billions of worlds. There are an infinitude of creatures. Great Spirit is within all. If an individual obeys Crow's perfect laws as given by the Creator, then at death he or she dies a Good Medicine death--going on to the next incarnation with a clear memory of his or her past.

Crow is an omen of change. Crow lives in the void and has no sense of time. The Ancient Chiefs tell us that Crow sees imultaneously the three fates--past, present, and future. Crow merges light and darkness, seeing both inner and outer reality.

If Crow medicine appears in your card spread, you must pause and reflect on how you see the laws of the jGreat Spirit in relation to the laws of humanity. Crow medicine signifies a firsthand knowledge of a higher order of right and wrong than that indicated by the laws created in human culture. With Crow medicine, you speak in a powerful voice when addressing issues that for you seem out of harmony, out of balance, out of whack, or unjust.

Remember that Crow looks at the world with first one eye, and then the other-cross-eyed. In the Mayan culture, cross-eyes had the privilege and duty of looking into the future. You must put aside your fear of being a voice in the wilderness and "caw" the shots as you see them.

As you learn to allow your personal integrity to be your guide, your sense of feeling alone will vanish. Your personal will can then emerge so that you will stand in your truth. The prime path of true Crow people says to be mindul of your opinions and actions. Be willing to walk your talk, speak your truth, know your life's mission, and balance past, present, and future in the now. Shape shift that old reality and become your future self. Allow the bending of physical laws to aid in creating the shpe shifted world of peace.

Contrary:
So you are an outlaw today, eh? This is one of the varied messages of Crow reversed. The rebel in you has given a yell, and all hell is about to break loose!

A word to the wise at this point: make sure that if you are stepping on toes, you have some back-up. The catalyst for a barroom brawl is usually the person with two black eyes. That is what it means to eat Crow.

If you do not plan to go to such extremes, Crow reversed may indicate that you are merely "cheating a little" on your diet, or covertly watching teh neighbors have a spat, or thinking, "Promises are made to be broken." In any of these situations, the only loser is you. If you are lying to yourself on any level, you have lost the power of Crow. Think about it, and maybe your inner truth will come to you.

In seeing what is true, you may need to weed out past beliefs or ideas to bring yourself into the present moment. Contrary Crow speaks ofneeding to remember that Divine Law is not judgment or denial of self-truths. Divine Law is honoring harmony that comes from a peaceful mind, an open heart, a true tongue, a light step, a forgiving nature, and a love of all living creatures. Honor the past as your teacher, honor the present as your creation, and honor the future as your inspiration.

Refusing to honor the shifts in your reality can cause emotional pain. An implosion of energy is apparent when rebellion surfaces. Contrary Crow speaks of broken law. The law of expansion is broken by suppression. this may apply to a situation, an old habit, a person you have given your authority to, or your own fears. It is always your own creationm so call on Crow and shift that creation to your new reality.

http://spiritlodge.yuku.com/topic/973/Crow-Medicine#.Ttas1FuwUUg

Interesting that Crow appeared on the forum today.

aranuk
30th November 2011, 22:37
I remember something about crows in the Teachings of Don Juan by Casteneda. Can anyone remember. My old brain is getting poor.

Stan

RMorgan
30th November 2011, 22:45
I remember something about crows in the Teachings of Don Juan by Casteneda. Can anyone remember. My old brain is getting poor.

Stan

Yes...Castaneda supposedly became a real flying crow, while under the influence of Datura. I donīt remember which book talks about that experience, though...I think itīs on The teachings of Don Juan book, but Iīm not sure.

Cheers,

Raf.

Miller
30th November 2011, 22:46
I love crows and feed them every day as I walk to work. On the odd day that I haven't anything to give them I walk outside the park because otherwise they dive bomb me to remind me to drop food. :0 I have read up on them and believe they are very intelligent creatures who recognise me .... not from my clothes, as I thought ...... but from my features. They actually remember my face! uh-oh. I give them all our left overs and believe it or not they like chips (fries) more than they like bread. They love peanuts in their shells too although (imo) it's a lot of trouble getting the shells off. There are a few pigeons hanging around but no small birds like there used to be when I was a young gal. We used to have sparrows (never see them in South London any more), chaffinches (maybe one now and then), robins (once in every couple months). But there's something special about crows. :)

WhiteFeather
30th November 2011, 22:52
Have A Ball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=QqLU-o7N7Kw

modwiz
30th November 2011, 23:21
In cartoons I watched as a kid there was one about a Myna bird. Myna birds can talk, as can crows and ravens. Myna birds are in the crow family of corvids or corvines.

aranuk
30th November 2011, 23:35
I related a story here a while back of my dog being hoodwinked by two crows. They stole his meaty bone. He was a very intelligent border collie. Nevertheless not a match for two crows!

Stan

Caren
30th November 2011, 23:51
I love crows as well and have six here hanging about the Maples. I feed them everyday and it is especially funny to see them eat leftover pasta.
Their loyalty to the members in their group and their numerous vocalizations are fascinating.
@ WhiteFeather the vid you posted is too sweet!

jaybee
1st December 2011, 00:11
This is SO beautiful. Thank you.

I love and respect all animals, bar none (well, except for homo sapiens, but let's not go there now...), but there are some for which I have a certain predilection.
Sparrows are one such species, the feisty little rascals. :)

aren't they just....

But I also love crows, all the more so because so many people fear and hate them.
In a strange way, that doubles my tenderness for them.

I love them too...the crow is my main totem. Perhaps the sparrow is one of your totems as you mentioned them.....just a thought.

But perhaps it is the crow as you are on this thread.

It's all very intriguing with all the bother about Lord Sidious being suspended....and crow spirit coming through. And him and the ravens.

To be sure, they can be VERY dangerous to smaller (and even bigger) animals.
But I doubt very much they would do anything out of sheer nastiness, like some other species I know....

I agree.

I had a crow in my living room for about 6 weeks while it was recovering from being knocked by a car (I think it was knocked by a car. It had one milky blind eye so maybe that's why it got hit?)

I had to pick it up a couple of times and it went nuts....pecking my hand. But it's beak was quite thin and delicate in a way....and didn't really hurt. But as you say smaller and sometimes bigger animals had better watch out!

Their ariel battles with buzzards are a sight to see.

And BTW, I often talk to them when we cross each other's path. :-)
I am sure they even talk back, but being a human, I am too obtuse to really understand.

R.I.P., Tata (and all its departed brethren).

amen

you must have crow totem....definately.....do you caw at them, that's fun

and they look around like... WHAT was that.....:biggrin1:

onawah
1st December 2011, 00:43
cpgCQj-sgqk

NeverMind
1st December 2011, 02:11
Sparrows are one such species, the feisty little rascals.

aren't they just....

Oh, THAT they are. :)
I'm glad to see others appreciate the garrulous, selfish, bellicose (and incredibly smart) little brownies as well.
Their voices on my terrace (I feed them) have often been the only thing that made me smile when things were really, REALLY bad.

I had a crow in my living room for about 6 weeks while it was recovering from being knocked by a car (I think it was knocked by a car. It had one milky blind eye so maybe that's why it got hit?)

Bless you for that.
I suppose it had cataracts, like the late Tata.
(And I wonder, would castor oil help birds, too? It does seem to help people, at least in some cases of cataracts.)

do you caw at them, that's fun

:)

It IS fun.
And since you ask... one of the things I was VERY surprised to find out about myself was that I had the ability to imitate animals' voices really well.
I remember feeling strangely PROUD about it.

But I was no less surprised when I realised that even the people who love me and respect me don't really like hearing animal voices being imitated... Strange.
Now, if I did that during normal conversations with people, I could see their point. :-)
But of course, I only use animal voices when speaking about animals.
Still, people seem to feel uncomfortable.
(Except children, of course. They love it.)

That's "polite society" for you. :)
No wonder I often prefer my thoroughly impolite sparrows & Co.

Calz
1st December 2011, 02:27
Their ariel battles with buzzards are a sight to see.

Point well taken ...

conk
1st December 2011, 20:38
We witnessed the most peculiar display by crows. There were four of them, each perched on a corner of the fence. They took turns buzzing a poor cat in the middle of the yard. With almost mathmatical precision they harassed that poor kitty for about 5 minutes. The cat was pertrified, as it did not know which way to run. Finally the crows tired of the game and all flew off at once. Likely laughing all the way to Caren's house for more pasta.

Lisab
1st December 2011, 21:14
There are a lot of crows where I live and I love their raucous, mocking sense of humor.
I once got to be in close quarters with a crow who had been rescued by a couple of guys who run a small store in a remote spot on a major highway in the Ozarks.
The crow had been with them for years ( I don't remember how many) and he had a very nice enclosure; a large indoor cage with a flap door that opened to an even larger outdoor enclosure.
To be at such close quarters and to be able to look into it's eyes was an experience I will never forget. Their eyes are indeed MAGICAL!!

In the Medicine Cards by Jamie Sams, Crow is:

There is a medicine story that tells of Crow's fascination with her own shadow. She kept looking at it, scratching it, pecking at it, until her shadow woke up and became alive. Then Crow's shadow ate her. Crow is Dead Crow now.

Dead Crow is the Left-Handed Guardian. If you look deeply into Crow's eye, you will have found the gateway to the supernatural. Crow knows the unknowable mysteries of creation and is the keeper of all sacred law.

Since Crow is the keeper of sacred law, Crow can *bend* the laws of the physical universe and *shape shift*. This abilty is rare and unique. Few adepts exist in today's world, and fewer still have mastered Crow's art of shape shuifting. This art includes doubling, or being in two places at one time consciously; taking on another physical form, and becoming the "fly on the wall" to observe what is happening far away.

The Europeans that came to Turtle Island were named the "boat peple" by Slow Turtle. Even with the knowledge of alchemy possessed by certain boat people, none had ever seen the powerful shape shifting of shamans who utilized Crow medicine. Many boat people were frightned by what appeared to be animals coming into their camps or dwellings to discern their medicine. Crow medicine people are master of illusion.

All sacred texts are under the protection of Crow. Creator's Book of Laws or Book of Seals is bound in Crow Feathers. Crow feathers tell of spirit made flesh. Crow is also the protector of the "ogallah" or ancient records.

The Sacred Law Belts, or Wampum Belts, beaded by native women long before the boat people or Europeans came to this continent, contain knowledge of the Great Spirit's laws, and are kept in the Black Lodges, the lodges of women. The law which states that "all things are born of women" is signified by Crow.

Children are taught to behave according to the rules of a particular culture. Most orthodox religious systems create a mandate concerning acceptable behavior within the context of worldly affairs. Do this and so, and you will go to heaven. do thus and so, and you will go to hell. Different formulas for salvation are demanded by each "true faith."

Human law is not the same as Sacred Law. More so than any other medicne, Crow sees that the physical world and even the spiritual world, as humainty interprets them, are an illusion. There are billions of worlds. There are an infinitude of creatures. Great Spirit is within all. If an individual obeys Crow's perfect laws as given by the Creator, then at death he or she dies a Good Medicine death--going on to the next incarnation with a clear memory of his or her past.

Crow is an omen of change. Crow lives in the void and has no sense of time. The Ancient Chiefs tell us that Crow sees imultaneously the three fates--past, present, and future. Crow merges light and darkness, seeing both inner and outer reality.

If Crow medicine appears in your card spread, you must pause and reflect on how you see the laws of the jGreat Spirit in relation to the laws of humanity. Crow medicine signifies a firsthand knowledge of a higher order of right and wrong than that indicated by the laws created in human culture. With Crow medicine, you speak in a powerful voice when addressing issues that for you seem out of harmony, out of balance, out of whack, or unjust.

Remember that Crow looks at the world with first one eye, and then the other-cross-eyed. In the Mayan culture, cross-eyes had the privilege and duty of looking into the future. You must put aside your fear of being a voice in the wilderness and "caw" the shots as you see them.

As you learn to allow your personal integrity to be your guide, your sense of feeling alone will vanish. Your personal will can then emerge so that you will stand in your truth. The prime path of true Crow people says to be mindul of your opinions and actions. Be willing to walk your talk, speak your truth, know your life's mission, and balance past, present, and future in the now. Shape shift that old reality and become your future self. Allow the bending of physical laws to aid in creating the shpe shifted world of peace.

Contrary:
So you are an outlaw today, eh? This is one of the varied messages of Crow reversed. The rebel in you has given a yell, and all hell is about to break loose!

A word to the wise at this point: make sure that if you are stepping on toes, you have some back-up. The catalyst for a barroom brawl is usually the person with two black eyes. That is what it means to eat Crow.

If you do not plan to go to such extremes, Crow reversed may indicate that you are merely "cheating a little" on your diet, or covertly watching teh neighbors have a spat, or thinking, "Promises are made to be broken." In any of these situations, the only loser is you. If you are lying to yourself on any level, you have lost the power of Crow. Think about it, and maybe your inner truth will come to you.

In seeing what is true, you may need to weed out past beliefs or ideas to bring yourself into the present moment. Contrary Crow speaks ofneeding to remember that Divine Law is not judgment or denial of self-truths. Divine Law is honoring harmony that comes from a peaceful mind, an open heart, a true tongue, a light step, a forgiving nature, and a love of all living creatures. Honor the past as your teacher, honor the present as your creation, and honor the future as your inspiration.

Refusing to honor the shifts in your reality can cause emotional pain. An implosion of energy is apparent when rebellion surfaces. Contrary Crow speaks of broken law. The law of expansion is broken by suppression. this may apply to a situation, an old habit, a person you have given your authority to, or your own fears. It is always your own creationm so call on Crow and shift that creation to your new reality.

http://spiritlodge.yuku.com/topic/973/Crow-Medicine#.Ttas1FuwUUg

Interesting that Crow appeared on the forum today.

Wow what a sync. Thanks Onawah. And also Whitefeather great video. Great posts all round. Love the crow. So interesting that Sid chose crow at this time. Miss you Sid!

Playdo of Ataraxas
1st December 2011, 21:28
In cartoons I watched as a kid there was one about a Myna bird. Myna birds can talk, as can crows and ravens. Myna birds are in the crow family of corvids or corvines.

Another of my favorite corvidae species is the blue jay. Two years ago, a new family of blue jays hatched in our yard. There were three babies, and only two survived. The same two blue jays still reside in the pecan tree out back and I see them on a nearly daily basis. I speak to them when I see them and they crane their necks from side to side as if they were contemplating my words. When I work in the garden or till the soil, they notice and will light on the fence or rooftop near me. And whenever I find a grub or grub(s), I'll toss them onto the lawn and they'll swoop down and gobble them up. That is, if the mockingbirds don't get them first!

Blue Jays are also strikingly beautiful, as well as my other favorite corvidae: the magpie. When I lived in Germany I was fascinated by them, their beauty and inquisitiveness. Magpies do not live in Mississippi, but we have crows and blue jays a-plenty. Thanks for the enjoyable thread Lord Sidious.

Playdo of Ataraxas
1st December 2011, 22:42
The thread made me think of this old fable, though the crow comes out worse than the fox!

Aesop
The Fox and The Crow
A Fox once saw a Crow fly off with a piece of cheese in its beak and settle on a branch of a tree.

"That's for me, as I am a Fox," said Master Reynard, and he walked up to the foot of the tree.

"Good day, Mistress Crow," he cried. "How well you are looking today: how glossy your feathers; how bright your eye. I feel sure your voice must surpass that of other birds, just as your figure does; let me hear but one song from you that I may greet you as the Queen of Birds."

The Crow lifted up her head and began to caw her best, but the moment she opened her mouth the piece of cheese fell to the ground, only to be snapped up by Master Fox.

"That will do," said he. "That was all I wanted. In exchange for your cheese I will give you a piece of advice for the future: "Do not trust flatterers."

Nani
1st December 2011, 23:10
Lord Sidius I love your sense of humor and I am glad you are not this kind of person who becomes offended easily and wants to leave us because of feeling banned lol!!!! I love your posts and dont mind you calling us nuggets as a Spanish speaking person, I dont know the other meaning of the word. Always felt that was a dear way to call us.
Blessings for your strong personality.

Nani

WhiteFeather
2nd December 2011, 00:35
Sorry Me Lord If Im stepping on your Thread while your away for a short time, : ) You gotta watch this peeps, almost 9 million views on a bird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjE0Kdfos4Y&feature=relmfu

meeradas
2nd December 2011, 00:51
i always loved this story here
1JiJzqXxgxo

Calz
2nd December 2011, 09:14
Great song and images (forgive the need to skip an ad ... *sigh*).

YAE1XTvKLXA

Hey Sid ... ya goldcoloredfluffytailfeatherofaraven come back soon.

We already miss your antics.

U7MV39iivFE

astrid
2nd December 2011, 09:48
NhmZBMuZ6vE

Seikou-Kishi
2nd December 2011, 11:00
I love crows. There are so many ravens around my place and I love feeding them minced beef, cereal grains and nuts and seeds. I love watching them in my garden and their intelligence is unmistakable. I don't know why I've always liked crows, but my favourite poem as a child was the Raven lol. I've seen them hiding food before, but whether they've got wise to my watching them, or just don't think they have to hide it any more (because I put out food throughout the year, and because they're clever enough to notice that lol).

We have a few magpies here as well (which are also part of the corvidae family, hence crows). Gotta love crows :D

Calz
2nd December 2011, 11:03
NhmZBMuZ6vE

Very cool vid astrid ... thanx for sharing that :)

Cjay
2nd December 2011, 11:13
A beautiful and chilling song performed by Jackson Browne and David Lindley -
The Crow On The Cradle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mqc8qHmDd8
Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mqc8qHmDd8

Calz
2nd December 2011, 11:24
That was beautiful Cjay ... thank you :thank_you2: (interestingly I posted another Jackson Browne vid earlier elsewhere).

Star1111
2nd December 2011, 11:51
Love crows and I have lots that come into my garden.

I have two special crows and I call them......... wait for it....................... Russell and Cheryl !

Calz
2nd December 2011, 12:36

I have two special crows and I call them......... wait for it....................... Russell and Cheryl !

I bet Cheryl is a bit cuter but Russell does have a presence :)

Cjay
2nd December 2011, 14:13

I bet Cheryl is a bit cuter but Russell does have a presence :)

Here's a little taste of Cheryl, with a little help from Sarah McLachlan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UVPEPv-Qlg
Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UVPEPv-Qlg