PDA

View Full Version : Crafts

baddbob
11th December 2011, 03:04
We had a thread for art work I would like to share a couple of my craft pictures.I got into macrame and wild vines over the summer,the one that looks like an eye represents universal consciousness

baddbob
13th December 2011, 22:06
Does anyone have any crafts to share with us ? the above another intrest is finding natural art. This is my animal stick and my one eye one arm frog

benevolentcrow
13th December 2011, 22:13
What a great idea, I am sure there are a lot of creative people here!

RMorgan
13th December 2011, 22:33
Great thread! You made some beautiful works with wood, my friend! I really loved them all!

Check out these instruments Ive made this year! :)

The first is a fretless five string gourd banjo, with capivara skin, mahogany and ebony.

The second is a seamstress box four string slide guitar, with a Ip box, a mahogany neck and aluminum fretboard. This seamstress box used to belong to my grandmother, which was the sweetest person Ive ever met...Ive made this guitar as a tribute to her. It sounds as good as her sweet voice. I miss you grandma! :)

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt7/rafaelmorgan2/banjo/Imagem0451.jpg

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt7/rafaelmorgan2/banjo/Imagem0449.jpg

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt7/rafaelmorgan2/banjo/Imagem0448.jpg

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt7/rafaelmorgan2/banjo/Imagem0445.jpg

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt7/rafaelmorgan2/banjo/Imagem0446.jpg

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt7/rafaelmorgan2/banjo/Imagem0447.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality. Ive just shot them with the cell phone, and the lighting conditions arent the best right now as well!

Cheers,

Raf. :)

baddbob
13th December 2011, 22:39
Those are awsome. I love the sound of a banjo does it have the same sound. I love the mahogany ebony very traditional

RMorgan
13th December 2011, 22:47
Those are awsome. I love the sound of a banjo does it have the same sound. I love the mahogany ebony very traditional

Thanks Bob! Yep, it sounds like a banjo, it plays like a banjo! However, the sound is very organic and rich in low and mid tones. The strings are made from nylgut, which is a material that simulates all tonal characteristics of the old traditional gut strings...So I guess it sounds more like a banjo from 200 years ago, not the contemporary banjo.

The guitar sounds like a classic slide guitar, but it plays different, because it has only four string and use a non-conventional tuning. Ive made the electric pick-up as well and it sounds pretty good plugged to an amp. The aluminum fretboard glued into the mahogany neck makes a important part of the set-up. Aluminum is great conducting sound; much better than many expensive woods.

Im glad you liked them! Your work with the woods is pretty cool as well!! Very organic and spiritual!! Working with wood is not for everyone...Its a spiritual thing. :)

Cheers,

Raf.

Cartomancer
13th December 2011, 22:51
I have just finished the body to an electric guitar I am making. It has a telecaster style body and is hollow w/ a central core of ash. I'm ordering a neck w/in the next week. Will post pics as soon as its done in about a week. I'm trying to work up the nerve to build an acoustic guitar. While unemployed so far I have written a book and now building guitars. Nice post. :cool:

RMorgan
13th December 2011, 22:57
I have just finished the body to an electric guitar I am making. It has a telecaster style body and is hollow w/ a central core of ash. I'm ordering a neck w/in the next week. Will post pics as soon as its done in about a week. I'm trying to work up the nerve to build an acoustic guitar. While unemployed so far I have written a book and now building guitars. Nice post. :cool:

Good to know that! Dont forget to post some pics here!! Theres nothing like making your own stuff (instruments, furniture, decorations, etc...)!

Now Im making only rustic instruments, because I want to connect with the roots of music, but I used to work on a very good custom guitar shop, and Ive built many electric guitars, including some telecasters. Ash is a great tonal wood. I bet it will sound great! :)

Cheers,

Raf.

bodhii71
13th December 2011, 23:01

A Regency Harp which is much further along, hoping to be done this week and a 17/16 Hammered Dulcimer. Just started woodworking this year, always wanted to try my hand at building.

RMorgan
13th December 2011, 23:07
A Regency Harp which is much further along, hoping to be done this week and a 17/16 Hammered Dulcimer. Just started woodworking this year, always wanted to try my hand at building.

Wow!! What a challenge to build a concert harp!! Youre doing very well!!! The dulcimer is looking great as well (the only thing I dont like about these guys is this damn tuning pegs)!! Well done!!

bodhii71
13th December 2011, 23:19
TY RMorgan. They have both been head scratchers, lol. Damn near ruined the harp a couple of times. The dulcimer was for my sister, I did the initial tuning, now it's her problem :-)
If i may, how did you attach the neck to the gourd?

RMorgan
13th December 2011, 23:35
TY RMorgan. They have both been head scratchers, lol. Damn near ruined the harp a couple of times. The dulcimer was for my sister, I did the initial tuning, now it's her problem :-)
If i may, how did you attach the neck to the gourd?

Oh man!! Tuning that dulcimer must be pretty hard, specially until the strings settle properly! :)

If you look carefully, you can see that the neck goes trough the gourd by two holes. Its a one piece solid, hand sculpted, mahogany neck. Ive left a 3cm space above it, so the skin could vibrate freely. In fact, the neck is not attached; its held in place by string tension. Once you remove the strings, you can take off the neck for maintenance. ;)

The ebony bridge is also held in place by string tension. It just rests above the skin, which allows fine tuning for the correct intonation.

Cheers,

Raf.