PDA

View Full Version : What is That in the Western Sky ?

ghostrider
17th January 2012, 19:01
any help would be appreciated, it's in the western sky every night about 830 on. a little south/ southwest. a huge object smaller than the moon , but larger that any star in the sky. it is freakin me out, you can see it every night, about one hour after sunset. anyone that charts the positions of our solar system and planet locations near us, please help me figure this out and put my mind at rest. the darn thing makes me gaze at it like a zombie. go out tonight and take a look it will freak you out . could it be a mothership ?? I don't know. GR:confused:

EnergyGardener
17th January 2012, 19:16
any help would be appreciated, it's in the western sky every night about 830 on. a little south/ southwest. a huge object smaller than the moon , but larger that any star in the sky. it is freakin me out, you can see it every night, about one hour after sunset. anyone that charts the positions of our solar system and planet locations near us, please help me figure this out and put my mind at rest. the darn thing makes me gaze at it like a zombie. go out tonight and take a look it will freak you out . could it be a mothership ?? I don't know. GR:confused:

ghostrider,

I believe that is Jupiter. Something big has been going on with Jupiter for several months now. I had the same reaction in November, when it was not so far West.

But, I would also very much like to hear an informed response from an astronomer. I've not been able to find anything on the internet about the same.

MorningSong
17th January 2012, 19:29
Yes, I think it's Jupiter, too. It has crossed over to the west side of the moon and soon will be out of my view as it will set before the sky goes dark enough for me to see it.

I sure have enjoyed seeing it shining so brightly up there, followed by Orion, the little dipper and the moon....

This is a good site for finding out what's showing up in our night skies:

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/ataglance

WyoSeeker
17th January 2012, 19:41
That would be Venus. From central US Jupiter is more towards the east or overhead. Venus is normally the brightest object in the sky except the sun and moon. Not only is it our closest neighbor but it's wrapped in white clouds. Even when we're only seeing a phase of Venus it is so bright it's easily visible while the sun is still up.

MorningSong
17th January 2012, 20:11
I do choose to differ with you, friendly WyoSeeker. This is the site I follow here in Italy:

http://www.cacciatoridistelle.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=57

This confirms Jupiter square in the S at sundown (here) setting a bit earlier(declining) each evening for the next few months in the SW, with Venus in the early evening on the horizon (low in the sky) in the West, which I would not be able to see because of the mountains.

So, ghostrider, if what you are seeing remains in the sky for longer periods (up to 3 hours by the end of the month), it's Venus.....if it's setting sooner every evening, it might be Jupiter, IMHO.

EnergyGardener
17th January 2012, 20:47
Ghostrider,

If it has moons, it is likely Jupiter. If not, it is likely Venus.

Since November (when it started low in the Eastern Sky in N. Illinois) Jupiter has been larger and brighter than Venus.

Let us know.

ghostrider
17th January 2012, 23:25
it has four moons or some kind of diamond shaped objects that change positon around it , like they are towing it somewhere. thanks for the input everyone. much thanks. it could be venus. it just looks way too big, or way too close. it seems out of place in the sky. I have noticed it is right in line with the sunset and another bright object between orion and the sun. three big objects in a straight line.

EnergyGardener
17th January 2012, 23:32
Ghostrider,

I believe that is Jupiter with approximately 4 visible moons at any given time. I've spoken to numerous people that have remarked about it as well, including a pilot.

If not, I've been watching the same large craft you have for the past 3 months...

IS THERE AN ASTRONOMER IN THE HOUSE?

HURRY, THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!

Cheers (not actually, I'm drinking tea this evening),

Can my PA UK friends help me with the proper toast with tea that I might use as a sign-off?

jcocks
17th January 2012, 23:32
I've noticed it too.... You're right - I can't remember it ever being so bright before....

Turcurulin
17th January 2012, 23:45

Can my PA UK friends help me with the proper toast with tea that I might use as a sign-off?

Hi EnergyGardener, 'Cheers' works for tea, as well. I prefer it with tea toasts, personally.

EnergyGardener
17th January 2012, 23:56

Hi EnergyGardener, 'Cheers' works for tea, as well. I prefer it with tea toasts, personally.

Turcurulin,

Well, then Cheers, it will remain. I trust this will not be contradicted by our British friends?

My apology for getting off-topic.

Cheers,

Vitalux
17th January 2012, 23:58
Ghost

If you could give me an idea of what State of USA you are located in, and if possible the nearest major city that you are located in?
I would be more than happy to provide you with the information of exactly what you are seeing.
I will post the sky image of what you are looking at.
It can often be difficult to fully determine what someone is viewing in the sky, if we do not know where their vantage point is located.

Gary

One of my loves is astronomy.

For example....if you are live near Toronto Canada it would probably be Jupiter (which is bright) in that location of sky for that time of night.

Here is a photo taken tonight on "starry night pro" around 8:38 pm today.

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/stuarburstphotography/nightskyss.jpg

From my location "Venus" would have dropped below the Western horizon by 7:52 pm and would not have been able to be seen in the sky anymore.

However, depending on where you are, in the UNited States and with the time differences it is more than likely that on the West coast, you are viewing Venus ;) which would have been in that location in the sky and shinning brightly at 6:30 pm...here in Ontario.

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/stuarburstphotography/vens.jpg

gs_powered
18th January 2012, 12:35
I see Venus and Jupiter every day even before the sun completely goes down here in Portugal, they are the first 2 white dots in the sky (getting closer and closer every day btw).
I did realized by early December that Jupiter was in fact shining a lot more, I can only imagine how "cool" it must look through a telescope :)

markpierre
18th January 2012, 13:17
God I'm glad someone mentioned it. We've been saying 'damn-that thing is huge' for months now, and concluded it was Jupiter. But it's so obviously not like any planet we'd ever seen in our lives.

There has to be some phenomena associated with it's size and brightness. I was told it was at a near closest position, but that doesn't even quite explain it.

gs_powered
18th January 2012, 18:16
Well this is odd, I just looked outside and Venus (closer to the Horizon) is actually much brighter now than Jupiter. Jupiter has been brighter lately, nonetheless, but the fact is Venus is also displaying a much brighter light. Could this be an effect of our own atmosphere??

Carmody
18th January 2012, 18:20
Venus Transit across Sun June 5-6

Visible Pacific on evening of June 5

Rare: - Last event was June 8, 2004 Not seen again until 2117 and 2125. Previously in 1769, 1874, and 1882. Emphasis of the Divine Feminine.

9:09 pm est 6:09 pm pst

http://www.astroprofile.com/2012sky.htm

ghostrider
18th January 2012, 18:24
it seems bigger and brighter every night , something is going on and our lamestream media and N ever A S traight A nswer is silent. the brightest object in the night sky and they are mum... hmmmm ??

=[Post Update]=

God I'm glad someone mentioned it. We've been saying 'damn-that thing is huge' for months now, and concluded it was Jupiter. But it's so obviously not like any planet we'd ever seen in our lives.

There has to be some phenomena associated with it's size and brightness. I was told it was at a near closest position, but that doesn't even quite explain it.

it looks like it doesn't belong in the sky, much bigger than all the other stars, sometimes even brighter that the moon. very freaky. it has alot of energy around it, giving it a haze/glowing affect.