PDA

View Full Version : Niger Delta oil spills dwarf BP, Exxon Valdez catastrophes : A PERSONAL RANT

Bill Ryan
4th July 2010, 21:01
-------------

Niger Delta oil spills dwarf BP, Exxon Valdez catastrophes

http://newsdesk.org/2010/06/niger-delta-oil-spills-dwarf-bp-exxon-valdez-catastrophes

Nigeria's agony dwarfs the Gulf oil spill. The US and Europe ignore it

http://guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/30/oil-spills-nigeria-niger-delta-shell

Ok, this is a rant.

Read the articles above. There are other reports, too. But this mess has not happened in the back yard of the civilized first world. So we are all pretty much unaware of it. (I was, too.)

But this has happened to those other guys in Africa. Not us. So we can ignore it. They don't post YouTube videos, or speak at conferences, or have internet blogs. Many of those affected have never in their lives made a phone call.

But we in the first world cry that the sky is falling (and yes, it may be) - and ask the ETs for help.

Yet we cannot even listen to our own fellow humans.

We want to be rescued and assisted. Yet we don't even care OURSELVES about what's happening elsewhere on our own planet - because it's on another continent, firewalled from our attention and awareness.

Now tell me why the ETs should show up. They never showed up to help the Nigerians. (And neither did we.)

And there are still people who think that we are on the verge of Ascension.

What we MAY be on the verge of is not graduating to another dimension because we are so enlightened - but, rather, on the verge of finally wakening up to take responsibility for the entire planet (not just the Gulf of Mexico).

If there's any possible imminent graduation to a higher level, it will be that.

greybeard
4th July 2010, 21:10
To Rant is Human Bill.
We need more compassion in this world, though in fairness ordinary people in UK and other countries has dug deep into their pockets for many disasters throughout the world.
Rant on Bil.
Chris

monique
4th July 2010, 21:29
people in africa, south and central america need respect - is ever the same situation when it goes around money - poor people pay whit her health or life

thank you very much bill for put the notice

is sad, but good to know was happen in the world

HORIZONS
4th July 2010, 21:32
Good rant!!! I fully support it. No wonder the ptb's are not worried about the Gulf, they can destroy the land and the people of Nigeria and life (a very nice one at that) goes on for them.

Bill Ryan
4th July 2010, 21:33
Ordinary people in UK and other countries has dug deep into their pockets for many disasters throughout the world.

WHY should "ordinary people in UK and other countries dig deep into their pockets for many disasters throughout the world"?

In those pockets there are pennies. Meanwhile, the military spends trillions on increasing the gap between the powerful and the powerless.

We don't hold garage sales to buy space-based weapons. Of course, there's nothing you or I can do about the Niger Delta (or the Gulf of Mexico) - apart from raise our awareness about it.

But this is the point. Our wakening responsibility starts here and now. What can be GAINED from this Gulf of Mexico experience is an alarm call which we desperately need.

As long as the flow can be stopped quite soon (and I still think it will be), we may just end up much smarter and wiser from this.

And we HAVE to be smarter and wiser than we have been. We're slowly getting there - but there's a huge mountain still to climb.

Luke
4th July 2010, 21:37
Thanks for pointing that catastrophe.
I do not call that a rant. It's accurate, down-to-earth observation.
This Nigerian situation reminds me about things people coming back from Siberia tell, about the rivers you should not smoke nearby.
And Persian gulf, after Iraquis dumped all oil they had onboard tankers and ignited it .. there was statistics in text/graph thread

One observation about Gulf oil spill is : if all the crude that spilled from the GoM gusher can be converted to petrol, it would satisfy US thirst for about 10 hours. Imagine that. 20,680,000 bbl/day in 2007 (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ene_oil_con-energy-oil-consumption)

No cavalry will come, other than us. Time to figure out how to shift current paradigm. Thank you for reminding that :)

Bill Ryan
4th July 2010, 21:40
No cavalry will come, other than us.

EXACTLY.

We're already here. We just need to wake up.

Thank you SaiCO - I appreciated your message.

Operator
4th July 2010, 21:41
Hi Bill,

Thanks for bringing it up ... I previously made a comparison to the dumping of toxic waste on the coast of Somalia. When these things happen there is much less- or
no attention for it at all. We should feel connected to ALL people affected ... always ... not only in hyped cases.

It reminds me to the anecdote that goes something like this:
- when black people were victimized nobody cared and people looked the other way
- when Jewish people were victimized nobody cared and people looked the other way
- etc. etc.
- who will care and get involved when they finally come for me ?

frank samuel
4th July 2010, 21:46
I do not believe that we can escape our responsibility as inhabitants of planet Earth and the many horrid tragedies that we have create it. The part that concerns me as a parent is that the coming generations will have to carry the torch to bring about creative solutions to undo the damage created through thousands of years of negligence and abuse of our planet resources. I remain hopeful that we can prepare our children, while at the same time we, you, I can do a lot more to take responsibility for this mess. If I expect the coming generation to do better then I have to get the ball rolling, NOW, instead of waiting for someone else to do something. If we are waiting for ETs to intervene this is not their responsibility and perhaps we will be waiting for a very long time, time waits for no one. To be awake and aware for me means to be self responsible for myself, family, friends, neighbors. Our actions, will power, intent, focus, imagination, intelligence, can create the solutions we want to see implemented within our world. It starts with each and every one of us carrying the torch for the coming generations.

Many many blessings to all.:thumb:

john.d
4th July 2010, 21:54
Its happening in the amazon too :

http://sky1.sky.com/ross-kemp-oil

There was a few more sites shown on the program where the big oil companies just dumped crude everywhere . We really have made a mess of this beautiful planet .

John

greybeard
4th July 2010, 22:00
WHY should "ordinary people in UK and other countries dig deep into their pockets for many disasters throughout the world"?

In those pockets there are pennies. Meanwhile, the military spends trillions on increasing the gap between the powerful and the powerless.

We don't hold garage sales to buy space-based weapons. Of course, there's nothing you or I can do about the Niger Delta (or the Gulf of Mexico) - apart from raise our awareness about it.

But this is the point. Our wakening responsibility starts here and now. What can be GAINED from this Gulf of Mexico experience is an alarm call which we desperately need.

As long as the flow can be stopped quite soon (and I still think it will be), we may just end up much smarter and wiser from this.

And we HAVE to be smarter and wiser than we have been. We're slowly getting there - but there's a huge mountain still to climb.

I agree that ordinary people should not have to dig deep but the point I am making is that compassion is happening through awareness and therefore consciousness is raising. Right action occurs through a raised consciouses.
There is a lot of good news, its just quieter than headline grabbing sensationalism, responsible reporting is different.
I honestly believe we are on the way to a brighter future where the unacceptable is no longer acceptable.
We need the alarm calls Bill, till we dont.
Its happening.
Chris

HORIZONS
4th July 2010, 22:02
I do not believe that we can escape our responsibility as inhabitants of planet Earth and the many horrid tragedies that we have create it. The part that concerns me as a parent is that the coming generations will have to carry the torch to bring about creative solutions to undo the damage created through thousands of years of negligence and abuse of our planet resources. I remain hopeful that we can prepare our children, while at the same time we, you, I can do a lot more to take responsibility for this mess. If I expect the coming generation to do better then I have to get the ball rolling, NOW, instead of waiting for someone else to do something. If we are waiting for ETs to intervene this is not their responsibility and perhaps we will be waiting for a very long time, time waits for no one. To be awake and aware for me means to be self responsible for myself, family, friends, neighbors. Our actions, will power, intent, focus, imagination, intelligence, can create the solutions we want to see implemented within our world. It starts with each and every one of us carrying the torch for the coming generations.

Many many blessings to all.:thumb:

AGREED! "One day as my wife and I were driving home from shopping we saw the state highway road crew picking up trash along one of our highways. The amount of trash they picked up was amazing. So many people just throw their trash out their window for someone else to deal with—what a shame. If people would just take responsibility for this one small issue in life it would have a huge positive impact on our environment and on the expenditures of our tax dollars. Just think what would happen if people would take responsibility for their actions in their personal life issues. There would be so many life-impacting problems that would just take care of themselves—we would be amazed at the results. Imagine if we all took responsibility for all of our actions and reactions on a global scale: The world would change!"

Ross
4th July 2010, 22:21
To Rant is Human Bill.
We need more compassion in this world, though in fairness ordinary people in UK and other countries has dug deep into their pockets for many disasters throughout the world.
Rant on Bil.
Chris

Heya Chris,

I understand what you are saying but sadley lots of donated monies do not always get to where they should...Graham Hancocks 'lords of poverty' is an excellent read in regards to the enormous amount of monies (billions) donated from countries and individuals of which up to 90% ends up disappearing into what they call administration costs...

This is a massive scam in itself!

Thanks for the rant Bill.

Peace

Ross

Luke
5th July 2010, 07:18
[...]Right action occurs through a raised consciouses. [...]
Chris

Exactly.
Too often I noticed, I'm getting myself into a gridlock, just to stop and re-think my actions. It's like , this thing we mistake for mind, that constantly-chattering, vocalising, reasoning thing, it just goes around in circles.
The points of breakthrough, of brilliance, come from "somewhere else".
Think it's what American Natives refer as to "speaking from the heart .. (or maybe it's just another Celinism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagbard_Celine)) .
And 'it' knows no bounds :)

My feeling is that Earth, as an entity, is our greatest ally. This events, disasters, bloody mindlessness, straight insanity on a scale of species.
Sure we can dig looking for who's to blame, and sure we'll find even more skeletons in the closet. But this just locks us in a circle of anger and hopelessness.
I feel we need to start doing is ask ourselves for an image of alternative (breakaway) "civilization", that would allow us to create a sustaining system for our growth. When we hold such an image, I know that solutions will follow, from places previously unforeseen, and in a shapes unimaginable.
Just hold an image, a symbol for the things to come, as a start.

Elandiel BernElve
5th July 2010, 08:12
Nice rant, they're needed, those rants. It definately awakens people.

Yet awakened people don't necesserily form some kind of cavalry.
The problems in the oil industry and its pollution are so deeply rooted and their power is so great that awakened or not as an individual we can't do that much about it...
Of course I can stop driving on fossil fuel but every hour another 1000 new driving licenses are handed out.

It is terrible that we need to be on the edge of destruction before we might even consider to tone down and look for alternative ways.
The cavalry we need is a cavalry in the shape of a revolution.

Bill, I wish I could stop it, stop it all, all the oil, everywhere. Yet don't blame me, or any of us here for the spills around the world.

Yes the planet is our responsability! But for now we're fighting with bows and arrows against the lightning
We're fighting allright! With anything within our power! But the sun has to break the clouds and clear the storm

And that my friend is happening right now

Luke
5th July 2010, 09:00
[...]Yet don't blame me, or any of us here for the spills around the world.[...]

"Blame" is seeking a scapegoat, no-one does that. Sacrifices is one thing we should have had enough. We have had enough finger-pointing too. We should end with belief that reasons and consequences are not of our doing, that we're just a pawns in some game played by "others", that our actions have no effect on the results.

We need to deal with good people's actions leading to very unsettling outcomes.

Have you met a person that wanted this spill to happen? Have you met person that genuinely wanted for both people and animals to suffer? If even, then its a tiny minority.

We create this reality.
World is a mess.
Do the math.

morguana
5th July 2010, 09:30
what humans are doing collectivly to the earth really pees me off, its our only home and one we share with all beings that are here. i can not understand why anyone thinks it is ok to treat the earth with such contempt, to be honest folks we are the consumers and we can change things, cut down on plastics (uses oil), walk instead of driving, get an ecomomical car, dont use nappies (also uses oil) on kids unless they are environmentaly friendly and dont take 300 years to break down, stop byuing cheep plastic toys, household and electrical items.......lots of simple steps can be done to stop/reduce the continued use of the oil industry. it really is up to us......to stop, the oil companies are only doing what they do as supply and demand dictates

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6IbRSRe8MQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6IbRSRe8MQ&feature=related

love m

edit to add plastic is a low vibe anyway, i see it as a dead vibe and do not like to be surrounded by anything other than natrual materials, wood, cotton etc

greybeard
5th July 2010, 09:57
Hi Morguana
If we knew better we would do better.
Years of conditioning.
We buy things without any realization of where they come from, or the effort involved in getting the product to us.
We have earned the money we buy the product thats as far as we think our responsibility goes, we are changing we are buying organic we are using solar panels, wind energy, we are changing, it takes time.
We get cheap cloths from chain stores. They have been made for pennies by what we would call slave labor, but its a living wage in that country.
we have relatively a lot of money, but its never enough for most in our civilization and happy contented people are few in number here.
Death is a way of life millions exit the world, millions are born -- thats the way it is.
A youngster killed in a car accident or knifed in our society is no less a burden to parents here than a tragedy on the other side of the world.
Each death of a young person in particular is singular to the parents, even if many are killed at the same time.
Its the numbers going at the same time that seem to make it worse.
I believe that the time and date of death is set at birth, so death being inevitable, why worry, The body dies we go else where, no fear.
My compassion is for those who grieve, and those injured, its no big deal once death of the body has occurred to the in-dweller. YOU.
Having said all that we are getting our act together, but we will never have a world where people do not die, or new birth does not happen . That would be horrendous.
A new baby born a joyous occasion.
Regards to all points of view
Chris

tone3jaguar
5th July 2010, 21:03
There are zero victims anywhere in this world. Every single person that is incarnate on this world chose exactly what they where going to experience before they came into it. No amount of feeling bad for people will ever help them from escaping from their own darmic / karmic debts. Adversity is the mother of all teachers. Victim consciousness is the mother of all devolvement.

Snowbird
5th July 2010, 22:24
There are zero victims anywhere in this world. Every single person that is incarnate on this world chose exactly what they where going to experience before they came into it. No amount of feeling bad for people will ever help them from escaping from their own darmic / karmic debts. Adversity is the mother of all teachers. Victim consciousness is the mother of all devolvement.

tone3, you have raised a very tough lesson issue. This is one that I am currently incorporating onto my path. I stop and sometimes wonder if those elites-powers that be have any clue as to what they are facing into their futures. For this one particular aspect of their journey, I have a degree (although slight) of pity for them.

Has anyone taken notice of the areas of major oil "spills" and their locations are most always in highly populated areas along the coastal lines? Even in inland areas where they decide to permanently poison the limited water supplies, the population is normally higher than in other areas.