PDA

View Full Version : Mixed martial arts

pharoah21
21st December 2011, 13:26
:boxing: What do we think of fight sports such as Kickboxing, Muay Thai and the UFC? Yay or nay.

I must say I'm a fan, especially a fan of those fighters who are very humble, and inspire others. Many people say it's all blood and gore and nothing but violence, but others will counter this by showing how at the end of just about every fight, the two opponents will hug it out :hug:

I'm in my early 20's and quite athletic, and getting a bit tired of playing basketball all the time, and wanted to challenge myself with something else, and the two directions I'm going in are:

Grid Iron (American Football) and
Muay Thai/ Kickboxing and Brazilian Jui Jitsu (grappling/wrestling submission type martial art)

I'd love to get your opinions on fight sports people :)

kerbie
21st December 2011, 13:37
As someone who has trained in martial arts I would say that it always comes down to a good balance of martial and art. Every school, dojo, sensei, coach etc etc is different. Each with different ideals, methods and practises.

I believe that in order to be a secure person, you must know how to defend yourself. The goal of a good martial artist isnt to kick ass or to break bones, it's to carry yourself so that people won't want to fight you and to at least have the stamina to get away and save yourself.

I think that if everyone was taught how to use their own body to defend their own body, people would grow into adulthood a lot more smoothly.

wolf_rt
21st December 2011, 13:41
not really a fan of fighting as a sport, but not from a moral principal.. if two people want to fight for fun go ahead.

Martial arts training on the other hand, i can see the point of.

I'm a big fan of defensive styles such as Hapkido.
I enjoy the defense, strategy and dexterity more than brute force.

Offensively, i believe if the other person knows there in a fight, you've already lost.

You can see why sport fighting doesn't appeal to me.

I have never struck a person in anger... well.. once when i was 8 or 9.. lol

Grid iron is totally lost on me...

21st December 2011, 14:27
I'm a bonafide fan. I've studied many martial arts and find the physical and mental discipline a very spiritual experience. I love the fact that the meatheads in the UFC and Strikeforce etc don't last long against a disciplined tactician. It's like real chess where physical confrontation will always be a part of a physical dimension. Equally I haven't see colliding galaxies lament their intrusive behaviour.......

seantimberwolf
21st December 2011, 17:35
Hi Pharoah21, Seantimberwolf here!

I have studied many martial arts in my brief time on this earth,
From Aikido to MMA, even Krav Maga and Boxing, the later of which i was a very good under 18 amateur.
I believe that that as long as you always remember that a martial art is a WEAPON, first and foremost.
There are absolute idiots out there who learn martial arts to hurt others, and even worse, for there EGO.
EGO must be the first thing to go, my advice if your looking into martial arts mate is start with something that has more of a "zen" feel to it, your obviously an intelligent guy to even be on this site and not be a sheeple, so i would recommend a martial art that reflects that inner self and knowing, although MMA is very physical it can be as others have pointed out "meat headed"
So perhaps try something like Wing Chung, Most Chinese martial arts have more zen and promote better physiological reactions as well as the body reactions. Also the main ethos of Wing Chung is to remove your self from a direct line of harm and use other peoples negative energy against an attacker, almost like how we work on this forum towards TPTB ;)
I practice Wing Chung now and it is fantastic, and i have sparred with my MMA friends and there anger and short fuses always puts them in more danger than help them !
Anyway just a bit off food for thought, also you can make any martial art as intense as you want, supplement with intense workouts before, more compound anaerobic workouts than aerobic.

Kind regards, and good luck on your Truth Warrior path, Sean Timberwolf

Peace of Mind
21st December 2011, 17:52
I’ve study some of the arts (boxing, Capoeia, Tai Chi, Kimpo). As an athlete who loves gymnastics and played some simi-pro football…you get a sense of freedom and refinement when physically active in such a way. With that said…Martial Arts are mainly about the discipline and the artistry of the body and mind. It should never be used for entertainment (in this way)…only as a last resort for self defense. The sad thing is most of these MMA fighters use it to drive their egos and many of them aren’t as good as they think they are. Perhaps learning how to fight has giving some of them a delusional purpose…attempting to use it as a means for self recognition at the same time fading away a troublesome past… which inspired them to learn martial arts in the first place.. The sport is pure savagery and I cannot support it.

Peace

seantimberwolf
21st December 2011, 18:13
I’ve study some of the arts (boxing, Capoeia, Tai Chi, Kimpo). As an athlete who loves gymnastics and played some simi-pro football…you get a sense of freedom and refinement when physically active in such a way. With that said…Martial Arts are mainly about the discipline and the artistry of the body and mind. It should never be used for entertainment (in this way)…only as a last resort for self defense. The sad thing is most of these MMA fighters use it to drive their egos and many of them aren’t as good as they think they are. Perhaps learning how to fight has giving some of them a delusional purpose…attempting to use it as a means for self recognition at the same time fading away a troublesome past… which inspired them to learn martial arts in the first place.. The sport is pure savagery and I cannot support it.

Peace

I agree my friend, it took me going to a more peaceful and fulfilling martial art to realize that this fashon with MMA is nto my path.

Nortreb
21st December 2011, 18:24
:boxing: What do we think of fight sports such as Kickboxing, Muay Thai and the UFC? Yay or nay.

I must say I'm a fan, especially a fan of those fighters who are very humble, and inspire others. Many people say it's all blood and gore and nothing but violence, but others will counter this by showing how at the end of just about every fight, the two opponents will hug it out :hug:

I'm in my early 20's and quite athletic, and getting a bit tired of playing basketball all the time, and wanted to challenge myself with something else, and the two directions I'm going in are:

Grid Iron (American Football) and
Muay Thai/ Kickboxing and Brazilian Jui Jitsu (grappling/wrestling submission type martial art)

I'd love to get your opinions on fight sports people :)

I feel where you are coming from, Bro! Early 20's are a wonderful time to feel invincible!

I had professional football aspirations in my early 20's. Tryouts out of the Yinyang to make the cut. I blew my knee out at 24 and rehabilitated to make another try at 25 but reinjured the knee. After that I switched to BB and PL until 37. Thanks to the gradual introduction to the internal arts, I feel strong at 52. Everyday is a new beginning.

IMO, Mixed martial arts is a not way to train to feel the yang aspect. If it is not backed up by the yin aspect, one will be an old man at 40. ;)

Remember we spend more time at an advanced age than at the young explosive time. The trick is to balance all of the energies of the nervous system.

Have fun!

pharoah21
21st December 2011, 23:18
Thank you for all the responses, I definitely agree with the whole meat heads of the MMA thing, while there are a few guys in there who are humble and zen like, most are a bit too arrogant.

There's something about intense training, pushing your body to the limit, and risking injury which really appeals to me right now, I just feel it would bring out something deep within me, like an inner self that I don't know very well right now. As for competition, I don't know if I ever would enter one, there are a lot of reasons I'd say yes, and a lot that I'd say no, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

While BJJ and Muay Thai are not exactly considered 'zen' like, I'm hoping during my off days to start practicing yoga. This will provide me with a chance to stretch out my sore and tight muscles, aid in my recovery, and give me my zen kicks.

As someone who has trained in martial arts I would say that it always comes down to a good balance of martial and art

I've always believed this, that balance is the key to everything in life. Another reason why I wanted to start training is because at this age, the surges of testosterone do make me feel quite energetic in an aggressive kind of way, and my little brother isn't always down for wrestling :heh:
So no better way to deal with this drama than to start training in an organized martial art. I will be keeping tabs on my thoughts always, making sure I can keep ego to a minimum.

Thank you all again for your responses.

BestLion
24th December 2011, 12:30
I like to watch the UFC on videobb free.
I am so glad now those 'grapplers' are a thing of the past..so boring to watch them..they are a one horse pony show like Royce Gracie..who more less had 2 submission techniques in every fight "boring'. More less take a guy down and get him in the crucifix...YAWN!!! :sleep:
Glad to see now fighters like Jones who is mainly standup kick boxing. Much more interesting to watch him fight then one trick pony Gracie fighters.