PDA

View Full Version : Ancestors

jagman
13th December 2011, 23:41
A few years back my eldest son Jason was doing our family tree and he found
out, That my great great great great great grandfather ( I might have missed a "great"lol)
Was Brig. Gen. Francis Nash. He served under General George Washington.
He fought at the Battle of Trenton and was killed at the Battle of Germantown, PA, where he was wounded and died a few days later.
Washington Wrote "He was brave soldier and a trusted friend".

I was just interested if anyone here had any good family history they would like to share?
:welcome:

Maknocktomb
13th December 2011, 23:46
I learned that on my mother's side of the family that I am related to Daniel Boone as most of my mothers family was from Kentucky about 80 years ago.

RMorgan
13th December 2011, 23:48
Hey Jagman,

Thatīs pretty cool!

How about if I tell you that Iīve recently found out that one of my most illustrious ancestors was the famous pirate Henry Morgan! :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/Morgan%2CHenry.jpg

link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Morgan

"Admiral Sir Henry Morgan (Harri Morgan in Welsh; ca. 1635 – 25 August 1688) was an Admiral of the Royal Navy, a privateer, and a pirate[1][2][3] who made a name for himself during activities in the Caribbean, primarily raiding Spanish settlements. He was one of the most notorious and successful privateers of all time, and one of the most ruthless who worked in the Spanish Main."

Cheers,

Raf.

jagman
13th December 2011, 23:55
I learned that on my mother's side of the family that I am related to Daniel Boone as most of my mothers family was from Kentucky about 80 years ago.

Did you know Daniel Boone was said to have encountered A bigfoot creature?
He reportedly shot and killed the creature. Just one of my useless facts of Knowledge. lol:p

WhiteFeather
14th December 2011, 00:04
I wish my Great 3X Grandfather was Crazy Horse, Damn he kicked some ass on the white man.

" Chief Crazy Horse"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b1/Crazy_Horse_1877.jpg

"Upon suffering beyond suffering: the Red Nation shall rise again and it shall be a blessing for a sick world. A world filled with broken promises, selfishness and separations. A world longing for light again. I see a time of Seven Generations when all the colors of mankind will gather under the Sacred Tree of Life and the whole Earth will become one circle again. In that day, there will be those among the Lakota who will carry knowledge and understanding of unity among all living things and the young white ones will come to those of my people and ask for this wisdom. I salute the light within your eyes where the whole Universe dwells. For when you are at that center within you and I am that place within me, we shall be one." - Chief Crazy Horse, Oglala Sioux

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xsn6fnivkw&feature=related

Kristo
14th December 2011, 00:06
One of my ancestors was reportedly one of President Roosevelt's 'Rough Riders'. My mother has a photo of him in a group setting, but I never paid much attention. Now that I'm older, I am a bit intrigued. Thanks for shaking the cobwebs Jag!

jagman
14th December 2011, 00:07
Hey Jagman,

Thatīs pretty cool!

How about if I tell you that Iīve recently found out that one of my most illustrious ancestors was the famous pirate Henry Morgan! :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/Morgan%2CHenry.jpg

link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Morgan

"Admiral Sir Henry Morgan (Harri Morgan in Welsh; ca. 1635 – 25 August 1688) was an Admiral of the Royal Navy, a privateer, and a pirate[1][2][3] who made a name for himself during activities in the Caribbean, primarily raiding Spanish settlements. He was one of the most notorious and successful privateers of all time, and one of the most ruthless who worked in the Spanish Main."

Cheers,

Raf.

Now that is a kool ancestor!:wave:

jagman
14th December 2011, 00:13
I wish my Great 3X Grandfather was Crazy Horse, Damn he kicked some ass on the white man.

"Chief Crazy Horse"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b1/Crazy_Horse_1877.jpg

"Upon suffering beyond suffering, the Red Nation shall rise again and it shall be a blessing for a sick world.
A world of broken promises, selfishness and separations, a world longing for light again.
I see a time of Seven Generations when all the colours of mankind will gather under the Sacred Tree of Life and the whole earth will become one circle again....
I salute the light within your eyes where the whole universe dwells. For when you are at that centre within you, and I am at that place within me, we shall be one."
Chief Crazy Horse, Oglala Sioux, 1877

WhiteFeather My great great grandmother was a full blooded Cherokee,
I feel you brother.:thumb:

pickle
14th December 2011, 00:16
I wish my Great 3X Grandfather was Crazy Horse, ........"Upon suffering beyond suffering, the Red Nation shall rise again and it shall be a blessing for a sick world.

A world of broken promises, selfishness and separations, a world longing for light again.

I see a time of Seven Generations when all the colours of mankind will gather under the Sacred Tree of Life and the whole earth will become one circle again....
I salute the light within your eyes where the whole universe dwells. For when you are at that centre within you, and I am at that place within me, we shall be one."
Chief Crazy Horse, Oglala Sioux, 1877[/SIZE][/B]

Thanks so much for posting this WhiteFeather, so few words and simply beautiful, and I really hope, true.

John

misericordia
14th December 2011, 00:25
Hi Jagman.

Thank you for sharing your ancestral story with us. Family on mothers side are related to Pope Pius IX. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Pius_IX. During WW2 her grandparents fled Italy on a ship bound to Brazil. Some time after moving to Brazil they received a letter from the Vatican informing them of a papal inheritance they were eligible to claim if they returned to Italy and followed the necessary legal processes. Her grandfather however overwhelmed by the stresses of war etc disregarded the letter and ever since nobody from the family has ever seen it again.

:) I realize that the story seems fictional but I can assure you of it's validity!

jagman
14th December 2011, 00:28
One of my ancestors was reportedly one of President Roosevelt's 'Rough Riders'. My mother has a photo of him in a group setting, but I never paid much attention. Now that I'm older, I am a bit intrigued. Thanks for shaking the cobwebs Jag!

That was an awesome find Kristo. I wrote a paper on the Rough Riders and
Roosevelt early in high school.:nerd:

NancyV
14th December 2011, 00:28
My grandmother's great grandmother's name was Annie Crockett. She was a cousin of Davy Crockett who died at the battle of the Alamo in 1836. My grandmother, who was born in 1887, was a genealogy enthusiast. She spent a lot of time writing to relatives to get information and eventually traced the French side of our ancestry back to Charlemagne, king of the Franks then emperor of Rome in the early 800's. Because of our French heritage my mother named me after the city, Nancy, in France.

jagman
14th December 2011, 00:38
Hi Jagman.

Thank you for sharing your ancestral story with us. Family on mothers side are related to Pope Pius IX. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Pius_IX. During WW2 her grandparents fled Italy on a ship bound to Brazil. Some time after moving to Brazil they received a letter from the Vatican informing them of a papal inheritance they were eligible to claim if they returned to Italy and followed the necessary legal processes. Her grandfather however overwhelmed by the stresses of war etc disregarded the letter and ever since nobody from the family has ever seen it again.

:) I realize that the story seems fictional but I can assure you of it's validity!

Very kool story! This is what i was hoping for when i started this thread!:boom:

jagman
14th December 2011, 00:54
My grandmother's great grandmother's name was Annie Crockett. She was a cousin of Davy Crockett who died at the battle of the Alamo in 1836. My grandmother, who was born in 1887, was a genealogy enthusiast. She spent a lot of time writing to relatives to get information and eventually traced the French side of our ancestry back to Charlemagne, king of the Franks then emperor of Rome in the early 800's. Because of our French heritage my mother named me after the city, Nancy, in France.

Remember the Alamo. very kool.:typing:

mosquito
14th December 2011, 01:37
"Upon suffering beyond suffering: the Red Nation shall rise again and it shall be a blessing for a sick world. A world filled with broken promises, selfishness and separations. A world longing for light again. I see a time of Seven Generations when all the colors of mankind will gather under the Sacred Tree of Life and the whole Earth will become one circle again. In that day, there will be those among the Lakota who will carry knowledge and understanding of unity among all living things and the young white ones will come to those of my people and ask for this wisdom. I salute the light within your eyes where the whole Universe dwells. For when you are at that center within you and I am that place within me, we shall be one." - Chief Crazy Horse, Oglala Sioux

Thank you for that. I hope that some day soon these prophetic words of wisdom will come true

Nobody famous in my family, as far as I know (unless you count God of course)

alienHunter
14th December 2011, 01:57
A few years back my eldest son Jason was doing our family tree and he found
out, That my great great great great great grandfather ( I might have missed a "great"lol)
Was Brig. Gen. Francis Nash. He served under General George Washington.
He fought at the Battle of Trenton and was killed at the Battle of Germantown, PA, where he was wounded and died a few days later.
Washington Wrote "He was brave soldier and a trusted friend".

I was just interested if anyone here had any good family history they would like to share?
:welcome:

My adoptive father always said he was related to Pancho Villa...

CeltMan
14th December 2011, 17:11
Interesting post.

Hmmmm, no I think not, 'need to know basis'.//privacy.........T.M.I.