PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know Brazil

RMorgan
12th January 2012, 21:22
Hey guys,

This is a really good and fresh video about Brazil, from the 60 minutes show.

If you want to know my country a little bit better, this is a good way to start. :)

DMM7OJ_Kj9I

Cheers,

Raf.

vasquez
12th January 2012, 21:39
Looks a good place.

Deega
13th January 2012, 00:23
Thanks RMorgan to share this information on Brazil and it' people, I loved it!

I think that 60 Minutes did great job presenting your country! Do you think that 60 Minutes should of touched other things that would of sell, even better, Brazil and Brazilians?

All the best to you.

Deega

RMorgan
13th January 2012, 12:37
Thanks RMorgan to share this information on Brazil and it' people, I loved it!

I think that 60 Minutes did great job presenting your country! Do you think that 60 Minutes should of touched other things that would of sell, even better, Brazil and Brazilians?

All the best to you.

Deega

Hey Deega,

Well, they did a good job indeed, but, of course there are some things a little bit wrong.

First, if he wanted to detach the Brazilian image with Carnaval, Soccer and Samba, he should get out of this Rio thing. Every TV show, when talking about Brazil, keep showing Rio as it were the only big city in the country. São Paulo, as an example, is a much important city in terms of economics. Rio is absolutely chaos.

Probably, when a foreigner thinks about Brazil, the first image which comes to his mind is Rio. Brazil is much bigger than that, for sure.

Personally, I donīt play soccer, I donīt like samba and I donīt like carnaval, which is actually a HIV spreading machine. I know many people who think like me.

Also, he talks about ex-president Lula as he was a saint. Heīs not. Heīs a very corrupted man and he and his gang have stolen hundreds of millions of public money. He should be in jail.

Lula, of course, helped a lot in growing Brazilian economy. However, if now Brazil is in front of England in the economic rank, it only shows that a growing economy is not at all connected with social development. You canīt even compare Brazlian public services with Englandīs public services. Brazil is hundreds of years behind in terms of social development and the government keep talking about numbers.

Our government needs to start talking about people. Whatīs so good about a growing economy if almost half of the Brazilian people (90.000.000 people) barely know how to read?

Cheers,

Raf.

HORIZONS
13th January 2012, 13:52
First thing that comes to my mind when thinking about Brazil is beautiful beaches and disappearing rain-forest's - is that commercial programing? The reason I ask is that my wife just received the new Victoria's Secret catalog and it is shot on the beaches of Brazil - as so many catalog's like this are. I know this is only one aspect of Brazil but it is the one that is most promoted - just like Rio - and becomes and image in peoples mind of Brazil and its people. Personally I would like to see the non-mainstream areas of the country and its people - the backwoods if you will - and not just the popular tourists attractions. I can only imagine all the beauty that surrounds you there.

Cidersomerset
13th January 2012, 14:03
Thanks Raf for the update things are looking up for such a beautifull country and people......Just ready to be picked off by the elite if not carefull...

A country should be judged how they look after the poor and less fortunate and Brazil seems to trying to do that ,I hope this can happen within
its democracy and not interfered with by corrupt military or police......

All in all it could be a great 21 century for Brazil but there are signs greedy eyes from abroad might want to big a piece of the action..
investment and trading partners are great and hopefully they have learn't from the mistakes of the past....

I personally see Brazil as soccer paradise and can remember the 1970 wold cup team of Pele,Tostoa,Jairzinho, Rivelino's bendy free kicks
and the rest of the team being unstopable......Carnival is something we have in common although celebrated at different seasons
Brigwater has one of the oldest ongoing carnival traditions dating back to 1605 and Guy Fawkes....
Slums gangs and violence is also conjured up and I am glad they are trying to sort it out...

In the film President Lulu seems a genuine man of the people who practiced what he preached a rare breed of politicion able to do this without being
compromised or killed.....But as you say he has done deals with the Devil and is corrupt,they can afford to give the poor somthing to be able to
exploit its resources and the elites and rich will get richer...Watchout for the 'Banksters'....Every country is in the same boat to some degree and many have been
exhausted of raw materials....I hope Brazil can buck the trend and take the people out of poverty....Only time will tell....

Steve

alienHunter
13th January 2012, 14:30
One of my neighbors is from Brazil...Nice looking redhead...wowee. She is very nice. She told me how when she brought her family with her to Texas (about 4 years ago) her daughter who was in kindergarten at the time was slapped by a fellow bus rider enroute to school because she wouldn't stop speaking Spanish...typical Texan, I suppose.

RMorgan
13th January 2012, 14:32
One of my neighbors is from Brazil...Nice looking redhead...wowee. She is very nice. She told me how when she brought her family with her to Texas (about 4 years ago) her daughter who was in kindergarten at the time was slapped by a fellow bus rider enroute to school because she wouldn't stop speaking Spanish...typical Texan, I suppose.

Yeah...Specially if we consider that we speak Portuguese. If she was my daughter, I would give this guy a very hard lesson. ;)

Anyway about Brazil, unfortunately I can tell with 100% accuracy that the country is already sold out to the so called elite. This is one of the reasons that I donīt see such a bright future for Brazil in terms of social development. Well, educated people can cause a lot of trouble, right?

alienHunter
13th January 2012, 14:38
I suppose...but then again, some of them truly want to help...I think they find the road very hard, though.

Deega
13th January 2012, 16:44
Thanks Raf,

São Paulo, as an example, is a much important city in terms of economics. Rio is absolutely chaos.

I wonder if 60 Minutes researchers had a look at other great places like Sao Paulo, it would not seem like it, unfortunately. And I was not aware that Rio was living in chaos, is it economical, crime, otherwise…?

Personally, I donīt play soccer, I donīt like samba and I donīt like carnaval, which is actually a HIV spreading machine. I know many people who think like me.

Hmm!, Rio made a name for itself with the carnival, and probably HIV goes along with this great gathering of mostly young people, one great positive thing is inherently connected with a negative one.

Also, he talks about ex-president Lula as he was a saint. Heīs not. Heīs a very corrupted man and he and his gang have stolen hundreds of millions of public money. He should be in jail. Lula, of course, helped a lot in growing Brazilian economy. However, if now Brazil is in front of England in the economic rank, it only shows that a growing economy is not at all connected with social development. You canīt even compare Brazlian public services with Englandīs public services. Brazil is hundreds of years behind in terms of social development and the government keep talking about numbers.

I was not aware that Lula was corrupted and with his gang have stolen that much money. I have seen him on TV, having an important role with International Friends, seem to hold particular talents.

How infortunate, he didn’t do a good job social-wise, being, as I have heard many times that he was a man of the people, he would of take the opportunity to develop this important side of Nation building…, surprise!

Furthermore, I was not aware that so many Brazilians are illiterate, that a shame!, hope that the new President will make a difference..!

The best to you Raf.

Deega