PDA

View Full Version : Window farming

778 neighbour of some guy
17th January 2012, 21:29
Hey everybody, i did a quick search if this was posted before a could not find it, but anyways, i am doing this now and it works quite well.

This is a must build for yourself if you live in a city and have a few windows in case SHTF and getting fresh produce gets hard.

Here are the plans, they work!!

http://www.windowfarms.org/

Choose A Windowfarm Version to Build
If you've got tools, space, a little extra time, and a knack for building things, constructing your own windowfarm gives you additional control to customize the system for your own setup. You will need to register on the community site and accept community terms of service before accessing the plans.
Version 2: Standing 3-Bottle Airlift Windowfarm

The V2 Windowfarm allows you to start small while you get the hang of caring for just a few plants. Materials cost as little as $30 USD and the project takes about an afternoon.
Please note: We are having difficulty with this file and we are experiencing an unusually heavy load of downloads. If the version you end up with is fuzzy or does not load, please come back next week and try again.
In the meantime, check out modified windowfarms designs other windowfarmers have built on our community site.
Thank you!

Version 3: Hanging 2-Column Organic-Ready Windowfarm

The version 3.0 Windowfarm design gives you more plants for your buck. Use one pump to supply 8-20 plants. The curved bottom reservoirs enable better use of organic nutrients. Total materials cost about $175USD with shipping. Set aside a day days to order all the parts online, several afternoons to gather recycled materials, and then about a weekend to build the system.

17th January 2012, 21:31
Window farming

Hey everybody, i did a quick search if this was posted before a could not find it, but anyways, i am doing this now and it works quite well.

This is a must build for yourself if you live in a city and have a few windows in case SHTF and getting fresh produce gets hard.

Here are the plans, they work!! Could not copy the images for some reason but just follow the link. Have fun!!:cool:

http://www.windowfarms.org/

Choose A Windowfarm Version to Build
If you've got tools, space, a little extra time, and a knack for building things, constructing your own windowfarm gives you additional control to customize the system for your own setup. You will need to register on the community site and accept community terms of service before accessing the plans.
Version 2: Standing 3-Bottle Airlift Windowfarm

The V2 Windowfarm allows you to start small while you get the hang of caring for just a few plants. Materials cost as little as $30 USD and the project takes about an afternoon.
Please note: We are having difficulty with this file and we are experiencing an unusually heavy load of downloads. If the version you end up with is fuzzy or does not load, please come back next week and try again.
In the meantime, check out modified windowfarms designs other windowfarmers have built on our community site.
Thank you!

Version 3: Hanging 2-Column Organic-Ready Windowfarm

The version 3.0 Windowfarm design gives you more plants for your buck. Use one pump to supply 8-20 plants. The curved bottom reservoirs enable better use of organic nutrients. Total materials cost about $175USD with shipping. Set aside a day days to order all the parts online, several afternoons to gather recycled materials, and then about a weekend to build the system.

joedjemal
17th January 2012, 21:40
I've done this when I lived in a city, you get an amazing amount of food out of it, I had every window full of plants. Hand watered it though. And used pots on ikea self assembly book shelves.

17th January 2012, 21:46
I've done this when I lived in a city, you get an amazing amount of food out of it, I had every window full of plants. Hand watered it though. And used pots on ikea self assembly book shelves.

I got myself a large plastic storage container with a lid on it, drilled ( melted) six holes in them screwed a stack of coke bottles on them ( three for each hole) dumped in a small water pump which pumps up the water about 1.5 meters split the hoses into five, added a timed and soon i will be nauseus ( sorry for the spelling) from strawberries ( grows really fast, its amazing).

You can also use a coat rack to hang a whole string of bottles on, nice dense vertical growing area.( next project, need cash :rolleyes:)

joedjemal
17th January 2012, 22:28
Sounds good. I no longer have windows as such though, i moved to a permaculture community. Thinking of trying aquaculture after I get all the raised beds done.

panopticon
18th January 2012, 06:44
G'day 665 plumber of the beast,

Looks like a good little vertical hydroponic system.
If you have a bit of a veranda check out Jim Fah's Autopot system:
http://www.autopot.com.au/

Works a treat and uses almost any form of growing medium.
It's modular (hence extendible), low-tech and can be left alone for weeks at a time if need be.
Kind Regards, :yo:
Panopticon

18th January 2012, 19:56
G'day 665 plumber of the beast,

Looks like a good little vertical hydroponic system.
If you have a bit of a veranda check out Jim Fah's Autopot system:
http://www.autopot.com.au/

Works a treat and uses almost any form of growing medium.
It's modular (hence extendible), low-tech and can be left alone for weeks at a time if need be.
Kind Regards, :yo:
Panopticon

Thank you very much, looks interesting, i check the site out a bit better later;)