PDA

View Full Version : Global What?!?

Second Son
12th December 2011, 15:29
I think this is a huge and pivotal issue today, and thought also it was worth posting in the General Discussion section, but Mods please move this thread if you think it needs to be somewhere else.

This is a post about discovery, and doing one's own research. I just decided one day to do some of my own delving into this issue of so called man made "Global Warming" which then became "Climate Change". Whatever you call it the premiss behind it is this: That man-made gasses (namely CO2) create a reflective film of molecules, and that this film, similar to the plastic covering on a green house, traps the heat, causing temperature increases. I realize that the following data will not matter to some, because there are those geniuses out there who believe that this dire situation sometimes totally reverses, and traps the cold! If you are one of that scholarly bunch, avert your eyes, please, there is nothing to see here.

So what is really happening? I decided to find out, starting in my own country, the Us of A. I opened up a search engine, and typed the words "record low temperatures in________" just to see what would appear. The facts may astound you! The first search result gave me the state of Florida, the sunshine state! Here is the article...

Record lows chilled Florida from top to bottom, last year, endangering fruit crops and taxing the power grid. The National Weather Service reported 36 degrees at the Miami airport, beating an 82-year-old record of 37 degrees. It dipped to 42 degrees in Key West, one degree off the record and the second-coldest reading since 1873.
"I even had ice on my car this morning, which was an unbelievable sight for Miami," said Dan Gregoria, meteorologist with the National Weather Service.
It was 14 degrees Monday morning in, Tallahassee, breaking the record of 15 set in 1982. Record-tying lows of 29 were observed in Orlando, and Tampa's 25-degree weather beat its old record of 27.
South Florida is usually around 68 degrees this time of year.

So I decided to get a bigger picture where the US is concerned at least, so I decided to hit all four corners and one random spot on the middle, a great big "X" if you will. So I went up to New England (where I am from), here's what I saw:

On the morning of Jan.16, 2009, as New England was under the grip of an arctic blast, an all-time low temperature of -50° Fahrenheit was recorded for Maine near Caribou.  It was recorded between 7:00 and 7:30 am EST at a U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) stream gage on the Big Black River near Depot Mountain in northwestern Maine. The previous record, -48° Fahrenheit was set in Van Buren, Maine almost 84 years earlier, on Jan.19, 1925.

I then went up to Washington State, and found this:

For three weeks beginning on January 12, 1950, extreme cold and heavy snow grip Washington state. It is one of the state's worst winter outbreaks of the twentieth century. Further searching showed the record low was in 1968.

Then down to California and found this in an article written July 29, 2010.

The unusually cool summer continued in Southern California, where several new record-low temperatures were recorded on Wednesday.
The 68-degree low at Los Angeles International Airport broke the old record low for the day, which was 70 degrees in 1991. Santa Barbara (68) and San Luis Obispo (69) broke records as well.
The temperature at USC, 75, tied the record low set in 1999. UCLA also set a record, 56 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.
While the region saw a heat wave a few weeks ago, temperatures have been gradually going down again as July comes to an end.
June was also marked by gloomy conditions and lower-than-normal temperatures.

And then (as promised) to roughly the center of the country, New Mexico, where I found this article from Feb 4, 2011:

The villages of Angel Fire and Eagle Nest in Northern New Mexico boasted the coldest temperature in the country at -36 F (-37.7 C) on Thursday morning.  Albuquerque set a record low temperature of -7 F (-21.6 C) surpassing the previous low set in 1939.  Five other cities set all-time records, Moriarty -34 F, Pecos -31 F, Ruidoso -27, Capitan -22, and Socorro -14.  Moriarty is about 40 miles East of Albuquerque on the East side of the Sandia Mountains.  Temperature highs around the state ranged from a low of 9 F at Ruidoso to 25 F in Silver City in Southwest New Mexico.   I recorded a high of 18 F (-7.7 C) for the day.  Winds here were less of a factor than previous days with a high reading of only 9 mph. As a result of the unusually cold temperatures, approximately 32,000 people around the state are still without natural gas as a result of frozen regulators in the pipe line coming out of Texas.

Weel folks, it seems to me that ALL of these records well set well after the industrial revolution and its attendant man-made pollution entered the scene.

If any of you want to have some fun with me, just do what I did do an internet search for "record low temperatures in_____" then type a country, any country. If the results don't completely astound you, then you, like me are already well aware that if the world governments are pushing something down our throats and calling it fact, the real fact is, that it is 180 degrees from it.

Welcome to upside down world folks, please keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times!

Mark
12th December 2011, 16:02
Global warming is great business for a few folks. The science of CO2 and other choroflorocarbons, greenhouse gases and other particulates being responsible for either warming or cooling incorporates both extremes, really. The ozone layer is supposedly located up in the stratosphere, where temperature begins to increase again resulting in the excitation of the molecules, making the move faster, creating ozone out of the collision of oxygen molecules. The whole "heat capture" idea is a general trend not a rule for the entire planet, as local conditions in different places are often dependent upon conditions there that may be anomalous when compared to global conditions. Like the difference between tornadoes and hurricanes. Same idea, different scale. Tornadoes can happen anywhere, but they are generally confined to certain kinds of places. It can get cold anywhere, but it generally follows certain rules about where, when and how. But I'm not sure about the validity of any of that anymore.

Warming, cooling, even the tilt o the axis of the earth, or which direction North is in, generally. I'm not even sure if the theory of Interglacials and Ice Ages is true anymore. If it is, we're potentially at the end of an Interglacial and about to enter into another Ice Age. Or, the release of oil from the Macondo Well affected the loop current in the Gulf of Mexico, which in turn affected the Gulf Stream that warms Europe and the Northern hemisphere in general and a resultant cooling is what we are seeing. So many theories, so few facts. I guess only time will tell.

Second Son
12th December 2011, 16:05
Germany: All-time October record low recorded in Bavaria in 2009

French Alps: Jan 14, 2009: Skiinfo’s french office reports the country has seen its lowest temperatures, below -20C, at the greatest extreme, in the past week.

Australia: A new Australian record was set early this morning, a temperature of minus 13 degrees, at Charlotte Pass on the Snowy Mountains. This in April 29, 2009.

Africa: DAKAR, 20 February 2009 Near-freezing temperatures in north-central Guinea in January destroyed crops and livestock on which thousands of people depend for food as well as cash. Elderly locals told IRIN they had never seen cold this intense in Mali, a town in Guinea’s Labé region.

Ukraine: From 2006: Some 589 people died from the cold in Ukraine during record low temperatures from January 16 to 31, the health ministry said yesterday. Nearly 7,000 Ukrainians asked for medical help as temperatures fell to -25C (-13 F) but only about half needed hospital treatment.

India: 2009, India’s largest city experienced a record low temperature nearly two weeks ago, part of a stretch of cold weather that has gripped the city much of this month. The financial hub of India saw temperatures plunge to 6.5 degrees Celsius February 8, the lowest temperature ever recorded in the city. The previous low, recorded January 27th, 1962, was 7.4 degrees. Such temperatures are almost unheard of in the subtropical city that rarely experiences cold due to its coastal position near the hot Arabian Sea.

China: Here's a headline you are gonna love! "China Blames Freak Storm on Global Warming". BEIJING: Freak snowstorms and record low temperatures sweeping northern China are linked to global warming, say Chinese officials.
But, unlike the unseasonal snow falls that hit Beijing at the start of winter, the dump this week appears to have no link to the Government's relentless efforts to change the micro climate.
There are about 2000 weather modification offices in China, according to the media, which are responsible for bombing the skies with silver iodide to induce precipitation.

Second Son
12th December 2011, 16:14
Most of the record setting temperatures worldwide came before the BP well blew, and certainly the trend of dropping temperatures was in place prior to the the Gulf Loop being compromised. The changes occur, because changes happen on a planet wide scale, they have happened in the past, and will happen in the future. We study all of these (perhaps dozens) of cases of global mass extinctions in the past, BEFORE the invention of the internal combustion engine, and yet we believe the pinheads in their lab coats when they tell us WE are responsible. NO WAY, not on my watch.

Second Son
12th December 2011, 16:24
Report: Temperature Monitors Report Widescale Global Cooling (Daily Tech – February 26, 2008)
Excerpt: All four major global temperature tracking outlets (Hadley, NASA's GISS, UAH, RSS) have released updated data. All show that over the past year, global temperatures have dropped precipitously. A compiled list of all the sources can be seen here. The total amount of cooling ranges from 0.65C up to 0.75C -- a value large enough to erase nearly all the global warming recorded over the past 100 years. All in one year time. For all sources, it's the single fastest temperature change every recorded, either up or down. […] Over the past year, anecdotal evidence for a cooling planet has exploded. China has its coldest winter in 100 years. Baghdad sees its first snow in all recorded history. North America has the most snowcover in 50 years, with places like Wisconsin the highest since record-keeping began. Record levels of Antarctic sea ice, record cold in Minnesota, Texas, Florida, Mexico, Australia, Iran, Greece, South Africa, Greenland, Argentina, Chile -- the list goes on and on. No more than anecdotal evidence, to be sure. But now, that evidence has been supplanted by hard scientific fact. All four major global temperature tracking outlets (Hadley, NASA's GISS, UAH, RSS) have released updated data. All show that over the past year, global temperatures have dropped precipitously.

Forget Global Warming: Welcome to the new Ice Age (Canada's National Post – Feb. 25, 2008)
Excerpt: Snow cover over North America and much of Siberia, Mongolia and China is greater than at any time since 1966. The U.S. National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) reported that many American cities and towns suffered record cold temperatures in January and early February. According to the NCDC, the average temperature in January "was -0.3 F cooler than the 1901-2000 (20th century) average." China is surviving its most brutal winter in a century. Temperatures in the normally balmy south were so low for so long that some middle-sized cities went days and even weeks without electricity because once power lines had toppled it was too cold or too icy to repair them. And remember the Arctic Sea ice? The ice we were told so hysterically last fall had melted to its "lowest levels on record? Never mind that those records only date back as far as 1972 and that there is anthropological and geological evidence of much greater melts in the past. The ice is back. Gilles Langis, a senior forecaster with the Canadian Ice Service in Ottawa, says the Arctic winter has been so severe the ice has not only recovered, it is actually 10 to 20 cm thicker in many places than at this time last year. […]Last month, Oleg Sorokhtin, a fellow of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, shrugged off manmade climate change as "a drop in the bucket." Showing that solar activity has entered an inactive phase, Prof. Sorokhtin advised people to "stock up on fur coats." He is not alone. Kenneth Tapping of our own National Research Council, who oversees a giant radio telescope focused on the sun, is convinced we are in for a long period of severely cold weather if sunspot activity does not pick up soon. The last time the sun was this inactive, Earth suffered the Little Ice Age that lasted about five centuries and ended in 1850. Crops failed through killer frosts and drought. Famine, plague and war were widespread. Harbours froze, so did rivers, and trade ceased. It's way too early to claim the same is about to happen again, but then it's way too early for the hysteria of the global warmers, too.

Arctic Sea Ice Sees 'Significant Increase' in Size Following 'Extreme Cold' (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation -CBC – February 15, 2008)

Excerpt: There's an upside to the extreme cold temperatures northern Canadians have endured in the last few weeks: scientists say it's been helping winter sea ice grow across the Arctic, where the ice shrank to record-low levels last year. Temperatures have stayed well in the -30s C and -40s C range since late January throughout the North, with the mercury dipping past -50 C in some areas. Satellite images are showing that the cold spell is helping the sea ice expand in coverage by about 2 million square kilometres, compared to the average winter coverage in the previous three years. "It's nice to know that the ice is recovering," Josefino Comiso, a senior research scientist with the Cryospheric Sciences Branch of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Centre in Maryland, told CBC News on Thursday. […] Winter sea ice could keep expanding. The cold is also making the ice thicker in some areas, compared to recorded thicknesses last year, Lagnis added. "The ice is about 10 to 20 centimetres thicker than last year, so that's a significant increase," he said. If temperatures remain cold this winter, Langis said winter sea ice coverage will continue to expand.

Ice between Canada and Greenland reaches highest level in 15 years (Greenland’s Sermitsiak News – February 12, 2008)

Excerpt: Minus 30 degrees Celsius. That's how cold it's been in large parts of western Greenland where the population has been bundling up in hats and scarves. At the same time, Denmark's Meteorological Institute states that the ice between Canada and southwest Greenland right now has reached its greatest extent in 15 years. 'Satellite pictures show that the ice expansion has extended farther south this year. In fact, it's a bit past the Nuuk area. We have to go back 15 years to find ice expansion so far south. On the eastern coast it hasn't been colder than normal, but there has been a good amount of snow.'

New Peer-Reviewed Study Shows Arctic COOLING Over last 1500 years
(Study published in Climate Dynamics, and the work was conducted by Håkan Grudd of Stockholm University’s Department of Physical Geography and Quaternary Geology - Published online: 30 January 2008)
Excerpt: “The late-twentieth century is not exceptionally warm in the new Torneträsk record: On decadal-to-century timescales, periods around AD 750, 1000, 1400, and 1750 were all equally warm, or warmer. The warmest summers in this new reconstruction occur in a 200-year period centred on AD 1000. A ‘Medieval Warm Period’ is supported by other paleoclimate evidence from northern Fennoscandia, although the new tree-ring evidence from Tornetraäsk suggests that this period was much warmer than previously recognised.” < > “The new Torneträsk summer temperature reconstruction shows a trend of -0.3°C over the last 1,500 years.” Paper available here: & Full Paper (pdf) available here: (LINK)

Antarctic Summer Thaw 'Later Than Normal' (AccuWeather Global Warming News – February 6, 2008)
Excerpt: Actually, the summer thaw down there was later than normal, and NASA believes that La Nina might have something to do with that. Usually, the breakup of fast ice around the Antarctica Peninsula occurs in early to mid-December, but this area was solidly frozen well into January. By the way, according to the Polar Research Group at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the current southern hemispheric sea-ice area is at 2.9 million sq/km, which is about 400,000 sq/km greater than the normal level expected for this time of year, or slightly above-normal. Based on the latest trend on the chart, it appears that the southern hemispheric sea-ice area could be right at normal by March.

Global warming sceptics bouyed by record cold (UK Telegraph – February 26, 2008)
Excerpt: Global warming sceptics are pointing to recent record cold temperatures in parts of North America and Asia and the return of Arctic Sea ice to suggest fears about climate change may be overblown. According to the US National Climatic Data Center (NCDC), the average temperature of the global land surface in January 2008 was below the 20th century mean (-0.02°F/-0.01°C) for the first time since 1982. […]Asked about the Arctic ice cover, Gilles Langis, a senior forecaster with the Canadian Ice Service in Ottawa, told the Post the Arctic winter had been so severe, the ice has not only recovered but was actually 10 to 20 cm thicker in many places than the same time last year. "

GLOBAL WARMING? IT’S THE COLDEST WINTER IN DECADES (UK Daily Express – Feb. 18, 2008)
Excerpt: NEW evidence has cast doubt on claims that the world’s ice-caps are melting, it emerged last night. Satellite data shows that concerns over the levels of sea ice may have been premature. It was feared that the polar caps were vanishing because of the effects of global warming. But figures from the respected US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration show that almost all the “lost” ice has come back. Ice levels which had shrunk from 13million sq km in January 2007 to just four million in October, are almost back to their original levels. Figures show that there is nearly a third more ice in Antarctica than is usual for the time of year. The data flies in the face of many current thinkers and will be seized on by climate change sceptics who deny that the world is undergoing global warming. […] Central and southern China, the USA and Canada were hit hard by snowstorms. Even the Middle East saw snow, with Jerusalem, Damascus, Amman and northern Saudi Arabia reporting the heaviest falls in years and below-zero temperatures. Meanwhile, in Afghanistan snow and freezing weather killed 120 people.

Report: Sun's 'disturbingly quiet' cycle prompts fear of global COOLING (February 8, 2008 - Investor’s Business Daily)
Excerpt: Now, Canadian scientists are seeking additional funding for more and better "eyes" with which to observe our sun, which has a bigger impact on Earth's climate than all the tailpipes and smokestacks on our planet combined. And they're worried about global cooling, not warming.

Mark (Star Mariner)
12th December 2011, 16:39
It hit about -25 C in the UK last winter, and prolonged periods of extreme cold and heavy snow, making it one of the coldest winters on record. In fact the last three winters here have been quite severe.

However this winter so far has been very ordinary, in fact unusually mild. Today it is 8C, which is probably a good 10 degrees warmer than what you might expect. No snow at all so far, except in mountainous regions, and hardly any frosts either. One wonders what that means.

Second Son
12th December 2011, 16:52
Here in Vermont, white Christmases were always the exception, and not the norm. I remember as a kid hoping I would wake up to snow on Christmas day, so I could go sledding, etc., but that happened about one out of every three holidays. Well, THIS YEAR we had a white Halloween, a white Thanksgiving, and if the present trend continues, we will obviously have a white Christmas as well.

We actually had so much snow just before Halloween in parts of New England (31 inches of heavy wet snow fell in a day) that there were 100's of thousands of families without electricity, some for weeks. Halloween was actually postponed in parts of Connecticut to the following week because of the freak storm.

Second Son
12th December 2011, 17:09
Solar data suggest our concerns should be about global cooling – (By Geologist David Archibald of Summa Development Limited in Australia – March 2008 Scientific Paper)
Excerpt: Solar Cycle 24: Implications for the United StatesExcerpt: I will demonstrate that the Sun drives climate, and use that demonstrated relationship to predict the Earth’s climate to 2030. It is a prediction that differs from most in the public domain. It is a prediction of imminent cooling. […] The carbon dioxide that Mankind will put into the atmosphere over the next few hundred years will offset a couple of millenia of post-Holocene Optimum cooling before we plunge into the next ice age. There are no deleterious consequences of higher atmospheric carbon dioxide levels. Higher atmospheric carbon dioxide levels are wholly beneficial.

Report: Too Much Ice = Polar Bears Starving? (Scientist Philip Stott’s Global Warming Politics – February 15, 2008)
Excerpt: Apparently, according to a report, Svend Erik Hendriksen, a certified weather observer in the Kangerlussuaq Greenland MET Office, who is responsible for all the weather observations at Kangerlussuaq Airport (near to Sisimiut), says that the cause is too much sea ice: “Several polar bears located (at least 6) close to Sisimiut town on the West coast ...Too much sea ice, so they are very hungry...Error number 36 in the movie An Inconvenient Truth Al Gore says the polar bear need more ice to survive... Now we have a lot of ice, but the polar bear is starving and find their food at the garbage dumps in towns. It's also influence the local community, polar bear alerts, keep kids away from the schools and so on.... The first one was shot at February 1st.” Sadly, that “first one” is the poor female hung out in the newspaper photograp.

Report: Solar Activity Diminishes; Researchers Predict Another Ice Age - Sunspots have all but vanished in recent years. (Daily Tech – February 9, 2008)
Excerpt: In 2005, Russian astronomer Khabibullo Abdusamatov predicted the sun would soon peak, triggering a rapid decline in world temperatures. Only last month, the view was echoed by Dr. Oleg Sorokhtin, a fellow of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences. who advised the world to "stock up on fur coats." Sorokhtin, who calls man's contribution to climate change "a drop in the bucket," predicts the solar minimum to occur by the year 2040, with icy weather lasting till 2100 or beyond. Observational data seems to support the claims -- or doesn't contradict it, at least. […] Researcher Dr. Timothy Patterson, director of the Geoscience Center at Carleton University, shares the concern. Patterson is finding "excellent correlations" between solar fluctuations, a relationship that historically, he says doesn't exist between CO2 and past climate changes.

Snow Returns to Mount Kilimanjaro (International Herald Tribune – January 21, 2008)
Excerpt: I had wanted to climb to the roof of Africa before climate change erased its ice fields and the romance of its iconic "Snows of Kilimanjaro" image. But as we trudged across the 12,000-foot Shira plateau on Day 2 of our weeklong climb and gazed at the whiteness of the vast, humpbacked summit, I thought maybe I needn't have worried. An up-and-down-and-up traverse of the south face of Kibo, the tallest of the mountain's three volcanic peaks, showed us a panorama of the summit ice cap and fractured tentacles of glacial ice that dangled down gullies dividing the vertical rock faces. And four days later, when we reached 19,340-foot Uhuru, the highest point on Kibo, we beheld snow and ice fields so enormous as to resemble the Arctic. It looked nothing like the photographs of Kibo nearly denuded of ice and snow in the Al Gore documentary "An Inconvenient Truth." Nor did it seem to jibe with the film's narrative: "Within the decade, there will be no more snows of Kilimanjaro." […] But several weeks of heavy rain and snow preceded the arrival of our group, 10 mountaineering clients and a professional guide from International Mountain Guides, based near Seattle. That made for a freakishly well-fed snow pack and the classic snowy image portrayed on travel posters, the label of the local Kilimanjaro Premium Lager and the T-shirts hawked in Moshi's tourist bazaars. But to many climate scientists and glaciologists who have probed and measured, the disappearance of the summit's ice fields is inevitable and imminent. […] Patchy snow covered the upper slopes above approximately 18,500 feet. At dawn, as we reached Stella Point at the lower lip of Kibo's summit crater, the fluted walls of the flat-topped Rebmann Glacier stretched out to our left. Snow blanketed the summit area, a mile and a half wide and hemmed by glaciers. Uhuru, the highest point in all Africa, was a 45-minute slog ahead. - See photo of snows return on Mount Kilimanjaro here.

Greenland climate not varying from ‘natural climate variability’ (Greenie Watch - Dec. 2007)
Excerpt: RECENT PAPER ON THE HISTORY OF GREENLAND ICE MASS Showing that, although the Greenland melt has increased during the 1992-2006 period, the melt was even higher in 1900s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. So there is no indication that the current melt is above natural climate variability. Of course people who look just on the 1990 to 2007 period "see" great melting acceleration and influence of carbon dioxide and anthropogenic climate change.

Scientist predicts 'Coming of a New Ice Age' (Winningreen February 2008 ) (By Gerald Marsh. retired physicist from the Argonne National Laboratory and a former consultant to the Department of Defense on strategic nuclear technology and policy in the Reagan, Bush, and Clinton Administration.)
Excerpt: Contrary to the conventional wisdom of the day, the real danger facing humanity is not global warming, but more likely the coming of a new Ice Age. What we live in now is known as an interglacial, a relatively brief period between long ice ages. Unfortunately for us, most interglacial periods last only about ten thousand years, and that is how long it has been since the last Ice Age ended. How much longer do we have before the ice begins to spread across the Earth's surface? Less than a hundred years or several hundred? We simply don't know. Even if all the temperature increase over the last century is attributable to human activities, the rise has been relatively modest one of a little over one degree Fahrenheit — an increase well within natural variations over the last few thousand years. […] NASA has predicted that the solar cycle peaking in 2022 could be one of the weakest in centuries and should cause a very significant cooling of Earth's climate. Will this be the trigger that initiates a new Ice Age? We ought to carefully consider this possibility before we wipe out our current prosperity by spending trillions of dollars to combat a perceived global warming threat that may well prove to be only a will-o-the-wisp. [See also the U.S. Senate Report released December 20, 2007, “Over 400 Prominent Scientists Disputed Man-Made Global Warming Claims in 2007” - LINK ]

# # #

Related Links:

Senate Minority Report: Over 400 Prominent Scientists Disputed Man-Made Global Warming Claims in 2007

Senate Minority Report Debunks Polar Bear Extinction Fears