PDA

View Full Version : Troubles with meditating... I think.

jason4444
19th January 2012, 19:49
Hi all,
I started trying to meditate about a month and a half ago and I don't know if I'm even doing it correctly. I'm ADHD and i've been prescribed with Adderall Xr since i started kindergarden. (I'm a freshman in college now). My dosage is 60mg. If my memory serves me correctly, I've only gone 2 or 3 days without my medicine since I started taking it. It doesn't cause any problems, whatsoever, in my day to day activities, or with my sleeping habits. However, ever since I started trying to meditate I feel as if I'm just too awake sometimes. I know I'm doing something right because I do feel very relaxed when I'm meditating, but I just can't seem to take any further. I was wondering if anyone had some tips or techniques or something.

Tony
19th January 2012, 20:06
Hello Jason

There are some threads about meditation both currently and in the archives of PA - look in the Spirituality section.
Do you have any idea of how you would like to take it further?

Tony

conk
19th January 2012, 20:28
Jason, do not label yourself. You are succumbing to a mind program. Someone, likely a doctor, told you that you have ADHD. Now you live your life under this invalid assumption. "I have ADHD". NO YOU DO NOT! You are simply nutritionally unbalanced. You are deficient in vitamins B and may be suffering from what could be called subclinical Pellagra.

Most young people in the USA eat ZERO foods containing B vitamins. And sugar? How much do you eat or consume? Do you drink sodas? If so, STOP at once. Jason, you need real food to heal your brain and nervous system. Eliminate wheat and all gluten. Find a high quality, raw food based B supplement and take it for many months, if not forever. You need real foods, like butter, meat, fish, chicken, liver, all veggies and fruits, seeds, nuts, and quality unprocessed oils like cod liver oil and olive oil.

You absolutely must stop taking the medication. You are at serious risk of future cancers and other serious ailments. These drugs are deadly and not to be used period.

Good luck with your meditating, but take care of your brain first. Eat well, be well. Many blessing and much love,

Conk

Semnyi
19th January 2012, 20:57
Hi Jason.
I have received meditation training at the first Buddhist Monestary founded in north america by Dorje Dradul Chogyam Trungpa
Rinpoche which is about three hours drive from where I live now. I was diagnosed adhd when I was five and have been on a
wide variety of medications, so I can relate to your situation as many can. Simple is better, some meditation is called formless,
no technique, just observe your mind's play.
The form of meditation is not very complex, Shamatha literally means calm abiding, resting the mind, following your breath
and labeling your thoughts simply as thinking. Vipassyana is the other part of this meditation which considers the activity of the
mind, thats allot deeper. There are all kinds of habitual patterns
beginner meditators are prone to. Zen mind beginner's mind, means if you think you are a master you are not. Be a child of illusion,
as you learn more you will be able to understand more subtle teachings. Most basic, be gentle to yourself, dont expect too much,
start with a very short time five to fifteen minutes in the early morning is often best. Here are a few links to the Shambhala
Lineage of which I have received refuge.
http://www.shambhala.org The Shambhala Lineage of Enlightened Warriorship
http://www.gampobbey.org Karma Kagyu Buddhist Monestary located in Cape Breton, Canada
http://www.rinpoche.com Venerable Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche who I had the pleasure of learning from this past summer
http://www.mipham.com The head lineage holder of Shambhala who I met in 2010
good luck,
your friend Semnyi

Ineffable Hitchhiker
19th January 2012, 20:59
Jason, do not label yourself. You are succumbing to a mind program. Someone, likely a doctor, told you that you have ADHD. Now you live your life under this invalid assumption. "I have ADHD". NO YOU DO NOT! You are simply nutritionally unbalanced. You are deficient in vitamins B and may be suffering from what could be called subclinical Pellagra.

Most young people in the USA eat ZERO foods containing B vitamins. And sugar? How much do you eat or consume? Do you drink sodas? If so, STOP at once. Jason, you need real food to heal your brain and nervous system. Eliminate wheat and all gluten. Find a high quality, raw food based B supplement and take it for many months, if not forever. You need real foods, like butter, meat, fish, chicken, liver, all veggies and fruits, seeds, nuts, and quality unprocessed oils like cod liver oil and olive oil.

You absolutely must stop taking the medication. You are at serious risk of future cancers and other serious ailments. These drugs are deadly and not to be used period.

Good luck with your meditating, but take care of your brain first. Eat well, be well. Many blessing and much love,

Conk

Your advice is noble, conk and I absolutely agree with everything you have said.
And yet, instilling fear, when wanting to meditate, is a bit radical. :becky:
Perhaps a gentler way would be to introduce better nutrition immediately and slowly wean oneself off the medication.
We are in no position to know exactly what personal situation Jason is in.

Jason, all the best and I tip my hat at your intention. :yo:
As suggested already, have a look in the spiritual section of the forum.
There are many paths and many different ways of meditating.
Find one that speaks to your heart.

conk
19th January 2012, 21:11

Conk

Your advice is noble, conk and I absolutely agree with everything you have said.
And yet, instilling fear, when wanting to meditate, is a bit radical. :becky:
Perhaps a gentler way would be to introduce better nutrition immediately and slowly wean oneself off the medication.
We are in no position to know exactly what personal situation Jason is in.

Jason, all the best and I tip my hat at your intention. :yo:
As suggested already, have a look in the spiritual section of the forum.
There are many paths and many different ways of meditating.
Find one that speaks to your heart. I cannot argue with your proposed, softer approach. It's just that this is a hot issue for me. I see several young boys that are being poisoned by their doctor and parents, without so much as a nod to nutrition. These young children will suffer greatly for neglecting their bodies and for putting vile poisons into them.

So, yes Jason, find your path in your heart. Great advice always. Just chew on some yummy veggies while you contemplate. ;)

nomadguy
20th January 2012, 01:49
This is a good thread for this, - http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?38721-Meditation-is-very-simple.

christian
21st January 2012, 18:34
Make some efforts to have a healthy diet and leave out those chemicals, you don't need them, ADHD is merely the label a sick society puts on people, that do not fit into this society 'properly'. You're perfectly fine.

As for the meditation; just keep doing it, the advice will come right in time and you will wonder where it came from, when you suddenly get an insight.

jason4444
21st January 2012, 18:44
How do you reply to individual responses? That way each of my replies to each one of you doesn't appear as if I'm talking to only the person who replied directly above me.

Tony
21st January 2012, 18:47
How do you reply to individual responses? That way each of my replies to each one of you doesn't appear as if I'm talking to only the person who replied directly above me.

hello Jason,
press reply with quote button, and just reply.

It took me ages to work stuff out!!!!!

Tony

jason4444
21st January 2012, 18:56

hello Jason,
press reply with quote button, and just reply.

It took me ages to work stuff out!!!!!

Tony

Ahhh okay now I see. :P In response to your first post I am particularly interested in remote viewing and astral projection, however, I am open to any kind of technique or kind of meditation that will help me push things further along.

jason4444
21st January 2012, 19:00
Make some efforts to have a healthy diet and leave out those chemicals, you don't need them, ADHD is merely the label a sick society puts on people, that do not fit into this society 'properly'. You're perfectly fine.

As for the meditation; just keep doing it, the advice will come right in time and you will wonder where it came from, when you suddenly get an insight.

Thank you and I will try to eat healthier however, it is kind of hard to eat healthy on a college campus. :P

christian
21st January 2012, 20:12
it is kind of hard to eat healthy on a college campus. :P

I bet it is. It's also hard to ride on a 90 foot wave with a surfboard, but it can be done.
Just stay away from the toxins, that are added to the food and water as good as you can and get some basic nutritients.

http://whudat.de/images/90_foot_wave_world_record.jpg

onawah
21st January 2012, 20:34
I find that meditating in a natural setting is very conducive to a good session.
I take a walk in the woods and sit with my back against a favorite tree, which helps very much with grounding.
Once I am grounded and feel safe, comfortable and relaxed, it's much easier to just BE.
Meditating with a candle is a nice way to get focused if you are indoors.
Darken the room if needed and just sit comfortably with a lit candle in view of relaxed, downcast eyes.
If you are bothered by noise, get some earplugs or use earphones and listen to a tape of running water or something similar that will calm your mind, but not distract.
Finding someone else or a group to meditate with can be very helpful too.
You will probably find some on your campus if you know where to look.
Namaste

markpierre
21st January 2012, 21:33
Hi all,
I started trying to meditate about a month and a half ago and I don't know if I'm even doing it correctly. I'm ADHD and i've been prescribed with Adderall Xr since i started kindergarden. (I'm a freshman in college now). My dosage is 60mg. If my memory serves me correctly, I've only gone 2 or 3 days without my medicine since I started taking it. It doesn't cause any problems, whatsoever, in my day to day activities, or with my sleeping habits. However, ever since I started trying to meditate I feel as if I'm just too awake sometimes. I know I'm doing something right because I do feel very relaxed when I'm meditating, but I just can't seem to take any further. I was wondering if anyone had some tips or techniques or something.

It'd be good if we had a switch eh? Brain switch. Then we'd be playing with the switch all the time and forget what we were doing.

babbleBLANKbabbleBLANKbabbleBLAAAAANKbabbleBLAAAAAAAAAANK (hey I'm getting better at this)

What are you looking for when you try to get beyond your thoughts? Mind is thought. Isn't the thing that's trying to do that just engaging in another idea that there's something else going on?
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think so.
What's wrong with your thoughts that you want to escape from them? Do you want to escape from the thoughts you like? Or just the crappy ones.

That's not a challenge to meditators. Meditation is or should be a discipline. You do it for your own purpose, but it has it's own purpose. It nets an outcome, but it won't be what you want it to be, it'll be what it is.
I meditate a lot, but I don't mean to.
It's not to escape from your thoughts, or organize them differently. It's to not be so freeking attached to them.

So watch your thoughts. Now you're engaging another part of your mind, and that's the useful part. The part that can allow change to occur. You can't be your thoughts and watch them at the same time.
You don't need emptiness, you need change. You change continually anyway, but you can cooperate with it a little and it gets much more enjoyable. You're changing into something really cool.

You'll notice something kind of interesting. You only have a few distinct thoughts that keep cycling around and around.
Do any of them mean anything? No. But you might need a good hard look at them to decide that for yourself.
Do any conceptual thoughts have any meaning? None. You don't even know which thoughts are your own.

Memories drop in, but they're just old recycled thoughts that escape from the dust bin. They'll represent something current that you're feeling, or need to feel.
It's good to empty the bin once in awhile. But you can't do that without looking at and getting the unclarified point of them.
Forgiving whatever it is that's still bugging you is generally the point. Letting go of judgements .

Whats the point of transcending something that you can't escape from? But if you can get that your thoughts have no effect on anything whatever except your own comfort or discomfort,
the useful part of your mind will just stop trying to make them all so bloody important. They won't distract you anymore. You'll stop engaging so much with them. You'll learn to see right past them.
You can't look past them, because you can't know what you're looking for. It's a surprise.

That's where all the cool stuff is. Mind unburdened by it's reactions to it's thoughts, not a mind with no thoughts.

But hey, don't pay any attention to me, I'm just thinking.

You're doing alright. Just keep it up.

meeradas
22nd January 2012, 08:13
Mind unburdened by its reactions to its thoughts

Coolness. That's it.

[whole post great , btw]

Maia Gabrial
22nd January 2012, 15:59
Consider this: your meditations are being interfered with. Dark entities are her
e and wreaking havoc with everyone.
My advice is to do a verbal guided meditation for yourself. Use the power of the SPOKEN WORD. Whatever you intended to use your meditation for, (world peace, healing Mother Earth and humanity, whatever,...) use your voice to guide you through. The dark entities can only interfere so far, but they CAN'T mess with your power of
voice....Incredibly strange, I know. But guide yourself through your meditation when it feels particularly difficult. When you're done, just listen.....

Maia Gabrial
24th January 2012, 02:35
I'd like to add that if a person thinks there's only one way to meditate, then there's only one way for THEM....

Anchor
24th January 2012, 03:26
I'd like to add that if a person thinks there's only one way to meditate, then there's only one way for THEM....

Yup - in fact there are as many ways for Earthlings to meditate as there are Earthlings on the planet :)