PDA

View Full Version : Slingshot hunting and self defense

Unified Serenity
28th December 2011, 22:58
This is an interesting sling shot set up. I think there are a lot of benefits to using a sling shot.

1. small and easy to carry
2. easy to find / make ammo
3. can hunt small and big game with it
4. easy to teach how to use

repeating slingshot, I want one

hB8z1iH2tQ0

TargeT
28th December 2011, 23:19
I have a wrist rocket for moose in my back yard.. I dunno about hunting "big game" the moose don't really seem to care if I hit them....

now this might be a solution....

MACHETE SLINGSHOT:
TSU1jQoGIqo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSU1jQoGIqo

jorr lundstrom
28th December 2011, 23:22
This is an interesting sling shot set up. I think there are a lot of benefits to using a sling shot.

1. small and easy to carry
2. easy to find / make ammo
3. can hunt small and big game with it
4. easy to teach how to use

repeating slingshot, I want one

hB8z1iH2tQ0

XLNT little tool. But I prefer a stronger one with higher bullet velicity.

It must be able to penetrate a skull bone, not just annoy the target.

Unified Serenity
28th December 2011, 23:59
Well, I think if one gets the right band it could be of more use, but it's still pretty cool. I like the home made arrow shooting one:

NGIcCRJGYug

jorr lundstrom
29th December 2011, 00:13
As slingshots is one of my secret love affairs Ive seen this before. LOL

Its beautiful. Human creativity at its best. LOL

mojo
29th December 2011, 00:18
The post is very timely, and I have been wondering which type of personal protection would be wisest to pursue. Probably something like a slingshot since it requires no bullets, although still maybe the wisest be a gunor a shotgun. I have been wondering about a crossbow as well. I'm not sure you could make bolts that would hold up to high stress of the crossbow. Perhaps a recurve bow where you could make arrows from the forest. I have been wondering for a while and haven't decided... and low cost hopefully. I hope others can help me decide. Thanks

Unified Serenity
29th December 2011, 00:27
I think bollo's are quite useful as well. They take some skill.... where is an Aussie or native when you need one to teach you?

jorr lundstrom
29th December 2011, 00:42
The post is very timely, and I have been wondering which type of personal protection would be wisest to pursue. Probably something like a slingshot since it requires no bullets, although still maybe the wisest be a gunor a shotgun. I have been wondering about a crossbow as well. I'm not sure you could make bolts that would hold up to high stress of the crossbow. Perhaps a recurve bow where you could make arrows from the forest. I have been wondering for a while and haven't decided... and low cost hopefully. I hope others can help me decide. Thanks

I have a Gladiator compound bow 62 pound. Lovely playmate. LOL

With hunting arrows it takes down elks and boars.

ljwheat
6th January 2012, 22:44
The really nice feature about a wrist rocket sling shot is its mobility, and ammo is everywhere, and as a hiking back packer. It’s so important to keep the weight down low as possible, but when you run into a moose you’d want a 44 m in your pack for sure.

TargeT
6th January 2012, 23:33
The really nice feature about a wrist rocket sling shot is its mobility, and ammo is everywhere, and as a hiking back packer. It’s so important to keep the weight down low as possible, but when you run into a moose you’d want a 44 m in your pack for sure.

I carry a FN FiveseveN (5.7), against soft targets it does more damage than a .45 ACP... size isn't the only part of the equation, velocity has a lot todo with the trauma caused as well.

I think everyone should have a hand gun and a pump shotgun.. a rifle if you want to hunt (308 would be ideal.. great ammo) but a hand gun and shotgun for personal defense are key (IMO).

13th Warrior
6th January 2012, 23:38
I've used a slingshot plenty enough to know that although ammo is everywhere; quality ammo isn't and you need quality ammo if you want to hit anything on a consistent basis. I'd opt for a blow gun over a slingshot.

Unified Serenity
7th January 2012, 02:49
Hmm, how much can ball bearings cost? Just take apart a bell housing and there's plenty of ball bearings..... plus you can shoot arrows with a sling shot, and blow darts are not space efficient. I would have both, but I could only have 1 is would be a sling shot.

DNA
7th January 2012, 05:01
I think this is the right line of thought, but I'm pretty sure you are going to starve to death before having much success with a wrist rocket. I for one thought this would be a splendid idea, and I attempted to take down a quail. No good. It is hard to hit something as close as 20ft. And that is if they are standing still.
But it's still cool to have.
I have a bow, I would like a crossbow, and one of the new air guns would be cool.
The new air guns shoot pellets at like 1200 ft per second and that's as fast as a bullet.

An air rifle hog kill. Don't watch if killing a hog offends your sense of propriety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugyO7dcF1n8

wolf_rt
7th January 2012, 05:36
The 'automatic' slingshot is a fail in my opinion.. The accuracy and power of that thing would be terrible.
the arrow shooting one was a neat idea, but not really that useful, you would probably do more damage with the correct size BB i would think. though i guess it allows for the use of hunting tips.

I have a 30lb recurve bow.. great little thing, and it can be broken down easily for transport/storage, and you can use home made arrows in it accurately. The only problem i have with it is finding light enough arrows for it in the correct length (i have long arms)
powerful enough to bring down a kangaroo/person/medium game easily.

i wouldn't use wooden arrows in a bow over 40-50lbs (store brought wooden arrows are mostly worse than home made ones) they can easily shatter under the power and cause lethal injury to yourself.

i wouldn't recommend a crossbow for personal defense, they are a sniper weapon. If you need the power of a crossbow (what for?) you are better of with a high power rifle.. The only use i see for a crossbow is if a silenced rifle isn't quiet enough for your situation.

if your hunting large game i would say a 50-60lb compound bow is the ticket, any more than this and you can only draw it a few times before you get tired. (unless your built!)

also most 80lb compound bows have a high 'let off' (ie. the weight you have to hold at full draw compared to the weight you have to pull) of over 65% which sounds good, but will hurt your accuracy if your technique isn't good (and mine isn't)
A 80lb bow with over 80% let off will rip your shoulder apart if you have to let the bow down without fireing... then you can't draw the bow again... possibly for days.

As for guns, i would defiantly go a 30-30 lever action rifle, these things are indestructible, ultra reliable, put big holes in things, rarely if ever need cleaning, and ammo can be easily reloaded.
(i am so bad with a pistol it would be a liability to me)

music
7th January 2012, 05:43
Crossbows are not very accurate at any distance. A good compound bow is what is needed, with the hours put in to calibrate drop of the projectile over set distance, and for each weight of arrow you use, the drift at any given wind speed. Unless you have a sight, mark the bow progressively upwards for increased distance for rapid shooting. For small game, a cage trap is good. Most small mammals can't resist apple with a few drops of aniseed, but a mix of oats, peanut butter and honey works well, or just bread and jam. It is fundamentally the sweetness that attracts, because animals are keyed to the sweet taste for maximum energy budget benefits. Birds are best taken with a mist net strung across a flyway. One day I will play around with sling popularised by the biblical David. apparently they are very accurate, more so than a slingshot, with practice.

Many bows nowadays are adjustable for draw. Mine adjusts from 45 to 75 lb, and for something like deer for instance, you will need all of that 75 lb if you want a clean kill.

Arc
7th January 2012, 17:43
http://www.catsdomain.com/index.html

Here is one I recently found with an accurate laser sighting system that looks pretty amazing.

http://www.catsdomain.com/photos.htm

The also have a shotgun pouch attachment to fill full of scattering ammo like a bunch of BBs or rocksalt, if you are thinking more along the line of an urban deterrent.

http://www.catsdomain.com/shotgun.htm

Arc
7th January 2012, 17:49
Ok, this is a pretty creative one - a heavy slingshot zombie hammer, with ejector, for close quarters combat. This guy is clever.

i240YgsA_rs

DeDukshyn
7th January 2012, 18:09
RE: the OP,
Pretty cool slingshot! The design needs a bit of work though, but he certainly has the right idea. It needs to be a bit more stable / rugged, a longer stretch, needs at least a short barrel added to ensure they all go in the same direction, and an aiming device of some sort. But still way cool for some homebuilt contraption.

wolf_rt
7th January 2012, 18:10
that one is pretty nice....

Talking about anti zombie weapons (personal defense) the Shaolin shovel would be my pick

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/70/Monk-Spade.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monk%27s_spade

and would be easy to make. I would probably forgo the crescent end.. so more like a Halberd i guess... Not very good for inside/close quarters though.

DNA
8th January 2012, 09:14
Ok, this is a pretty creative one - a heavy slingshot zombie hammer, with ejector, for close quarters combat. This guy is clever.

Wow,,,,a slingshot slash zombie hammer, slash zombie spike with,,,and this is the best part,,,zombie skull removing lever.
I can't decide if this guy would be the best nieighbor in the world or the worst. I am really laughing my ass off, this guy is just great.