PDA

View Full Version : Interactive event idea

mojo
2nd January 2012, 16:33
ONLINE INTERACTIVE EVENT IDEA

Earlier I had high hopes that our Avalon chat module could be used in an interactive way, but it's a very basic chat applet and offers no voice option. It would be hard to carry on a discussion with a guest speaker. Is there another way to invite forum members into an online meeting that wish to participate in an online event? The guest speaker whom you all know and like has agreed to do this for Avalon members if it can be set up. The thought of something similar to what Kerry of Project Camelot did, perhaps using livestream or skype, could be used. Done by us and not place burdens on our Avalon volunteers, Bill or the Mod team. A question and answer has been thought about but that is the least interactive. I want to keep the name a surprise...:)

shadowstalker
2nd January 2012, 18:08
That would be so awesome

taizen
2nd January 2012, 18:21
Please keep us posted on the outcome-date, time, and mode of interaction. I haven't participated on Avalon Chat (briefly stepped in to observe). I'm only seeing the Skype option as the most favored. Thank you for this suggestion. Perhaps this will pave the way for such future events!

mojo
2nd January 2012, 18:35
It could be...the guest is awesome!..Only Ilie knows so far...;) But, it's going to take some work and help if it's decided to go ahead. If planned well perhaps another future event can be scheduled. This could be a great opportunity to set our forum apart from the others. After Ilie shared in a thread how the last one went there needs to be planning. A moderator will be needed and questions developed ahead of time to ask the guest and hopefully there is interest. Hopefully the thread will determine if we should go for it.

Cartomancer
2nd January 2012, 18:41
You could set up a blog with blogtalk radio added. It's easy to do. I think that allows group chat as well.

VaughnB
2nd January 2012, 21:09
I'm all for it. SKYPE has some limits.

Currently there is no method to change the current max of 25 for voice calls and 10 for group video.

Easily host big conference calls in Skype (http://blogs.skype.com/garage/2011/02/easily_host_big_conference_cal.html)

Ever had trouble starting up a big conference call (http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/features/allfeatures/conference-calls/)?
We have developed an experimental feature to allow you to host big group conference calls in an easier way, with no need to rely on people picking up the call when you start.
All you have to do is distribute one easy link to all participants - for participants, it's just one click to join the call.
By default, an audio conference call will be created, but if any of the participants has a Premium subscription for Group Video Calls (http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/features/allfeatures/group-video-calls/) then you can easily turn on video at any point in the call.
Hosting a conference call with automatic answering

mojo
2nd January 2012, 21:27
The Skype method might be the direction for the first time out at least that's the consensus behind the scenes. That would limit the number though. I watched how Kerry's Livestream had huge numbers of chatroom messages flying by and lot were disrespectful to guest Hoagland the important messages got missed. A lottery could be conducted with those interested if there are more people then the event can handle. It will be cheaper on Skype which many already use. Those members that arent able to attend could offer up questions on the forum in a thread for the guest speaker whom will be revealed later in time to post a new thread and rate the top questions. I'm sure many have read books by this author and will be happy when I mention whom it is...:)

shadowstalker
2nd January 2012, 21:31
how about doing interviews with members, I am sure they may have some very interesting things to say, from what I understand some of the members here have some insider info as well.

Cartomancer
2nd January 2012, 21:44
If you simply stick to PA members I think everything will be skippy. Access here is limited and everyone wouldn't be here if they wanted to troll an event like that.

VaughnB
3rd January 2012, 17:11
blog talk radio

mojo
3rd January 2012, 17:20
Hi VaughnB,
That might be a viable choice, but there only seems to be limited interest at this point, with just a few expressing interest. Maybe sometime in the near future if more people would be interested we can attempt something.